PDA

View Full Version : frenzy fest rats style

wildkarrde0
22-04-2009, 15:32
hi i'm looking for new army something different from just about every i've done so I thought oi would skaven

1 Plague Priest @ 136 Pts
Frenzy; Censer
Skavenbrew

1 Plague Priest @ 126 Pts
Frenzy; Censer
Liber Bubonicus

1 Plague Priest @ 136 Pts
General; Frenzy; Censer
Twisted Crown of the Horned Rat

1 Chieftain @ 149 Pts
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard
Storm Banner

20 Clanrats @ 180 Pts
Light Armour; Shield; Musician
Weapon Team Pts
Warpfire Thrower

20 Clanrats @ 180 Pts
Light Armour; Shield; Musician
Weapon Team
Warpfire Thrower

28 Plague Monks @ 274 Pts
Frenzy; 2ndWeapon; full FC
War Banner

24 Plague Monks @ 225 Pts
Frenzy; 2ndWeapon; full FC

20 Clanrat Slaves @ 44 Pts
Musician

20 Clanrat Slaves @ 44 Pts
Musician

6 Giant Rat Pack @ 30 Pts
Packmasters
Whip; Light Armour

6 Giant Rat Pack @ 30 Pts
Packmasters
Whip; Light Armour

9 Plague Censer Bearers @ 153 Pts
Frenzy; Censer

9 Plague Censer Bearers @ 153 Pts
Frenzy; Censer

7 Poison Wind Globadiers @ 70 Pts
Poison Wind Globe

7 Poison Wind Globadiers @ 70 Pts
Poison Wind Globe

wildkarrde0
23-04-2009, 06:05
sorry about the bump I would like some feed back is this list workable

Makarion
23-04-2009, 07:51
I'd think trhat you really need a better general, for the leadership. And your magic defense is non-existant. Now, some random slave units getting wasted is no problem, but your more expensive units *will* cause panic - and you're not going to deal with that very well unless you have a warlord.

Necromancer2
23-04-2009, 12:40
I agree to use a warlord for your general.

Makarion
23-04-2009, 19:08
A Grey Seer isn't a bad choice (or even a plague priest), but you really need to pack a scroll or two in that case.

Oh, and why the book? It's not like you'll have the PD to actually cast spells.

metal midget
24-04-2009, 16:29
i personally think magic defense is needed urgently in these kind of points there will be lots of magic offensethat will destroy your force

you need at least 5 dd and 2 scrolls

petpetpetpet
24-04-2009, 16:47
I'd take the pestilens list from the back of the book and take lots of core plague monks :>

moose
24-04-2009, 17:02
I'd echo petpetpetpet's suggestion above.

If not...

Not having a warlord isn't as bad, since you have the BSB.

Also i'd drop the 2 warpfire throwers, as a pestillens army wouldn't use them. For 150pts you could get alot more rats too...i'd invest it in making your giant rat units bigger or adding a unit of 25 clanrats with FC.

Moose.

metal midget
25-04-2009, 22:02
if you want a pestilens themed army try the bubonic court of nurglitch in the lustria campaign book

happy_doctor
28-04-2009, 10:51
I'd try to get a couple of single Rat Ogres in the list, seeing as you have the special slots... They can be used as Eagles on foot, redirecting enemy charges, baiting units and blocking the frenzy charges of your blocks if need be. More importantly, they don't cause panic if they die or flee! An added bonus is the extra combat punch they occasionally add, although they will end up dead sooner than that most of the time.

Warpfire throwers will prove to be golden against combat oriented armies or armies without magic. However, a single magic missile is enough to kill them and you have no magic defense to counter even the simplest spells. Either you feel capable enough to shield them from enemy magic until they are needed and thus take them, or you leave them home and bulk out your units some more.

On to heroes:
Skavenbrew on the Plague priest seems a waste of points; the only result you're going after is hatred, which you can get by using the banner of burning hatred for less points. The banner's negative effect can be countered for a turn or two by screening your plague monks with rats or slaves. A good alternative for the plague priest's equipment would be the warpstone amulet, just make sure he isn't your general.

Poison Wind Globadiers: nice touch, can help deal with armoured foes and -more importantly- monsters. The latter give skaven a hard time without the help of clan Skryre. The problem is that your opponent will be aware of this as well. Consider your censers, the PWG and the warpfire throwers as the primary targets for shooting and/or magic. As far as size is concerned, perhaps 6 strong would be better (if they have to take a panic test due to casualties, they can no longer provoke panic tests as they will be US 4 or less).

The clanrat units you have chosen are currently little more than expensive slave units. Without the extra numbers and banner to ensure their 5 static Combat Resolution, they prevent you from using them as plague priest delivery systems and force you to go the "deathstar" route, fielding all of your eggs in two easily bait-able frenzied baskets.

So, to summarise:
-Make the clanrats 25-strong, give them full command
-Consider filling your special choices with 2 lone rat ogres
-If you feel it's necessary, give the banner of burning hatred to the small plague monk unit
-Replace Skavenbrew for Warpstone Amulet
-Consider dropping warpfire throwers
-Lower the globadiers to 6-strong
-Drop the Heavy armour from your chieftain (makes him immune to Rule of Burning Iron, he shouldn't be seeing much combat anyway)
-Consider doubling the amount of giant rats

On a side note, the army could possibly work as it is right now, but I think it's match-up dependable. With a little tweaking it can become an all-comers force.