170pts

Special

Speak chucka 35
bully 5pts
40pts

Total:
1495pts

----------------

This is designed as a utility army for taking on anything in a small tournament. I know damn well that I should lose a character and put another big unit in, or another spear chucka, or upgrade the orc unit to big uns and add another rank... but I'm limited on what I can afford money-wise, and I have most of the above already. Also- I'm considering putting the two spear-armed NG units up to 30 apiece, with 2 fanatics in one and the other in the other. Ideas?

Apologies if this is a boring, characterless read.

Bone

Unite All Action
21-04-2009, 20:51
Just one suggestion you do not need full command in your goblin units it is a waste of point musician is only needed

night Gobelins come within two categories big and small units

Small units should be 20 Goblin strong with musician possibly one fanatic used small units to outflank

Big units should be 35 goblin strong full command 2 fanatics plus nets use these big units tie up your enemy

Please read this post it will give you an idea of what I am talking about http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194724

sirbone
21-04-2009, 20:58
Hey, cheers- I was looking at that thread a minute ago, and I must have posted at the same time as you-ish.

It's funny really- I know full well that I'd rather field a different army, designed to be strong at both offense and defence... but I simply can't bloody afford it. Some jiggling, however, as you suggest, will put me in a much better position.

Good luck with your horde, UAA, and cheers for the advice.

Bone

O&G'sRule
21-04-2009, 22:42
Never give wolf riders a standard, they are pointless, just giving away too many victory points when they break from combat, drop them, get another spear chukka, lose the bully too imo. I disagree with not giving the goblins a standard unless they are just a fanatic free decoy unit. If you want goblins to win a combat you need to give them every help they can get, I'd up the unit sizes
As you've got so many units, use them to your advantage with set up, your opponent will almost always finish setting up well before you, so you can keep your better stuff back and deploy them accordingly
Theres no such thing as a strong defense O&G army so forget that, the leadership will destroy any plans you have towards that, just kll them before they kill you, don't forget to use your waagh when the enemy don't expect it, and have tried to position their units so they are just out of charge range, unless its a shooty army then use it asap

selone
22-04-2009, 00:56
Heya I don't normally post to army lists but I'll make exception, hope you don't mind.

Characters
Orc boss
Ulag’s Akrit Axe 25pts
Talisman of protection 15pts
Light armour 3pts
113pts

Night Goblin shaman 50pts
Level 2- 35pts
Amulet of protectyness 25pts
2 x magic mushrooms 20pts
130pts

Orc Shaman 65pts
Level 2 35pts
waagh! Paint 10pts
Staff of baduumm 40pts
150pts

I like orc bosses though not everyone does. I'm not sure I like your defensive ites though. Either add a shield (light armour on its own is almost useless) or drop the light armour and talisman of protection and take amulet of protectyness.
I highly advise against 2 orc shamans, Waagh magic at this level especially is very hit or miss and you're setting yourself up for miscast heaven. No battle standard is very brave too especially with a fairly average combat force that you have.

Core
20 night goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
nets 35pts
1 fanatic 25pts
full command 20pts
210pts

20 Night Goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
full command 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
100pts

20 Night Goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
full command 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
100pts

20 Night Goblins 60pts
short bows
60pts

That is a lot of goblins ! :) Only give full command to goblins you put characters in and are fairly confident in winning combat, standards give away 100 vp's which is about the same as a goblin unit costs. I'm very unconvinced by spears too, paying an extra point on a cheap unit losing one point of save in combat for second rank atatck isn't alas a good investment. Time to cut off the bottom of your spearmen methinks :)

10 Goblin Spider riders 130pts
Full command 30pts
160pts

Take two units of spider riders with musician each for less than this one unit you've got here. 10 fast cavalry is too bulky and a standard is just a liability. This unit if broken in combat gives away a massive 100-260 VP's ! Rememeber a unit of 5 suffering one casualty stops takign animosity :)

12 orc arrer boys 72pts
72pts

I love arrer boyz and find them invaluable, consider adding a musician if you have the model.

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
full standard 30pts
95pts

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
full standard 30pts
95pts

Lose the standards and champions its justa waste of points and makes them a liability if they face combat.

20 orc boyz 100pts
additional choppas 40pts
full standard 30pts
170pts

Your main combat unit is okay, but for less points you could drop the extra chopper and have a shield making them very resilient in combat and difficulot to shoot dead (which you sorely need)

Special
Speak chucka 35
bully 5pts
40pts

Lose the bully and try to add another spear chukkaa s they're 2 for one. Also any reason why no rare slot?

To sum up
You lack real combat potential. You have one fairly fighty character and 2 shamans with no BSB and small units. You'll get trounced in combat, you will lose combats and run away with your units giving away a lot of VP's. All your units are 20 strong, so one casualty and there goes your full resolution. I heartily recomend you make a unit of at least 25 orc boyz and 25 night goblins. Switch out a shaman for a BSB to keep your guys fighting and winning combats. Consider your magic defence options. One spearchukka and 12 arrer boyz is not enough shooting to support yourself considering your combat units will melt like butter against all but the softest armies. Consider dropping a unit of fast cavalry and buying a spear chukka for its points.
Also consider one single troll for your rare slot if you don't own a doomdiver/giant/pump wagon or want to spend the points.

sirbone
22-04-2009, 07:08
Thanks for the advice folks, particularly Selone for your detail. I'll have a think and re-arrange some things and post an edit a bit later.

Bone

Urgat
22-04-2009, 07:29
Never give wolf riders a standard, they are pointless, just giving away too many victory points when they break from combat, drop them,

The wolf riders are pointless? Right.
They're bloody awesome at redirecting/march blocking, etc. I agree with the standard though, they just need the musician because they'll flee a lot (on purpose mostly) so you need it.
As I suppose you're basing your army on your minis, well, keep the spiders, but do the same, cut them in twi units of 5, no standard, musician, have them do the same things as the wolves. Well you can insist on keeping them a big unit like that, but you'll see for yourself how "well" they do in any kind of combat. Better have them run around with bows being pests, that's what they do best.
Well I guess O&G'sRule comment illustrates that well: they're not there to win combats or get in melee. Wasn't using them much at the begining of 7th edition, never won. Now I use at least two units, and when you can prevent nasty units from getting to you on the enemy's terms, well, yuo do much better. Now I win more than half my games, and yes, it's mostly thanks to the wolves.

Arnizipal
22-04-2009, 10:50
Also- I'm considering putting the two spear-armed NG units up to 30 apiece, with 2 fanatics in one and the other in the other.
Solid idea. Do that!
You can keep the full command on them in that case and still free up some points. You might alos consider giving the Night Goblin arrer boyz unit a musician. That way they'll at least have a small chance of ever rallying when they flee. :p

Braad
22-04-2009, 11:19
On the orc shaman: WAAAGH paint and staff of baduumm are both arcane, and neither have an allowance to take more arcane, so you have to drop one.

If you gave the shaman the paint because you think he'll get in CC, then just drop all items and give him the bloodaxe instead... :p

Crube
22-04-2009, 17:25
Thread moved to Army Lists...

Crube
THe Warseer Inquisition

O&G'sRule
22-04-2009, 19:54
The wolf riders are pointless? Right.
They're bloody awesome at redirecting/march blocking,.

No just the standard

sirbone
24-04-2009, 08:36
Cheers again folks. The smaller units of cavalry seem like a much better option. I'm going to write the revised list up later today (I forgot to the other day...).

On another note- All of these models are from an army I had when I used to collect, and I assumed finding the models in their case would be easy enough... but as of yet rummaging in the cellar has led to nothing. Wish me luck as I go on a mining expedition amongst years of assorted crap in the cellar in search of my orc and gobbo army, ho ho.

Bone

sirbone
25-04-2009, 18:30
Here is the revised list- there are some notes to mark which changes have been made.

------------------

Characters

Orc boss 70pts
Martog’s Best Basha 15pts
Light armour 3pts
88pts

Level 2- 35pts
105pts

Orc Shaman 65pts
Level 2 35pts
waagh! Paint 10pts
Dispel Scroll 25pts
135pts

328pts

Some fiddling with items to keep points down

Core

30 night goblins 90pts
spears 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
Musician 4pts
139pts

30 night goblins 90pts
spears 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
Musician 4pts
139pts

20 Night Goblins 60pts
musician 4pts
short bows
64pts

5 Goblin Spider riders 65pts
Shortbows 5pts
musician 6pts
76pts

5 Goblin Spider riders 65pts
Shortbows 5pts
musician 6pts
76pts

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
musician 6pts
71pts

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
musician 6pts
71pts

12 orc arrer boys 72pts
72pts

20 orc boyz 100pts
additional choppas 40pts
full command 30pts
170pts

20 Orc boyz 100pts
Spears 20pts
Shields 20pts
Full command 30pts
170pts

1048pts

Some reorganisation here- bigger goblin units, smaller cavalry and an additional unit of orcs to act as the body guard of my general.

Special

Rock Lobber 70
70pts

2x Speak chucka 70
70pts

140pts

More artillery

Total: 1,516pts

Gobboman10
26-04-2009, 01:25
Characters

Orc boss 70pts
Ulag’s Akrit Axe 25pts
Talisman of protection 15pts
Light armour 3pts
113pts
Okay, not amazing but okay.

Level 2- 35pts
Amulet of protectyness 25pts
130pts
Whats the point for lvl 2 in a 1500 point game, take that off.

Orc Shaman 65pts
Level 2 35pts
waagh! Paint 10pts
Staff of baduumm 40pts
150pts
Waaagh! paint imo stinks and drop from lvl2

Core

20 night goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
nets 35pts
1 fanatic 25pts
full command 20pts
210pts
Spears, stink; Nets on a 20 unit, stink; full comand on a 20 unit, stink

20 Night Goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
full command 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
100pts
Same as above

20 Night Goblins 60pts
spears 20pts
full command 20pts
1 fanatic 25pts
100pts
Same as above

20 Night Goblins 60pts
short bows
60pts
Wheres the fanactics

10 Goblin Spider riders 130pts
Full command 30pts
160pts
Split into groups of 5 with bows and just musicians

12 orc arrer boys 72pts
72pts
Trash this to get more orc boys or more goblins, 30 on each unit

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
full standard 30pts
95pts

5 wolf riders 60pts
short bows 5pts
full standard 30pts
95pts
Take off full standard, wtf, off. On both

20 orc boyz 100pts
additional choppas 40pts
full standard 30pts
170pts
Get units of 25 in 5*5

Special

Speak chucka 35
bully 5pts
40pts

Total:
1495pts

----------------

This is designed as a utility army for taking on anything in a small tournament. I know damn well that I should lose a character and put another big unit in, or another spear chucka, or upgrade the orc unit to big uns and add another rank... but I'm limited on what I can afford money-wise, and I have most of the above already. Also- I'm considering putting the two spear-armed NG units up to 30 apiece, with 2 fanatics in one and the other in the other. Ideas?

Apologies if this is a boring, characterless read.

Bone
In all you have epicly failed

sirbone
26-04-2009, 06:36
You, sir, are a tosser. Even if I ignore your use of immature and inane language, it's impossible to ignore the fact that you have edited the wrong bloody list. There is an edit above your post which, funnily enough, contains a lot of the changes you suggested, thanks to the good advice of the other Warseer members.

Don't be a putz.

Arnizipal
26-04-2009, 09:51
New list is looking good. I would add a shield to big boss to at least pretend he has some kind of save. 6+ save might as well be no save at all so you could drop the light armour if you need the points (seeing that you're 16 points over).

sirbone
26-04-2009, 13:09
Cheers Arnizipal. Orc armour at >2,000pts is really bad. I was considering using a Black Orc big boss, though I feel a bit cheeky as he would be the only Black Orc in the army- plus I'd need to free up some points elsewhere.

In fact, the character choices are my main concerns in this army. Having only recently come back to the game with the new army books and all leaves me a bit lost in terms of which items to pick and which to not.

If anyone has any >2,000pts orc and goblin character choice ideas then please do share (and don't worry about the models- I have almost one of each).

Cheers.

Arnizipal
26-04-2009, 14:26
A cheap way to get some armour on you boss is mounting him on a boar. You can put him in a unit of infantry and he won't mess up your rank bonus (he counts as being it two ranks at the same time then).

It's been a while since I played a less than 2000 points game, but if you want to save points my suggestion would be to drop the extra level on one of your shamans. He can still take 50 points of items, and three levels of magic should be enough in less than 2000 points I think.