PDA

View Full Version : Macragge PDF?

StraightSilver
27-04-2009, 15:01
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody knew if there was an official army badge / logo design for the Macragge Planetary Defence Force?

Or if not Macragge specifically then any PDF regiments in the Ultramar region?

If there isn't an official logo do you think the design would incorporate the Ultramarines inverted omega symbol?

Basically I am working on constructing a Macragge PDF regiment for my next army, and want them to tie in with my Ultramarines, and so thought about using a lot of the same iconography (inverted Omega symbol, anti tyranid banners etc).

However would it be considered bad form for a PDF regiment to incorporate Space marine iconography into their colour scheme?

Macragge and Ultramar are supposed to be the epitome of Imperial Culture and I thought it would be nice if they were tied in closely with the Ultramarines who act as their Lords and nobles.

TheBigBadWolf
27-04-2009, 15:18
Am I imagining it or do the Ultramarine homeworlds raise IG regiments even though they dont have too, but do it out of honour, was it in their IA article, anyways

AFAIK there is no offical logo for them but I dont think there would be anything wrong with them incorporating UM icons into their own, It is the symbol of the homeworld and would probably be incorporated into banners etc

StraightSilver
27-04-2009, 15:38
Actually you know I never thought to check my Imperial Armour books. Would Ultramarines be in Volume 2 or 4?

Yeah as far as I know Macragge and the Ultramar regions are meant to be an oasis of perfect society in the 40k universe.

Based on the hayday of classical Greece and Rome, it is meant to be a highly civilised sector, ruled over by the Ultramarines themselves.

Rather than Planetary Governors it is actually the Space Marines who rule the system if I remember correctly, which is very unusual and ironically goes against the Codex Astartes.

The Ultramar and in particular the Macragge PDF regiments are meant to be the best trained, best equipped PDF regiments in the Imperium, and are more like Guard Regiments than PDF regiments.

But I invisage them as looking up to and aspiring to be like their Astartes nobles, and so want toincorporate not only the Ultramarine colour scheme, but also a lot of their iconography.

However I don't want people to confuse them with a Marine army, or to be upset from a fluff point of view.

Not that that would particularly bother me, but if there is already an existing precedent then I would like to work that in so that my army is at least recognisable as I what I intend it to be.

Firaxin
27-04-2009, 15:38
Ultramar contains 700 very well equipped and trained PDF regiments, so basically, however you want their logo to look.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
27-04-2009, 17:20
I'd take the opposite view personally. They might be from macragge but they aren't Ultramarines. Bearing the chapter symbol is probably an honour of some sort not bestowed to common troopers.

Also I think the sight of Calgar marching through the streets with his marines, millions of Imperial citizens shouting his name, flanked by thousand of essentially IG troopers bearing all Ultramarine symbols would probably be intolerable to the Imperium's leaders.

Macragge and other planets would have their own iconography independant of the chapter. PDF regiments don't get out much and it would be difficult to justify their presence in any sort of narrative campaign etc outside of Ultramar.

So Imperial Guard regiments drafted from Ultramar with their own distinct iconography seems appropriate. Drafting from Ultramar is not strictly required, but perhaps a gesture of goodwill from the Ultramarines and a show of strength from the most prosperous region in the Imperium. I'd assume they would function as a well trained, well equipped combined arms force by Imperial Guard standards, given Ultramars resources and martial bent.

I don't think there really is any fluff for Ultramar regiments beyond the indication that they exist. I'm imagining them as having a vaguely ultramarines reminiscent white/blue winter camouflage.

Enkidu
27-04-2009, 17:35
I dunno, I could see it being a good mark of honor for some surviving units from the battles against the Tyranids. The ones who stood neck and neck with the Ultramarines in defense of their home worlds.
I don't think I would make it their 'symbol' but I could see it being a small pennant on a flag or something, kind of like a skull or laurel on a SM is supposed to be an honor badge.

Most standards have either pennants or lanyards denonating specific battles or campains anyway, this would be a good one I think!

Nilhouse
27-04-2009, 17:41
Also I think the sight of Calgar marching through the streets with his marines, millions of Imperial citizens shouting his name, flanked by thousand of essentially IG troopers bearing all Ultramarine symbols would probably be intolerable to the Imperium's leaders.

Just to play devil's advocate, there isn't a lot the Imperium could do about it if Calgar decided to dress his troopers in Ultramarine symbols. Given that he is the lord of the system, and 2/3 of the Space Marine chapters already consider him their leader (though not chapter master), Calgar probably has more weight to throw around than anyone else in the Imperium.

Enkidu
27-04-2009, 17:47
Not like they would know for awhile anyways.

I kind of doubt Macragge is very high on the =I= to exterminatus list.

The joke ofcourse being that everything is on the Inquisitions exterminatus list!

Gimp
27-04-2009, 18:29
Just to play devil's advocate, there isn't a lot the Imperium could do about it if Calgar decided to dress his troopers in Ultramarine symbols. Given that he is the lord of the system, and 2/3 of the Space Marine chapters already consider him their leader (though not chapter master), Calgar probably has more weight to throw around than anyone else in the Imperium.

Not to sure about that hey

Yes Calgar is one of the top leaders but there is also Dante and Grimnar who have both taken charge of ultramarine forces during the 2nd Armageddon War (Dante) and the 13th Black Crusaude (Grimnar)

ToXiK
28-04-2009, 09:27
i remember reading somewhere as the ultramarines are schooled from a young age 4 i think in the art of war via the codex it is the failed aspirants that go on to form both the PDF and guard units of the ultramarines hence why they are seen as some of the best as they have been trained and schooled since 4 years old