PDA

View Full Version : Warshrines.

Dvnjhn
22-04-2009, 21:27
Are they worth it, or do you think that they are too random?

O&G'sRule
22-04-2009, 21:32
Are they worth it, or do you think that they are too random?

I like them, but then I'm used to armies that do unpredictable things

RaZeR
22-04-2009, 22:07
I was originally going to go with one. In themselves I think they're pretty good, I just dont know whether the EotG is worth it... Once you put a mark on it, you're only about 45 pts short of a hellcannon...

W0lf
22-04-2009, 22:18
I used one alot before the FAQ to have unit champ challenge for me. It worked quite well though strangely i dont use one now :P

theunwantedbeing
22-04-2009, 22:20
Warshrines have a very passive effect, for a lot of points.

I prefer the hellcannon, despite the nice scope for conversions for a warshrine.
If you have a cool conversion, make it and take one.
If not...dont bother.

Godfiend
22-04-2009, 23:28
My list has both a shrine and a hellcannon. I find that warshrines are the only way to make the EotG rule remotely beneficial.

Witchblade
23-04-2009, 00:46
I've used 2 in a 2500pt friendly once...

Briohmar
23-04-2009, 08:34
If a champ could get a roll for killing a Champ on the Eye table, the Shrine would be a good thing. Since it does very little now, its definitely not worth the points. Its not even US5, so it doesn't even do a good job in a supporting role. I have recently replaced the Shrine with a Giant of Slaanesh, and I likely won't re-incorporate it in less than 3K games.

Kerill
23-04-2009, 08:55
Generally don't take one, not at all worth the points.

There are some provisos though:

With banner of the gods they are amazing tarpits
With a unit of chosen with favour it can be fine but not incredible
Warshrines could also be used to boost the following:
Dragon rider with favour
Chaos lord on disk with favour

Maarten K
23-04-2009, 12:04
In combination with two units of dragon ogres with champions it's nice, not good mind you, but nice.

Unuhexium
23-04-2009, 17:49
I have one and i've used quite a lot to give for example my halberd-swinging warriors of khorne a little extra boost when i need a sure kill. For some wierd reason i almost always roll a 5 on the eotg chart. I haven't done any mathhammer to see if there's anything i can really gain by replacing it, but i like it since it enables me to put a little extra pressure where i need it.

Also, i enjoy the chaosfactor of it. :D

"My trolls always said: 'shrine's like a box of chocolates... you never know what you'll get."

O&G'sRule
23-04-2009, 22:34
I use mine simply as an army booster, giving the most vulnerable unit each turn a helping hand, sitting behind the army out of harms way. That doesn't mean it doesn't usually beat stuff that go after it, but I prefer to keep it safe. It works great at that, often just giving a unit exactly what it needs in what previously looked an unwinnable situation. In my troll army it doesn't attract that much attention anyway

Godgolden
23-04-2009, 22:56
used 2 and a unit of chosen, they became silly, very very silly.

i use 1 in my 'regular' list and it works a charm, my friends complained about how cheap it is (stark contrast to people on heres opinion)

overall i like it.

if you absolutely have to kill said target, giver of glory a knight unit with hero with favour, and make them even more silly than normal.

alot of people form an opinion and never try it, or tried it once and it stupified their dragon lord, but for me it always seems to work.

only downside is its basically a 'buffer' unit so it does take up points away from directly killing stuff.

edit: i run them unmarked, the only mark i would realistically take would be slaanesh as they do tend to be suseptable to terror in a largely (my army) immune to psych army, i mean why bother with a 3+ ward, it aint your lord you know =P

Tae
24-04-2009, 09:43
I use one in my lists and I love it. Sure occasionally it only seems to want to roll 7's for me, but when you run a MoT list the possibility of getting a 12 (3+ ward saves ftw!) is just too good to pass up.

Also in my previous game it helped me win on turn 6. Vilitch and his warriors were up against Teclis and his Phoenix Guard with Teclis repeatedly getting off Courage of Asureyan (sp), to make sure they didn't run anywhere. Last turn, my turn 6, warhsinre will target Vilitch's unit and rolls ... 11, terror! Stubborn that you poncy elf.

Also, they make amazing arrow magnets. I've lost count of the number of times people shoot at the Shrine instead of my units of warriors. This occurs even AFTER they know they need 6's to wound and I get a 4+/4++.

Briohmar
24-04-2009, 09:54
Don't get me wrong, I custom built one, and used it for a while, but one can only take so many magic Resistance 3 rolls against Dwarves to realize it doesn't really do much for you. I've had some odd results with it. Some of which have been really over the top. Getting +1 attack on my already frenzied Chaos Knights. Getting +1 Toughness on my Chaos Warriors about to charge a unit of zombies. I have yet to get the Ward Save, and have yet to have a champion kill a character or monster in a challenge to justify that aspect of it. I mean, if the Eye of the Gods rule were something useful like, if you win a challenge, and the enemy unit is run down, or if you engage a monster and it is subsequently destroyed. OK, then having the Shrine would be a great thing, but as it is, if you kill an enemy character in a challenge, or a monster... What a waste.

Tae
24-04-2009, 10:22
Don't get me wrong, I custom built one, and used it for a while, but one can only take so many magic Resistance 3 rolls against Dwarves to realize it doesn't really do much for you. I've had some odd results with it. Some of which have been really over the top. Getting +1 attack on my already frenzied Chaos Knights. Getting +1 Toughness on my Chaos Warriors about to charge a unit of zombies. I have yet to get the Ward Save, and have yet to have a champion kill a character or monster in a challenge to justify that aspect of it. I mean, if the Eye of the Gods rule were something useful like, if you win a challenge, and the enemy unit is run down, or if you engage a monster and it is subsequently destroyed. OK, then having the Shrine would be a great thing, but as it is, if you kill an enemy character in a challenge, or a monster... What a waste.

You do get to roll if you destroy a large target by running it down, which is different from characters (as stated by the most recent FAQ). However I would agree with you in that having played close to 30 or so games with my new WoC army I think I've rolled on the table (other than from Warshrines) a grand total of about Twice - once for my Slaanesh Lord twonking Khalida and the other for a Wizard zapping the last wound off of a giant.

Godgolden
04-05-2009, 03:13
in the case of a heros and a champion in a unit running down a large target they all get a roll.

its luck based as the gods are fickle, just laugh about it and its fine.

Chaos Puppy
04-05-2009, 11:37
I don't use them that much I stick with really cheap rare choices, mainly because all my points are eaten up but heavy suits of metal clad knights/warriors. Such as he spawn I use them alot, 55 pts. unbreakable and pretty good over all stats, for a cheap price.

FloridaAttorney
04-05-2009, 14:01
Don't forget Valkia's ability

Nicha11
04-05-2009, 21:24
Warshrines are awesome as blockers with MOT.

Enenemy knight unit incoming? Block it with your warshrine, you've got toughness 6 and a 3+ward save with 4 wounds.

Godgolden
04-05-2009, 21:37
i tend to use my warshrine as a sacrifice to charges when my lines been compromised, to stop flanks and rrear charges of important uses, and oddy as you say they can every now and then hold up a unit :).

Kalec
05-05-2009, 02:40
Dual shrines with Valkia and a unit of chosen with favor on the champ and some other stuff works nicely, but I don't bother unless I center my list around taking advantage of EoTG. With all the gubbins, I have very good odds of getting a good effect when I need it. With just a shrine, I might as well not bother.

championofkhorne
13-05-2009, 05:21
I love my warshrine, if not just for the fullfyness of it, the EotG table makes my already ridiculously good chosen/warriors just plain silly. sure sometimes it has useless things to your situation, but if you dont want that, then I think you should rethink playing an army with the word "chaos" in it.

have fun, enjoy the fluff, and destroy your enemies.

Red_Duke
13-05-2009, 12:35
I'm currently planning a slaaneshi themed one. Played against a number of them now, and found them devilishly hard to kill, although laughably easy to deal with when you can use fear against all the other marked variants. 3+ ward save sounds great until you're outnumbered by fear causers and are holding on a double 1...

cotillion989
13-05-2009, 12:46
I like running 2 warshrines of slaanesh with a Large unit of Tzeenchian chosen with Festus, sigvald and a chosen with the 5pt upgrade that lets you add or subtract 1 from the roll. I have yet to not get the 4+(3+) wardsave/stubborn on turn one. This gives me a giant unit of chosen that cant be march blocked, slowed by terrain, with 2h weps, a 4+ armor save, a 3+ward save, and a 5+ regen save and 2 more EoTG bonuses. (usually go for +toughness and terror if i can.) Sure its most of your army in one unit, but it's one hell of a unit. Last game i took 4 cannon shots to the face and didn't lose a chosen...

Elazar The Glorified
13-05-2009, 13:04
I have only used one once so far and had great fun using it with my dragon ogres. I buffed them up to cause terror and then sent them hunting. The Dragon Ogre champion got two rolls on the table after taking out a giant and a warboss gaining +1T and MR. I thought it was quite good but more for friendly play than competitive!

Althwen
13-05-2009, 14:53
Currently I believe that shrines are best put to use in battles against where you're facing an elite army like Elves or Daemons. The extra and random effect can really throw your opponent off guard and add that little punch if you're lucky. Swarm armies usually don't require warriors or knights to hit harder as they're already far superior. In those cases I'd recommend you spend the points on something else.

The last time I used one, I kept rolling 6's. My opponent suddenly faced Knights with a 0+ Armor save and Chaos warriors with a 1+ in combat.

And as mentioned before, I, like to use the shrine to guard the rear of some of my units. Maybe block a cavalry charge here and there. Even with a Mark of SLaanesh they're hard enough to kill.

jaxom
13-05-2009, 20:40
I like running 2 warshrines of slaanesh with a Large unit of Tzeenchian chosen with Festus, sigvald and a chosen with the 5pt upgrade that lets you add or subtract 1 from the roll. I have yet to not get the 4+(3+) wardsave/stubborn on turn one. This gives me a giant unit of chosen that cant be march blocked, slowed by terrain, with 2h weps, a 4+ armor save, a 3+ward save, and a 5+ regen save and 2 more EoTG bonuses. (usually go for +toughness and terror if i can.) Sure its most of your army in one unit, but it's one hell of a unit. Last game i took 4 cannon shots to the face and didn't lose a chosen...

There is a viable deathstar build at the heart of this which is actually fairly reliable. Given three blessings (Chosen + 2 Warshrines) and the Favor of the Gods you can actually get fairly solid control of the EotG table. In 3000+ point games you can actually pick some of your blessings exactly over 2 turns.

Without considering rerolls there are 990 possible (non-unique) combinations of three blessings possible. Using a state table it is possible to exhaustively solve for the odds of every one of those combinations (and state tables are helpful because it is important in some cases to know which blessings can and cannot be rerolled). Using the same state table you can then eliminate combinations which result in rerolling (e.g. 7 for the initial roll or duplicates). You can also represent which ones are "eliminated" by use of the Favor.

It's easiest to do with code, but can also be done with a spreadsheet if you are meticulous. If you would like the actual statistical treatment, send me a PM and I will forward the information to you.

In a nutshell, the synopsis is this. If you take blessings 5 and 8 or 6 and 9 with your first two blessings then the odds of getting a Ward begin to go up markedly starting with the third roll. Including the chance of getting the Ward on your first two rolls, you are roughly 50% likely to have a Ward after the first turn. That goes up to 75% after turn 2 and between 85 and 90% on turn 3. You are, at the same time, roughly 25% to be stupid by the time you get the Ward.

What would *you* do with a frenzied, ItP block of Chosen with 4 attacks each (5 for the champ), MR2 or MR3 and 3+ Ward?

championofkhorne
14-05-2009, 05:10
I would go to disneyworld

changer of fate
14-05-2009, 07:59
I still think that anything got to do with EoTG table is a gamble, and u can't rely on it. my rule is, if i get it cool, if i don't get it idk

Althwen
14-05-2009, 16:45
What would *you* do with a frenzied, ItP block of Chosen with 4 attacks each (5 for the champ), MR2 or MR3 and 3+ Ward?

Pff yesterday I was completely PWND by a friend fielding Dark ELves in a way that didnt even care that I'd rolled 12 on EotG for my Chosen before the battle started.... He just backed away from it and shot at everything else.

I bloody hate DE at the momemnt... I can't seem to control them with their super adaptable army. Especially the ones that consist entrely of cavalry, shades and bolt throwers led by a lvl 4 sorceror on a dragon, bakced up by 2 more wizards.
What am I supposed to against that?!

Maybe I should start a sperate thread instead of hijacking this one, though.

Godgolden
14-05-2009, 16:47
Pff yesterday I was completely PWND by a friend fielding Dark ELves in a way that didnt even care that I'd rolled 12 on EotG for my Chosen before the battle started.... He just backed away from it and shot at everything else.

I bloody hate DE at the momemnt... I can't seem to control them with their super adaptable army. Especially the ones that consist entrely of cavalry, shades and bolt throwers led by a lvl 4 sorceror on a dragon, bakced up by 2 more wizards.
What am I supposed to against that?!

Maybe I should start a sperate thread instead of hijacking this one, though.

Get a better friend :)

Lijacote
14-05-2009, 17:08

Lay low the dominion of man and lay claim to a new era of true divinity... obviously.

That 3 warshrines-thing sounds really cool, actually. Not that I'd mind using even one warshrine, I love the idea of it and in practice it doesn't even *look* that horrible...

I think they are worth it in every way.

Griffery
17-05-2009, 01:50
I like them alot and I thinkk I should try them more but They are not part of my normal army list.

Troah
17-05-2009, 02:14
What the heck is a Warshrine?

Rank&Foul
17-05-2009, 06:34
I would go to disneyworld

I've been to Disneyworld. Everyone but Pluto got slaughtered up in half till they were dead.

danny-d-b
17-05-2009, 06:41

a chaos rare choise, letts a unit roll on the eye of the God tables

changer of fate
17-05-2009, 09:50

do u own a WoC army book? u ask what a forsaken is in another thread as well.

Seth the Dark
17-05-2009, 12:08
I like the Warshrines primarily because of the roll on the EotG table and the fact that it isn't a super unit. Plus I'd like to run a footslogging list and this unit would fit in nicely.

Troah
17-05-2009, 19:10
do u own a WoC army book? u ask what a forsaken is in another thread as well.

No I do not. Nor have I fought them or even see any chaos codex. Only 7th edition Codex I have seen are Lizardmen (Own), Dark Elves, High Elves, and Vampire.

Kerill
17-05-2009, 23:58
No I do not. Nor have I fought them or even see any chaos codex. Only 7th edition Codex I have seen are Lizardmen (Own), Dark Elves, High Elves, and Vampire.

Then perhaps you should buy the ARMY BOOK.

Troah
18-05-2009, 00:05
And the why heck would I wanna do that? I find all the chaos armies rather ugly and unattractive.

Warboss Antoni
18-05-2009, 00:10
t-t-t-t-t-t-trollll

Troah
18-05-2009, 00:18
t-t-t-t-t-t-trollll

I'm a troll?

Unuhexium
18-05-2009, 00:49
i guess that's the general meaning of the above message ^^

Troah
18-05-2009, 00:59
:cries:
Meanies. Now I DON'T wanna get a chaos codex.

Unuhexium
18-05-2009, 01:22
Haha, what kind of answer do you expect when posting "what the heck is [unit]?" in different threads and then complaining about Chaos? No offense man, but that's trolltalk. No way around it. I'll just stop feeding you now and go to sleep.

danny-d-b
18-05-2009, 06:08
And the why heck would I wanna do that? I find all the chaos armies rather ugly and unattractive.

so why get involved in there descusion- if you don't like them move to another part of the forum, like say the lizzardman threads

Einholt
18-05-2009, 06:27
Jesus Christ guys he just said he is not interested in playing WoC and asked for information on the unit in a thread about it. So that perhaps if he runs into it he wont be surprised. Why would he buy a book for an army he does not use? Seriously that is not trolling.

On the warshrine, I think it's a gamble and as said earlier if you have a cool conversion go for it, but I would not put it as a priority to acquire otherwise.