PDA

View Full Version : The Zoats return

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 16:01
Just been reading a section in the new Tyranid codex on forgotten hive fleets and one of them Collossus in M38 contained centauroid creatures that communicated telepathically with various races.

The Imperium declared them Xenos horribilis once their true nature was known and destroyed the last vessel after a 50 year war.

salty
05-05-2005, 16:23
If I am brutally honest, I never really like Zoats. Did they not break off and form their own mercenary groups or something? I don't know all that much about them.

Salty :)

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 16:31
If you don't know much about the Zoats how can you dislike them?

Zoats aren't a bad idea, they just don't fit in to the current ideas behind a hivefleet, separating them into a singular hive fleet is a good idea.

salty
05-05-2005, 16:50
Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant I hated those models. They looked... poor.

malika
05-05-2005, 18:21
Many of the old models are not as 'cool' looking as the newer ones, but then again, there are a whole bunch of new models which look really lame as well!

salty
05-05-2005, 19:24
Yup, like the new Tyrant ;)

What were the Zoats? Were they scouts or something? Can anyone help?

malika
05-05-2005, 19:30
Here you go:

+++Zoats+++
Zoats are the most common of all the Tyranids specially engineered slave races. Other slave races are little more than animals, mere blobs of protoplasm dedicated to cleaning and maintaining the Hive Fleets of which they are a part. Even the hulking space craft that compose the Hive Fleetsare in a sense races as they are grown and nutured from a common, albeit much modified, genetic stock. Space craft are mindless monstrosities and the vast majority of other slave races are so dedicated to a single purpose it would be inappropriate to think of them as creatures. Zoats, on the other hand, are completely independant living creatures much like their masters.
The Xenobiologers of the Administratum believe that Zoats were created purely for combat. Tyranids, being creatures of space, suffer discomfort if they spend too long on a planet. Zoats, however, are stocky animals that feel quite at home in a wide variety of atmospheric and gravitational conditions. Like Tyranids, Zoats are centauroid. Their two rear sets of limbs are heavily built and muscular, providing the creature with means of locomotion. The front limbs are manipulative rgans of great strength and are used to weild a variety of weapons. Unlike Tyranids, Zoats will eat anything although they largely subsist on on a daily diet of three reconstituted protien based woven biscuits called Zoatibix. Zoats are common Hive Fleet inhabitants, often equalling the number of Tyranids themselves

sulla
05-05-2005, 19:36
I always liked Zoats...kind of Tyranid agitators. You cold easily justify them as another Tyranid attempt to 'turn' populations without having to resort to attack.

Never really liked the models (or any of the original tyranid models till the screamer killer came out) but the concept was pretty cool.

malika
05-05-2005, 19:40
This really bugged me:

Unlike Tyranids, Zoats will eat anything although they largely subsist on on a daily diet of three reconstituted protien based woven biscuits called Zoatibix. Zoats are common Hive Fleet inhabitants, often equalling the number of Tyranids themselves

I was never that fond of the "humour" the old stuff had, and the whole "everybody can have everybody's weapons" thing...

M@L@L
05-05-2005, 20:35
Aaah the Zoats.:D Never collected games workshop when they were part of the fluff and yet I still like the idea, call me lame. Though from my reading of the fluff snippet that Brimy posted, they are trying to explain their absence through fluff. Big war, Imperium wins, end of Zoats. Hopefully when I read the dex with my own eyes I'll be able to find loopholes allowing me to create fluff of my own explaining why there are a few of them still scattered around the galaxy.

I'd like to convert my own considering the old ones are now almost impossible to get ahold of, but I'd like for them to be centauroid like their description with a few more nid like features as the originals just looked like dragon ogres with guns and gas masks.

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 21:32
75hastings69 I've deleted your post, advertise your stuff in your sig or in the wanted forum.

Do anything like that again and you'll earn yourself a shiny new strike.

Yes the old Zoat models were poor and as I said the concept doesn't fit in at all into the current Tyranid concept.

I was never a fan of their old background but their appearance in the novel Space Marine is something I've never forgotten so it's good to see them get a mention in the new codex.

Btw nothing on Squats though. ;)

ObiWan
05-05-2005, 21:34

Really? well it comes as no surprise, but this could have been a great opportunity to include their "destruction" on the official fluff in the new 'nid codex, me thinks.

Aquila
05-05-2005, 21:47
ZOATS
Zoats are probably a very ancient strain of bio-construct because they share the same six-limbed structure as Tyranids and Genestealers. It is quite likely that this sextrupedal form is derived from the native creatures of the lost Tyranid homeworld in whatever remote galaxy they originally came from. Zoats are robust creatures with thick powerful limbs. Only their upper arms are used to hold or carry things; the lower two pairs are used for movement and have horny toes rather like a rhino.
Zoats have been specially developed so that they can communicate with alien creatures. Their minds are capable of tremendous leaps of logic and they are able to master new languages with astonishing speed. This enables Zoats to act as ambassadors to races taken over by the Tyranids and it also enables the Tyranids to find out about the races they have conquered. No matter how strange or mentally incompatible a race might be, the Zoats can learn how they think and act, and thereby access their true value to the Tyranids. Zoats are also tremendously strong and have thick horny skins. When they unleash their warrior skills they can destroy many times their own number of humans or other races, a feat which may serve to impress upon the defeated creatures just how superior the Tyranids are.

The primary purpose of the Zoats seems to be as ambassadors. There was a story of a feral world, Lamaro. When the Tyranid hive fleets arrived, the entire population calmly boarded the bio-ships, thinking they were greeting their new star gods. Sounds like the work of the Zoats to me.

Flame Boy
05-05-2005, 21:59
Zoatibix.... Ow, my aching sides. No, really.

Hmm... I wish you could detect sarcasm more easily in text format...

It's nice to see a cryptic mention of the Zoats, but as they are not likely to be developed again it seems a bit of a cop-out. Then again, describing them in detail wouldn't make much sense in the Codex... it would be like writing a page on one of the obscure species of scuttling creatures created to clean the inside of the bioships.

sulla
06-05-2005, 01:10
75hastings69 I've deleted your post, advertise your stuff in your sig or in the wanted forum.

Do anything like that again and you'll earn yourself a shiny new strike.

Yes the old Zoat models were poor and as I said the concept doesn't fit in at all into the current Tyranid concept.

I was never a fan of their old background but their appearance in the novel Space Marine is something I've never forgotten so it's good to see them get a mention in the new codex.

I dunno about not fitting the current tyranid concept. They seem like a very intelligent evolution of the tyranid organism to me; translator bugs, subtly hypnotic to influence their enemies to lay down arms... an alternative to 'stealer infestations. The only problem with them is that they are not really suited to 40K. Perhaps as adversaries for ordo xenos? Similar to enslavers in that they could enthrall an army?

Aquila
06-05-2005, 05:26
That's a damn good idea Sulla. Would make for a very nice Ordo Xenos campaign... hunting down the last of the Zoats!

salty
06-05-2005, 11:15
The background posted by Malika, Aquila and other is great and informative (except the Zoatibix bit... ;)). If there were some cool models now, I may even be inclined to try them. Maybe...

Brimstone, in what way do you feel they would not fit into the new fluff? Do you mean in the sense that the Nids are now the uber-tough biological killing machine made up of unthinking organisms? I can see how 'intelligent' creature (i.e., those with more autonomy than Hive Tyrants for instance) would break up that theme.

Brimstone
06-05-2005, 22:21
Brimstone, in what way do you feel they would not fit into the new fluff? Do you mean in the sense that the Nids are now the uber-tough biological killing machine made up of unthinking organisms? I can see how 'intelligent' creature (i.e., those with more autonomy than Hive Tyrants for instance) would break up that theme.

Because they are the ultimate predator, they don't care about talking to you, they don't care about negotiating with you, they just want your DNA.

Intelligent oh yes but in a predatory cunning manner.

You don't see Lions trying to talk to Thomson's gazelles before they eat them.

Marsekay
06-05-2005, 22:31
You don't see Lions trying to talk to Thomson's gazelles before they eat them.

Yeah but, if the lions could evolve the abilty to, i think they would!

Lostanddamned
06-05-2005, 22:54
but the most advanced of predators (viruses and men), imitate their prey or affect their behviour in order to get a better amount of kills.

M@L@L
06-05-2005, 23:03
I like the fact that the new fluff (or what Brimstone has told us of it) describes them as telepaths. Makes more sense than... "Oh, I see you've mastered our language. Well, I guess we can just kiss your butts from now on until your buddies arrive to eat us."

The telepathy thing makes them more niddy as genestealers have hypnotic abilities as well. I ask you this, why has no one said that genestealers are a bad idea when they are similar to the Zoats? Sure the stealers may use interspecies rape to get the job done, but it's manipulative conquest none the less.

I would like to see the Zoats again, but preferabbly in a list of their own. Like the enslavers mentioned above, they would make an interesting xeno adversary or a small snippet in chapter approved.

Aquila
07-05-2005, 05:42
A genestealer infestation is an entirely different situation.

The genestealers purpose is to reproduce enough until the psychic beacon of the Patriarch is strong enough to summon the hive fleet. In the meantime, they just go on a rampage of destruction so that when the fleet gets there, they have as little resistance as possible. Then the fleet just lands and eats everything, including the genestealers.

It's completely animal. Instinct. They're just like a parasite should be, they have no other directives other than to reproduce. I wonder if any of them even realize that they're going to be consumed as well?

I can see the similarities though... Zoats just seem a little bit too... I dunno, well-mannered?

DantesInferno
07-05-2005, 05:59
A genestealer infestation is an entirely different situation.

The genestealers purpose is to reproduce enough until the psychic beacon of the Patriarch is strong enough to summon the hive fleet. In the meantime, they just go on a rampage of destruction so that when the fleet gets there, they have as little resistance as possible. Then the fleet just lands and eats everything, including the genestealers.

It's completely animal. Instinct. They're just like a parasite should be, they have no other directives other than to reproduce. I wonder if any of them even realize that they're going to be consumed as well?

I can see the similarities though... Zoats just seem a little bit too... I dunno, well-mannered?

That's not quite right. A Genestealer infestation is not just Genestealers running about trying to infect as many people as possible, then go around causing as much havok as possible. It's quite a bit more subtle than that. Check out the info on the Ichar IV genestealer cult uprising. The cult is well organised to avoid detection by the authorities, or perhaps more likely poses as a perfectly devout Imperial cult (Cult of the Ascension or something). In any case, its true nature is kept firmly out of sight (if it is successful), and it becomes more and more selective in picking its hosts, choosing members of the PDF and plantetary government, for instance. Not just wildly implanting everyone it comes across, because it would be rooted out fairly quickly then.

Finally, the cult will start the uprising as it senses the Hive Fleet approaching, launching a campaign of open warfare, terrorism and assassination. Even if the cult is put down, the world is weakened for the Tyranid invasion. And if the cult is successful, the world is completely defenceless against the swarms.

salty
07-05-2005, 21:16
Yeah but, if the lions could evolve the abilty to, i think they would!

Yeah, but what would they say? "Hmm, you look tasty, hold still a moment..."

In hindsight, I suppose a Tyranid sub-species with too much autonomy would be a threat to the Hive Mind, as they would begin to think more about independece from the Nids...

If they were to add them back into 40k, I guess I wouldn't mind as long as they didn't use those shoddy old models...

Reabe
07-05-2005, 21:45

In hindsight, I suppose a Tyranid sub-species with too much autonomy would be a threat to the Hive Mind, as they would begin to think more about independece from the Nids...

If they were to add them back into 40k, I guess I wouldn't mind as long as they didn't use those shoddy old models...

They were a threat to the hive mind. A lot went rebel and some helped the Imperium against the Tyranid forces. Of course, where ever to near the Hive Mind, they could be taken over by it and so were a threat to everyone for their volitile nature. I think all the ones still under the Hive Mind's command got their Bio Mass returned to it. I guess it's still possible for them to be about somewhere, although without the Zoatibix. :rolleyes:

M@L@L
09-05-2005, 22:05
It's quite feasible that when they were re-absorbed, they were made into tyranid warriors. Back in the rogue trader days, nid models were just the zoats, some gaunt type things and squigs (which were tyranid creatures back then). Maybe the hive mind thought that Zoats were a bit too free thinking and decided to make them into warriors, a breed which was more suited for combat yet not as independent as the Zoats. BTW, before anyone flames me, I'm not saying thats what happened it's just my thoughts on the matter.:D

As for the Zoats of Colossus, I doubt that that would have been the only hive fleet which included them. Maybe some ships are still floating around which contain hybernating zoats. 3rd edition fluff says something about older breeds of nids only recently attacking worlds after floating around for centuries without attacking anything or something like that.

I'm really wanting to do rules for independent Zoats but I'm stuck with how to model them. I'd like to keep the horny hided, centaur look but I'm not sure how to go about it. From my reading of the snippet which Brimmy posted, I'm guessing they must have looked disimilar enough from nids to escape discovery for a while, so maybe I should try to subtley break the rules of nid anatomy.

gingerentity
18-05-2005, 09:45
Alright, I can remember back to the good old days of rogue trader when zoats were still about and stealers had 2 wounds, but can anyone help me identify this model:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44125&item=5197868514&rd=1

It's under the heading of "tyranid prototype - Dominator" but it looks like a zoat leader or something. Can anyone else shed some light on this?
Cheers

Rövhalt
18-05-2005, 10:27
Hideous creature that is, and not in a good way...

Briareos
18-05-2005, 10:42
Stuff of legend provides all !!!

link (http://www.solegends.com/citrt/40kdominators.htm)

The auction seems to be the 'Gorgraval' bolter/flamer model.

Darkzeer
20-05-2005, 10:43
This is why I like the GW fluff writing atm. They're now going back and clarifying that old models, units and races have been exterminated :)

All they have to do now is properly exterminate the Squats.

venusianfurs
20-05-2005, 15:56
Suggesting the Chaos Squats were all suddenly eaten by a Daemon? Don't give them ideas.

Typheron
20-05-2005, 15:58

I would think something along the lines of "excuse me can i talk for a moment, im really sorry about the misunderstanding and were willing to discuss the situation..."

so while there busy talking the others nip round behind them and kill them all.

If the zoats were to re-appear as anything fluff wise i think this is probably how they would opperate. Perhaps masqurading as a unknown alien race and ganthering what is effectivly intel on a target world and then leaving before the nid fleet shows up, or providing a distraction for local authorities while the hive fleet closes in. Althoough they would be more fluff than TT.

grey_painter
20-05-2005, 19:52
All they have to do now is properly exterminate the Squats.

They have at the start of the Inquisitor Wars books. Squats were wiped out by a 'Nid splinter fleet.

sulla
21-05-2005, 22:50
Suggesting the Chaos Squats were all suddenly eaten by a Daemon? Don't give them ideas.

Bad batch of Chaos Beer? :evilgrin:

Sir_Turalyon
24-05-2005, 19:13
They have at the start of the Inquisitor Wars books. Squats were wiped out by a 'Nid splinter fleet.

Darkzeer said "properly" :). This does not explain stuff like Chaos Squats...

C. Langana
25-05-2005, 00:09
Aside from Zoatibix, the Zoats are actually a nice concept. Although they maybe a little far from what the nids are now, perhaps a revamp would be worthwile.
As i understand, each hivefleet has a set of designs which it can make gunk into, so it would be quite feasible for them to be resurrected. Though unlikely...

Gadicitus
27-05-2005, 21:57
I've only read about them in the RT rulebook and seen a few miniatures - but as far as I know, I'm not sure what the fuss was about. It seems that everyone is looking back with rose tinted spectacles - they didn't have a huge amount of models, the weren't exactly the most promising of ideas (mercenary 'nids?) and don't really fit into what GW's universe has become.

Of course, I'm not trying to poop in anyone's cereal - just curious as to why there's the love for these guys? At least squats had character!

Brimstone
28-05-2005, 07:32
GW will be releasing a article on lost hive fleets in Black Gobbbo which includes stuff on converting plastic Zoats, I refer you to this thread (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2782) for more information.

Twisted Ferret
28-05-2005, 07:49
Sure the stealers may use interspecies rape to get the job done
Wait, what? I thought they just morphed themselves or something...

HiveTrygon
29-05-2005, 16:11
I read the same thing from the dex, they mentioned however stone ships, not bio-ships. I figure they were zoats but they were considered slaves. Perhaps they could communicate with the tyranids enough to convince them not to eat them, possible? I doubt it but to me the whole language situation with communicating with any race seems most appropriate, thus the zoats were taken along for the ride after the tyranids ate their own gallaxy. Slaves because they had no choice but to follow and not intervein.

Now as for not fitting in fluff today, that I totaly disagree with. GW had a gem with the Zoats one of their more original concepts and scratched them. The exterminatus of planets to slow the fleet could be their reasoning. The tyranids realise that the imperium is destroying all their fresh food, thus the bring out the zoats to act as ambassadors stalling the thought of being eaten and secretly infesting most of the populace or infilltrating into the military forces with zoats before hitting hard, thus cutting off the chances to raise the alarm. A possible theory. Instead of using stealers which infiltrate and cause havock sending the becon from within the zoats could be a negotiating force that also aids stealers but in a way through communication with the prey.

Now mind you the Imperium does not take kindly to alien there are several places mentioned where fluff wise planets have been cut off (ignored) from communication for years, thus these places would probably be the ones hit in this way. This means would still warent zoats to reduce casualties to the major synapse and hive vessles. The lesser organisms would still require energy to spawn and thus any way of eating more and building less would in turn give the hive more energy to use. The zoats might be able to communicate this and thus keep their hides intact.

Mantus
29-05-2005, 17:28
Any more info on Zoats then what malika posted? From that little snippet they seem like a pretty ill contrived idea. Certainly nothing one could base a list on.

Inteligent nids is nothing new, but there are obviously fail safe mechanism to keep the creatures loyal to the fleet. Why would the fleet let these buggers lose? It just doesn't sit right with the nid concept.

What's with this whole "ultimate predator" bit too. Are zoats better then lyctors and stealers? Or are they simply more capable of addapting to their prey and enviroment? Can they use technology and do they have any of their own?

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-05-2005, 19:40
Wait, what? I thought they just morphed themselves or something...

No, they implant their eggs into other species, the eggs keep some genestealer DNA and take some of the host. A 5th generation genestealer that has only been implanted in humans looks almost exactly like a human.

Rabid Bunny 666
30-05-2005, 02:49
per se the genestealer cult

zoats are a good idea, but i'll have to see the rules for them, i hope they don't all have bio weapons

does anyone know what the little unarmoured termagaunts are? i don't know waht they were called, but they were odd

Jaq Draco
31-05-2005, 07:01
*eats some zoatibix*

After reading Space Marine, i was kinda partial to the Zoats, if this pans out at all, should be interesting to see what they do.

mind you i realise it will probably be in some alternate publication like the BG

wait a min didnt i see something about Zoats in a rumour post for a Black Gobbo upcomming edition

venusianfurs
31-05-2005, 11:44
does anyone know what the little unarmoured termagaunts are? i don't know waht they were called, but they were odd Hunter Slayers? Weedy creatures, looked like the lizard thing in Naked Lunch.

davidporter
09-07-2005, 00:57
In answer to "Is there more data on Zoats"...
Zoat History
Zoats are large, centauroid creatures. There are only 7 models ever sculpted, 4 for SciFi and 3 for Fantasy. They were sculpted by Nick Bibby. The 4 SciFi models weapons are described as:(names as in Chapter Approved)
Zoats RT /WD ad 97 /WD ad 145 /WD 145
Officer (Gharg) Power Glove/Power Fist /Power Glove /Power Fist
Bolt pistol /Flamer /Flamer /Flesh Ripper
Hero (Loorg) 2 Bolters /2 Bolt Guns/2 Fleshborers /2 Flesh Rippers
Trooper (Slaarsh) Bolter /Bolt Gun /Fleshborer /Flesh Ripper
Special Weapon Heavy Bolter/Multi-Melta/Missile Launcher/Barbed Strangler
Trooper (Sheaar)

There are several description of Zoats.
The oldest: Rules for 1st Edition – Rogue Trader, p.202 - Zoats
Zoats are the most common of Tyranid's many specially engineered slave races. Other slave races are little more than animals, mere blobs of protoplasm dedicated to cleaning and maintaining the Hive Fleets they are apart. Even hulking spacecraft which compose the Hive Fleet are in a sense races as they are grown and nurtured from a common, albeit much modified, biological stock. Spacecraft are mindless monstrosities and the vast majority of other slaves are so dedicated t a single purpose it would be inappropriate to think of them as creatures. Zoats, on the other hand, are completely independent living creatures much like their masters.
The Xenobiologers of the Administratum believe Zoats were created purely for combat. Tyranids, being creatures of space, suffer discomfort if they spend too long on a planet. Zoats, however, are stocky animals that feel quite at home in a variety of atmospheric and gravitational condition. Like Tyranids, Zoats are centauroid. Their two rear sets of limbs and are heavily built providing the creatures with its means of locomotion. The front limbs are manipulative organs of great strength and are used to wield a variety of weapons. Unlike Tyranids, Zoats will eat anything though they are largely subsist on a daily diet of three reconstituted protein based woven biscuits called Zoatibix. Zoats are common Hive Fleet inhabitants, often equaling the number of Tyranids themselves.
Although Zoats are a slave race, Zoats occupy important positions throughout the Hive Fleets and individual Zoats can gain great power. Rebellion from Tyranid control is not unknown, but is extremely rare. This is because Tyranids secrete a special slave-hormone which suppresses the Zoats' natural sense of independence. However, broken away from the Hive Fleets or have become lost during scouting or exploration missions. Without the inhibiting influence of Tyranids slave-hormone, Zoats are able to develop strong psychic powers. The path of independents Zoat civilization is incredibly diverse, with small groups isolated from each other on widely scattered planets.
Trooper: M7,WS5,BS3,S4,T5,W3,I5,A2,LD10,Int9,Cl9,WP9
Champion: M7,WS6,BS4,S5,T5,W3,I6,A2,LD10,Int9,Cl9,WP9
Hero: M7,WS7,BS5,S5,T6,W4,I7,A3,LD10,Int10,Cl10,WP10
Mighty Hero: M7,WS8,BS6,S5,T6,W5,I8,A4,LD10,Int10,Cl10,WP10
Zoats of the Hive fleet are never psychic. Independent Zoats are too diverse to include here in any detail, but a typical population might result in personalities having a 50% chance of psychic powers. Some populations are more psychic than others.
Organization. Zoats fight in military units of four. Their unit leaders are Zoats, although higher ranks and more technical positions are likely to be filled by Tyranids. Any Tryanids force must have at least half its numbers made up by Zoats.
Equipment. Zoats use standard Tyranid equipment. Zoat units and leaders can be equipped using the same charts as Tyranids.
Typical Squad. A typical squad comprises four individuals including 1 leader and, usually, 1 special weapon warrior. Clothing takes the form of a harness providing holster positions for various weapons. The basic weapon carried is a bolter, the special weapon is a heavy bolter. The officer also has a bolt pistol. This is exactly as for Tyranids.
Uniforms. Zoats wear the same harness as Tyranids
Weapon Generation. Generate weapons and equipment using the Tyranid charts.
Transports. Generate vehicles using the Tyranid charts.
Tactics. Zoats form the warrior-corps of the Hive Fleets and are found in the capacity of guards and police as well as fighting warriors. They are extremely potent fighters and fit well into the Tyranid ethos of the fast, hard strike.

The 2nd: Rules for Eldar Pirate armies – Chapter Approved, p.103
The Eldar Pirate may have 0-2 Zoat Terror Squads
Warriors: M7,WS5,BS3,S4,T5,W3,I5,A2,LD10,Int9,Cl9,WP9
Champion: M7,WS6,BS4,S5,T5,W3,I6,A2,LD10,Int9,Cl9,WP9
Basic Equipment (all models): Flak Armor, Communicator, & Respirator
Squad: 2 Warriors with Bolt Pistol, Bolt Gun, and Melta Bomb Grenades
1 Warrior with Bolt Pistol, MultiMelta with Targeter, and 4 Suspensors
1 Leader with Bolt Pistol, 2 Bolt Guns, and Melta Bomb Grenades
PV = 341 / Squad
Optional Zoat Squad Upgrade:Upgrade Leader by Substituting a Power Glove and Flamer for the 2 Bolt Guns for +13 pts per squad.

3rd: Rules for 1st Edition, Version B – White Dwarf 145, WD43 where they changed from mere muscle to highly intelligent.
Zoats share the six-limbed structure of Tyranid Warriors and are probably an ancient and highly evolved form of bio-construct created using Tyranid's own genetic material. Zoats were created as investigators, their main role being to understand and communicate with creatures outside the hive mind, assessing their value. Zoats are capable of assimilating information about languages and psychology with stunning speed, making rapid and accurate leaps in their comprehension of alien creatures. Due to this innate capability of understanding the subtlest nuances of facial and body language, Zoats are remarkably charismatic and enigmatic creatures who are able to convey more meaning in a look or gesture than a native can manage in a sentence.
Zoats are often used to subvert members of alien races to bring them under the control of the hivemind, leading them against those who try to resist the Tyranids. In keeping with this role Zoats are tremendously strong warriors with thick, horny hides, Driven forward by their four powerful legs, a charging Zoat is like a battering ram of hide and muscle - such that sheer speed and momentum keep it moving even if mortally wounded. In hand to hand combat a Zoat can crush most opponents in seconds - living proof to other races of the awesome power of the Tyranids.
0 to any number of Zoats at 50 points per Zoat
M6,WS5,BS3,S6,T6,W3,I5,A2,Ld/Cl9
No armour, Save: None, Move: 6”
Weapons:2 Flesh ripper pistols or a Flesh Ripper pistol & a Power Fist or a Strangler
Notes:Each Zoat allows you to include one band of Brood Brothers in your army. A Zoat armed with 2 pistols may fire both of them in the same turn with no penalty.

Rules for EPIC scale battles
EPIC STATS Speed/Range/Fire Power/Assault/Armor/Wounds/Special
Zoat 15cm /25cm /2 /4 /5+ /1

Various people have written their own rules for 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed, Space Crusade/Star Quest, and for Space Hulk. Some use the "fantasy" zoat that carries the "orb" to represent a jammer for the hive mind for Zoats who are not part of the Tyranid army. There are even rules for jamming the hive mind by getting the Zoats drunk.

Sephiroth
09-07-2005, 01:06
This may be a unaccepted request (I'm not sure if it would get Warseer in trouble with GW) but could anyone with a copy of Space Marine kindly write up the bit where the Zoats appear? I'm just curious as to what they were like, how they spoke, etc.

Skelmgurn
09-07-2005, 14:55
I liked the idea of a seemingly friendly ambassador manipulating people and hiding the immense horror of the tyranids until its too late. The latest Black gobbo has the "Colossus" (seems like unofficial updated Zoats), how to convert them and rules.
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/forgotten_fleet/t_collossus.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/forgotten_fleet/r_collossus.htm

Mortis_of_Midian
13-07-2005, 17:32
check this out:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/forgotten_fleet/r_collossus.htm

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tyranids/painting/forgotten_fleet/t_collossus.htm

not mentioned by name but we all know what they are ....

Xisor
13-07-2005, 17:36
Holy gadzooks! :eek:

Check the price of the Carnifex Sprue at the bottom of that first link! :eek: :eek:

$9999.00!!!!!

:eek:

Xisor

Jal'knock
13-07-2005, 17:43
Must be a huge sprue or some sort of uber fex! Or maybe a few hundred sprues were stuck together and now they're selling as one.... :rolleyes: