PDA

View Full Version : [WotR] Isengard 1000pts - help me choose

Rirekon
27-04-2009, 13:29
I'm still working out how to expand my 500pts of Isengard to 1000pts and I'm stuck with 4 options - please vote on which you feel is better.

- List A -
Saruman
Warband: 5 Companies /w Banner
Phalanx: 5 Companies /w Captain
Troll
Assault Ballista
Sharku's Warg Riders: 3 Companies

- List B -
Saruman
Warband: 3 Companies
Phalanx: 4 Companies /w Captain + Banner
Troll
Assault Ballista
Sharku's Warg Riders: 3 Companies

- List C -
Saruman
Warband: 3 Companies /w Captain
Warband: 3 Companies /w Captain
Phalanx: 4 Companies /w Banner
Troll
Assault Ballista
Warg Riders: 5 Companies

- List D -
Saruman
Warband: 3 Companies /w Captain + Banner
Warband: 3 Companies /w Captain + Banner
Phalanx: 4 Companies
Troll
Assault Ballista
Warg Riders: 3 Companies

I'm intentionally trying to build a list which uses a bit of everything - I find it's the best way to see how things work - but any other suggestions are welcome :)
Especially let me know whether I should swap Warbands/Phalanxs over at all.

Jorgen_CAB
27-04-2009, 13:49
I would vote for list A, you need some good strength units to both deal and receive some damage.

You would be better of with taking an Epic Hero such as Lurtz before all those captains. That is my opinion anyway...

Nu Fenix
27-04-2009, 14:37
I vote for C.

The reason is, in 1000 points I think they are appropriately sized units, and with three infantry units you are more versatile in where are on the board.

I would drop the Banner on the Phalanx however. It won't do much for you in my mind.

Whilst you don't get Fight 5 from him, how do you feel about using Thrydan Wolfsbane instead of a Captain? You still get Might 2 and Courage 4, but gain Epic Strike [which Jorgen will admit is useful ;)] and extra benefits incase you fight against Rohan.

Rirekon
28-04-2009, 17:17
So much for the poll, thanks for the feedback from you guys though :D

Combining that feedback, would something like this look better?

- List E -
Lurtz
Saruman
Phalanx: 4 Companies
Troll
Assault Ballista
Warg Riders: 3 Companies

Put the Epics in the Warbands to provide At The Double and Heroic Charge when needed

Jorgen_CAB
28-04-2009, 22:07
I really think that Saruman are a little to expensive for 1000p.

I would add a captain and Thrydan and some more troops. Buff up the units that you have. Two Assault ballistas will make that formation more reliable, so I would put some points there if possible.

Then I would try a game or two with or without Saruman, you could trade Lurtz instead if you really feel that you want Saruman.

Otherwise I think that the list should do OK.