PDA

View Full Version : Aiming for 1k, not sure what to cut.

dariakus
21-04-2009, 16:06
Playing a 1k game this week, and I'm trying to put together a list. What I've currently got is 44 points too large. I'm considering dropping a detachment, but I figured I'd toss it out to you guys and see if you all had any suggestions. I'm still relatively new to the Empire, so I trust you more than I trust myself for now

Heroes
Warrior Priest - 153p
* Enchanted Shield
* Heavy Armor
* Barded Warhorse
* Doomfire Ring

Battle Wizard - 130p
* Lv2 Upgrade
* Rod of Power

Core
Swordsmen x25 - 273p
* Full command
* Free Company x10 Detachment
* Archers x6 Detachment

Swordsmen x25 - 273p
* Full command
* Free Company x10 Detachment
* Archers x6 Detachment

Knightly Orders x5 - 115p

Special
Great Cannon - 100p

Total - 1044p

I could cut any one of my detachments and be gold. The question is, which to cut?

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback you can provide. I look forward to it!

Malorian
21-04-2009, 16:35
Reduce the free company to 5 models each.

They might not be good for counter charging anymore, but they become perfect 50 point throw away units to control the movement phase.

dariakus
21-04-2009, 17:49
Would it make more sense to just drop one of the free company detachments altogether?

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to use detachments of 5. I definitely like the idea of having those two small units. Just not sure how effective I can make them.

Tizz
21-04-2009, 17:52
I'd say drop the Rod of Power. I see little use for it in only 1k

dariakus
21-04-2009, 18:07
Dropping the rod basically means dropping the wizard and the Doomfire Ring--getting rid of magic altogether.

I suppose that's one possibility :)

dariakus
21-04-2009, 22:42
Updated list:

Heroes
Warrior Priest - 149p
* Armor of Meteoric Iron
* Doomfire Ring
* Great Weapon

Battle Wizard - 130p
* Lv2 Upgrade
* Rod of Power

Core
Swordsmen x23 - 248p (WP goes here)
* Full command
* Free Company x9 Detachment
* Archers x5 Detachment

Swordsmen x24 - 254p (Wiz goes here)
* Full command
* Archers x5 Detachment

Knightly Orders x5 - 115p

Special
Great Cannon - 100p

Total - 996p

Feels much tighter. Never run an unmounted WP before, but I'm sure his hatred will make the swordsmen that much more epic. I'm considering running the wizard on foot--I realize this is now more of a tactical question, but what's the general advice for that kind of thing? Should I keep him protected in the big block--which limits what that block can do and where he can cast--or should I let him roam free, naked to enemy fire, but freeing up my second swordsman block to be more aggressive?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cats Laughing
21-04-2009, 22:51
I'm considering running the wizard on foot--I realize this is now more of a tactical question, but what's the general advice for that kind of thing? Should I keep him protected in the big block--which limits what that block can do and where he can cast--or should I let him roam free, naked to enemy fire, but freeing up my second swordsman block to be more aggressive?

Thanks again for the feedback!

You can attempt to roam free against certain armies and in some situations (using terrain), but against some opponents, roaming free is nothing more than a death wish.

In my first game back to Fantasy, I discounted the effect the newish targeting rules for characters would have and lost both my wizard and general on turn one to a single Skaven assassin (the general went down to a stand and shoot reaction...). In my almost all of my following games, opposing solo mages have been RBT/Archer/magic missile fodder, while my mages have hidden in units or behind terrain from anything with a ranged ability.

So you can fly him solo when opportunity presents (no ranged attacks able to gain LOS or an opportunity to change the game, where sacrifice would be ok), but otherwise in units is much safer...

dariakus
21-04-2009, 23:03
You can attempt to roam free against certain armies and in some situations (using terrain), but against some opponents, roaming free is nothing more than a death wish.

In my first game back to Fantasy, I discounted the effect the newish targeting rules for characters would have and lost both my wizard and general on turn one to a single Skaven assassin (the general went down to a stand and shoot reaction...). In my almost all of my following games, opposing solo mages have been RBT/Archer/magic missile fodder, while my mages have hidden in units or behind terrain from anything with a ranged ability.

So you can fly him solo when opportunity presents (no ranged attacks able to gain LOS or an opportunity to change the game, where sacrifice would be ok), but otherwise in units is much safer...

That being the case, is it worth all those points just for a Wizard sponge?

Also, dang, I just realized that my WP is illegal--too many points in magic items. Getting rid of the doomfire ring will kill a bound spell, which could hurt the effectiveness of having a level 2 wizard.

EDIT: Ok, fixed the WP. Basically put him back to how he used to be.

Heroes
Warrior Priest - 153p
* Enchanted Shield
* Heavy Armor
* Barded Warhorse
* Doomfire Ring

Battle Wizard - 130p
* Lv2 Upgrade
* Rod of Power

Core
Swordsmen x23 - 248p (WP goes here?)
* Full command
* Archers x5 Detachment

Swordsmen x24 - 254p (Wiz goes here)
* Full command
* Archers x5 Detachment

Knightly Orders x5 - 115p (Or maybe WP goes here?)

Special
Great Cannon - 100p

Total - 1000p on the nose.

Not sure if I'd put the WP into the swordsmen block or the knights--the knights probably need him more than the swordsmen do. This is at least legal now :)