PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyan Artillery

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 12:27
I am thinking of starting a Imperial Guard army and have had a look at the models on the site, The Vostroyan's look like a good army but I wasn't sure weather I could make them into a Artillery division, So I ask, Would it work Fluff wise and what it be easy to Convert to make the Artillery crewmen into Vostroyan's.

Cheers.

Matt.

sigur
26-04-2009, 12:43
Would it work Fluff wise

Yes.

and what it be easy to Convert to make the Artillery crewmen into Vostroyan's.

If you meant to ask if it was easy to convert artillery crewmen into Vostroyans, it depends on what you consider "easy". I would say it would be very time consuming and you should use weapon teams crew and other Vostroyan miniatures and put them behind the Basilsk or whatever cannon.

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 14:06
Thanks mate!

Codsticker
26-04-2009, 15:23
I don't think that Vostroyan vehicle crews would look exactly like the regular infantry; you could probably get a way with converted Catatchans or, better yet, Valhallans with some minor conversions (green stuff furry bits for example, ;)) to pull it off.

getupandgo
26-04-2009, 15:31
Artillery crew almost always dress differently from front-line soldiers, so you could probably get away with just about any models, and then add some flair to their uniforms, or just match color schemes.

sneb
26-04-2009, 16:26
well using the basilisks crew for an example they are dressed exactly the same as front line infantry in the warhammer world:http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020008&prodId=prod1800004

But with vostroyans since their hats are so big I could see them wearing different uniforms to fit inside the tank

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 16:34
Does anybody know if the Vostroyans are multi-part or if they come all in one peice as if they are Multi-part I was thinking of using their heads for the Crew and some Green stuff over the armour...

WhiteKnight
26-04-2009, 16:35
Look at the picture of the general of the vostroyans, you could see in the right that there are soldiers that look like cadians. Just with more fur.

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 17:15
Look at the picture of the general of the vostroyans, you could see in the right that there are soldiers that look like cadians. Just with more fur.

Where is this picture??

WhiteKnight
26-04-2009, 18:43
Look in the 4th ed IG codex where it shows how to paint a model from the Cadian 8th.

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 19:02
I don't have the 4th Edition IG Codex so could someone get me a picture perhaps?

getupandgo
26-04-2009, 19:41
well using the basilisks crew for an example they are dressed exactly the same as front line infantry in the warhammer world:http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020008&prodId=prod1800004

But with vostroyans since their hats are so big I could see them wearing different uniforms to fit inside the tank

These are just generic cadians, they aren't any of the artillery crew models that were produced... There are at least 3 different kinds they've done... Old Cadian (now produced by forgeworld), uniform w/ side-caps, and catachan... plus all the forgeworld variants.

xerxeshavelock
26-04-2009, 20:27
I would use Fantasy artillery crew with some 40K bits on, as long as you're not using the feathers etc there should be some nice conversion opportunities.

Nabeshin1106
26-04-2009, 21:07
You could use the Mortar crew for Artillery. One guy is holding a shell (although it may be a little small) and the other is covering his ears for when the round goes off.

Grimtuff
26-04-2009, 22:38
Check out Light of the Emperor's Plog. He has some of the FW heavy mortars with Vostroyan crew IIRC. Though I forget which ones were used.

JCOLL
26-04-2009, 22:53
Light of the Emperor has some of the best Vostroyans on the net and has had to convert quite a bit to make his stuff work. Here is the link to his project log: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47919

It's very long and you'll find yourself drooling quite a few times so make sure to have a rag to mop up your face handy :)

You will find that Vostroyan arn't the easiest models to convert, but a few of the models are easy to cut in half to put in tanks. These being mostly the heavy weapons crews. There really arn't any suitable GW models that you can use instead of Vostroyans even with a little bit of green stuff work. The hats are easy to sculpt, but no one really wears jackets similar. You will find yourself using the same guys over and over again for certain projects, but that's not all that bad. In the end you will have an amazing Guard Army. It's pricey, but oooh so worth it.

monkeymatt
27-04-2009, 07:17
Well if all attempts to get a Tank crew together fail then I can turn to FW for: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dktankc.htm

Barbarossa
27-04-2009, 07:50
Does anybody know if the Vostroyans are multi-part or if they come all in one peice as if they are Multi-part I was thinking of using their heads for the Crew and some Green stuff over the armour...

They're all one piece.

monkeymatt
27-04-2009, 08:25
They're all one piece.

Ok cheers mate.

monkeymatt
02-05-2009, 15:00
Sorry for the bump but after seeing the Vostroyan's in White Dwarf had made me want to do this army more than ever, I'm going to hopefully get the Codex tomorrow and I'll have a look at it before making my final verdict on weather to do a Vostroyan or a Cadian army...Once I have made my choice I will buy some men from Wayland Games and make a blog, cheers for your help guys.