PDA

View Full Version : squad member stereotypes; a modeling question.

Mobius One
20-12-2005, 03:14
Greetings all, hope this post finds you well.

I've recently decided to paint/model a 10 man Marine Tactical Squad purely for display; the reason being that we've just bought a new shelf/bookcase for the living room and it's got a windowed section that's just begging for some Warhammer-related goodness. I've already put some of my Bretonnians up there, along with half a Cadian squad.

So as I was putting the marines together, I decided that I'd model each model with a certain movie/t.v. stereotype, ie "the communications guy" or the "heavy weapon guy" or "quiet sniper dude", and of course, "half crazy, jaded, hard-as-nails sergeant guy." The main reason behind this is that a lot more people will see these models as opposed to my gaming army, and I wanted something that would appeal to the casual house visitor.

Anyway, I have this is what I have so far:

1) communications / missile launcher loader guy: standard marine with Kasrkin backpack (with guitar string antennae) to represent enhanced comms. He's got the three missiles for the missile launcher on his hip and an auspex in one hand. I'd assume he's the guy that hangs in the rear, loading and spotting for the missile launcher and providing the sarge with comms. Every now and then he'd pop off a couple of rounds.

2) missile launcher dude: self explanatory. Added some extra bitz on his back and some spare missiles to his hips.

3) sniper guy: basic marine, in an aiming pose with the bolter shouldered. Did some mod work on the bolter itself, and gave it an extended barrel made of (of all things) a missile from the IG heavy weapons squad, along with an extended stock from the ol' 2nd ed. bolter. Gave him a bare head too (the new respirator head, actually, which I think is awesome); I imagine he wants to see through the scope with his own eyes and not through the lenses of his helmet.

...and that's pretty much it. Any other suggestions for how to model the rest of the squad? I've already got some ideas for the sarge... My girlfriend suggested a medic, and my Dad some sort of young newbie marine that's always the first to get killed in the movies. Hmm.

Incidentally, they will be painted up in my own Chapter colors. Which are blue with white detailing. Unoriginal, yes, but do I care? No. :D They're my models, dammit.

Ideas?

-Mobius One.

cpl_hicks
20-12-2005, 03:23
for ideas look at the origional shaffers last chancers models (http://www.newwave.org/minis/contest/goldenbrush1/scifisquad/imagelg/jackiesoutherland13.jpg) as they are the "dirty dozen" and each have specific stereoypes

brother_fandango
20-12-2005, 03:25
id put a guy in there that looks like a "tactioner". possibly has the full collar aurmor, maybe some sort of straight coat, matrix style. there could also be the "twin pistol judo man of death" close combat sort, with two pistols, and just teeming with knives in every convient location of his body. i would then slap a medic in there. not so much an apothercary, but a medic that looks like a ww2 white helm, few firearms, and alot of drugs on him. then there could be the guy that has his precious pet dog, give him either the bretonian hound, or orions hound, and count it as a powerfist. good luck

starlight
20-12-2005, 03:35
The 'A' Team or any other military themed 80's show (Space: AaB) will provide good fodder, as will movies like Starship Troopers, Aliens and the like.:D

TomKamakazi
20-12-2005, 04:12
You've got to have the flame thrower guy with goggles! Use a bare head and push a very small blob of green stuff into each eye socket (make sure they are equal size) and then press them flat with the side of a sculpting tool or a knife.

What ever else you do, you absolutely MUST have a scar running down the sergeant's face and accross his eye... and stubble, no one is hard-bitten with out stubble!

grave digger
20-12-2005, 05:34
You could make:

A Demo Expert. Lots of grenades, TNT, plastique, etc.

BFG man would be good. Perhaps an Assault Cannon or Hvy. Stubber.

Hero. Shining Armour. No blemishes. Perfect in all ways.

Twin Pistol Dude (as mentioned by brother_fandango)

Scout Man. Combi-Bolter/Shotgun. Really friken Big Knife.

Comic Relief Man (every action movie has this guy, for good or bad). Sock puppet on hand and monkey on his back. I don't know but you got to have one.

Tech Expert Man. Similar to the radio person but more tech like. Perhaps a Tech Priest.

Just some thoughts.

Diggs

yohanes13
21-12-2005, 12:04
do a black guy already shot and dying there always first to die

IG88
21-12-2005, 14:55
Don't forget about the crazy Native American dude a la Predator, in case you want somebody barechested in a knife-holding "bring 'em on!" pumped-but-peaceful stance.

Also add the quiet religious guy that goes nuts in the end.

Hideous Loon
21-12-2005, 16:20
And the grenadier. Don't forget the grenadier.

Chaos and Evil
21-12-2005, 16:23

No, the black guy always carries the biggest gun.

Then he gets shot.

warlordgrubnatz
21-12-2005, 22:04
a guy with a big machinegun (modified bolter or heavy bolter) with cigar, bare head, teh beefcake character.

native america, machetee scout dude.

brother_fandango
22-12-2005, 01:40
make the semi preverted guy who no one trusts. "then it puts the lotion on..." type of guy.

Kensai X
22-12-2005, 03:25

Actually in war movies it's either the Irish or Scotch who die first or die in the most painful and excruciating ways...

It's the black guys who always die in the Horror genre, now that's a stereotype they'll never shake...

MIGHTYPanhead
22-12-2005, 04:03
No, the black guy always carries the biggest gun.

Then he gets shot.

and they are always the biggest/strongest in the group, and have the coolest/longest death scene

the rookie is the first to get shot ring a bell? ;) (http://tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-12-16)

C. Langana
22-12-2005, 04:07
'Private Witherspoon' or 'Spoony': the fighting bantam weight of the squad, as hard and about the same size as a bunch of nails.

For sheer Nerd Chique(Sp) Cavendish!

the_yuk
22-12-2005, 06:39
Dont forget the mule, the poor down troden guy who is forced to carry all the ammo, and suplies. Also the most likely to be sent in to clear a minefield.

brother_fandango
22-12-2005, 20:25
wouldnt that be the asian guy? i still think there should be the company wise man. get carried on a litter by a few people.

TWB
22-12-2005, 21:59
I'm here to suggest a few of the more racially charged statements stay untyped.

My list
Sarge, Hard as nails can kill an army by himself, possibly only has one eye.
Seasoned veteran, spare wargear (I always keep this handy, For close encounters.), dripping with scars and personalised wargear, maybe lots of bionics.
Hardass Heavy weapon guy, can carry 15000 times the kit anyone else can, calls his gun by a girl's name and probably spends far too much time and attention on it. Has a stupid weakness that must be overcome.
Loon, Weither he's just mental or goes a bit whack when the preassure is on is immaterial, this guy is unhinged, who gave him the flamer . . ?
Rookie, Probably just out of scout armour, in awe of his brethren and eagre to prove himself, lots of un-necessary devotional script etc etc.
Intuitive, The squad's lucky charm, knows where the enemy shell will fall, where the booby traps are etc, his death with presage bad things for the squad.

Xyon
23-12-2005, 04:57
Right, for your heavy weapons guy, make him holding a heavy bolter, and have a spare missle launcher on his back, with spare missles.

Another squad stereotype, the maniac. have him wielding a big sword and a strange glare in his eyes, or if you're feeling up to it you can make him in a semi-battle scene where he is in the middle of cutting his enemy in half with his overly large sword.

Two-pistols guy.

Maybe two-chainswords guy (could be maniac with two swords instead of one big one).

Comms.

Medic.

Sarg.

Newbie.

the newbies mentor (person newbie looks up to for guidance and is usually a father-figure)

Chaplain (not the 40k type, but the stereotype-type), and/or squad religious person.

The demolitionist. grenades, bombs, explosives, land mines, the boomier the better.

the Know-it-all

the squad pessimist.

the squad optimist

the goggle-wearing flamer-wielding foul-mouthed with cliche catch-phrases guy. possibly with cigar that he lit with the flamer.

the scout-guy, prolly crouched down with a knife and maybe camoflauged armor, or camo over his armor.

squad sniper, prolly could take two bolters, cut 1/4 off of each, the 4th being from opposite ends, then attach, extend the barrel, add a scope, make the model crouch, and vuala. (might need some extra cutting and converting of the bolter, but hey, dont all of us marine players have dozens of spare bolters)

the squad comedian

the "iv got a girl back home" guy.

the second in command

thats quite a big list for ya, you can combine multiple of these together, i sappose, as some are more of personalities rather than what they are armed with or what position they are in.

Acolyte
23-12-2005, 08:36
You need one with a big *******' machine gun (Modified Heavy Bolter?), with ammo belts all over his body and whatnot.

Oh, and the HB has to be called 'Vera'.

(Waits to see if anybody gets the refs)

A guy wearing red armour.