PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves help needed

bossfearless
24-04-2009, 21:21
Okay, I'm thinking of making the jump from 40k to Fantasy. I have my eyes on the Dark elves for thematic and artistic purposes, and because it seems like they would have relatively lower numbers of useless filler troops (I hate that aspect of the game...I want my guys to be able to fight well).

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's good. So, if any DE players out there can give me a hand with army composition I'd really appreciate it.

What I want to include, if viable:

-A maximum number of female models, going for an "Orgy of the damned, with spears" theme
-Relatively low model count, unless that would make the army useless
-As few "throw away" models as possible
-Models that kick ass to paint and convert

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to help a brother out.

LKHERO
24-04-2009, 21:26
Unfortunately, many of the girl models suck (Hags and Witch Elves).

The good ones are all Male.. save for Crone Helleborne.

Dreadlords are good. Masters are good. Black Dragon is good. Magic heavy Supreme Sorceress on Dark Pegasus is good. Shades are good. Assassins are good. Dark Riders are good. Hydras are good. Cold One Knights are good. Black Guard are good. Pendant of Kaeleth is good. Ring of Hotek is good. Standard of Hag Graef is good.

There's very little in the Dark Elves book that isn't good. The only thing that sucks is that the female models are the ones that aren't so good in play.

ICEMANQ
24-04-2009, 21:50
Good list here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194761). Always remember to take dark riders.

Roguebaron
24-04-2009, 21:59
I'd look at some of the avatars of war mini's as well, he does a fine dark elf sorceress and the queen is OK with some head work. There is also a new dark elf dreadlord female in the classics section on the gw website (no idea why there and not new releases). Also a female beastmaster in the last line which isn't to bad to use for custom work. I hate harpy mini's and have converted some of the old demonettes to have wings, rumour has it new plastics may be on the way in the next year, so if you invest here, don't buy more than the minimum 5. Have fun, dark elves are really beginning to get noticed again thanks to the new army book after such a long drought.

sroblin
25-04-2009, 15:58
Well, strictly speaking, the available female models come in:
1) The Spearmen boxed sets, 1/4 of the models are female, though not conspicuously.
2) Witch Elves and Hags. Don't listen to the naysayers; they aren't brilliant, but they are scary if they get the charge, and these are the go-to-troops if you want a more feminine Dark Elf army.
The Cauldron of Blood further extends that theme.
3) I believe they are relasing a female master model.
4) The old beastmasters had one female and one male I believe. I rather dislike the new beastmasters, I must admit.
5) Sorceresses of course
6) Harpies, if you don't mind the scaly chests. Some people don't like the models.
7) Cold One Chariot had a female rider too, I believe

That said, technically any of the regiments could have female troops included, so if you found miniatures from an alternate miniature line of roughly the appropriate appearance (and there are plenty, many of good quality), than you could use some of those. Conversion oppertunities abound to as well, especially if you cannibalized some Witch Elf models.

Some recomendations in general for general army composition for cool-looking models:
Black Guard and Shades have awesome models, also happen to be some of the best units in the game. All metal though, so expensive.
I personally like the Spearmen/Crossbowmen plastics, and they are also excellent troops so I would recommend at least one box if not two.
The Corsair models (both 6th edition metals and 7th edition plastics) are cool looking, but unfortunately their rules are uninspiring.
Cold One Riders from both editions look good, the new plastic boxed set is affordable (now $22 instead of $45 in the US), looks great and the mounts look much more fiersome! And they are effective.
The new Hydra is awesome looking, though I did prefer the old beastmasters. Overpowered for the points too.

kardar233
25-04-2009, 18:25
Don't forget the Sorceresses, some of those look awesome:

This one (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300235&prodId=prod1400049&rootCatGameStyle=wh)

And this one. (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300235&prodId=prod1490003&rootCatGameStyle=wh)

bossfearless
27-04-2009, 00:35
Yeah, I plan on outsourcing a lot of models and doing some conversions since one of the goals was to maximize the total nudity in my army (immature, I know, but still ridiculously fun). So some Reaper and Avatars and other such things will make it in with some conversions.

Now that I have a good idea of model types, can anyone throw out a potential army list? I think that's where I'm stuck at.

sroblin
27-04-2009, 02:17
Well, you should specify what kind of units or general army theme you want to have, before we can give you more specific suggestions.

Spear elves? Black guard? Shades? Are you interested in some of the male-only model unis, because you can find some non-GW minis for them or are ready to convert the existing ones? Do you want defensive shooting-heavy army, a fast melee one? Cavalry?

The only models that are particularly scandalous in the range are the Witch Elves, harpies, and sorceresses. You can make an army mostly of witch elves and harpies pretty easily though not inexpensively (especially if you take the Hellebron special character), but I personally would be tempted to take some of the other units and convert them or find non-GW equivelents. So specify what you want, then we can suggest lists.

kardar233
27-04-2009, 02:48
Also, if you happen to take a Master/Dreadlord wearing armour of some sort you could try this (http://www.wyrd-games.net/shop/product.php?productid=16133&cat=0&bestseller=Y). It isn't official GW stuff so probably won't work in tournaments, but it's an awesome model nonetheless.

Lordmonkey
02-05-2009, 11:23
Unfortunately, many of the girl models suck

:eek: Must... resist... innuendo...

You could make a Witch Elf Army with multiple cauldrons for ward saves - not sure how well this would perform though...

zeekill
02-05-2009, 22:17
Magic heavy Supreme Sorceress on Dark Pegasus is good.

But Still Vulnerable, especially to dragons. Dragons dont need LoS to fly over and use a breath weapon on you, and can flush you out of cover and into the open so be careful of those.

W0lf
02-05-2009, 22:36
Try Pendant.

Its the answer to all DE troubles.