PDA

View Full Version : Do Baneblades have kitchens?

Deus Mechanicus
24-04-2009, 12:31
It seems that the Iron Saint has a dedicated Chef position, so do all Baneblades have a catering area??

Poseidal
24-04-2009, 12:33
If they take after British Challenger 2s, they will at least have a small pantry or hot water supply and teapot to make tea.

Tea is serious business.

Mannimarco
24-04-2009, 13:10
yeah i didnt get that either, a baneblade is a bloody great big tank, its noisy and cramped inside, as much as its funny to imagine it i cant imagine the crew hanging out in the canteen between battles

captainramoz
24-04-2009, 13:19
Probably after all stc vehicles have a lot of things inside them

BLZBOB
24-04-2009, 13:20
I don't think they have a full kitchen but in a fighting vehicle of that size I wouldn't put a bog, and small water dispenser and microwave out of the picture. After all they are meant to be fighting is pretty nasty conditions and its not as if you can nip out for a brew and a dump as the hordes are approaching.

The chef position is more likely to be for a field kitchen position as after all you have a few crew to look after.

parus_ater
24-04-2009, 13:23
Perhaps the componants of a field kitchen? I can fit such a thing into two transit vans plus 9 pyramidal tents

BLZBOB
24-04-2009, 13:34
Perhaps a more important question is does the baneblade come with cupholders or is that a lost STC add on?

IAMNOTHERE
24-04-2009, 13:46
They come with cup holders as standard, all you need to do is take the 5" shiney plastic disks off the sliding plastic trays first.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have some way of heating hot water though, very surprised.

BLZBOB
24-04-2009, 13:54
Sadly knowing the imperium tea is heated by placing the cups in the demolisher exhaust bypass valve. This does mean though that you need to blow something up for a decent brew ;)

Wargamejunkie
24-04-2009, 13:55
It seems that the Iron Saint has a dedicated Chef position, so do all Baneblades have a catering area??

As with the US military and I am sure with all the worlds armies throughout time. If your buddies found out your a good cook *BAM* your now the chef of the group.

I am sure a vessel that large would have some sort of eating/bunk area. I doubt it would be large enough to require a full time cook, but with the Imperium bodies are cheap so you never know.

Bunnahabhain
24-04-2009, 14:06
The built in boiling vessel is a standard requirement on British tanks. Oddly enough, nobody else insists on them....

It's the kind of thing that is unlikey enough it would be perfectly at home in the 40k settng. Also, a kettle is probably still within the tech preists design capacities.

SylverClaw
24-04-2009, 14:10
Sadly knowing the imperium tea is heated by placing the cups in the demolisher exhaust bypass valve. This does mean though that you need to blow something up for a decent brew ;)

I'm fairly sure the Tech Priests wouldn't approve of that! At least not unless you said the correct Cant of Brewing Imperial Tea first.

This is an excellent question, and not really that silly. Surely the inside of a Baneblade can't be much more cramped than the inside of an old U-boat (size to crew ratio adjusted, anyway)?

I agree with Wargamejunkie. I assume the "chef" is just whichever unfortunate fool once cooked something edible.

Sai-Lauren
24-04-2009, 15:14
Thought it was a (Crew) Chief, not a Chef.

Doubt there's one inside, there might be a hot-water urn for tea and dehydrated instant meals, but that's about it. Maybe there's a field kitchen in stowage, but no crew member would have a rank of chef, they'd have some other rank, with additional responsibility (and pay) for cooking the crews meals.

Unless of course they do what they tried on Top Gear a few years back, wrap their meals in cooking foil and stick them on top of the engine.

"Cooking Instructions: 3,500 revs for an hour and a half" ;)

BLZBOB
24-04-2009, 15:24
Thinking a little more seriously on it, I am pretty certain it would have a small galley nook. Modern bombers have means of heating up meals and supplying drink and crew and space wise perhaps not that different to a Superheavy, after all they are huge pieces of kit and a microwave/zip boiler combo isn't going to take up more room than a heavy bolter ammo box.

IAMNOTHERE
24-04-2009, 15:27
Unless of course they do what they tried on Top Gear a few years back, wrap their meals in cooking foil and stick them on top of the engine.

"Cooking Instructions: 3,500 revs for an hour and a half" ;)

I'll be honest, I've left my rations on engineblocks many times to heat up.

No mess and hot food at zero effort.

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 15:42
I don't see why they wouldn't get standard rations like everyone else. For all we know the Baneblade is chocked full of ammo for the heavy bolters, demolisher cannon, baneblade cannon, the autocannon (gee lots of cannons here), tanks for the flamers, capictors for the lascannons, fuel for the Baneblade itself, spare parts for the engine, etc.

Far as I am concerned if it keeps the tank out in the field and firing that much longer, the crew can survive on standard rations.

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 16:52
With modern rations having some form of self heating, there is no need for a kitchen, even drinks can be heated.

So no, I really doubt there would be a kitchen, even if they didn't have those rations, they wouldn't need them as anytime a Baneblade would be feilded, they would definatly have more than enough support personell along with the army to cover feeding and sheltering.

The military doesn't usually appoint cooks like that anymore (although yes sometimes on a temp status). Usually they are a dedicated job specailty and part of your support group (with your higher grade mechs', people lugging extra ammo, etc).

The only reason U-boats and some planes now have sleeping quarters is because they are designed to be self-sufficiant vehicals. A baneblade would never be deployed on its own to roll around for awhile. Maintinance alone would require some support, not to mention extra ammo!

Brother Siccarius
24-04-2009, 17:06

Take a piece of steel or iron, put it on the engine and you've got a ready-made hotplate.

Though I'd point out that the Baneblade is likely far from crowded. Even with extra ammunition, there would still be plenty of space in a two story tank 2x the size of a similarly heavy troop transport (a Land Raider).

The only reason U-boats and some planes now have sleeping quarters is because they are designed to be self-sufficiant vehicals. A baneblade would never be deployed on its own to roll around for awhile. Maintinance alone would require some support, not to mention extra ammo!

Bombers (The type of aircraft with sleeping quarters and "kitchen areas") are rarely, if ever, deployed alone either. They're also far from self sufficient.

Maintenance on anything would require extra support, regardless of what it is or where it is. Even the Techpriest repair rules would only cover quick field repairs. You just can't do in depth maintenance with bullets flying around you, you stick some gum to the backside of a flattened soda can and cover the holes.

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 17:09
Take a piece of steel or iron, attach it to the engine housing and you've got a ready-made hotplate.

Though I'd point out that the Baneblade is likely far from crowded. Even with extra ammunition, there would still be plenty of space in a two story tank four times the size of a similarly heavy troop transport (a Land Raider).

Well if the Rhino looses all transport capacity when a Demolisher cannon is put inside of it, and if it also looses all tranport capacity when you place an autocannon and 2 heavy bolters on it, similarly with 2 lascannons and a twin linked lascannon (you can see where I am going about ammo storage for all the different weapons alone). If you can find a mondern main battle tank that isn't crowded with everything inside it I will be amazed.

Brother Siccarius
24-04-2009, 17:28
Well if the Rhino looses all transport capacity when a Demolisher cannon is put inside of it, and if it also looses all tranport capacity when you place an autocannon and 2 heavy bolters on it, similarly with 2 lascannons and a twin linked lascannon (you can see where I am going about ammo storage for all the different weapons alone). If you can find a mondern main battle tank that isn't crowded with everything inside it I will be amazed.
Find me one two stories tall that's wide enough to run on sidewalks on both sides of a two lane street.

Four "small arms" distributed around the sides. Lascannons would require batteries, which would take up space, but not a lot (Solid munitions would take up less space, flamers would take up about the same). The weapons themselves take up almost no room in the main body as they're sponson mounted, it's the gunner's position and the battery that would take the most room. There's plenty of room in the sides, just on the first floor, for the Lascannons.
The Demolisher Cannon is large, but wouldn't be too big in that monster (A single story tank 1/4-1/5 the size fits it fairly well), the most space taken up by it would probably be the munition storage. I'd say it takes up a good portion of the front position.
There's the main cannon, which is huge (so huge I'd have to wonder how anyone survives the pressure of it firing in the general vicinity). This will generally take up most of the top section for loading, storage, and gunnery positions.

I still see there being plenty of space for anything the size of a kitchenette to a table or fold away sleeping area. You can create a lot of space in there with simple space saving.

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 17:43
Yeah, similar to what Yarick Zan said above, I think alot of you are vastly overestimating the amount of extra space inside any tank. Ammo storage alone would take up most of the room, not to mention the armor and engines powerful enough to move such a monstrosity. Then add in all the electronics necessary to move this beast, get visibility, and fire said weapons. Keep in mind also, that tanks don't drop their Cannon's spent shell casings like rifles do.

Also, I wouldn't dream of comparing different 40k vehicles to eachother. Its obvious the designers didn't scale them to eachother. But if we did want to compare a Land Raider to a Baneblade.

Baneblade is approx 2x the size you said? I haven't looked at them side by side to be honest, but we will assume that is correct.

A Baneblade has a crew of what? 10+?
A Landraider has a crew of 2-5 (2 drivers, maybe up to 3 support personel/hatch gunners? I personally think the gunning would all be tied into the co-pilot, but at MOST we will say 5 people to include a 'crew chief' in the back)
A Landraider has maybe 4 weapons tops?
A Baneblade has what? Triple that?

This leads us to ammunition; a troop transport would NEVER carry as much extra ammo as a main battle tank, there is just no need to. Due to the way the Astartes fight, it is my opinion that, the Landraider might be their 'super heavy tank' but it is designed more for heavy armor/light anti-infantry, shock deployment, instead of prolonged anti-armor battles like a Baneblade. The Astartes just don't fight that way. Hence why most of the LR's weapons are flamers and heavy bolters. Also, the lack of a cannon, means much more room, remember this is a tanks main weapon, the rest are just for defensive/Anti-Infantry fire.

With all of the above, its easy to see where the space went, and how a Land Raider can carry extra troops. Also, anyone whos ever spent time in any kind of troop transport vehicle, whether it be flying, amphibious or tracked; will know that they don't exactly have room to get up and walk around, its kind of like a drop pod. Packed in there like sardines until its time to get up and get out!

Cool_Mint
24-04-2009, 18:00
I've always wondered if Space Marines ever wear casual clothes in public, or do they have to push shopping carts around the supermarket in full regalia?

All vehicles in 40K are relatively tiny compared to present-day military vehicles, even the Baneblade is far too small for anything more than bare essentials; most of the space has to be taken up by ammo, fuel, engines, armour, emergency equipment and tools with no more than a toilet-cubicle worth of space for each occupant.

I can imagine Rhinos and Land Raiders making sense as super-compact battlefront vehicles equipped only with what they need to go straight into combat and maybe enough fuel left over to get back to base for repair and re-arming.

http://www.gizmology.net/images/tank11.jpg

Lamhirh
24-04-2009, 18:27
Land Raiders do ;)... (http://www.tsoalr.com/wordpress/comics/2005-04-28-168_micro.gif)

IAMNOTHERE
24-04-2009, 18:31
Anyone who thinks that tanks arn't deployed into the field for extended periods needs to look at modern warfare, in fact go back to the western desert.

Crews were routinely asleep at the guns in their down time. Often they didn't even get off the tank to P*ss.

As to rations, low volume (space is a premium remember) high calorie (for energy), tasty (so troops actually eat the damn things) rations are what gets supplied.

The crew of a super heavy are chosen men, selected from countless others to be the elite of tank crews. They'd be treated as such.

Cool_Mint
24-04-2009, 18:38
Land Raiders do ;)... (http://www.tsoalr.com/wordpress/comics/2005-04-28-168_micro.gif)

Much too silly. :p

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 18:55
Anyone who thinks that tanks arn't deployed into the field for extended periods needs to look at modern warfare, in fact go back to the western desert.

Crews were routinely asleep at the guns in their down time. Often they didn't even get off the tank to P*ss.

As to rations, low volume (space is a premium remember) high calorie (for energy), tasty (so troops actually eat the damn things) rations are what gets supplied.

The crew of a super heavy are chosen men, selected from countless others to be the elite of tank crews. They'd be treated as such.

I think we have different views of what an extended period is. Yes they are out for long streches; but they arn't actively fighting/hunting/patrolling. Tanks do need to arm and refuel, just like their crew needs to sleep.

The whole thread is implying that crews take all of their downtime in the tank, they don't. There is no reason to. Tanks don't go out to a combat zone and then sit around, they go out to run a mission and come back. The crew eats, sh$^s, sleeps and shaves before and after, not during. A crew that should be manning their posts, whether it be spotting at the guns or just standing by; and are sleeping instead, are a lazy crew that deserves whatever happens to them. This kind of stuff does happen in the military, but is generally severely disciplined.

That isn't to say that troops don't catch what downtime they can when they can, but your forgetting that war in 40k is nothing compared to whats going on in the 'western desert'. 40k is the all out persecution of war on a massive scale; a good term for it is Total War (forget where I heard that but it works); the concerns we have for politics, civilian casualties and basic RoE (rules of engagement) are not a concern in 40k. Thats why we routinely have troops and armor sitting around in the desert sleeping, those men and women don't always have a target, or know who/what it is until it creeps up and punches them in the head. The ongoing war in Iraq/Afghanistan is half-manhunt and half-occupation. 40k doesn't have this problem, while I applaud your comparison and reasoning, the point is unfortunatly moot.

Tasty!? What kind of MRE's are you eating? :p
Seriously though they aren't BAD, but they aren't GOOD either! They are as you said, super high calorie, around 1500+ a piece if I recall.

Tonberry
24-04-2009, 18:56
It's not uncommon for high ranking imperial officials to take up Baneblades as mobile command bunkers (ala Yarrick or the guy from the 3rd Soul Drinker's book), I'm pretty sure they'd want to make themselves comfortable and would have the necessary influence to ensure that sufficient facilites were provided.

Emperor's Grace
24-04-2009, 19:15
I've always wondered if Space Marines ever wear casual clothes in public, or do they have to push shopping carts around the supermarket in full regalia?

Robes get mentioned in several books as casual clothing.

On Topic:

I'd still vote for a micro/fridge combo with a pantry above. It would take only as much space as a WC and would give quite a bit towards making the senior officer comfy.

As to the position of "chef", it could be informal (crew given) or it could be a kinder title than "extra body for when one of you dies". Also known as "Yarrick's butler".

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 19:19
It's not uncommon for high ranking imperial officials to take up Baneblades as mobile command bunkers (ala Yarrick or the guy from the 3rd Soul Drinker's book), I'm pretty sure they'd want to make themselves comfortable and would have the necessary influence to ensure that sufficient facilites were provided.

Influence doesn't mean much when the design won't allow for it, but I guess until we see some blueprints we'll just have to say: "maybe".

In those kinds of cases, generally their influence gets them about as far as extra padding for their chair, there just isn't room (or need) for much else.

Lothlanathorian
24-04-2009, 20:13
I am sure if an =][= wanted a microwave in his baneblade, it would happen. Same thing with Yarrick.

Also, don't forget that tanks in 40K are on a different scale than the infantry models, so they are bigger than they appear on tabletop.

As for LandRaiders not being an MBT, they used to operate at battalion strength as Tank Companies for the Imperial Army. They were used for Titan hunting.

And as for those of you trying to apply real world logic to the 40Kverse, I recommend that you become interest in the Warhammer 40,000 hobby and maybe read some of the background material :p j/k

Remember, kids, 40K is supposed to be out there and silly.

Eldartank
24-04-2009, 21:03

Baneblades are fully loaded! They have a fully-equipped kitchenette, a fold-out dining area, nice comfy fold-down beds, an entertainment center (complete with blu-ray dvd player, hi-fi stereo, nintendo game system, etc), and even a little enclosed bathroom/shower so the crew can take regular hot showers and drop their load in privacy.

Cool_Mint
24-04-2009, 21:25
Also, don't forget that tanks in 40K are on a different scale than the infantry models, so they are bigger than they appear on tabletop.

Which is another way of saying the models are too damn small!
Heroic scale Space Marines + shrunk in the wash tanks =

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 21:26
Baneblades are fully loaded! They have a fully-equipped kitchenette, a fold-out dining area, nice comfy fold-down beds, an entertainment center (complete with blu-ray dvd player, hi-fi stereo, nintendo game system, etc), and even a little enclosed bathroom/shower so the crew can take regular hot showers and drop their load in privacy.

Complete with computers and servitors to drive, aim and fire weapons!

The crew are just there for killpoints!

Edit: hey cool_mint; why isn't it red so it goes fasta!?

Brother Siccarius
24-04-2009, 21:48
Yeah, similar to what Yarick Zan said above, I think alot of you are vastly overestimating the amount of extra space inside any tank. Ammo storage alone would take up most of the room, not to mention the armor and engines powerful enough to move such a monstrosity. Then add in all the electronics necessary to move this beast, get visibility, and fire said weapons. Keep in mind also, that tanks don't drop their Cannon's spent shell casings like rifles do.

Also, I wouldn't dream of comparing different 40k vehicles to eachother. Its obvious the designers didn't scale them to eachother. But if we did want to compare a Land Raider to a Baneblade.

Baneblade is approx 2x the size you said? I haven't looked at them side by side to be honest, but we will assume that is correct.

A Baneblade has a crew of what? 10+?
A Landraider has a crew of 2-5 (2 drivers, maybe up to 3 support personel/hatch gunners? I personally think the gunning would all be tied into the co-pilot, but at MOST we will say 5 people to include a 'crew chief' in the back)
A Landraider has maybe 4 weapons tops?
A Baneblade has what? Triple that?

This leads us to ammunition; a troop transport would NEVER carry as much extra ammo as a main battle tank, there is just no need to. Due to the way the Astartes fight, it is my opinion that, the Landraider might be their 'super heavy tank' but it is designed more for heavy armor/light anti-infantry, shock deployment, instead of prolonged anti-armor battles like a Baneblade. The Astartes just don't fight that way. Hence why most of the LR's weapons are flamers and heavy bolters. Also, the lack of a cannon, means much more room, remember this is a tanks main weapon, the rest are just for defensive/Anti-Infantry fire.

With all of the above, its easy to see where the space went, and how a Land Raider can carry extra troops. Also, anyone whos ever spent time in any kind of troop transport vehicle, whether it be flying, amphibious or tracked; will know that they don't exactly have room to get up and walk around, its kind of like a drop pod. Packed in there like sardines until its time to get up and get out!

The Land Raider is both MBT and APC. It's a dual purpose tank.

Even if a long stretch of the middle, bottom tier of the tank is used by the engine and Demolisher Cannon. Even if the bottom tier, sides of the baneblade are used for gunners and ammunition (There's enough room in just that area to house both and still have enough ammo to fill a troop carrier). Even if a good portion of the top tier and turret are used to house the main battle cannon, gunner positions, loaders and driver....
It's freaking two stories tall not including the turret, it has very few entry points, it's a massive structure in it's own right, and there has to be space to move around in there just for those gunners, drivers, commanders, techpriests, and loaders to be able to get to their freaking stations! There's very few access points on the tank itself, so to be able to get to the areas that need to be gotten to, there's a minimum amount of room required.

It's not a scaled up modern day tank, even though it may bear a slight resemblance. In a modern tank, it's possible to sqeeze in there, but when you're trying to squeeze down a hallway for several yards just to get to spare ammunition it'd be ridiculous. There'd be a required amount of space for the crews just to be able to access their stations, ammunition, and equipment with any degree of timeliness and speed. You just can't do that when you're sucking in your gut just to get around a humongous structure like a baneblade.

RichBlake
24-04-2009, 21:56
The Baneblade has quite a large crew, I wouldn't be surprised if there is equipment and supplies to cook with inside the tank, though they are probably portable stuff to be set up outside the tank rather then used while the tank is in action.

The way I see it is like when the tank is stopped or whatever the Chef makes meals for the crew.

Though I am tempted to make a baneblade with a stove chimney.

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 21:58
Your right, but still, the whole topic is moot unless we see some kind of blueprint. That or someone figures out the exact size of the rounds and how many are taken :P

For the Land Raider, its a tank as far as saying it is a heavily armored fighting vehicle, my point was that it has no cannon/artillery/AA, etc; which is what a battle tank is, for all intents and purposes. You could say a Rhino is also a tank, but I wouldn't send it to fight a titan. Then again in the table top universe, where all the shadowswords fail, that one lucky bolt just might!

I was just making observations and educated guesses, there is a reason that modern battle tanks are cramped. I assume that the IG, like real militaries, does not waste space in the name of comfort, if there is extra space, they are puttin somethin in it!

Even if it is a microwave! ;)

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 22:02
Your right, but still, the whole topic is moot unless we see some kind of blueprint. That or someone figures out the exact size of the rounds and how many are taken :P

For the Land Raider, its a tank as far as saying it is a heavily armored fighting vehicle, my point was that it has no cannon/artillery/AA, etc; which is what a battle tank is, for all intents and purposes. You could say a Rhino is also a tank, but I wouldn't send it to fight a titan. Then again in the table top universe, where all the shadowswords fail, that one lucky bolt just might!

I was just making observations and educated guesses, there is a reason that modern battle tanks are cramped. I assume that the IG, like real militaries, does not waste space in the name of comfort, if there is extra space, they are puttin somethin in it!

Even if it is a microwave! ;)

Well if you think about some of the nasty mucky wars the the IG gets into I don't think comfort is really part of their dictionary really.

RichBlake
24-04-2009, 22:05
Well if you think about some of the nasty mucky wars the the IG gets into I don't think comfort is really part of their dictionary really.

Of course "Comfort" is in the Imperial Guard Dictionary! It's next to "Commissar" and "Cowardice".

Brother Siccarius
24-04-2009, 22:47

You're telling me there wouldn't be a few tank commanders that carry non-standard kit with them?

Enkidu
24-04-2009, 23:02
You're telling me there wouldn't be a few tank commanders that carry non-standard kit with them?

Not any live ones... ;)

A good military man strips everything down so its as light and little clutter as possible. Remember, you might have a baneblade, but eventually your gonna have to carry your stuff around.

parus_ater
24-04-2009, 23:32
A good military man keeps all the crap given to him by division because if it goes missing he has to replace it, so you carry the useless crap that you can't stow in your footlocker or barrack bag and bring all the non-regulation stuff as well.

Now, if it's cooking gear then you will bring a compact means to cook - food can be found onsite or caught - or if the unit is mechanised, a larger means such as a compact cooking range and tables. In WWII the Americans had this reduced to the size of two crates to cook for up to 20 men and this could be strapped to the tank as stowage. A common sight was to see two small wall tents, the stowage crates and even a milk churn on the back

I'm sure in the 40th millenium the cooker might be smaller.

Lord Cook
24-04-2009, 23:49

Speaking as someone who is non-military but has lived out in the wilderness for weeks at a time; if you're hungry enough you eat whatever's bloody well put in front of you, and damn the taste. ;)

your forgetting that war in 40k is nothing compared to whats going on in the 'western desert'. 40k is the all out persecution of war on a massive scale; a good term for it is Total War (forget where I heard that but it works)

Total war is where every element of society, every person and every industry, is committed to the war effort. Every hour of work in some way contributes to the war effort, and every resource is in some way committed to it. No Western nation has ever reached 'Total War'. You could argue that Germany and the Soviet Union came close in the last few years of the Second World War, but even then it's still a largely hypothetical and impossible state of existence. The main point here is that nowhere in any of the 40k background I have ever read would indicate that the Imperium is anywhere near such a state. Military recruitment compared to population is, with a few exceptions such as Krieg, incredibly low. I suppose you could include Forge Worlds, but again they're not representative of the majority.

Secondly, neither have I ever seen anything that would indicate that day-to-day warfare in the 40k universe is in any significant way different from IAMNOTHERE's comparison to the North Africa campaign. Sure the scale is different on a planetary scale, and individual battles are obviously fought differently, but the idea that tank crews would be able to launch neat little missions where they go out on a mission and then 'return to base' or whatever seems... ridiculous?

Lord Merlin
25-04-2009, 00:47
I modeled a lobster boiling in one of the hatches of my baneblade, like they filled up a pot and lay a butane stove under it or something along those lines.

madd0ct0r
25-04-2009, 00:49
Who needs a kettle when you've a laspistol?

Strap a few extra lasgun magazines to the roof where they'll charge up on daylight and engine heat. bingo.

Enkidu
25-04-2009, 02:21
A good military man keeps all the crap given to him by division because if it goes missing he has to replace it, so you carry the useless crap that you can't stow in your footlocker or barrack bag and bring all the non-regulation stuff as well.

Not on mission, or patrol. Even in a protracted campaign there would have to be some kind of field HQ/maintenance bays; somewhere that they would stash the extra stuff.

Speaking as someone who is non-military but has lived out in the wilderness for weeks at a time; if you're hungry enough you eat whatever's bloody well put in front of you, and damn the taste. ;)

Total war is where every element of society, every person and every industry, is committed to the war effort. Every hour of work in some way contributes to the war effort, and every resource is in some way committed to it. No Western nation has ever reached 'Total War'. You could argue that Germany and the Soviet Union came close in the last few years of the Second World War, but even then it's still a largely hypothetical and impossible state of existence. The main point here is that nowhere in any of the 40k background I have ever read would indicate that the Imperium is anywhere near such a state. Military recruitment compared to population is, with a few exceptions such as Krieg, incredibly low. I suppose you could include Forge Worlds, but again they're not representative of the majority.

Secondly, neither have I ever seen anything that would indicate that day-to-day warfare in the 40k universe is in any significant way different from IAMNOTHERE's comparison to the North Africa campaign. Sure the scale is different on a planetary scale, and individual battles are obviously fought differently, but the idea that tank crews would be able to launch neat little missions where they go out on a mission and then 'return to base' or whatever seems... ridiculous?

Very well put! I will grant you that isn't exactly what I meant, but you made a few good points. I was trying to get at the whole 'persecution of the enemy without regards to ... well anything else'.

There was no comparison to a campaign, what was said was:

Not a chance of crews being asleep while crewing anything/being on post or watch/etc during any kind of operations phase, if they were I can guarantee you that heads would roll.

Agreed (though not all of them taste that great!)

I would hope this is true!

Regardless... fun as this is, we are losing sight of whats really important... Do Baneblades have kitchens!?

edit: Apparently they have lobster pots! Case closed!

Brother Siccarius
25-04-2009, 05:30
Not a chance of crews being asleep while crewing anything/being on post or watch/etc during any kind of operations phase, if they were I can guarantee you that heads would roll.

Yes....:)of coarse....:p*snigger*.....Hahahahah!

And people on guard duty never tell jokes or play inane games while on duty.

Omniassiah
25-04-2009, 05:35

Its actually quite common in the modern military and I would guess in the IG armored regiments as well. The phrase "Death before Dismount" is a very practical expression from what I have seen. I've known several tank crews to rotate sleeping in their tanks while on guard duty with one or 2 awake and the others asleep.

My guess is that most if not all SH tank crews would first of all be fairly indoctrinated in the fact that their tanks are the safest place to be in a warzone(not entirely incorrect) and most of them would have to be pried out of the tanks in most cases. That being said someone being nominated as the "Tank Chef/cook" to "enhance" the standard rations a bit would by my guess be fairly common place.

And for the space in a baneblade my guess is that even with as much stuff in it you would still be quite able to move around in it and that it would share more in common with the old Mk1s then a modern tank.

techman
25-04-2009, 05:46
I actually see them as having a kitchen....know not your top kitchen to make grade A steak in...but a kitchen nontheless. Most Baneblades are actually used as a command vehicle for the commander and have nicer interiors and stuff...just my viewpoint

IAMNOTHERE
25-04-2009, 09:46
Of course they have lobster pots, it's in the standard equipment labelled as:

Vessel, boiling, lobster, occassional. 98788779 8787897897 8798789789

Rather than the much more versatile but often substituted:

Vessel, boiling, catachan devil, occassional. 98788779 8787897897 8798789788

A simple mistake, apologies accepted ;)

A tank isn't just sent out on specific missions though, it's used for extended patrols (massive fuel tank), to dominate the ground (prevent enemy getting ideas), and to intimidate local populations (what teh f*kc do we to hurt that!).

Often they are resupplied in the field by "rolling replen", think of it as a series of drive throughs but without the free toy:

Off load litter
Ammo
Water
Food
Mail/Luxury items like soap
New copy of the Armoured crewmans uplifting primer - the new version is quite popular due to the absorbent pages.
Fuel

And away they go back out into the warzone.

25-04-2009, 11:08
In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium there is tea and biscuits.

Enkidu
25-04-2009, 16:02
Yes....:)of coarse....:p*snigger*.....Hahahahah!

And people on guard duty never tell jokes or play inane games while on duty.

True, I was meaning a little more of gaffing off when they shouldn't be, sure people will sleep in their trucks when they aren't needed, but saying the whole crew is supposed to be on a patrol and pulls into a corner for 3 hours of rest instead? I guess it could happen. It depends on how disciplined your troops are. Jessica Lynch anyone?

Everyone does what they got to to keep going, especially in stressful times, but I am only 'guessing' that with the advent of Commissars, this would be atleast close to a minimum. Don't forget that Commissars aren't the only discipline masters, pretty sure when the guards OIC or CO wanders over and sees them sleeping on the job he's gonna knock their heads in himself.
Troop welfare is never priority #1, even more in the bloody machine that is 40k.

Do these things happen? Yeah, its like saying that rape and murder doesn't happen, but its heavily policed, and usually heavily punished. (no comparisons of crime -> prevention please, it was just a bad example! I'm working on little sleep here!)

Lord Cook
25-04-2009, 16:50
New copy of the Armoured crewmans uplifting primer - the new version is quite popular due to the absorbent pages.

Lol. I wonder how many people will get that straight away...

Frep
25-04-2009, 18:49
I am very much reminded of blackadder goes forth suddenly.

Enkidu
25-04-2009, 20:34
I am very much reminded of blackadder goes forth suddenly.

I must watch this!

Never heard of it, just read the wiki, now I think I know where Caphias Cain came from...

WhiteKnight
25-04-2009, 20:38
They probably at least have a crock pot in there making some mini wienies or some popsicles in there.

Cultist of Sooty
25-04-2009, 21:18
Never heard of it, just read the wiki, now I think I know where Caphias Cain came from...
There's a certain amount of Blackadder in Ciaphas Cain and even more of Baldrick in Jurgen. But Cain borrows a lot more from George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman than he does from Blackadder. I do recommend the Flashman books very highly indeed.

Do watch Blackadder, too, though. It's jolly good, too. The RPG'ing I've done in the Warhammer settings was probably inspired by Blackadder more than by anything else.

Lothlanathorian
25-04-2009, 21:32
True, I was meaning a little more of gaffing off when they shouldn't be, sure people will sleep in their trucks when they aren't needed, but saying the whole crew is supposed to be on a patrol and pulls into a corner for 3 hours of rest instead? I guess it could happen. It depends on how disciplined your troops are. Jessica Lynch anyone?

Who says they are pulling over for three hours? They could be on an extended patrol so two of them nap while they aren't needed. Being military, I am sure they can wake up and be ready to go instantly (been there, I know you can wake up and be fully awake and ready to go in an instant).

Or maybe the tank is just sitting somewhere as more of a guard sort of role, then they can sleep in shifts and never have to get out of the tank.

And, according to Imperial..er, um, American Propag..er, um, News, Jessica Lynch was a hero.

But, as was pointed out previously, oft times a Baneblade is used as a command vehicle. I think it would be more akin to a mobile command outpost with giant guns attached to it than anything. At worst, it is cramped inside like an old submarine, but it could have room for the command personal to sleep and cook food, even if it isn't the extensive comforts of home (which is now a tank lol).

Enkidu
25-04-2009, 22:22
Who says they are pulling over for three hours? They could be on an extended patrol so two of them nap while they aren't needed. Being military, I am sure they can wake up and be ready to go instantly (been there, I know you can wake up and be fully awake and ready to go in an instant).

Or maybe the tank is just sitting somewhere as more of a guard sort of role, then they can sleep in shifts and never have to get out of the tank.

And, according to Imperial..er, um, American Propag..er, um, News, Jessica Lynch was a hero.

But, as was pointed out previously, oft times a Baneblade is used as a command vehicle. I think it would be more akin to a mobile command outpost with giant guns attached to it than anything. At worst, it is cramped inside like an old submarine, but it could have room for the command personal to sleep and cook food, even if it isn't the extensive comforts of home (which is now a tank lol).

Your likely correct, a command vehicle I'm sure would have alot more creature comforts. Why fight when you've got people to fight for you!?

I dunno, I've never been on any patrols that we could nap on... <shrug> anythings possible though!

As for propeganda, it was just that, even she refuted the claim in front of a congressional commitee, saying she never fought back because her, and the rest of her units weapons jammed immediatly, and claimed she was never treated anything but humanely at the hospital she was kept at. I guess if getting captured because you and your unit f^%*ed up royally makes you a hero... well we'll just stop there shall we? :D
Take a look at some Vietnam POW vets and what they endured, those are real heros!
But lets stop there, I didn't really mean to bring RL politics and debates into the 40k-verse. Especially on a multi-national board where things are definatly scewed by media reports!

There's a certain amount of Blackadder in Ciaphas Cain and even more of Baldrick in Jurgen. But Cain borrows a lot more from George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman than he does from Blackadder. I do recommend the Flashman books very highly indeed.

Do watch Blackadder, too, though. It's jolly good, too. The RPG'ing I've done in the Warhammer settings was probably inspired by Blackadder more than by anything else.

I really wish I still got BBC, they have the best shows... Thats why we've got the internet!
I never really spent any time with Flashman, didn't appeal to me at the time I guess. I was alot more into X-men and the like as a kid... ok and still :D

Melchiah
25-04-2009, 22:27
I think it it would have some sort of field/camping gearing and a guy whom would be the "Cookie." I would also imainge some sort of "ice box" and pantry with dry goods and ration packs.

Lothlanathorian
26-04-2009, 07:28
Your likely correct, a command vehicle I'm sure would have alot more creature comforts. Why fight when you've got people to fight for you!?

I dunno, I've never been on any patrols that we could nap on... <shrug> anythings possible though!

As for propeganda, it was just that, even she refuted the claim in front of a congressional commitee, saying she never fought back because her, and the rest of her units weapons jammed immediatly, and claimed she was never treated anything but humanely at the hospital she was kept at. I guess if getting captured because you and your unit f^%*ed up royally makes you a hero... well we'll just stop there shall we? :D
Take a look at some Vietnam POW vets and what they endured, those are real heros!
But lets stop there, I didn't really mean to bring RL politics and debates into the 40k-verse. Especially on a multi-national board where things are definatly scewed by media reports!

I really wish I still got BBC, they have the best shows... Thats why we've got the internet!
I never really spent any time with Flashman, didn't appeal to me at the time I guess. I was alot more into X-men and the like as a kid... ok and still :D

Yeah, I looked up a lot of stuff on her before I posted any kind of comment lol (that's right, I did research BEFORE posting something on the internet!!) and I respect her more for standing up for the truth than just riding the lie for all it could get her. She may not be a 'war hero' but she sure as sh!+ isn't a coward for telling everyone the gov't made it all up. But again, enough RL politics.

And as far as the BBC goes, why in the name of all that is Holy and Right do the Brits get all the good shows? Why oh why is American humor so pale in comparison? Damn you there across the pond, damn you and your funny.:p

But, as far as long patrols go, remember, this is 40K, things are bigger, longer and much cooler than anything you'll ever do :p

The pestilent 1
26-04-2009, 13:32
It's called the Engine block.
They got hot.

Seriously, my dad used to cook egg and Bacon on his.
(Was a Tank Driver, I should note)

TheFloatingHead
26-04-2009, 14:20
Wait...wha.ww..wha..what? The coolest tank the Guard has available has a kitchen on it? That is fantastic! All I'd need is two hot plates/burners, a cutting board and a bucket of water/small sink and I could whip up some sterling meals for the Company Commander! You have to figure that if the Commander can acquire a Baneblade as a mobile command then he'd have to have access to some decent steaks and some greens.:p
For all we know Stormlords have giant plasma screen tvs in the ceilings of their transport holds. That way the thirty or forty some odd Guardsmen can have Halo tournaments before they charge out and fight!

Enkidu
26-04-2009, 17:52
I do declare, this topic is making me hungry! Besides FloatingHead they gotta get pumped up before running out into combat! Or maybe they play tournaments with other squads and whoever looses is the next one out! :D

Yeah, I looked up a lot of stuff on her before I posted any kind of comment lol (that's right, I did research BEFORE posting something on the internet!!) and I respect her more for standing up for the truth than just riding the lie for all it could get her. She may not be a 'war hero' but she sure as sh!+ isn't a coward for telling everyone the gov't made it all up. But again, enough RL politics.

And as far as the BBC goes, why in the name of all that is Holy and Right do the Brits get all the good shows? Why oh why is American humor so pale in comparison? Damn you there across the pond, damn you and your funny.:p

But, as far as long patrols go, remember, this is 40K, things are bigger, longer and much cooler than anything you'll ever do :p

Agreed! My old cable used to get it, and when I had satellite; but now I'm missing all their crazy humor!
That and Top Gear, awesome show, just awesome!