PDA

View Full Version : The Von Castein ring

slayerofmen
27-04-2009, 07:48
howdy all, just got a quick question about the Von Castein ring as to the wording.

"The first time the wearer is slain roll a D6 at the end of the phase. On a 2+ the vampire is returned to 'life' with a single wound."

See, my question comes from the start of the of the sentence as it says the the first time the character is slain. so if the vampire is slain again can you use the ring again?

or is it a badly worded one use only item?

also

it refers to having to join an undead unit at the end of the phase or be destroyed this being the case if the vampire is on a dragon or the Abssyal terror, is that a valid "choice" for him to rejoin and thus not be unseated from his mount?

Frgt/10
27-04-2009, 07:54
its a one use item. you cant use it again if he dies again.
no you cant put him back on a mount, must be a unit. remounting isnt 'rejoining a unit' to my knowledge

Ultimate Life Form
27-04-2009, 08:04
This is an interesting fact!:D

So indeed the Vampires are like the only faction who can "voluntarily" dismount during battle?

CuddlyCuteKitten
27-04-2009, 08:08
I'd say a one use item only because it clearly says "the first time" which could indicate one use only while not having any mention of further uses.

"a unit usually consists of several models (infantry or cavalery) that has banded together but a single powerfull model like a lone character, a chariot or a dragon [...] are also considerd a unit".

There's no exception in the monster chapter either. Monsters have a front, the ONLY thing I could see as a problem is that they don't have a front rank since they aren't ranked units.

Edit: Monsterous mounts are monsters if they have more than 2 wounds, however they are considerd to be a unit together with their rider. However the monster reaction table seems to indicate that they continue to be units even without their riders since it doesn't mention anything about them ceasing to be units.

slayerofmen
27-04-2009, 08:24
This is an interesting fact!:D

So indeed the Vampires are like the only faction who can "voluntarily" dismount during battle?

lol, okay okay bad wording on my part i meant a valid choice as in when picking the friendly unit

W0lf
27-04-2009, 08:25
If it wasnt one useonly you might see it used... ever.

Ultimate Life Form
27-04-2009, 08:38
If it wasnt one useonly you might see it used... ever.

Hm. Letīs see. A ring that revives my general on a 2+ EVERY TIME he dies? Yes, Iīd definitely take it! Good bye crumbling!

Rupposed
27-04-2009, 10:10
How would your vampire being slain again count as the first time he was slain?

The Vampire Counts FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610175_Vampire_Counts_FAQ_2008-05_Edition.pdf) covers a couple of scenarios with the Carstein Ring and mounts. Summary: you cannot re-mount your monstrous mounts.

EvC
27-04-2009, 12:35
I'm fairly sure if you actually read the sentence you quoted you'd be able to work out the answer all by yourself, slayerofmen. And then the FAQ for the rest.

slayerofmen
27-04-2009, 12:40
@ EVC: i asked the question because of an argument between me and a mate about the wording overall. in that he was arguing that it was the first time every phase. i however believed it was just once only

theunwantedbeing
27-04-2009, 12:54
@ EVC: i asked the question because of an argument between me and a mate about the wording overall. in that he was arguing that it was the first time every phase. i however believed it was just once only

The problem here is neither of you really seemed to have bothered to read the rule you were arguing over.
To those of us just looking at the question it reads much like the following.

The sky is blue.
What colour is the sky?
I think it's red.

So you get an answer like EvC's and you feel a bit silly.

I feel the carstein ring is a waste really.
Simply as it's so expensive and takes away a lot of the protection he'de otherwise be able to afford.
That and if your general can be killed from full wounds once, he can be killed from 1 wound eve more easily.

My only encounter with the ring was when I killed the enemy general last. So the ring was worthless.

Aratus
27-04-2009, 12:57
Hm. Letīs see. A ring that revives my general on a 2+ EVERY TIME he dies? Yes, Iīd definitely take it! Good bye crumbling!

If your Lord is somewhere where he will be slain during the game then something went wrong.

Its a crap load of points that can be put into armor and ward saves that would work even better than a 2+ to come back.

And theres always that chance you roll a 1 and waste a whole lotta points :p

T10
27-04-2009, 13:19
howdy all, just got a quick question about the Von Castein ring as to the wording.

"The first time the wearer is slain roll a D6 at the end of the phase. On a 2+ the vampire is returned to 'life' with a single wound."

See, my question comes from the start of the of the sentence as it says the the first time the character is slain. so if the vampire is slain again can you use the ring again?

or is it a badly worded one use only item?

also

it refers to having to join an undead unit at the end of the phase or be destroyed this being the case if the vampire is on a dragon or the Abssyal terror, is that a valid "choice" for him to rejoin and thus not be unseated from his mount?

To your first question: No, you cannot use the ring again. I don't think the the item is badly worded, though: Its effect only come into play the first time the Vampire is slain, and even so requires a successful roll.

As to your second question, the VC FAQ pretty much answers that one.

-T10

EvC
27-04-2009, 14:02

Well then you need to work on getting your point across better... not here, but in real games. If you let people argue such BS with you, and you don't shoot them down clearly and concisely in such clear-cut and obvious cases, then they will take the **** elsewhere. Whether you are so abrupt as you do it, as I have been, is up to you...

Ultimate Life Form
27-04-2009, 20:59
As for the wording, I think the OP has a little point there. I also wondered why they worded it so wierdly. Remember what we have here:

By itīs wording, the Carsteinring is an item with a permanent effect (doesnīt say one use only) that works only once (says the first time).

Although itīs pretty obvious in this case, this kind of crappy writing is one of the things that make GW rules so annoying.

sulla
28-04-2009, 00:09
If it wasnt one useonly you might see it used... ever.Heh, I keep telling our VC player to take it vs daemons to lure the BT into his front ranks then...'poof!'... leave him stranded in combat with a unit of skellies with warbanner for the rest of the game. He's convinced he would roll a 1 though. Probably right too.

Dexter099
29-04-2009, 07:08
Only WoC can negate the Von Carstein ring, I believe, with a Chaos Lord carrying the Chaos Runeshield in base contact...

I'm waiting to try this out, especially with the Word of Pain and Aethersword to smite the Vampire Lord.

Nurgling Chieftain
29-04-2009, 07:28
Only WoC can negate the Von Carstein ring, I believe, with a Chaos Lord carrying the Chaos Runeshield in base contact...The Runeshield negates your opponent's magic weapon.

stripsteak
29-04-2009, 14:17
Only WoC can negate the Von Carstein ring, I believe, with a Chaos Lord carrying the Chaos Runeshield in base contact...

I'm waiting to try this out, especially with the Word of Pain and Aethersword to smite the Vampire Lord.

HE could null stone it...but thats a lot of points.

Keller
29-04-2009, 17:21

High Elves could destroy the ring with Vaul's Unmaking. Anyone w/ Metal Lore could stop the item from working for 1 turn, or detroy it permemantly on a 4+, but I've forgotten the name of that spell.

Gazak Blacktoof
29-04-2009, 17:46
As for the wording, I think the OP has a little point there. I also wondered why they worded it so wierdly. Remember what we have here:

By itīs wording, the Carsteinring is an item with a permanent effect (doesnīt say one use only) that works only once (says the first time).

Although itīs pretty obvious in this case, this kind of crappy writing is one of the things that make GW rules so annoying.

It could be worded in a different manner but its not confusing in the slightest.

GW do write rules that aren't clear, this isn't one of them.

Dexter099
30-04-2009, 04:20
Yes, it's a clear rule, and anyone can misconstrue most any rule any way they want if they so choose.

Yeah, Vaul's Unmaking can undo the Von Carstein ring. The only downside is that you have to cast it, and it takes about 4 PD.