PDA

View Full Version : 2k WoC - Chaos Troll Deathstar - competitive?

Psy-Crow
22-04-2009, 12:54
Hi,

I just finished my army-list for an upcoming tournament.

I really like it and think it will do well, but I'm interested in your oppinion!

- Throgg

- Sorcerer lv. 1 with 2 x dispell scroll

- Hero with MoT / disc / Banner of the Gods

- 15 x Chaos Warrior with champion / additional handweapon
- 15 x Chaos Warrior with champion / additional handweapon

- 5 x Marauder Horsemen with throwing axes

- 5 x Warhound
- 5 x Warhound

- 9 x Chaos Troll (joined by Throgg)

- Hellcannon

-----------------

1999 pts.

I always wanted to play a Troll unit with rank-bonus :D Followed by the Hero, they become stubborn and even can reroll failed tests by the gift of Throgg. They will become better and better because everytime they regenerate 2 or more wounds, they can roll on the eye of the gods-table... and they are dumb already... :evilgrin: the worst case in rolling on the table is that nothing happens!

The hero can fly around and make my units stubborn wherever it is needed.

The Warhounds can shield the the Trolls from shooting, the Horsemen can attack quite hard without challanging and help my rock hard core units to strike first.

I know that the hellcannon isn't the best choice for its points but I just love the model and it is fun to play :p ...and with little luck, a dysfunction can kill some of my enemies sorcerers.

My magic protection is a bit weak, but 2000 pts. aren't that much for WoC and you can't have everything...

So, what do you think?

Thanks for your help!

wildkarrde0
22-04-2009, 16:07
my only advice would be to remove the hellcannon but you already know this a sammll warning running those trolls 5 wide mean big wheeling arcs and you might yourself unable to avoide difficult terrain slowing alot making it easy to aviod the trolls i'm pretty sure you might be better runing 3 units of 3 with one having throgg making it 4 in

just my 2 cents

Psy-Crow
22-04-2009, 16:52
I know that the movement is a little tricky... but I always wanted to see my enemies face being confronted with one block of ten angry drooling trolls hunting for fresh meat :evilgrin:

nasty_little_hobbit
22-04-2009, 17:12
I think you should atleast split them in to two units , one of 6 & one of four. You still would have a death star unit and adds another option and sometihng else for your opponents to shoot at.

bob_the_small
22-04-2009, 17:17
hardly a deathstar, more like 40 trolls

Kalec
22-04-2009, 21:46
Drop the champs and xhws from the warriors and give them standards and shields.

Split the trolls into multiple units. This will lessen the blow of a failed stupidity roll, and they are core so why not?

I would drop the hellcannon for a unit of dragon ogres or knights.

W0lf
22-04-2009, 23:03
Thats not a deathstar.

Also Halberds >> Add hand weapons for chaos warriors.

For a tourny list id say it has several glaring holes.

Stuffburger
23-04-2009, 07:14
Not nearly as nasty as the trollstar I was thinking about. Probably not all that effective but looks like fun, and more to the point people will play against it.

Your problem is that your big unit is stuck in the ineffective middle ground of unit sizes- either small, mobile and supportive or nastily pimped out with every possible character and unit buff. As it is it's just expensive and not that hard to deal with.

Psy-Crow
23-04-2009, 09:11
Ok, I think I have to work on it again... If I'd split the trolls into three units and change the additional handweapons to shields, would I have better chances? Is this one more point of armor that big advantage?

I'm quite new to WH and every tip on a good list from successful WoC-players is welcome ;)

Do you have examples of tournament-winning 2k WoC army-lists?

But I WON`T leave my beloved hellcannon at home :D

Stuffburger
23-04-2009, 15:54
As armor goes, going from none to 6+, or 6+ to 5+, it doesn't really matter. But when you go from 4+ (Chaos warriors w/ AHW) to 2+ (HW&S in combat) you are literally taking a third as many casualties against S3 or less attacks and half as many against S4. Pretty big difference.

Psy-Crow
23-04-2009, 21:41
Why are you talking about a 2+ armor save?! Chaos armor (4+) and shield (+1) have an armor save of 3+... or is there any special rule in the WoC armybook I've overseen? :confused:

Pulsks
24-04-2009, 01:10
Why are you talking about a 2+ armor save?! Chaos armor (4+) and shield (+1) have an armor save of 3+... or is there any special rule in the WoC armybook I've overseen? :confused:

Shield + hw = +1 as

Necromancer2
24-04-2009, 12:34
whats this troll star list???

Psy-Crow
24-04-2009, 16:34
So here is another trial...

Hero - MoT / disc / Banner of the Gods - 290

Sorcerer - Lv.1 / Lore of Fire / 2 x Dispell Scroll - 135

Throgg - 175

15 x Chaos Warrior - Champ / Shield / Helberd - 267
15 x Chaos Warrior - Champ / Shield / Helberd - 267

5 x Marader Horsemen - Musician / Throwing Axes - 81
5 x Marader Horsemen - Musician / Throwing Axes - 81

5 x Warhounds - 30
5 x Warhounds - 30

3 x Chaos Troll (joined by Throgg) - 135
4 x Chaos Troll - 180

Chariot of Chaos - 120

Hellcannon - 205

-------------------

1996 pts.

Is it any better now or still sh*@! ;)

valtrius
24-04-2009, 19:18
i have been thinking of running a army similar to this tell me how it goes if you use it.

Ax'ataxa
25-04-2009, 02:44
no matter how you slice it that new list looks daunting to me :eek:

Kalec
25-04-2009, 07:47
Standards or musicians over champs in the warriors. Get a barded steed for the scroll caddy.