PDA

View Full Version : 1250pt Saphery Themed list

Cats Laughing
27-04-2009, 06:26
I'm sitting here with 1220 of my points spent and wondering what magic items to spend the final 30pts on. I'm not going to change the rest of the list, since there are certain things I want to try, but I'd like ideas on how to spend my last few points.

The List:

Mage L2, Seerstaff
Mage L2, Silver Wand
15 Swordmasters, full cmd, Banner of Sorcery
20 Seaguard, full cmd
10 Archers
10 Archers
2 RBTs

I was thinking about a magic banner for the Seaguard, but then I began to wonder if there might be some other options that would be good for me.

So what are the thoughts on spending my last 30pts

Desert Rain
27-04-2009, 07:54
Maybe a dispel scroll or either the War Banner or the Lion standard for your seaguard?

Cats Laughing
27-04-2009, 23:24
I was thinking the "Amulet of Light"(?), to give my swordmasters magic attacks, might come in handy against the local VC and DoC players, then that leaves me with 15pts.

Banner of Ellyrion doesn't seem worthwhile on a shooty unit.

What else might work?

danny7865
28-04-2009, 11:34
have you considered taking the jewel of the dusk, and upgrading the seerstaff for the starwood staff? That could help you dominate the magic phase.

Cats Laughing
28-04-2009, 21:38
Seerstaff could have been considered the item that won the game, as my opponent ended up being VC and I was able to pick my anti-undead/fear spells.

Anyway, I went with the Lion Banner, which helped alot when my opponent managed to dispell my ItP spell.

Seaguard mauled a 40 strong zombie unit (admittedly only 25-30ish by the time the got into combat) and killed off the Vampire(via combat results :)

Jewel of Dusk will be on the 3rd mage when I get more points.
Starwood seems too expensive for a level 2, imho (that's the +1 to casting roll one for 40pts, right?)

bob_the_small
28-04-2009, 21:47
Sea guard in a SAPHERY list?

Dragon Prince of Caledor
29-04-2009, 00:28
Dude, sacred incense for a mage that will go in the swordmasters...

Cats Laughing
29-04-2009, 02:45
I got swordmasters and a few mages. What's the problem?

You'll note, they aren't "Lothern" seaguard :)

(the truth is, the "upgrade" from spears to "spears w/bows" happened last minute, after I had already determined in my mind that the theme was Saphery and titled the thread)

No mage goes in the swordmasters, typically, as they're too slow to get into a decent spell casting position and/or hiding behind terrain.
Though that is a good suggestion for my probably upcoming bout with Dark Elves.

bob_the_small
29-04-2009, 06:32
I got swordmasters and a few mages. What's the problem?

You'll note, they aren't "Lothern" seaguard :)

(the truth is, the "upgrade" from spears to "spears w/bows" happened last minute, after I had already determined in my mind that the theme was Saphery and titled the thread)

No mage goes in the swordmasters, typically, as they're too slow to get into a decent spell casting position and/or hiding behind terrain.
Though that is a good suggestion for my probably upcoming bout with Dark Elves.

well, what wil happen when you play DE is your SM will get shot to pieces probably, and then the rest of your army wont match up

Taidron
30-04-2009, 18:09
What about finding a way to give the Ring of Fury to the Mage with the Silver Wand to help beef up your magic phase?

This would pout you 10 points over, which you could make up for by dropping 2 Sea Guard and running them 6x3. You would now have 12 points left to spend, which you could use to but the Seerstaff mage a Gem of Courage or a Talisman of Protection. Also you could add the Ring of Fury, drop one sea guard, and deploy a mage in with the sea guard to keep a unit size of 20.

Alternatively, you could also, add the Ring of Fury and drop 1 Sword Master, running them 7x2, but then I don't know what you would do with the extra 5 points.