PDA

View Full Version : How you got into Warhammer

101st Vostroyan
25-04-2009, 01:30
Here you can all put the story behind how you got into the hobby and the first thing that attracted you or one of the things you liked.

I was into model airplanes and boats since I was a young kid. One day, I stumbled upon a Games Workshop and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I saw the models that looked so foreign to me and was instantly hooked. The Imperial guard and Tyranids were immediately the coolest thing I had ever seen. I then bought some stuff a few weeks later and picked up some marines...

Vaecosius
25-04-2009, 01:52
Well, I had known about Warhammer 40k since my youth in the late 90s, when my brother bought some Blood Angels Marines and many, many White Dwarfs. I didn't start it myself until last year, when a friend started the hobby, and I had grown tired of Magic.

I now greatly prefer Warhammer over Magic, in part because money doesn't play as big a part in winning. I mean, you don't have to spend hundreds on booster boxes to possibly get the better cards. Yes, you may spend more, but at least with Warhammer you know what you're getting, you can build and paint them how you like, and the army you make will [more or less] be valid forever.

Imperius
25-04-2009, 01:57
Well I got into high school (for Canada thats Gr.8) and there was a games club. I joined the club and thought it was pretty cool, though I was fairly overwhelmed by how many rules there were.

hawo0313
25-04-2009, 02:00
Well I walked into buy a magazine one day and saw a white dwarf (the eldar one) It had good cover art a lord of the rings battle guys with guns power swords high marshal helbrecht wrathlords painting tactica's farseers and the most appealing thing a dreadnought so first I bought it showed it to some friends at school turns out one of them played the game I was in luck and he told me about it and took me to a games workshop and i was hooked.

Francois
25-04-2009, 02:02
My friends and I used to play all kinds of role playing games. One day many years ago one of them brought out the Rogue Trader 40K rule book and a set of the old 'beakie' plastic marines. Most of them started playing from that day. I didn't get hooked until 'Slaves to Darkness:Realm of Chaos" came out. Ever since that time we have been Games Workshop customers and fans:)

Creeping Dementia
25-04-2009, 02:03
I was one of the kids that saw the cool looking, well painted knights and stuff in a display case in the local comic book store and started collecting warhammer fantasy. A couple years ago I got tired of the repetitive nature of advanced fantasy tactics and switched over to 40k.

So I was initially drawn in by the Hobby, got obsessed with the Game, then got balanced by both playing and painting.

Gutlord Grom
25-04-2009, 02:03
Probably just getting invited to the LGS by random chance. I saw the models, and thought it was pretty cool. But what really sold me was White Dwarf. This was back during the Eye of Terror Campaign, and I remember how awesome it was. The battle reports and background pretty much sold me on the game then and there,

Yautja
25-04-2009, 02:07
About 10 years ago I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years. He introduced me to 40k with a 700 point battle between his Space Marines and his Dark Eldar. I took the Dark Eldar and got trashed. After that I've been hooked.

NealSmith
25-04-2009, 02:24
May 2008 - Spring Fever Convention Raleigh NC: Played in a 40K Apocalypse game and was hooked from there.

Was a long time miniatures player (historical only...), board gamer, RPG player. Probably started board games/RPGs in about 1977 or so... :) Didn't get into miniatures, for real, until about 1986/87 or so.

cairodude12
25-04-2009, 02:38
In 5th grade my friend told me he wanted to show me something. We went up stairs and he showed me his tyrannid army and I thought tit was cool. Later that week, he invited me over and gave me 8 CSMs that he had gotten for christmas and had already built. I saw them and was instantly hooked. I had to get more. Of course that was difficult as I lived literally thousands of miles away from any store that sold Warhammer and there was no garentee that your order would get to you.

Raibaru
25-04-2009, 02:44
I used to go to Ocean City Maryland every year to go fishing with my father on the beach. We used to go to the same bait and tackle store for 3 or 4 years and one year we go to the ocean and it's gone.

In its place was some strange store called Games Workshop and they were giving out free copies of White Dwarf, free minis, and offered painting and assembly lessons.

And thus my addiction began.

Ertle
25-04-2009, 02:53
Back about 4 years ago my friends were talkin on the bus about the differences between the Reaper Blot thrower and the Repeater Bolt Thrower. Confused I asked what they were talking about when they said to go home and go on the GW site(the old one). Well I was hooked after that and now am still angry about the destruction of the old website.

dblaz3r
25-04-2009, 03:47
Way back when, about 20 years ago, I was into model planes and other army stuff. Met a kid who was into wargaming and started going to the local club. Few games of D&D, bit of Heroquest, Space Hulk, Space Crusade and then learned of Epic. Got the Space Marine 2nd Ed. and Adeptus Titanicus box sets and was away laughing. Saw people playing Rogue Trader and liked the bigger mini's and got the 2nd. Edition box set. The rest is history.

MrGiggles
25-04-2009, 04:02
I built a few models as a kid and couldn't paint worth beans, so I stopped about the time I discovered girls. I kept role playing though and reading and such.

Anyhow, a couple of decades later, two things happened, I tried out Dawn of War (and enjoyed it) and hired a trainer who played the tabletop. Well, some months later, Nic talked me into giving the game a go and I found some old Ork minis for sale when I was visiting Sault Ste Marie. I had a girlfriend at the time who liked to paint, so I hooked her up and settled into playing with little plastic men.

As it turns out, while I've gotten descent at the game, I really enjoy the painting end of things. I really thought it would be the other way round, but even I can't be right all the time. Now, I paint a lot and probably wouldn't play more than once in a blue moon if it wasn't for my buddy Sean who's just one of those really positive and enthusiastic sportsmen. Basically, he's fun to play with, so I play and get dragged to the occasional tourney, etc.

Things seem to work out. I enjoy painting and playing occasionally and I've come to enjoy interacting with the folks on here and on Dakka Dakka.

wilsonian
25-04-2009, 04:06
Well as a kid i use to see my cousins models (he was in his 20's back then)and one day ended up buying a 6 pack of plastic marines. That was back in 1993! Thinking about it I should have saved another weeks pocket money and got the 10 man plastic and metal squad as they were only £10 back then :D

Since then I quit the hobby back in 2000 as I was finding it boring (local store was moved a few times) thewn came back for a brief spell in 2003 before rejoining the fold in 2005 when I saw my cousin again. since then it's been a blast :)

Captain_Sicarius
25-04-2009, 04:29
I started without even knowing that I had. When I was really young I lived in England for three years. I walked into a Games Workshop, saw some space marines, got them because they looked cool, and now I'm addicted.

Obliterati
25-04-2009, 04:57
I've been building and painting model airplanes and tanks since forever, but I never really had any interest in miniature gaming.

Eventually I got tired of airbrushing Luftwaffe camoflauge patterns and started looking for something different. A friend of a friend suggested I look into some weird sounding nerd hobby featuring space orks and space demons and space bugs and space elves and dark space elves and space marines and dudes that looked like Terminator robots.

I thought it sounded goofy as hell, but the next time I was at the hobby store I took a quick detour and walked down their GW aisle. A few things caught my eye, I bought some Imperial Guard stuff, and that was all she wrote. 40k promptly consumed my entire existence.

roids0777
25-04-2009, 05:11
i accidentally saw the dow2 trailer and crapped my pants so i kept looking around and eventually found the books and the game and i love all detail and background to 40k its really cool

mattschuur
25-04-2009, 05:25
Well, mine is a bit of a downer. My brother had Hotchkin's disease, a form of lung cancer. Well, after one of his first chemo treatments we drove by a gamestore and he asked to stop. I did and i told him i'd pick him up something under $40, to cheer him up. He looked at the store's 40k section and nothing else. I ended up dropping $90 as i picked my brother up a squad of Tau Fire Warriors, myself a mob of Ork boyz and all the stuff to build them. After his next chemo therapy we picked up the rule book, codex's and another box of troops for each of us. Since then I've been hooked, although my brother has gotten out of it, damn WoW, but now i "possess" his models.;)

Matt schuur

Damocles8
25-04-2009, 06:59
Played Dawn of War when it first came out...enjoyed the crap out of it....walked into my LGS and got started from there......

ColdWind
25-04-2009, 08:44
Well some guy at a party gave me some for free and it was so much fun I went back for more, but then he wanted money for it and so I started giving up on other things (food, rent, a social life) to allow myself to afford the habit...err hobby!

Actually the truth is, I was into D&D in junior high (some time prior to the Clinton administration, but I'm not saying exactly when) and a friend and I went to a small convention being run by our LGS, and my friend won the door prize, which was the Adeptus Titanicus boxed set. On the ride home, he decided he didn't want it and gave it to me. The rest is history.

MajorWesJanson
25-04-2009, 09:46
Got into DoW, but wasn't all that interested in the TT game until I got bored one day and wanted to build a model. Ended up with a predator tank. Got a few more models to go with it. Now have probably 10K points of marines and an equal amount of other races combined.

Fay_Redd
25-04-2009, 09:51
Well, im probably the only one here with this, but.

I started Warhammer to "be cool" at school. *people of warseer die in shock*

you heard it, about half my year were warhammer players for a couple of years, we never made up a club or anything though.

Grazzy
25-04-2009, 10:09
Some kids at my primary school started buying space marines. No one knew how to play (we were about 10) but i got some tau to join in. I soon went to the store in my town and joined the club as early as possible (aged 12). Then I could play properly and even beat a few vets. I stopped going to the store when I was about 14 due to ''coolness'' issues, but am currently painting and stuff.

Pau1ie
25-04-2009, 11:15
Well, mine is a bit of a downer.

Matt -

I don't think that's a downer at all, it's very cool that it was something you did with your brother when he was sick.

As for me, I had a roommate right after college who was really into 40K, but I didn't really have any interest in it at the time. He moved away about ten years ago, but recently he moved back and got in touch with me, he finally talked me into trying 40K. At the same time another one of my old friends (actually all three of us worked together) has opened his own game store and 40K is his main product line, so we've been reconnecting with him, hanging out at the store and ordering stuff. I've bought the AoBR set, a Space Marine Battleforce, and my friend gave me a dozen Space Marines and a couple Bike Squads he didn't want to get me started - I'm working on getting them all painted...

Panzerkanzler
25-04-2009, 11:47
I played Epic way back when the stands were square. Then the rules changed (the same ed. where the stands became rectangular) and I didn't like it anymore. I couldn't play Epic (my mates liked the new ed. better) but I still loved toy soldiers...so I picked up the next best thing, 40k. Today I'm going back to epic though. And trying out FoW. Might give 40k a rest.

invinciblebug
25-04-2009, 11:58
It was my brother who got me into Warhammer (as with most things I'm into :p).

He gave me some of the miniatures I didn't want which I painted and loved it. After a while a started buying my own minis and got my friend into Warhammer too. Since then my brother has long gone quit Warhammer and so has my friend :(.

Cultist of Sooty
25-04-2009, 12:07
When I was a kid, I was into making model kits, usually of Second World War planes. I can remember seeing Citadel miniatures in the local model shop and thinking they looked really cool, though I had no idea what exactly they were for. I'd also seen some wargames at a local fete, and played some simple ones that I'd made up myself at home with assorted Airfix soldiers.

When I was 10, I got the first Fighting Fantasy gamebook - The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - from the Puffin book club at school. That got me interested in RPGs and stuff. I went to an actual games shop for the first time, and got some 15mm miniatures and a copy of Reaper. That was a fantasy wargame published by, IIRC, Tabletop Games and was written by some blokes called Richard Halliwell and Rick Priestey. I also got Laserburn, by Bryan Ansell, which included a lot of stuff that later made it into 40K, like bolt guns, dreadnought armour, conversion beamers, Redemptionists...

About a year later, when I'd started senior school, the first Edition of Warhammer came out.

I still have my copy of Laserburn and I keep meaning to use it to play a 40K skirmish sometime.

Vote Kantor
25-04-2009, 12:17
I was about 9, <INSERT STAR WARS NERDIFICATION HERE> and went into a gw because it looked awesome, i remember a trial game where i had a squad of /imperial stormtroopers/ and a thing that looked a hellofalot like an AT-ST, i was wondering why there were orks with giant buzzsaws at the time but the necrons caught my eye. i was 12 when i got necrons and then dropped out for a while , 3 years ago i got battle for macragge, my brother got the marines, i got the nids, i played those for 2 years, decided i wanted a change and some tanks, i am now a thriving guard player

Scorpius_78
25-04-2009, 13:10
About 2 years ago back when i was still in college, I walked into my friend's place to see if he wanted to go grab a bit to eat. When I found him there he was with his girlfriend (at the time) and a friend of his playing this game with little people. And me being me just laughing and started makeing fun of them. (In my defense I had no clue what wargaming was or anything like that. And I had known them for about a year at that point and would have never guessed that they did anything like this.) So after about 5 mins of me funing fun of them my friend said "hey dont bash it till you try it". I laugh and said find but hurry it up i wanta go get some food.

Before i knew it i was hooked, we all played 3 games that night and had to get pizza order in becuase i wanted to keep playing. That night he showed me the GW site and started telling me the backround. The next day we want down are LGS and...... ya. Here i am 2 years later with close to a 10k Thousand Sons army and a small 1k ork army.

Lovejoy
25-04-2009, 13:18
Cultist of Sooty - I'm really glad you posted, because I was feeling really old reading this thread!
I started buying Citadel miniatures for role playing, played the Fighting Fantasy books and bought Laserburn too, and then bought Warhammer when it was released.
Glad I'm not the only guy on here who remembers miniatures before slottabases!

Cultist of Sooty
25-04-2009, 14:15
I felt quite aged last week when I realised that the old spare miniatures I was using to teach my friends' children to paint were older than the kids are.

As for slottabases, they were quite controversial in our crowd when they were introduced. Some people loved them for being all nice, regular and stable. Others thought they were ugly and hated that you had to go to all the trouble of gluing your miniatures to them before you could stand them up.

And some of them thought the first plastics - I can't recall offhand if it was the 'psychostyrene dwarf' or the 'drastik plastik orc' that was first - were the beginning of the end and that Citadel were turning miniatures into silly toy soldiers. I'm no longer in touch with the couple of school friends who most hated the plastics. I'd be curious to see whether they're still interested in gaming now and, if so, what their take on plastic miniatures is.

shin'keiro
25-04-2009, 16:59
I'd been using GW products since they came out - mainly for D&D (dungeons and dragons) - so it was a natural progression.

BaronDG
25-04-2009, 17:27
I saw an ad about Rogue Trader, soon to be released in some role-play magazine. Next to it was a drawing of a dwarf in space suit and a gun with an axe as combat accessory. I thought it was incredibly cool and I was hooked.

eshinkid
25-04-2009, 17:44
I was walking through the mall and tripped into the door. 5 minutes later I was hooked.

Laser guided fanatic
25-04-2009, 17:49
When I was about 6 I was in town with my bro and we went to games workshop, and ofc we both got hooked but unfortunatly my brother does not play anymore apparently because of the annoying kids and none of my friends play either so I just collect now.

DaSpaceAsians
25-04-2009, 18:02
I played DOW but never really liked the Space Marines and then I tried WA. My first reaction was ZOMG HUMANS WITH LASER RIFLES WITH BAYONETS AND COMMISSARS SWEET. My brother and I then went to my now closed Games Workshop. I painted my first marine and loved it but saw the 20 Cadian box. The same night, I contacted my 3 of friends and convince to check it out. The week afterwards, my Local GW hosted an Auction and 3 of us started our respective armies and the fourth thought it was too expensive and too no life to start. Afterwards we ended up getting two of my friends' brothers in, another friend and his brother and my brother's best friend into the game. Now I stand with a humble 3000pts army with converted tanks

40kdhs
25-04-2009, 18:08
I walked around the shopping mall on the weekend and noticed a GW store. It was how I started to play Fantasy. When I saw a lot of 40k players in the store, i started to play 40k as well.

I wanted to roll the dice. :)

OP master N
25-04-2009, 18:13
I started to build 1/72 plastic model planes when I was able to.
Hardly any paint on them back then, though...

Started playing RPG's (AD&D firstly, later Star Wars, Vampire and others...) around when I started in High school. That led to lots of different board games, like Hero Quest, junta, Risk, Axis & Allies...

The first GW game I played was Man'o'War (any one who remembers that???), a game with cute little pewter ships and lots of counters...

Then the ball started rolling, soon I had a sizable force of High Elves (8000p) and now I mostly play 40k.
Currently I've got 10k pionts of 40k models combined, Dark Angels and Alaitoc Eldar. Plus Scratch buildt Warhound, Revenant, knight paladin and Thunderbolt...

Azmo

Orion the Lost
25-04-2009, 20:12
Had heard friends a grade ahead of me talking about space marines and bolters back when I was in sixth grade, didn't know what those were but they sounded neat. A few years later (1994 i believe) and i went to an independant retailer having their own "games day,gen con, whatever". Walked through the door and an Eldar Revenant Titan from epicast or armorcast(cant remember) was staring me in the face. It was painted beutifully and beneath it was an entire eldar army. I then found out what it was for and went ohhh...:D
Got back in touch with those guys a grade ahead of me and got a hold of rogue trader and me and my friends started in. We then learned of second edition and I've played every one since then.
Had a breif pause after my school friends and I went our seperate ways, but a couple more years later and I had spread the disease, I mean hobby, on to a new batch of friends:angel:

kultz
25-04-2009, 21:28
It started innocent, ya know?

I was young then. Made some friends in the wrong crowds, thought it was cool to hang behind schools and smoke cigarettes.

We did the usual hooligan things, shoplifting, drinking, hanging around neighborhoods at night. Harmless stuff.

Eventually, one thing led to another, and I picked up some bad habits.

Started doing some coke here, a little E there...At first it was all right, but very quickly it wasn't enough.

That's when I stumbled on this stuff.

At first I was skeptical, but soon I was addicted to the 'fourty'.

Desperate to get the next fix, I did some pretty nasty things. There's too much blood on my hands for the sake of some of that Space Marines...*sob*

Oh god the children...

Dr. Hellbeast
25-04-2009, 21:29
I was 10 or 11, it must have been '88 or '89 in the Rogue Trader days. Friends at school had some pre-slotta fantasy stuff, but I instantly fell in love with the brand new (then) plastic beakies boxed set. :)

Yarick Zan
25-04-2009, 21:41
A long time ago, I can't remember exactly when, I saw some really nice 40k stuff in some store that had already been painted up and what not. I remember also seeing a rhino on a shelf in my friends house for years (this was an old style rhino too) and we looked at it one day and were kind of dismayed it wasn't built or even painted at all.

Back about 6 years ago some friends seemed to be getting into it, some even went so far as to buy a few models or a battleforce or something like that. Well they never truly got into it. Then one day I am looking around online and I find the GW official site. Fantasy had never really interested me, so I go right for the high tech of 40k. Finally after looking around it over the course of a few days I really decided I would get into it.

I picked my first army, Tau, because at the time they had the newest codex, and they had way more customizable options than the Necrons. After I had what I considered a decent sized force (could build a 500 point army) I went to my FLGS and met some really nice guys and became friends with them.

Emperors Teeth
25-04-2009, 23:15
When I was 6, I got my first exposure to the game through some 40k stuff I saw in our small towns model shop. Specifically an Eldar Dreadnought, back in something like 1988!

My Mum wouldn't let me have it cause it would bo too tough to do anything with at that age... probably a sensible thing to do. 2 yrs later though I encountered a friend whose older brother had a few bits. I acquired some 2nd hand stuff and got started painting.

A christmas sometime between 1990 and 1992 I think, I got the 2nd ed 40k box and the Dark Millenium expansion at the same time. I still have them too. :D

Acheron143
26-04-2009, 02:07
I got my start in a round about way. I started with Battletech minis at 12. Then moved onto a Space Marine Scout/Imperial Guard guardsman gang for Necromunda at like 14. Then I just stalled out till 18 and my friends and I got into Warhammer 40k for real and I started building a few different chapters up to 1k points each since I couldn't decide. My Death Wing, my Raven Wing, my Iron Hand, and my Black Templar... all oddly enough Black with off white/black/white piping. so they can be used interchangably as "different" companies in my own custom chapter.

fenrir31
26-04-2009, 04:21
Friend of mine came home from the UK with a 40k Rogue trader hardback our first game we used the whole living room with Chess pieces as our figures it wasn't until about 4 months before my uncle who was ito Micronaught Miniature ships took me to the Toy Soldier in Mass. that I found 40k Citadel mini's.

EmMeTt
26-04-2009, 04:40
When I was very little, my father and I walked past a GW store. He made me go in, as I was very reluctant at first, but when I first saw Warhammer I was hooked. This was during the era of my childhood when I loved LoTR and I walked out of the store with a box of Minas Tirith warriors and a box of Orcs. A few years later I got the Tau battleforce for my birthday, and from there I began collecting Space Marines, Imperial Guard and many other armies.

I bet my dad really regrets taking me in to that store...

Caprosmaster
26-04-2009, 06:30
back when i was 11, LOTR pulled me in, probably the movies influence..

WorLord
26-04-2009, 06:34
I liked the models and was already reading WD at the time (anyone else remember when they had articles on non-GW games?). Finally broke down and started playing 40K when the 2nd ed box set came out.

RustyKnight
26-04-2009, 08:45
Well, I started gaming when I was young, like six or seven (16 right now). My dad played a bunch of wargames and used to play D&D, so he taught some of those games to me and my brother.

Jumping ahead about five years, I wanted to get into a miniatures game. I was bored of the little cardboard counters of Squad Leader, and didn't like the tiny men of FoW (using Battleground rules, I still occasionally throw down my paratrooper squad with Sherman and M26). My dad, my bro, and I were all going to pick a game together and we had narrowed it down to WHFB, 40k, and Reaper Miniature's Warlord. I thought WHFB looked the most interesting (I wanted to field big blocks of troops), but my brother and father liked the smaller, skirmish level Warlord. So, we started in on Warlord.

Jumping ahead two years, I'm sitting on largish Crusader and Elf armies for Warlord, but the game isn't doing too well. We move (only about 35 miles away from our old home) and start looking for gaming stores to demo Warlord (we're Black Lightning, volunteer demo'ers for Reaper). We locate JAC Games and post some signs announcing some demos we'll be running.

On the day of the demos, we have all of zero people show up for demos. I start looking around the store and spy the then-new plastic Carnifex kit. It was the most awesome model I had ever seen. Jokeingly, I told my father I wanted to make an army out of them. The guy running the store overheard and started telling us about the game. I came back the next week to learn how to play. Used the guy's IG against his Necrons. There were human body parts everywhere :p . I enjoyed the game though, and decided to get into the hobby. After talking to my brother and my father, we decided on armies. I, of course, went with the Tyranids. My brother chose the Tau, couldn't say why. My father chose Space Marines, in part so we could buy lots of Macragge sets.

Got our starting armies and began assembling. Once we started playing, my brother decided he didn't like the game and sold his army. Unfortunately, at the FLGS, the two 40k nights were tuesdays and sundays at 9 p.m., and that just wasn't gonna do with school and what not. At that time, our 40k kinda got shelved for other things (including building a giant plaster dungeon for Warlord, we have like twenty something feet of tunnels).

Jumping ahead two years, I visit JAC Games to pick up some paint and strike up a conversation with one of the guys there. I learned that 40k now started at five-ish. That heralded, in my opinion, my true start of 40k.

Now, I'm starting to send the roots of the Hive Mind into my school. I've gotten three friends to join (Orks, Tau, Daemons) and have a fourth considering it. My brother is also thinking about giving the game a whirl again.

Tymell
26-04-2009, 08:55
Ha, nice one Kultz ;) Like it

I was out browsing some shops in Kingston with my dad when I was about 8 or 9, saw a GW model catalogue (it wasn't actually a Games Workshop store) and was caught by the kick-ass pic of the Chaos marine on the front, so I spent my pocket money on it. I was addicted to it for months, flicking through all the models, trying to work out what all of them were. I spotted the odd White Dwarf in newsagents, WHSmiths, etc, and snapped those up for more info. Soon I found Games Workshop itself, and it all went from there.

Jellicoe
26-04-2009, 12:27
late 70's 1/72 airfix and matchbox models for WWII gaming. D&D in early 80's along with fighting fantasy led to first GW models and 1st ed WFB. Rogue Trader taken up when released. Wilderness years during 90's so missed 4th, and 5th WFB and 2nd ed 40k. Returned in 2000 and happily playing ever since

Spider-pope
26-04-2009, 12:49
My entry into the hobby is entirely the fault of a friend at Secondary School, Ewok, who dragged me along to a lunchtime gameclub. After a weird pseudo-fight involving 1 wood elf and a couple of Orcs, i was hooked. We used to play small games at lunchtime, didnt know the rules and Ewok was pretty much making stuff up on the spot, but still some of my fondest memories involving Warhammer.

victorpofa
26-04-2009, 17:49
This subject comes up every so often so I will paraphrase what I said last time.

My first exposure to 40K was in 1991 when a guy at college showed our gaming club his collection of expensive metal models from England. He tried to get us all interested, but we were scared off by the cost. The only model I remember at all was a Wraithlord. All were in the original factory silver. Then in August 2006 someone at my club tried to get a skirmish campaign going using Necromunda rules only months after I was shown the joys of painting fantasy minis for RPGs. The campaign never materialized as he wanted to use stuff from 2nd edition and favored his own force, but that introduction to the background sucked me into 40K.

I decided on Tau for the skirmish game because of the mecha feel. I worked on them a bit (My first hobby game and I had just started painting models 6 months before), and looked up background to learn more. I then started my Space Wolves as my first real army based partially on their background, and partially because they were marines who could take a Leman Russ. I fell in love with the Russ playing Dawn of War which I had just discovered.

LonelyPath
26-04-2009, 20:44
Gods, my start with GW hobby starts in 1986 when I bought my first ever game (the Warhammer Fantasy Battle rulebook), but I'd already been buying Citadel Minis and WD for a while since I played D&D and it contained material for the game. I'd also been buying other things from GW shops back then as well though, like airfix kits and so on, they sold alot of different things back then. But, WFB was my first game, soon followed by many others, some of them quite odd looking back at them now.

Anyone fancy a game of Trollz in da Pantry?

Hicks
26-04-2009, 20:50
I started to play with 5th ed. Fantasy. One of my friends told me about this new game he was starting up with some of his friends.

You needed to buy loads of terribly expensive figurines that didn't even come assembled or painted like the image on the box. You also needed dices to play this game (so it's like Monopoly?). Man that was probably the geekiest, uncoolest thing I had ever heard of at that point in my life.

Then I actually tried it...

parus_ater
26-04-2009, 20:54
A few of my friends at scholl got into it but didn't get nearly enough models to get a game. Fast Forward five years and I get Dark Omen on the PSX and find a Empire Great Cannon blister in the street so I started painting warhammer instead of just plain old WWII armour.

szlachcic
26-04-2009, 21:21
A few earlier influences had an impact on me getting into a hobby such as this. The earliest I remember was getting HeroQuest and two expansions for my birthday one year (I think I was about 8). My brothers and I would play it non-stop after school until we got through all the quests.

This was probably my first introduction into fantasy games and the like and I eventually found myself interested in Battletech, Magic, and D&D when I was a few years older. I mainly played Magic with some friends at school and continued to do so until I was about 12 or 13. I also was really into building models of military vehicles at this time which I am sure had an impact on me getting into wargaming.

One of my friends who played Magic came over my house one day and happened to bring a tackle box with him. I thought it was extremely odd and was even more confused when he opened it up and showed me all the small metal figures inside. He explained what they were for and I was instantly fascinated by Warhammer.

As soon as possible I went to a LGS with my parents and looked at all of their 40k models. This was right at the end of 2nd Edition and I remember getting ready to buy the boxset since it was discounted, but the clerk said that I should probably wait for the new Edition. My brother and I received the 3rd Edition boxset as a present for Christmas and used all of our Christmas money to start our Dark Eldar and Tyranid armies.

One of my best memories of Warhammer is the first time I went over to my friend's house to play a game. I had spent most of my free time building all my models and painting all that I could (not very well I might add). I remember going into his room and seeing a large plywood table with cardboard building kits, barricades, and trees set up on it. We ended up playing a 2 vs. 2 battle and it was absolutely amazing. From that moment on I was completely hooked and went on to play Warhammer Fantasy for a little in 5th Edition, but ended up waiting until 6th as I wasn't a huge fan of the rules in 5th.

trestrong
27-04-2009, 19:39
i was had some time on me hands so i went into the games workshop in manchester just to see wot it was and it was brilliant although i started of collecting warhammer orks im now going to collect warhammer 40k space marine's

trestrong
27-04-2009, 19:40
i was had some time on me hands so i went into the games workshop in manchester just to see wot it was and it was brilliant although i started of collecting warhammer orks im now going to collect warhammer 40k space marine's sorry about the was had

x-esiv-4c
27-04-2009, 19:43
WD114. At the time my brother was playing EPIC...And that pretty much sealed the deal.

Forlorn
27-04-2009, 20:08
I started gaming with my father in 15mm Napoleonic Historicals. I painted the entire, and I mean entire 1812 Bavarian Army in 15mm.

I also gamed in Dungeons and Dragons but I liked seeing the figures of our party, and the monsters we fought, represented in miniatures as we gamed.

This then branched into fantasy where I painted a huge FB Orc/Goblin army but had no one to play. A gaming store opened nearby and 40k seemed to be the game of choice as no one seemed to play FB.

I ended up playing 2nd Edition 40k and a player was nice enough to teach me the game and allow me to use his figures, making me the man I am today.

Playing little tiny soldiers.

Frontier
27-04-2009, 20:16
Bit of a Sci Fi fan, so I decided to check it out in second ed. Never really got started until fourth ed. Enjoyed annoying non-marines since then.

Terror of the East
27-04-2009, 20:20
I was in early primary school, i had just got heroquest for Christmas and loved the models, still had no idea what GW was and one day when down the street buying a comic i came across a white dwarf (had a chaos dwarf on taurus as a front cover) had a look in and suddenly i was like wow..it had a how to paint and everything. i was hooked, went home found paints and begun to paint my hero quest models. badly with humbro paints.
Took the issue into school, then on that day my now sadly deceased friend came to school and was like me and my dad play 40k and from then we would play 2nd ed round at his until he died just as we started the academy. During this time turns out a lot of people i knew played or started to play and armies grew and we got more confident with the rules and playing.

I still remember my first GW models, the box set of goblin spearman and archers. i dnt do to bad at painting them once i got some proper paints :)

Ive never stopped playing or at least painting and modeling. looking back Ive been into GW since i was really little...and im now 25. geeze this hobby can take over your life

CordovaLemonSlayer
27-04-2009, 20:29
Well, i was sorta raised on warhammer. My dad collected all of the old roguue trader models.
He had armies of squats and old school figs. The coolest thing for me was when he would let me go down in the basement and look at all of them. That prettY much sparked my interest for W40K. Now... this last Christmas he gave me all of his old figs. I should make a thread about it.

Vaktathi
27-04-2009, 20:36
I think when I was 7 or 8 I was in a game store in the old town section of San Diego and picked up a 40k and Fantasy catalog, it was just as 2nd ed had come out and they were talking about the upcoming Leman Russ tank kits and the new Giant models (the ones with the kegs and kilts).

I liked the pictures and what was described, but didn't get into 40k then as I had no money and no gaming area close. With the advent of Dawn of War in 2004, I got into that because of those catalog's I'd picked up 10 or 11 years earlier. After that I soon got into actual tabletop 40k now that I'd been reminded and had income. I soon collected pretty much anything GW ever printed that exists in a PDF format and been memorizing all that crap and playing on a weekly basis ever since :D

satanslandlady
27-04-2009, 20:40
My bf is into warhammer 40k. We'd stop at the local gaming store when we were in the area, usually before going to a club. He'd been trying to coax me for at least a month to play a game. I just looked at his models and said.. 'no those things are ugly. I don't do table top gaming. I love my computer.' If anything I wanted to play Warhammer online. He tried the obvious route of showing my the sister's of battle figures. All I could think is 'Is that the best there is? Really ugly female models?'

Then I saw the box of daemonettes on the shelf. I picked it up and said 'I like these.' I think he was stunned and said something like 'You like the bondage daemons..? Really?' He bought me the box for my birthday along with a rose. I think it ended up being more a present for him >.<. I'm very much a collector so once I had one daemon box I had to have another... and another... and another... until I figured that I should learn to play since I had such a large collection.

Kouzuki
27-04-2009, 20:50
Well... not very sure, but I've been a fan of this kind of hobby for a while... it's only natural that I eventually picked up WH40k =p.

LonelyPath
27-04-2009, 21:00
WD114. At the time my brother was playing EPIC...And that pretty much sealed the deal.

WD114 remains my favourite issue to this very day, all that info on Stealers. hehehe :)

dala_karn
27-04-2009, 21:24
if i can remember it was the last year of primary school (year 6, Uk around 9/10 years old) and my friend brought in some of the old gothic ruins to assemble. at my primary school on the last day of the shcool year everyone got to bring whatever they want in and play with it until the end of the day, pretty much a 9am to 3pm break time. anyway i helped him assemble the models and afterwards i went over to his house and saw his 2000pts crimson fist army along with a 3 by 4 foot terrain table he had for display (he was a collector not a gamer). thats when i first saw GW minitures it wern't until i was in high school in year 8 (11/12 years old) when i finally got into the hobby.

during the year my head of year started up a club as his son (who i'm friends with and play against) started 40k so he ordered the whole gaming club package they had (like 4 of each starter set of 3rd and 6th edition of the games and the last 12 months of white dwarfs and paint). during that time i found out that my other friends had played fantasy a couple of years and i didn't even know XD. i made some new friends who played 40k and i decided i wanted to play, but i had only known space marines so i flicked through the white dwarfs and read a few until i came accross the army i wanted. it was on the front cover in all it's glory and the text said it all "INFESTATION!"Tyranids were my first army and the first £100 i wasted (messed up the gaunts box sets SO bad)

i still have the white dwarf as well (forgot to return it but he didn't mind as it was free) it was issue254 february 2001 as it previews golden deamon results for 2000 on the back. now 8 years have passed, 4 armies collected and still loving the game.

the-skylord
28-04-2009, 00:09
Went along to the school gaming club with a friend, spent ages convicing my dad to let me collect then got IG for christmas.

That was 8 years ago.

nightgant98c
28-04-2009, 00:47
A new guy joined our gaming group, and he made frequent mention of 40k. He had a bunch of necromunda stuff, and enough models for us to try it out. We loved it. Then he started telling us how much more we'd like 40k, and we tried it out with his armies. Thus wasmy addiction started.

oflyingo
28-04-2009, 02:43
I had a buddy that played with this father-in-law. He kept trying to get me to come over and play with them. Now when I say this please do not take offense... ;) as I thought to myself “I’m not quite that nerdy”. Oh how wrong I was. 2 Years and 2 armies later I am still meeting with the same group of guys to play. :D

Bellygrub
28-04-2009, 17:06
I played Chronopia and Warzone. Then Forlorn tricked me into buying the Dark Eldar from his 3rd Edition boxed set. It was all downhill from there.

Hypaspist
28-04-2009, 17:31
I used to Play a LOT of Magic the Gathering - (the sort of lot where when i was in my year out between school and university I was regularly going to tournaments every other weekend) Cue a long time passing and we calmed down tournaments and played Magic down the Pub every Monday night until 4 or 5 years back we couldn't be bothered because specifically one individual made the evening so unenjoyable every week. (Though actually its was symptomatic of our group need for a change as much as anything else) That was when I was introduced to Roleplay, and some new friends, and from there and a couple more years knowing my (sometimes) addictive personality, and knowing my love of tactical board games, they pulled the "First one is for free" trick on me by lending me an army and showing me the game. The rest as they say is history, and after 2 years and something approaching 15000 points later............
Sisters, Grey Knights, Dark Angels and the beginnings of a Waaaagh.

I did try once... but apparently I just can't get enough ;)

Trogdor
28-04-2009, 17:55
I was in Y7 at secondary school and there was a bit of a trend for all things GW at the time - lots of putative Ork armies in "shiny lead" colour schemes and what have you. I got caught up in it and eventually, after much nagging, was bought a copy of the 2nd ed boxed set for my birthday.

I haven't been the same since.

LordofWar1986
28-04-2009, 18:35
When I was a sophomore in high school, my brother our friend and myself went to the nearby mall nearly 5-6 times. We never went around it completely because of how big it is, but we really didn't care about what was around the last unknown corner. Little did we know that around the corner there was a GW store. So one day not knowing what to expect, we completed the circle and instantly noticed the big ol red life sized space marine in the glass staring at us. He spoke through to us about the emperor needing help for mankind :p, and all 3 of us joined the ranks of 40k and WFB.

Unfortunately I am the only one still playing since that day :(

For the Emperor!!

Wicksy
28-04-2009, 19:45
crikey...i was about 13 ('93) and my mate had started playing warhammer fantasy battle. He had the box set (the one with the high elves and orcs and the cardboard proxies). He showed me the rules....i went out, got the undead book and a shed load of models and paints and never looked back. I branched out into Epic and necromunda...fiddled with blood bowl a bit then gave up when i went to uni. I just started playing last month and am well and truly addicted once more!

Grimbad
28-04-2009, 23:49
Once, long ago, I owned a blue-tongued skink lizard.
When I had just turned nine, I had a birthday party at the Metreon in san francisco. There used to be a great arcade there called the Airtight Garage (replaced by two arcades since then, when the last one closed we got two of their very neat sci-fi themed chairs for free). Directly across the hall from the Garage was a Games Workshop. The models looked cool, but also looked like too much work. The big rulebooks didn't scare me, I was already playing roleplay games at that age. I would look around in the GW after spending all my arcade tokens, but never bought anything until that birthday party, when I saw a box of one-part skinks.

Pooky
29-04-2009, 00:37
I used to love playing chess as a kid but I don't really like the medieval thing. After a while I found the game was getting stale; I would always use the same opening, I would use the same threats/ responces/ tactics/ mid and end game tactics... I was then wondering around a shopping centre one day and saw small models in a display case and I thought "Oh, those are nice. They look like model soldiers, but are Sci-fi and I really like Sci-fi". So I wondered in and had a look. I had an intro game with 40k and the rest, as they say, is history :D

Wildeyedjester
29-04-2009, 03:12
I played alot of RPG's when I was between the ages of 13-16. I remember when my friend and I stumbled into a little tucked away hobby shop looking for RPG materials, and we saw all the pewter hanging on the wall. We were intrigued to say the least, and when they explained you built armies and fought each other we were hooked. I remember two 16 year olds trying like hell to net enough cash to buy the fantasy box set, which at the time contained cardboard cutouts of a chariot and rock lobber to go with all the spiked goblin spear minis of doom. When we finally got the box and got everything together, we were shocked to see how complete the rules were! We were also super stoked that we had a ready to go gaming table in the form of a green felt pool table.

I've been hooked ever since, taking breaks from the GW scene, but always returning. This happened close to 15 years ago.... God, I'm getting old......