PDA

View Full Version : Biggest game

kyussinchains
19-12-2005, 12:57
what's the biggest game of WFB that you've ever played? (I'm talking points)

was it teams of people, or is your army so vast you managed it on your own?

Our group managed a 6 player (4 vs 2) 12000 point game last year, we played at warhammer world and used 18 feet of table, plenty of people there were really impressed at the size of the game, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who have played bigger!

we're planning a 21000 point game, (3 vs 3) in the new year, and this time we'll probably use 36 feet of table.

share your stories of massive games!

Crube
19-12-2005, 13:03
My biggest was a mere 6K per side 2vs2...

Pales into insignificance really....

kyussinchains
19-12-2005, 13:12
well, we normally play 6000 2vs2 on an 8 foot table, it's our 'standard' size game because we pretty much always play team games

Search
19-12-2005, 15:21
My biggest one was a Vampire counts vs Empire ar 12k :)
it was at a convention and we were in the center of it dressed up as imperial soldiers and the commander and the vampires and necro's ( 3 players on either side).
Lot's of fun and acting and playing a kickass game at the same time.
Search

LaughinGremlin
19-12-2005, 18:17
3 0n 3 (2k per player) on a 4'x8' table

It was jam-packed!

Crazy Harborc
19-12-2005, 19:48
The biggest WHFB game I've played in was 5000points in each army. 6 players were supposed to play, 5 of us showed up. Four of us played, the other guy played judge and "rule looker upper" (NOT me);)

The biggest game I've played in was done in one day(6 hours of play + 1 for lunch NOO BEER!:eek: ) 5000 MINIES per side. If my memory is correct, there were 12/16 of us. We rented a building floor of a local Uni. We had to set up the night before and take it all down by 0800/8am the morning after play.

That was a few years before GW got to this side of the Pond.

kyussinchains
19-12-2005, 19:53
wow, I'd have thought there would be a zillion people who had played massive 50k per side games at some gaming club or something!

anyone remember the days of playing at games day or golden demon? "ok you've got this one unit of pistoliers, you'll probably only get to move them once before getting bored because the sheer amount of shrieking kids means the game takes a monolithic amount of time to play"

in fact I think some of the games from games day 94 are still going on....

we used to play games in 4th edition and my friends had about 3000 points of dwarf warmachines, their artillery phase took over an hour, we'd just end up sitting there reading magazines, momentarily pausing to remove another 6 dead chaos knights before reading some more.

those were the days....

starlight
19-12-2005, 19:56
On a good day the MegaBattles (nicknamed FloorHammer) at the Oakville Battle Bunker used to run up to 60,000pts. Up to ten players per side each player running 3000pts. Because of all the Bunker terrain available it was a sight to see.:D

On the 40K weekends Superheavies were allowed:evilgrin:. Titans and Baneblades were routinely sighted on the (roughly) 24' x 30' area marked out:evilgrin:. Imagine actually using the entire range of a Basilisk:eek:.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
19-12-2005, 21:06
mine was a 16000 point total battle with three dwarf armies (2x3k 1x2k...i had one of the 3k) against 4x2k armies (think it was kislev, CoS, empire and DOW). The dwarfs won...the man of the match was Ibn from Al Muktar's dogs who singlehandedly tipped the balance of combat against a unit of chaos warriors and a hellblaster.

Stouty
19-12-2005, 21:49
10,000 points a side. 1 army per side. Booked again for sometime next year. Bent some of the rules (chaos can have 1 unit upgraded to chosen per chaos lord). Dwarfs vs Chaos.

Grand Warlord
19-12-2005, 22:33
10k for each player 2v2 big ol battle Storm of Chaos Action... took the whole weekend.

Cpt. Drill
19-12-2005, 23:24
The biggest games I have partaken in were recently our local gw did a big games night from like 6pm-12am and it was spread along 22'x4' of gaming board... I was only using 2500pts of ogres but it was an awesome steamroller game...

Keller
19-12-2005, 23:54
We regularly play 9000/side games (3v3) on a 10x16' table. Loads of fun when you have to cross that much space to get to the enemies deployment zone. Even the farthest reaching warmachines cannot shoot across the board. Makes for a lot of tactical options, and much more than just 'line up and bash em' play.

I'm not sure if we've ever really gone bigger than that. I am gonna have to arrange a massive game, since I can feild a 10k Empire army on my own, with a little help from my Dogs of War allies...

Scythe
20-12-2005, 11:48
In 1 vs 1 the largest I have played was 6500 pts per side (13000 total). In multiplayer battles, I think we managed 9000-10000 pts per side in 5th edition.

immortal99
20-12-2005, 12:04
On the 40K weekends Superheavies were allowed:evilgrin:. Titans and Baneblades were routinely sighted on the (roughly) 24' x 30' area marked out:evilgrin:. Imagine actually using the entire range of a Basilisk:eek:.

I can picture it know! :eek:

"My bailisk is out of range"

"Holy $%!*, how can a basilisk be out of range...."

Lord Lucifer
20-12-2005, 13:46
13,000 per side...
And I was accused of Cheese because I fielded Luthor Huss :p

I would, deeply and sincerely, love to have that much free time and readily available friends to habitually play multi-player games. I miss school, terribly.
I would kill for a weekend of gaming. A good, long weekend of gaming. I miss those days

hairyman
20-12-2005, 14:24
I hear that. Snatching a few hours on a weekend afternoon is about the best I can manage nowadays.

Frecus
20-12-2005, 15:45
Hmm... I feel a bit sad now...

Though defending a wall with 3K of WE against 5K of combined orcs/ogres did look cool. They had masses of troops, most of which didn't reach my lines for the boiling oil & archery/magic, but in the end a siegebreaker broke through two walls an a treeman!:eek: Byebye masses of orcs (on top of the wall:evilgrin: ).

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Keller
20-12-2005, 19:50
13,000 per side...
And I was accused of Cheese because I fielded Luthor Huss :p
What did you expect? He is clearly an uber-powerful character that destroys game balance completely. A slightly better Warrior Priest for 300 points, a Lord and Hero slot? You should have known better!

I would, deeply and sincerely, love to have that much free time and readily available friends to habitually play multi-player games. I miss school, terribly.
I would kill for a weekend of gaming. A good, long weekend of gaming. I miss those days
Sadly, I rarely get to play anymore either. For a few weeks, we had a weekly game going, but we haven't been able to muster it since October. I rarely get to arrange a game at my place anymore either, as I am just far too busy with work and school. Now that I am on semester break I would have hoped to have more time to play, but instead I get more hours at work. Since I work nights now, I cannot even arrange to play around my work schedule, as I sleep when everyone else is awake. :cries:

Frecus
20-12-2005, 19:58
I feel your pain, since my regular opponent works as a cook, he can only play at the most ridiculous times... I don't think I've played a game against him in months!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

kyussinchains
20-12-2005, 20:22
I only actually play WFB 2-3 times per year, it's usually a week at a time, but now I'm married and have a full time job it's less easy to free up that much time without the missus getting miffed!

We've been playing weekenders more the past few years, just taking a bank holiday weekend and gaming for 2-3 days, warhammer world is helpful because we're spread all over the country these days, it's nice and central for everyone to get to.

Anyone ever play any huge sieges or massive campaigns? I keep trying to grab myself a copy of mighty empires so I can organise a long term campaign for me and the guys

Lord Lucifer
20-12-2005, 23:52
What did you expect? He is clearly an uber-powerful character that destroys game balance completely. A slightly better Warrior Priest for 300 points, a Lord and Hero slot? You should have known better!
I know, an Elector Count with the Holy Relic and two Power 4 Bound Spells, what were they thinking?

Sadly, I rarely get to play anymore either. For a few weeks, we had a weekly game going, but we haven't been able to muster it since October. I rarely get to arrange a game at my place anymore either, as I am just far too busy with work and school. Now that I am on semester break I would have hoped to have more time to play, but instead I get more hours at work. Since I work nights now, I cannot even arrange to play around my work schedule, as I sleep when everyone else is awake. :cries:
I hear you.
I was chuffed that for once in the past five years, I actually have the couple days before Christmas off work!
That is until I found out the boss wants me to work both the Friday AND the Saturday, and fill in time the next couple weeks too... so I'll have 1 day off in about a month :mad:
I haven't had a holiday in five years, the only time I've had time off is because of surgery, or when I was able to snatch a full weekend off work to attend the NZGT, which is far, far more exhausting (considering I paint solidly in every spare moment for the full week or two before that)

I miss the school days, when I'd have weeks to just relax and play games, weekends to spend freely. This isn't merely NostalgiaVision, it's the realisation that employers are ********s and I miss my free time.
Thank God for monthly Games Club meetings is all I can say.

Trunks
21-12-2005, 01:06
I regularly play team battles with 6,000-8,000 per side. We've hit 12k or so before when we start early.

EvilIncarnate
21-12-2005, 01:07
We regularly play 9000/side games (3v3) on a 10x16' table.

Dumb question Keller. How do you reach across a table thats 10 feet wide? I could seeing reaching a max of 3 to 3 1/2 ft from each side leaving about 2 feet in the middle that would be unreachable.