PDA

View Full Version : new to high elves help please

colonel kane trine
23-04-2009, 19:29
Hi i recently got back into warhammer fantasy and have decided to finally collect an army i have always loved-High elves.I have quite a sizeable army so far but havent played any games with it.When i originally played warhammer i used orcs and goblins or undead so high elves are quite a change for me.Theres a few questions i have to ask and would appreciate any answers i get. Thanks in advance.

1)I have a dragon rider boxset and am not sure whether do make the rider a prince or an archmage/dragon mage.My army has access to plenty of mages so i thought a prince would be best but im not sure.Does anyone have any experience with any of the 3 possible rider types?
2) are lothern sea guard any good?
3)is there any point to including full command groups in archer regiments?
does anyone have any suggestions for a good regiment size for archers?
4)I like the look of my spearmen units 20 strong is this too many?
5) Sword masters are my favourite special choice and i wanted to field them in units of 20 but from looking on forums units of 14 seems to be better/more common is this correct?
6)im really unsure on phoenix guard can anyone tell me advantages of this unit?
7)Are silver helms a good unit or am i better off getting dragon princes?
8)i like the idea of ellyrian reavers with bows is this a good unit or would it be a waste of points?

Thankyou in advance to anyone to helps me with these questions im newly back into fantasy and i think choosing an army fairly unfamiliar to me in every way was always going to be a challenge!

LKHERO
23-04-2009, 19:51
1)I have a dragon rider boxset and am not sure whether do make the rider a prince or an archmage/dragon mage.My army has access to plenty of mages so i thought a prince would be best but im not sure.Does anyone have any experience with any of the 3 possible rider types?

Go with a Prince.

2) are lothern sea guard any good?

Too expensive for what they do.

3)is there any point to including full command groups in archer regiments?

Zero.

does anyone have any suggestions for a good regiment size for archers?

4)I like the look of my spearmen units 20 strong is this too many?

20 is exactly what you should field them as. 20 or 25.

5) Sword masters are my favourite special choice and i wanted to field them in units of 20 but from looking on forums units of 14 seems to be better/more common is this correct?

You want smaller units of them because they still threaten the field and don't cost as many points. 5+ armor save vs everything is just too unreliable in bigger blocks.

6)im really unsure on phoenix guard can anyone tell me advantages of this unit?

Do you own a book? The part where it says Cause Fear and 4+ Ward should suffice.

7)Are silver helms a good unit or am i better off getting dragon princes?

Dragon Princes are much better for the cost.

8)i like the idea of ellyrian reavers with bows is this a good unit or would it be a waste of points?

They can work.. but I think they're a waste of points because they die like fodder.

danny7865
23-04-2009, 20:01
Well LK summed it up well.I like LSG as an upgrade for archers as in two ranks with asf they can usually deal with enemy flyers etc.anything bigger then go spearmen.

I find reaver knights good as a screening unit or getting off charges against archers and warmachines .If you dont upgrade them I find they often get overlooked on a battle field.just dont rely on them as one turn of shooting can finish them off.

FTR Ive never seen a mage on a dragon survive a game ....it's just too tempting a target.
good luck
Danny

colonel kane trine
23-04-2009, 20:29
i really like high elf archers lookwise but i didnt know they were rubbish in the actual game
as for phoenix guard a unit of 24 with caradryan sounds good to me!
My dragon rider is going to be a prince with star lance and armour of caledor

anyone have any tips/hints this army is quite new to me as i have been used to either a horde type force or one that never runs anywhere and is frubbish in combat seems high elves are nothing like this

danny7865
23-04-2009, 20:41
Tip number one is fight on your terms.YOU have too few elves to get bogged down in a meat grinder.
With the prince remember to use the breath attack, as it plays havoc with low leadership armies.

Rememeber the high elves are devastating as they hit first.... if any one is remaining they hit back.As such try to kill champions where possible.

Btw if you are hell bent on taking swordmasters give a mage the loremasters cloak so magic doesnt hurt them.shooting is more problematic but ya never know you might pull off the howler wind too ;).

All in all play to high elves strengths of magic,shooting or dragons.and which ever you choose have a plan in place for them.Just don't worry if you mess up high elves are fragile but every game you'll learn about them.I must have been massacred four times before i properly got the knack of them

Danny

danny7865
23-04-2009, 20:43
Oh and i wouldn't say archers were rubbish because they can be amazing with the curse of arrow attraction. But like i say every thing in its place.:)

colonel kane trine
23-04-2009, 21:07
Thankyou i think the new challenge that high elves seem to present to me is something i cant wait to succeed at

knightime98
24-04-2009, 06:09
A lion chariot or two would not hurt your cause either. Really they are the talk of High Elves.. One Lion chariot, and a small unit of dragon princes charging a hard enemy unit has an excellent chance of cracking it!

colonel kane trine
26-04-2009, 10:51
Im definately thinking of getting 2 lion chariots and ill charge them against my enemy with them and my 5 dragon princes