PDA

View Full Version : Hail of Doom Arrow... Stand and Shoot!?

Dark_Knight
23-04-2009, 08:23
Can a WE Noble with the Hail of Doom Arrow stand and shoot with the Doom Arrow? My friend's WE noble did this to me and toasted my five knights of the realm with this item and reaction paired. :eek:

SabaLoth
23-04-2009, 11:09
i don't see why he couldn't

Chicago Slim
23-04-2009, 12:05
The standing and shooting part is totally legit.

The part where the HODA dropped 5 knights is definitely improbable-- you got hurt more by bad luck, than by broken rules... (each splinter from the HODA vs. T3 / 2+ / 6+ KOTR has a 15.4% chance of scoring a wound-- so 3d6 of them has an "expected" score of just under 2 kills. Even though that initial 3d6 roll adds a lot of variance to the probability distribution, even a very high number of splinters is unlikely to kill more than 2 knights...)

pootleberry
24-04-2009, 14:41
Also, correct me if I am wrong but your target must be charging you from over short range, so on a longbow that's 16". Your Knights of the Realm are all barded cavalry, 14" charge, so unless there's some rule enabling WE to always stand and shoot, and/or some special equipment the Noble was equipped with, then I can't see how he could have stood and shot.

This is where crossbows, and their equivalents, are nice and they allow you to stand and shoot against charging cavalry (only just though).

Clegane
24-04-2009, 14:43
Also, correct me if I am wrong but your target must be charging you from over short range, so on a longbow that's 16". Your Knights of the Realm are all barded cavalry, 14" charge, so unless there's some rule enabling WE to always stand and shoot, and/or some special equipment the Noble was equipped with, then I can't see how he could have stood and shot.

This is where crossbows, and their equivalents, are nice and they allow you to stand and shoot against charging cavalry (only just though).

No, no. They must be charging from more than half of THEIR maximum charge distance, not your weapon range, in order for Stand/Shoot to work. You're muddling your rules a bit there and sewing yourself needless confusion. ;)

pootleberry
24-04-2009, 14:47
Oh that's super duper then. Thanks Clegane.

Clegane
24-04-2009, 14:51
No problem.

And remember, the rule actually gauges the charge MOVEMENT, rather than the DISTANCE. Ie...even if they are physically less than half of their charge range away from you, if a wheel maneuver or a difficult terrain adjustment is required for them to reach you, you apply that to the total.

rottahn
24-04-2009, 16:46
knights of the realm charge 16". all horses in the bretonnian army that have barding, ignore the movement penalty

popisdead
05-05-2009, 18:19
kudos to your friend :P