PDA

View Full Version : Counselor is NOT a might battery

Ksarn
23-04-2009, 17:11
Hey guys, I have recently run into players who have been using Gandalf and Galadriel as might batteries for their heroes.

This basically works because they have the touched by destiny rule and can call a free epic action a turn and with their counselor ability it should give a point of might to someone every turn.

Unfortunately its not true, if you real touched by destiny's rules, it states that they may call a single epic action without expending any might per turn. Counselor is not an epic action, hence they must expend a point of might to give someone one.

Nu Fenix
23-04-2009, 20:03
I believe that the combo uses Epic Renewal, which does work with Touched By Destiny.

I'd need to re-read Sarah's combo to see what exactly she does step by step however.

The Muster of Rohan
23-04-2009, 21:40
Yep - Use "Touched by Destiny" to power up "Epic Renewal" and pop an extra point of Might on a mate nearby.

Sarah S
23-04-2009, 21:49
Also, Counsellor is a positive benefit when you do it back and forth, because every roll of 6 nets you 3 Might at the cost of 1.

Ship enough of them back and forth and you are guaranteed of getting a bunch of 6's multiplying your Might dramatically. When you have so much might you can afford to use Might to modify the rolls, you can get tons of Might with a couple Counsellors.

Jorgen_CAB
24-04-2009, 05:24
That is sick... :)

Ksarn
24-04-2009, 07:08
seems like you guys do have it down pretty well, I am just frustrated because I played an elf player last night who was adamant that it worked with counsellor.

Imagine Glorfindel with 9 might charging your Trolls one by one...... :(

Rirekon
24-04-2009, 07:59
Can Heroes really gain more Might then they start with? That seems a bit of an oversight

xxRavenxx
24-04-2009, 08:21
I'd say that they can. There are fortunes that add bonus might to heros before the games even started, meaning they must be able to have more than their base ammount.

Hoster
24-04-2009, 23:28
Counsellor rules clearly state might may raise above starting amounts.

lotrchampion
25-04-2009, 00:28
Awesome, you have lots of Might points. Unless you're a good enough player to know exactly what you want to do with it, apply it correctly and then follow it up with a high standard of gameplay, it will make jack all difference other than to make you go "Wow, Might points! What can I do with these?". At the end of the day, it relies on a fairly expensive combo that when included at low points games will reduce the quality of the army overall (in all likelihood). In larger games when it's affordable, the opponent is likely to have something to counter it.

Think of it as being like Aragorn's free Might in the SBG-useful, not gamebreaking, and you pay the points for it. :)

Lord Asuryan
28-04-2009, 21:33
I've tried the gandalf galadriel combo, and It is just SICKENING. even with just one of them, it can provide loads of free might, which, contrary to lotrchampion's opinion, are not hard at all to use. the only problem with might is that IT RUNS OUT. and if it doesn't, well...

think about it. each point of might seems to be valued at around 20-25 points by GW. with the possiblity of multiplying it into 3, with aboslutely no downside (galadriel and gandalf swapping might) as well as being able to strategically use heroic actions all over the board (Gandalf the White, overlord) and resupply heroes, it's NASTY. only problem is finding enough ally room, if not elves.