PDA

View Full Version : Using Fire Warriors as Pathfinders - thoughts?

Hawkeye
19-12-2005, 06:27
Since the Fire Warrior and Pathfinder stat-lines are identical, and even their saves are identical, I'm wondering what people would think of using slightly modified FW models instead of more $$ intensive Pathfinders...

My plan is to paint them very differently - camo scheme as opposed to bold colours - and not attach the large shoulder plate of the FW sprue. And, of course, give them Carbines.

I just can't quite justify the cost for metal figs at the moment, but am kinda curious how people would think of the idea.

Saethiel
19-12-2005, 06:41
I did the same thing. I also reshaped the helmet so the arial was not attached and it looked more streamlined. I also didnt use the backpacks, instead I stuck the photon grenades on where the backpack was, it looks pretty good.

AngelofSorrow
19-12-2005, 06:45
I did the same when i had my tau no one complained i make a lot of usually metal model out of basic plastic stuff
(Wardancers, Eternal Guard, Wild Riders, Tomb Guard just to name a few)

Hawkeye
19-12-2005, 07:03
Good call on the backpack, Saethiel, but I'm not sure what to do about that one personally. One argument is that as Pathfinders, they'll actually have more equipment, and thus have bigger packs than their Fire Warrior comrades. On the other hand, it could be argued they down-packs in their APC before getting into a scrap.

Hm. Maybe just trim some of the protuberances off the pack, and just leave the clips.

Decius
19-12-2005, 07:45
I don't think so, that's blantant cheating. Just becasue you don't have the money doesn't mean you can break the rules. I'm telling my mommy.

Just kidding. I seems like a great idea to me. I have done stranger things with fire warriors, so there is no reason for me to criticize you. In an Inquisitor game, I used fire warriors to represent human female civilians. One actually broke up a bar fight by by holding back her boyfirend and saying "no baby don't do it!". Good Times.

Ivan Stupidor
19-12-2005, 15:17
Probably the most important feature distinguishing Pathfinders from Fire Warriors is their Markerlights. It would probably be best if you made some (just some doohickey on top of the carbine would do), but I'd certainly let you use them.

SAMAS
19-12-2005, 15:50
I don't think so, that's blantant cheating. Just becasue you don't have the money doesn't mean you can break the rules. I'm telling my mommy.

It's not blatantly cheating, just blatantly cheap. :D

And it might not help too much if you decide to use Rail Rifles or Sniper Drones. :evilgrin:

Just kidding. I seems like a great idea to me. I have done stranger things with fire warriors, so there is no reason for me to criticize you. In an Inquisitor game, I used fire warriors to represent human female civilians. One actually broke up a bar fight by by holding back her boyfirend and saying "no baby don't do it!". Good Times.

Ummm, aren't Fire Warriors completely on the wrong scale for Inquisitor? :wtf:

AngelofSorrow
19-12-2005, 15:52
It's not blatantly cheating, just blatantly cheap. :D

No its blatantly using your imagination, ingenuity, and bits to achieve cool Troops for cheaper and u get to make your own poses :D

Stouty
19-12-2005, 16:04
Ummm, aren't Fire Warriors completely on the wrong scale for Inquisitor? :wtf:

Probably was playing Inq28.

Zabuza
19-12-2005, 16:52
I don't see any problems with using Fire Warriors. Props to your creativity.

The Orange
19-12-2005, 18:46
As long as you have made an good effort to deffrintiate them from your regular FWs, I wouldent have a problem, but its a good idea to try to make some marklights to put on the carbines, then no one should be able to get confused.

Psiweapon
19-12-2005, 19:29
Hey, as long as you've done yout best to malke them different and they actually DO look different, it's perfectly ok! They're your toys and that's CONVERTING. Anything that meets WYSIWYG can be fielded, IMHO.

raptor2005
19-12-2005, 20:24
i've never don it but i'll give it a try and also just wate till some time next year when the new rules for the Tue come out and im ading this when the 4th or 5th ed of rules come out gune drowns can't cach dulits for others but it is the other way other have to cach the dulits for the droins

brother_fandango
19-12-2005, 20:33
as long as they get shot to pieces by my bolters, all the better.

Hawkeye
19-12-2005, 22:12
Thanks folks. I had been thinking about the marker-lights, and I'll probably just trim and shape some sprue off-cuts (or even spare sensor fins from FW helmets) for the markerlights, and use the binocular arms from the Devilfish kit for the team leader. Give the whole unit that out there, scoutin' around look and feel.

Psiweapon
20-12-2005, 01:21
as long as they get shot to pieces by my bolters, all the better.
Dirty follower of a carcass god of dead ideals!

AgentZero
20-12-2005, 01:33
Since the Fire Warrior and Pathfinder stat-lines are identical, and even their saves are identical, I'm wondering what people would think of using slightly modified FW models instead of more $$ intensive Pathfinders...

My plan is to paint them very differently - camo scheme as opposed to bold colours - and not attach the large shoulder plate of the FW sprue. And, of course, give them Carbines.

I just can't quite justify the cost for metal figs at the moment, but am kinda curious how people would think of the idea.

Do it. Just make sure the two units are clearly differentiated.
There's no reason or way another player can object. You're using conversions , it's all good.

Then, if anyone complains, take a hammer to their army and ask "How do you like me now?":skull:

Amon Ra
20-12-2005, 03:08
Good call on the backpack, Saethiel, but I'm not sure what to do about that one personally. One argument is that as Pathfinders, they'll actually have more equipment, and thus have bigger packs than their Fire Warrior comrades. On the other hand, it could be argued they down-packs in their APC before getting into a scrap.

Hm. Maybe just trim some of the protuberances off the pack, and just leave the clips.

Some tips

1. Put FW backpack on upside down (it does look good).
2. Place sensor fin thingo on end of carbines (like a bayonette).
2a. If you have kroot, place one of thier bag thingys on the base of the backpack (gives a feral ranger look).
3. Paint in very different colour scheme to the rest of your force.

Hawkeye
20-12-2005, 03:56
Some tips

2a. If you have kroot, place one of thier bag thingys on the base of the backpack (gives a feral ranger look).

Hey, now that's a good idea. In fact, one could imagine a squad of Pathfinders who have learnt their fieldcraft from the Kroot, and who may have gone a bit native... I like it! I might theme the entire squad this way.

FireN.Brimstone
22-12-2005, 20:57
I've been considering making a Tau army for some time now, but haven't yet got a chance to hold the models in my hand. That said what is the actual difference between the models? As far as I can tell they are identically equipped to a Firewarriors with a carbine except that they have a marklight with a wire going from it to their helmet. The only other difference I can see is that traditional pathfinders might not have shin guards. I mean really if they only difference is putting a marklight unit on top of a carbine and then a wire from the marklight to the helmet it seems really odd that they just don't include a marklight bit with the firewarrior sprue so you could make Pathfinders out of the current kit...

SAMAS
22-12-2005, 21:45
No its blatantly using your imagination, ingenuity, and bits to achieve cool Troops for cheaper and u get to make your own poses :D Like I said. Cheap. :D

I'm not going to make a value judgement either way, but a spade is a spade.

AngelofSorrow
23-12-2005, 08:57
Making non plastic troops out of plastic is great my Pathfinders were very feral i didnt put helmets on tem and gave them some of the stuff from the kroot sprue and some IG bitz and they looked great
I do this same thing all the time im working on plastic Wild Riders and Wardancers as we speak and have already done Tomb Guard