PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Carnosaur's rules

Zarryiosiad
24-04-2009, 08:27
I'll apologize for this question in advance if this has already been discussed, but I have a question about the new rules for the Carnosaur. Specifically, what I would like to know is whether the Carnosaur is still considered to be a monster, or is it a steed?

The situation came up in a game last night, when a Saurus Old Blood riding a Carnosaur was attacked by a Herald of Khorne. I challenged his general to a duel with my Herald of Khorne and managed to kill him. We figured the Carnosaur would get his attacks back, but when we looked in the Lizardman army book for the Carnosaur's reaction, there was nothing.

So my question is, is the Carnosaur a steed or a monster? If it's a steed, then attacks cannot be allocated against it, it can't be targeted or harmed in any way, and the only way to get rid of it is to kill the Saurus Oldblood riding it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. In the game, we decided that it was a cavalry mount and removed it from play once the rider was dead. Hope that was right!

Zarry

theunwantedbeing
24-04-2009, 08:34
Didnt you ask this a day or 2 ago?

The carnosaur has more than 1 wound, so is a monster not a steed.
As per page 59 of the rulebook.

You ruled it wrong and I cannot fathom how on earth you managed to feel okay with that conclusion.

Zarryiosiad
24-04-2009, 09:02
Thank you for the prompt reply. In the future, we'll play it correctly. In my defense, until the Lizardman book came out, no one in our group has ever used a monstrous mount. So three players looked at the book and came to the same conclusion. I wanted the question clarified for future games, as the Carnosaur is a very effective mount and we expect to see it a LOT more in our group.

Zarry

HellRaid
25-04-2009, 02:29
Technically it's neither a steed nor a monster, but rather a monstrous mount (which have slightly different rules to standalone monsters). You'll find a couple extra rules for them such as monster reactions for slain riders - it's either under the Characters or Monsters sections, I don't have the RB to hand (better yet, just look up the index for monstrous mounts :)).

Braad
25-04-2009, 13:30
Page 58 and onwards: monsters. On 59 it start about monstrous mounts, and says that 1 wound mounts are described under the cavalry section, but if it has 2 or more wounds, that you need to follow the monstrous mounts rules. Al you need is right there.