PDA

View Full Version : 2-handed weapon + shield

Sirroelivan
22-04-2009, 19:36
If using a two-handed weapon in close combat, do you still get the default armour save bonus from a shield you carry with you?

Lord Zarkov
22-04-2009, 19:40
If you chose to wield the two-handed weapon in combat you may not claim the +1sv bonus from the sheild while in that combat.

rtunian
22-04-2009, 19:41
the reason you get the bonus against missile attacks is because when you are on the way to battle, your weapons are sheathed. in the case of great weapon, that means its on your back. then in combat, you have to sling the shield onto your back trading places with the great weapon.

p.54 of the brb under "requires two hands"

that is of course if you choose to use the great weapon and not your default hand weapon

perplexiti
22-04-2009, 19:41
Yup, it's only good vs missle weapons or magic.

elf_hater_7
22-04-2009, 19:42
No. It says in the rulebook "it is not possible to simultaneousloy employ a shield" with two handed weapon, and also says that shields must be slung behind warrior's back or dropped while he fights in combat i.e. not in a position where he can use it to defend himself. You will still get a save bonus vs shooting, however.

invinciblebug
22-04-2009, 19:43
Yup, it's only good vs missle weapons or magic.

Occasionally you might want to use your HW+shield in CC too.

Milgram
22-04-2009, 20:33
especially if you field questing knights...

Sirroelivan
22-04-2009, 21:53
The problem I had is just that it doesn't say that you lose the bonus. It just says your shield is slung on your back, but nowhere does it say you have to actually wield the shield to get the bonus.

(Though I know losing the bonus is the sensible choice)

Nurgling Chieftain
22-04-2009, 22:47
It just says your shield is slung on your back, but nowhere does it say you have to actually wield the shield to get the bonus.It also doesn't say anywhere that you get to gain a bonus from something you're not using, and the definition of "not using" is that you're - ahem - not using it.

Lord Zarkov
22-04-2009, 23:50
What on earth would be the point of the rule "two handed" if you got still to use your shield though?

Clegane
22-04-2009, 23:56
What on earth would be the point of the rule "two handed" if you got still to use your shield though?

To facilitate the removal of the extra +1 you get when pairing a shield and HW?

I agree with you, mind. I don't think shields count for anything when you're wielding a zwiehander. But it did seem a sensible answer to your question.

Glimfeather
22-04-2009, 23:56
It seems to me that sometimes people use the word "bonus" incorrectly (and inconsistently) when discussing this particular topic.

If you are using a shield in combat (or against magic/shooting) your armor save is _improved_ by 1. You further gain the "parry bonus" of an additional point as a result of using the hand weapon / shield combo while actually in close combat (and not against shooting/magic).

Thus, if you have light armor + shield + hand weapon in close combat your armor save is 4+ (6+, +1 for shield, +1 for bonus). While moving up to the combat the unit may incur shooting and/or magic and only have a 5+ armor save. If you use great weapons in combat the same unit will only have a save of 6+. These values (shield related) are adjusted when you are attacked in the flank or rear.

This was rather difficult for me to "see" (and as a result - learn) when I started playing warhammer 2.5 years ago because I use Army Builder and it does not list an armor save for every possible combination of the weapons deployment - only "best case".

Regards,

Chris

Necromancy Black
23-04-2009, 00:27
when I started playing warhammer 2.5 years ago because I use Army Builder

Well there's your problem :rolleyes:

When I started playing I actually got PDF copies of the BRB and studied that. Then I watched a crap load of people playing and picked up on extra bits of the rules as well as a bit of strategy.

For me it's worked well doing it that way.