PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Build for Choas Lord on Dragon?

Draco74
21-04-2009, 14:41
I know that there are other threads about equiping Lords, but I am looking
for help on equiping a lord that is specificaly on a dragon.
I have a tournament coming up whith 2,750 pt limt. I don't usually take
Lords or Dragons and I was wanting to know the best way to equip them.

I have two different builds right now.

1. Chaos Lord of Tzeentch +1 to Ward saves
Diabolic Splender (35 gift) -1 Ld vs. his terror test
Chaos Runesword (50 weapon) +1 WS, S & A
Enchanted Shield (15 Armor) +2 to Armor save
Collar of Khorne (25 talisman) MR (2) 6+ Ward (5+ with MoT)
Favor of the Gods (5 enchanted) re-roll on Eotgt
710 pts total with 2+ armor and 5+ ward

2. Chaos Lord of Nurgle -1 to enemy WS and BS
Flail (8) +2 S first round of combat
Diabolic Splender (35 gift) -1 Ld vs. his terror test
Armor of Morrslieb (35 armor) 4+ AS 4+ Ward vs. Non-magic
Crown of Conquest (50 talisman) 4+ Regeneration
Favor of the Gods (5 enchanted) re-roll on Eotgt
723 pts total with 4+ AS, 4+ Ward vs. Non Magic & 4+ Reg

Right now I am leaning towards number two because of the -1 to be shot
at will balance out the Large Target of the Dragon. Also having an armor, ward and regeneration would be great. Unless some one had a flaming magical weapon (how offten could that happen :)), then I'm in my
underwear.

Any way which looks better or let me know if some one has any better ideas.

Thanks

kardar233
22-04-2009, 05:02
Firstly, take out those points costs. Right away. Also, be a bit more skimpy on what the items do, as most of the people who will be answering will have the Warriors book and can therefore look up what the item in question does.

Secondly, you don't need a whole lot of offense as a Terror-causing at -1 character will break most units with the dragon's attacks alone, so focus more on keeping them alive. I'd go with #2 as well, seeing as it makes it nastily hard to do anything to him. Except for one thing: Drop the flail and the Armour of Morrslieb, replace with Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Sword of Might and shield.

changer of fate
22-04-2009, 05:16
Take a sorcerer lord on dragon instead, trust me, it is way better.

this is my dragon that i use

Lvl 4 sorcerer lord 735
dragon
mark of tzeentch
collar of khorne
power familiar
sword of might
enchanted shield

very survivable, MR 2, 2+ armor save, 5+ ward save, 5 power dice a turn and 3 str 5 attacks from the rider

this is another one i use alternate to the first

Lvl 4 sorcerer lord 770
Mark of tzeentch
dragon
armor of morrslieb
crown of everlasting conquest
fury of blood god
spell familiar

THis one is so tough to kill, it has never die in any games. 3+ ward save against none magical attacks, 3+ ward save against magic, 4+ regeneration save, 4+ armor save and Magic resistance 2 and not to mention 5 spells!

urien
22-04-2009, 07:20
Lvl 4 sorcerer lord 770
Mark of tzeentch
dragon
armor of morrslieb
crown of everlasting conquest
fury of blood god
spell familiar

THis one is so tough to kill, it has never die in any games. 3+ ward save against none magical attacks, 3+ ward save against magic, 4+ regeneration save, 4+ armor save and Magic resistance 2 and not to mention 5 spells

sorry to break youre bubble but that's illeagal setup, fury of the blood god gift forbids you to take any other magic items...

to say anything about setups -

try sorcerer lord with spell familiar, regen, eye of tzeentch and shadow lore- unseen lurker and those proppelled flank charges are really nice , although theyre going to be mass disspelled.

cheers,
Urien

Pichamorena
22-04-2009, 08:46
I think is easylier to kill the dragon than the lord. It's not necesary take tons of wards for the lord.

I dont like use dragons, but sometimes can be funny. I was thinking in a Sorcerer lord of Tzeentch with enchanted shield, collar of khorne (necesary the magic resistance and 5+ ward save). You dont need to take a powerfull magic weapon, dragon must be enough, and you may challenger (normaly, our oponents accept the challenger with a simple champion). Level 3 or 4 sorcerer, dragons fires and the gift of 1D6 impacts of S1 without AS, and terror, to shoot our opponets' units. To our rival's dragons/monsters we can use magic.

Another cheaper version is a lord on manticore.

Why dont you use Archaon? Its perfect for a 2750 points tournament ^^.

urien
22-04-2009, 09:21
archie is a SC , theyre banned in my country. for a reason.

Draco74
22-04-2009, 12:09
Thank you for the ideas. I wasn't sure what to focus on, hitting hard or defence. I know that the Dragon is actually the weak links in this (no ward saves to use against war machines) and thought that I should just try to get him into combat fast. For a Sorcerer Lord, I usually give him a Disc, that way the Golden Eye gives the whole model a 3+ Ward (MoT). I figure if I'm going to be spending 360 pts on a Dragon with 6 S6 attacks, then it should be fighting.

Kalec
23-04-2009, 02:22
The second setup is better, with MoT over MoN because the most dangerous things do not require to-hit rolls.

I would recommend word of agony over splendour to help with defensive enemy characters that try to tarpit your lord, or for faster fighty chars that go for the kill on your lord, which is actually quite easy to do with a ward most assassins will laugh at.

Kerill
23-04-2009, 06:25
Dragon with a nurgle sorceror lord rider is an option as well,-1 to hit for shooting (i.e. bolt throwers), a 4+ regen spell for the dragon and rider and curse of the leper goes nicely with the double breath attack.

A bit different to what you usually see as well.

Avian
23-04-2009, 07:24
My current thinking favours:

Chaos Lord @ 725 pts
Mark of Tzeentch
Sword of Might
Collar of Khorne
Armour of Morrslieb
Shield
Death's Head
Diabolic Splendour
Chaos Dragon

The_Dragon_Rising
23-04-2009, 10:35
I currently- after many different set-ups run: Lord on Dragon w/Flail, Enchanted Shield, Crown of Everlasting Conquest and Eye of the Gods. He has the aggressive power with the flail and the dragon so literally you need protection- he also only pulls in at 648pts.