PDA

View Full Version : Rohan!

Faeslayer
24-04-2009, 16:31
Looks like I've finished my Elf army a bit earlier than expected. So... Speak to me of Rohan!

I vastly prefer plastics. How well can I do with this army with most/all plastic troops?

Do you think they'd be complimented by Ents, tactically?

I want to have all cav, or at least mostly cav. Is this suicide?

Lastly, where is the horn that was blowing?

brimmstorm
24-04-2009, 17:12
Well I have not played a game with my Rohan army so I would love to here what other think about the Horse Lords!

From what I've read in the rulebook and online you'll want some Infantry since they can caputre objectives better than Cav.

My 1k army uses 3 units of 6 companies of Cav, and 6 companies of Warriors.

Things I like the most about Rohan is the Legendary formation of Elfhelm. I think being able to pass through terrain is a huge assest.

I think Banners for all your Cav units are a must so you don't stall your charges.

In my 2k list I plan on using Treebeard and 2 Ents for some monster action but I think even at 1k they have their place in Rohan list and fit the theme nicely.

unheilig
26-04-2009, 17:36
finished?

so.. you have 6k of elves painted?

Faeslayer
26-04-2009, 17:42
finished?

so.. you have 6k of elves painted?

6K?!

Fine, fine.

IllidanStormrage
04-05-2009, 02:17
go all cav!!!!!

just charge them, that's all you need to do

if you have ents they will back them up, get theoden he has epic charge, and can preform a epic move each turn!

04-05-2009, 02:45
Well, I find them quite fun to play. I currently have them and a Gondor force.

Their maneuverability is quite dynamic. And you can get by with plastics for almost everything, excepting the Royal Guard and maybe Sons of Eorl. For the latter, I'm using Royal Guard models with swords (the models give you the option of putting either spears or swords in their hands) and painting their cloaks white and crests red to differentiate from the green and white of the Royal Guard.

I run 3-4 big formations in the middle. ("Big" depending on point level of the game 4 companies >1500, 6 companies 2000+), with Outriders on each flank.

I choose not to run any Oathsworn, but use Gondorian foot (1-2 formations of Warriors and 1 of Rangers).

I've used an Ent a couple of times to really good effect but plan to use him only in thematically appropriate scenarios in the future. I rather have more infantry.

I also have Radagast and Gandalf the Grey models I have not used yet. Still focusing on the basics.

With double-time you can get around flanks and even into the rear of enemy giving them tough choices.

I think they make for a unique, dynamic playstyle. But I would not go all-cav as you need infantry to hold objectives.

All in all, a blast to play.

Jorgen_CAB
04-05-2009, 06:00
If I would do a pure Rohan army I would do both Cavalry and Infantry, enough cavalry so I had a choice to go all cavalry in a certain battle if I wanted to.
Rohan armies were feudal and contained both Infantry and Cavalry, though the cavalry saw most of the battles because the infantry were mainly used to garrison important objectives and only used in the most dire of times on the battlefield. Their infantry were ill trained and motivated but important never the less. Also, horsemen could dismount and fight on foot when needed, so the infantry could symbolize that as well in certain scenarios.
When fighting in a war armies of Rohan relied on the mobility of their cavalry and to avoid big battles, and instead attack them in pieces. Therefore Rohan should avoid big pitched battles without infantry support, because it would be difficult for them.

If you play scenarios you should try and play some ambush scenarios with all cavalry armies, since I think that is the most believable way that a Rohan army would fight someone like Isengard or Mordor on the field.

If you play regular pitched battles I'm pretty sure you need infantry to hold the enemy in place for your cavalry to be effective, so bulk up an two or three formations of infantry to do just that.

Take an Ent or two just for fun... they might not be totally thematic all the time, but not totally unsuited either in my opinion. Both Gondor and Elves could be their allies in need, mainly Gondor. I don't think that Dwarves would aid them any time soon though, except for Gimli that is. :)

Billpete002
07-05-2009, 16:31
EPIC
Theoden King of Rohan
Eorl the Young

LEGENDARY
Elfhelm's Riders x6
Erkenbrand's Riders x6
The King's Guard x6
Theodred's Knights x6

COMMON
Outriders Eored x6

TOTAL: 1870

still some point for some infantry or allies or a fortune.

Also that's all plastic except a few characters and is a pretty cheap army considering.

moar barmu
12-05-2009, 00:33
Anyone want to create a summary of the unit/ formation choices and the epic hero choices for this faction, because a basic grasp of this faction's formations and heroes would realyl help me out sicne I do not have the book yet.

HRM
07-06-2009, 14:36
This is the army that I plan to collect, mostly due to enjoying the character of Theoden in the films - I also kinda dig their somewhat Klingon-esque "death in battle!" philosophy (or at least that's how I see them).

I plan to go mostly cavalry, I think, because it seems to suit them best, but I don't think all-cavalry is very flexible. One thing I believe I will leave out, though, is Oathsworn Bowmen; I plan to let my Riders of Rohan and my Outriders handle the archery - big blocks of archers don't seem to suit them, thematically.

sheck2
09-06-2009, 19:51
For outriders and Sons of Eorl...buy plastic riders.

For outriders - Use the bowmen (2 in set) or even a spearmen cut down to pole with greenstuff mace head...and cut of/trim swords plus hilts, trim down helmat tops for smooth look, trim off shield connection nub (do not use with outriders) and trim down the bedrolls...paint in browns and dark reds versus greens of normal riders. And, if so desired, add green stuff for longer cloaks.

for sons of eorl - use the swords/axemen (2 in set) - trim off the bows and trim down the bedrolls. Paint differently than normal riders - I am using reds and blues. Add greenstuff to horse as chainmail armor (super easy - its two triangle pieces with poking for chainmail and two square pieces in back with poking).

You are left with two spearmen...make one into a banner carrier for sons with above techique. And other can have its spear trimmed to be a small pole turned into a mace/axe with greenstuff...the sons of eorl.

So for two boxes at $54 you get 4-6 outriders and 6-8 sons of eorl versus $176! Each metal outrider is $20 each (includes foot model) and each metal son of eorl is $12 each.

fracas
09-06-2009, 20:54
then use sons of eorl models for captains if you want

HRM
10-06-2009, 00:06
For outriders and Sons of Eorl...buy plastic riders.

For outriders - Use the bowmen (2 in set) or even a spearmen cut down to pole with greenstuff mace head...and cut of/trim swords plus hilts, trim down helmat tops for smooth look, trim off shield connection nub (do not use with outriders) and trim down the bedrolls...paint in browns and dark reds versus greens of normal riders. And, if so desired, add green stuff for longer cloaks.

for sons of eorl - use the swords/axemen (2 in set) - trim off the bows and trim down the bedrolls. Paint differently than normal riders - I am using reds and blues. Add greenstuff to horse as chainmail armor (super easy - its two triangle pieces with poking for chainmail and two square pieces in back with poking).

You are left with two spearmen...make one into a banner carrier for sons with above techique. And other can have its spear trimmed to be a small pole turned into a mace/axe with greenstuff...the sons of eorl.

So for two boxes at $54 you get 4-6 outriders and 6-8 sons of eorl versus $176! Each metal outrider is $20 each (includes foot model) and each metal son of eorl is $12 each.

Trouble is... That's a lotta converting for a lazy ********** like me. :D I'll have to give it a shot, though.

sheck2
10-06-2009, 11:01
Trouble is... That's a lotta converting for a lazy ********** like me. :D I'll have to give it a shot, though.

:) Then two easier methods...

a. (easier) No greenstuff - just trimming.

b. (easiest) No mods...Paint everything different and ensure SoE are hand weapons only and outriders are only bows.

OllieC23
17-06-2009, 09:23
EPIC
Theoden King of Rohan
Eorl the Young

LEGENDARY
Elfhelm's Riders x6
Erkenbrand's Riders x6
The King's Guard x6
Theodred's Knights x6

COMMON
Outriders Eored x6

TOTAL: 1870

still some point for some infantry or allies or a fortune.

Also that's all plastic except a few characters and is a pretty cheap army considering.

Im new to this WOTR stuff having only played 3 games but dont you have to have at least equal numbers of common to legendary formations?? Your list looks very nice but if im right it is illegal.:(
ollie

OllieC23
17-06-2009, 09:25
On a different note ive had some success with Erkenbrands riders- immune to terror is great against elves.

Has anyone tried elfhelm? His move 12 and pathfinders master seem like a great way to ambush flanks/rears of enemy formations and take out war machines.

ismar
17-06-2009, 12:10
The ratio is for common to rare formations. You can have as many legendary as you like, but only 1 of each.

Don