PDA

View Full Version : 1500points Vampire Counts (New to the army)

Nathangonmad
21-04-2009, 21:47
Basically after a failed look at some of the other armies I've been looking for a new army to start collecting. I liked the look and fluff of the vampire counts so I decided to give them a try. I havn't bought any models yet so feel free to rip my list to shreads. Although I would prefer to have more of a offensive army that can actually cast offensive magic rather than having vampires with master of the black arts sat there in ghoul units spaming invocation on one dice.

Heroes

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte+30points
-Helm of command
-Power Stone
Total-200points

Vampire< Goes with Blood knights
-Dread Knight
-Walking Death
-Book of Arkhan
-Black Periapt
Total-200points

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
-Nightmare < So he can either go with the blood knights or with the GG.
Total-308points

Core

20 Ghouls-160points

10 Ghouls-80points

Special

14 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 257points

Rare

5 Blood Knights
-Kastellan
-Standard Bearer
-Royal Standard of Strigoes
Total-295points

Nathangonmad
22-04-2009, 19:14
Bumb AND after a chat with a mate I've changed my army around abit.

Heroes
Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Helm of command
-Power Stone
Total-200points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Book of Arkhan
-Black Periapt
- Nightmare
Total-208points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
-Nightmare
Total-308points

Core

20 Ghouls-160points

10 Ghouls-80points

Special

15 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 270points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

Nathangonmad
23-04-2009, 14:49
Ok I'm going to assume the second list is all good then.

FictionalCharacter
23-04-2009, 14:58
i'd maybe drop avatar of death for raise ghouls on your helm vampire. at 1500 points you're likely going to be woefully outnumbered with this setup. my thousand point list would outnumber you 2:1. so, with that in mind, if you don't plan on your helm vampire seeing much combat, maybe throw in raise ghouls to get some more models on the board.

are you planning for a grave guard deathstar?

Keller
23-04-2009, 17:10
i'd maybe drop avatar of death for raise ghouls on your helm vampire. at 1500 points you're likely going to be woefully outnumbered with this setup. Seconded. I generally don't advise people on raising powers, but you are going to need to bolster your numbers given your low model count. My 1500 Empire list would outnumber you 154 to your 53 (3:1,) with enough shooting (2 units of 10 + 1WM) to make your units worthless once they reached combat.

I also don't think you need a 6-strong unit of Wraiths. A unit of 3-4 usually does the trick, in my experience, so you could free up a bunch of points to bolster your other units. Wraiths are great, but expensive and quickly run into diminishing returns on their investment.

FictionalCharacter
23-04-2009, 18:21
i would think it would be worthwhile to take at least 5 wraiths to negate rank bonuses, hold table quarters, etc., but i've yet to run them.

i'm also curious as to what exactly you're going to do with the bsb, and why it needs a nightmare. regen banner smells like deathstar to me, but i don't think 15 grave guard would be enough for that.

Nathangonmad
23-04-2009, 22:21
I take the nightmare because the model I'm using it the standard bearer from the blood knights. So ok I'll work on the list now, replace avatar of death on my general for raise ghouls and drop 2 wriaths to bolster my GG unit. An finnaly I plan to simply put the regen banner into the grave guard (considering giving them hatred banner so I get a rerolling 3+ and the vamp gets rerolls too.) I'll emend changes now. Thanks alot :P An by the way the wraiths are a 5man unit the tomb banshee is a upgrade to the unit, not seperate points.

Edit: Ok list updated (See below)

Heroes
Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command
Total-175points

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Book of Arkhan
-Black Periapt
Total-195points

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
-Nightmare
Total-308points

Core

18 Ghouls-144points

10 Ghouls-80points

Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Royal Standard of Strigoes
-Great Weapons
Total- 325points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

Nathangonmad
24-04-2009, 12:12
I couldn't bring myself to drop the wriaths there just too good, instead I'm probably going to leave it like this unless anyone has any suggestions. I don't think the ghouls starting under there optimal size is a bad thing because I can heal them up pretty easily with 2 out of 3 vampires being able to cast invocation of nehek on them on a 3+.

Nathangonmad
25-04-2009, 19:36
Ok after abit of a chat I decided to change my list yet again.

Heroes

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-195points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Book of Arkhan
Total-175points

Wight King
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
Total-225points

Core

13 Ghouls-96points
-Ghast
Total-112points

10 Ghouls-80points

Corpse Cart
-Balefire
Total-100points

Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 335points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

Dark_Ritualz
30-04-2009, 19:06
major problem seen, u got 2 arcane items on one of the vamps.... ouch....

i would possible switch that black periapt out for a Sword of might for cheap s6 attacks.

Dark_Ritualz
30-04-2009, 19:15
i would alos reccomend u not to take the drakenhof banner on the bsb wg, since its rly expensive.

on my own bsb WG i take just the bsb and a sword of kings and the cursed book.

a rly nice combo with banner of the barrows since u get 2+ to hit.

Nathangonmad
30-04-2009, 21:53
Thanks for noticing my arcane item error. I'd rather keep the regen banner as its the only thing keeping my grave guard alive save for heavy armor.
Heroes

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-195points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Book of Arkhan
Total-175points

Wight King
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
Total-225points

Core

13 Ghouls-96points
-Ghast
Total-112points

10 Ghouls-80points

Corpse Cart
-Balefire
Total-100points

Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 335points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

Dark_Ritualz
02-05-2009, 20:58
another good thing would be to go with unholy lodestone, since ure ghoul regs are rly weak u could go with that to help them get to killy numbers.

and yes. i know. the balefire is nice IF u fight a magic army. i prefer to use the balefire to get a -3 casting for the enemy with my three corpsies. but then again, only good when u fight magic armys.

i would (but thats just me) swap out the gouls for skellies since they make better rank and file troops. but then again, thats just me (and btw, i HATE those ghoul models....)

Nathangonmad
03-05-2009, 14:03
Well after going over what models I have I decided to change my list quite dramatically. I ended up with what is below. It worked quite well I beat a very good dark elf player.

Heroes
Mannfred the Acolyte-185points
-Skull Staff
Total-250points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-190points

Wight King-75points
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
Total-225points

Core

10 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-88points

16 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-136points

Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 335points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

riotknight
03-05-2009, 22:18
Well after going over what models I have I decided to change my list quite dramatically. I ended up with what is below. It worked quite well I beat a very good dark elf player.

Heroes
-Skull Staff
Total-250points
Good choice, Skull Staff is decent, I'd prefer Book of Arkhan,just to surprise people with.
Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-190points
Again, a usual combination, good.

Wight King-75points
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
Total-225points
You should mount him on a barded Skeletal steed and give him a great weapon or lance as well. HE can still be put in the GG unit.
Core

10 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-88points

16 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-136points
Normally i'd suggest both units with 12-13 But thats personal preference.
Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows
-Great Weapons
Total- 335points
If you're going 6 wide, and you make the change to your wight king, you can change this to 19 or 18. If your going 5 wide 20 works just fine.
Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points
Rares are your choice, however without a vampire to run up with them, they're gonna be either 1. Easy targets for Magic Missiles or 2. To slow to really help much. At 5 of the, they don't negate ranks because they're skirmishers, i usually run 3+1Banshee for 4

Overall for 1500pts this list is coming together. I love the Manfred lv2 as a character.

Nathangonmad
03-05-2009, 23:12
I loved the fact he knew the entire lore of vampires it was so useful to have a guanteed vanhels. The cairn wraiths worked well they cause 2 units of shades to flee of the table, one from terror check and one from banshee scream. They were then killed by a lucky casting of blade wind twice with irrisitable force. All in all it went quite well as his cold one knights simply bounced of my GG unit (which I put mannfred and the wight king in and ran them 5 wide.) My ghouls managed to kill a hydra with one unit changing the front with vanhels and one unit doing the same the next turn.

Nathangonmad
16-08-2009, 13:10
Not wanting to dig up a old topic, but lately I've been using this list.

Heroes
-Book of Arkhan (Bound Vanhels)
Total-220points

Vampire-100points
-Dark Acolyte+30points (+1 magic level)
-Summon Ghouls
-Helm of command (If out of combat may pass on WS)
-Black Periapt (store dice)
Total-190points

Wight King-75points
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
Total-225points

Core

10 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-88points

15 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-128points

5 Dire Wolves-40points

Special

20 Grave Guards
-Full Command
-Banner of the barrows (1+ to hit)
-Great Weapons
Total- 335points

Rare

5 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-275points

Its been working really well, actually a little too well, the amount of vanhels I can pump out is broken as hell. How could I change this list to make it a little more friendly? I ask because I had a game versus britonians last tuesday and to be frank, I steamrolled them without losing a single unit, he wants a rematch this tuesday and I want to take a friendlier list.

thechosenone
16-08-2009, 13:50
well i'm imagine part of what's killing your opponent is the wraiths. At 1500 pts iits hard to get magick items and attacks that way and you can always heal a wraith at a time if you do lose some. Also... Banshee wail or whatever its called is retarded good.

Personally i think you could eliminate barrow banner if you have helm of command. I know, hitting on a 2+ is really good but that may be part of the problem for your opponent.

Where are you sticking your wight king? If its with the uber guard that hit on twos and fight at ws 6 then he may be having trouble with you giving regen to that unit.

The list you have is good but as far as what would give a player problems, i think i covered it

wingedserpant
16-08-2009, 18:51
I think the problem with your list is the sheer amount of vanhels you use and not the units you use.

Manfred is a tad good in low point games for this reason. No other vampire combination is able to spam vanhels aswell as him without being a lord. Especially if you manage to kill things in combat.

Try another casting vampire with the book of arkhan, summon ghouls and an extra magic level.

Chaseyboy1er
16-08-2009, 19:39
if you're trying to hide you characters in with your ghouls, exept for like, the bsb and maybe another vampire, you can't. The only way characters can join ghouls is if they have ghoul kin.

wingedserpant
16-08-2009, 21:31
if you're trying to hide you characters in with your ghouls, exept for like, the bsb and maybe another vampire, you can't. The only way characters can join ghouls is if they have ghoul kin.

Em no.

No thats not right at all.

thechosenone
17-08-2009, 00:30
characters cannot join Zombies. Anything can join ghouls. Ghoul kin allows a pre game march move