PDA

View Full Version : Three eagles in 2000?

Faeslayer
22-04-2009, 06:20
I'll be at 1500 points of high elves soon, and I was thinking of filling out the rest with three eagles (maybe one would be Gwaihir).

I'm not sure why I think eagles would fit so well with high elves. Maybe I've got a few crossed wires; they just seem to go together. And giant talking eagles, come on!

1) is it too cheesy? I realize that against some armies three swoops will be a bit heavy...

2) is it a very poor tactical choice that I'll regret once the painting honeymoon is over?

Jorgen_CAB
22-04-2009, 09:39
Fluff wise I don't think that including the Eagles would be that bad, especially if you played the Mirkwood elves.

Though, I think that it mainly was the Mithrandir who had any real influence over them. Radagast in particular I would say. But aside from that I think you could include them into the army.

As for the tactical side, flying creatures will always be useful to have. I don't think they are overpowered, but I have never played against them either so I really couldn't say.

Faeslayer
22-04-2009, 14:37
Fluff wise I don't think that including the Eagles would be that bad, especially if you played the Mirkwood elves.

Though, I think that it mainly was the Mithrandir who had any real influence over them. Radagast in particular I would say. But aside from that I think you could include them into the army.

As for the tactical side, flying creatures will always be useful to have. I don't think they are overpowered, but I have never played against them either so I really couldn't say.

The only thing that might make them a little overpowered, I think, is how many things they can fly over with a single 3-foot swoop. The trio of them, on average, can do 6 S6 hits (IIRC, no book handy) to a single unit without reprisal. If they could do that to two or three units...

But then, those three eagles will cost almost as much as a Council of Wizardry. So the more I think about it, the more it's really not that powerful.

General Veers
22-04-2009, 15:31
There is only the potential for 6 S6 hits, that's if you roll a 5-6 on a d6. And you have to move a MINIMUM of 24". Also, in the unlikely event an eagle gets into combat with a hero that is good a dueling, it has a problem.

The upside (not that the above is really a downside) is with them being flying monsters that will help provide you with more options in the movement phase.

I happen to have two eagles so maybe my next game after tonight I will try a two eagle combo for my Mirkwood Elves. Thanks for posting the 3 eagle idea.

Faeslayer
22-04-2009, 15:59
I meant 6 on average, between 3 eagles. :)

I wish Eagles weren't so hard to find...

General Veers
22-04-2009, 16:18
I wish Eagles weren't so hard to find... Everyone knows eagles keep to themselves! ;)

Thanks!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
25-04-2009, 16:33
I'll be at 1500 points of high elves soon, and I was thinking of filling out the rest with three eagles (maybe one would be Gwaihir).

I'm not sure why I think eagles would fit so well with high elves. Maybe I've got a few crossed wires; they just seem to go together. And giant talking eagles, come on!

1) is it too cheesy? I realize that against some armies three swoops will be a bit heavy...

2) is it a very poor tactical choice that I'll regret once the painting honeymoon is over?

DID YOU READ THE SILMARILLION! THORONDOR AND THE GREAT EAGLES WERE SENT BY MANWE. Or so I remember. They protected the elves and kept Gondolin protected from being found for hundreds of years.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
25-04-2009, 16:36
There is only the potential for 6 S6 hits, that's if you roll a 5-6 on a d6. And you have to move a MINIMUM of 24". Also, in the unlikely event an eagle gets into combat with a hero that is good a dueling, it has a problem.

The upside (not that the above is really a downside) is with them being flying monsters that will help provide you with more options in the movement phase.

I happen to have two eagles so maybe my next game after tonight I will try a two eagle combo for my Mirkwood Elves. Thanks for posting the 3 eagle idea.

I used the swoopy thing. It isnt worth it. I think the bird would be best to "march block" for all fantasy players. Then add some oomph later on to the fights that need it. I dont know the rules very well as of yet so I cant give any real advice or comments :angel:

Faeslayer
26-04-2009, 05:17
DID YOU READ THE SILMARILLION! THORONDOR AND THE GREAT EAGLES WERE SENT BY MANWE. Or so I remember. They protected the elves and kept Gondolin protected from being found for hundreds of years.

I never read the Silmarillion. That's good to know!