PDA

View Full Version : The Von Castein ring does anyone take it?

slayerofmen
27-04-2009, 08:04
righto i assumed because this question is related to the building of an army list, its place was best here. but if I'm wrong i apologize and please relocate.

my question being do any of the VC players on warseer take the Von castein ring? if so

-how effective is it in saving your general and thus your army?

-is it worth the points?

Nicha11
27-04-2009, 08:06
\my question being do any of the VC players on warseer take the Von castein ring? \

Good god no, that item is pure C**p. ;)

Although i did once see an interesting use for it which would turn a unit of dire wolves into a powerful flanker.

Ultimate Life Form
27-04-2009, 08:17
Yes, it was better in 6th Edition, where it would confer a 4+ Ward Save.

I too do not intend to pay 75 pts for an item that does nothing except (maybe) granting one additional wound. I donīt plan on letting my Vampires die, so I donīt take it.

W0lf
27-04-2009, 08:19
Its a terribly thought out item. If it was a 5+ ward you might see it used. If it was a 4+ ward it would be a real competitor in the item section.

As it is the only time you will see it is on Vlad.. and it gives him a 4+ ward.

Keller
27-04-2009, 12:35
Generally, I think its a poor choice, since you don't really want your Vampire Lord to get killed in order to use the ring. I've toyed around with using it on a Vampire Lord, but haven't had a chance to play test it yet.

Vampire Lord - Lvl 3
Hunter in the Dark, Forbidden Lore, Flying Horror
Carstein Ring, Armor of Night

The vampire scouts, takes Fire or Death or some such damaging lore, and blasts the enemy with magic. The Armor of Night makes enemy shooting a -3 base to hit him, then if they get lucky he will likely rejoin my army. More of a fun-build than a competetive one, but would certainly make for a more memorable moment.