PDA

View Full Version : 2500 blood dragon vampires

shredshredxx
27-04-2009, 18:03
hey everybody,

i've been tweaking this list since i first started playing last summer. it's been doing rather well, especially given that i play against daemons more than any other armies combined.

i was going for a competitive, but not to the point of brie or gouda, and having been raised on final fantasy, i have a bit of a soft spot for ginormous weapons, hence the copious amounts of great weapons.

comments and criticisms welcomed and encouraged.

Characters

Vampire lord w/ avatar of death (great weapon), infinite hatred, walking death, beguile, flayed hauberk, crown of the damned, cursed book, black periapt
=395 points
this guy goes in the grave guard unit, raises hell. nigh unbeatable save for a bloodthirster, archaon, or star dragon helf lord on the challenge.

Vampire w/ avatar of death (great weapon), infinite hatred, walach’s bloody hauberk
=190 points
joins the skeletons with the banner of endless nightmare.

Vampire w/ dark acolyte, lord of the dead, staff of damnation, biting blade
=190 points
hides out behind the skeletons and buffs the hell out of them, then once they're stuck in, goes for a flank charge to help out.

Wight king w/ bsb, sword of kings, the gem of blood, shield, barded skeletal steed
this guy rolls with the black knights.

=170 points
Total=945 points

Core

Skeletons x15 w/ full command,
=140 points
Skeletons x14 w/ full command, banner of endless nightmare
=163 points
Zombies x20 w/ standard
=88 points
Dire wolves x 5
=40 points
Dire wolves x 5
=40 points
Total=496 points

Special

Grave guard x14 w/ full command, banner of hellfire, great weapons
=223 points
Black knights x5 w/ full command, barding, banner of the barrows
=225 points
Total=473 points

Rare

Blood knights w/ full command, royal standard of strigos
=360 points
Varghulf
=175 points
Total=535 points

Grand Total=2481 points

Ravenousone2
27-04-2009, 19:22
not sure how i feel about the list i think theres a definite problem w/ the vamp on foot behind the skellies w/ no armor a single magic user or any kind of shooting on a hill will take him down....you can always use the skellies as a bunker but i've learned my lesson on lone vamps w/out armor.Its alot less magic heavy than i tend to go for and usually when i take Black knights i dont take GG so i can take a 2nd unit and put a BSB in the blood knights w/ regen banner give Blood knight Standard bearer the 4+ ward v range (unless this is specifically for DoC) Ofcourse like i said if i take Blood Knights and Black knights my specials and rares are almost all cavalry or varghulfs.Best of luck w/ the list lemme know how it plays out.

shredshredxx
27-04-2009, 21:05
i used to put the wight king bsb in the blood knights with the regen banner,

but i decided it was a bit too cheesy.

fun, but pretty op.

a 2+ armour save is usually enough in most games.

i think you're definitely right about the lone vamp on foot.

i'll put him into the skeleton unit,

and mayhaps switch out his staff of damnation for the book of arkhan and some armour. cadaverous cuirass or enchanted shield or something.

thanks for the reply!!

100th post, nice. [:

Ravenousone2
27-04-2009, 22:17
that sounds alot better really i never leave home w/out Book of Arkhan. I've only played in shop tourneys but i know that under 7th edition rules you dont have to ask your opponent for permission to play special characters anymore.With that in mind if thats how it is at the GT's and such possibly look into Mannfred he's unbelieveable now. I usually Place 2 hills for deployment 1 on each side of the board in the middle and about as far back as maybe 6-8 inches from the rear of the board,then put a Unit of 5 Blood Knights SB and champ included.run mannfred the 5 BK's and a vamp BSB w/ the 2 OP banners its hard 2 draw the knights offline that far back and just let mannfred Magic missle things to death w/ his 3 MM's.thats really OP'ed though so prolly not what you're looking for.

Ravenousone2
27-04-2009, 22:19
and gratz on the 100th post :)

shredshredxx
27-04-2009, 23:50
as brutal and awesome as that sounds, it's really more magicky than what i'm going for, and i try to abstain from SCs. thanks for your congratulations and help [:

shredshredxx
29-04-2009, 06:59
i made some revisions,

namely, making that one vampire more combat-capable and not so susceptible to being raped.

Characters

Vampire lord w/ avatar of death (great weapon), infinite hatred, walking death, beguile, flayed hauberk, crown of the damned, cursed book, black periapt
=395 points
this guy goes in the grave guard unit, raises hell. nigh unbeatable save for a bloodthirster, archaon, or star dragon helf lord on the challenge.

Vampire w/ avatar of death (great weapon), infinite hatred, walach’s bloody hauberk
=190 points
joins the skeletons with the banner of endless nightmare.

Vampire w/ avatar of death (hw+shield), lord of the dead, the book of arkhan, sword of might

Wight king w/ bsb, sword of kings, the gem of blood, shield, barded skeletal steed
this guy rolls with the black knights.

=170 points
Total=945 points

Core

=140 points
Skeletons x14 w/ full command, banner of endless nightmare
=163 points
Zombies x20 w/ standard
=88 points
Dire wolves x 5
=40 points
Dire wolves x 5
=40 points
Total=496 points

Special

Grave guard x14 w/ full command, banner of hellfire, great weapons
=223 points
Black knights x5 w/ full command, barding, banner of the barrows
=225 points
Total=473 points

Rare

Blood knights x5 w/ full command, royal standard of strigos
=360 points
Varghulf
=175 points
Total=535 points

Grand Total=2481 points

shredshredxx
30-04-2009, 05:49
bump.

come one guys.

so many views, and only one of you comments??

help me out!!

[:

perrin23860
30-04-2009, 13:38
seems to me that you have spent too many points simply to get great weapons. a 20 pt great weapon is pricey. personally i would use those points to get dread knight, and you could drop the magic armor selections on both of your vamps. you'd still be strength 7 when charging...

this would save around 40 pts that could be invested into a decent magic item or more rank and file troops, which i believe you are lacking in. with only one vamp capable of raising your skeletons beyond starting numbers, a decent opponent could stop that effect with not too much difficulty.

also, i see standards in zombie units as a waste and free victory points for your opponent...

Time of Madness
30-04-2009, 14:07
Hey I just posted a some what similar blood dragon list. http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196629

As far as your list goes I think you have spent too many points on upgrades that are not needed. I'll start at the top and work my way through.

The vamp lord has some weird options. Why take flayed hauberk and the crown of the damned....You make yourself stupid and are spending a lot of points on defense. Maybe take the Bloody Hauberk instead. Beguile isn't a great option in my opinion unless you take dark majesty.

Your 2nd vamp you placed the bloody hauberk on a T4 2W vamp...Why spend 45pts for only a 5+ ward save for 2 wounds....This guy would be better off with the flayed hauberk.

You gave your 3rd vamp the book..but you hardly have any magic to support it. In and offensive style list like you are playing you'd be better off with the helm of commandment.

The wight is a solid choice and helps the black knights out.

I think your units of skeletons are too small. With little to no magic you are going to have a heck of a time getting them bigger.

The grave guard are too small as well. You should start off with at least 19.

I'd take the musicians off on the knight units to save some points.

I think I'd drop the varghulf in favour of bulking out your 3 units of skeletons/grave guard.

Hope that helps.

Time of Madness

Dark_Ritualz
30-04-2009, 18:23
hmm, i think ive seen the dude on ure pic before.... ure from sweden and hang out at gw gothenburg and ure name is philip right? cause then i know u XD

Zikan
30-04-2009, 23:39
Why the Banner of Endless Nightmare over just a simple warbanner? It seems the warbanner is always +1 CR whereas you need to have the 4 ranks to benefit from the extra one provided by the banner.

shredshredxx
01-05-2009, 04:52
now that i think about it,

dropping the varghulf for more grave guard and skeletons sounds like an excellent idea.

so thanks for that, guys.

i know 20 points is a bit much,

but strength 7 every turn is a truly frightening concept to anyone,

and the ominous knowledge that i'm almost always wounding on 2's and raping all armour saves is quite an effective psychological weapon.

not to mention great weapons are totally brutal.

i know i don't have all that much magic, but i figure i can at least get an invocation or single van hel's off, which is all i'm really after.

this is a blood dragon-themed list, after all. get that necrarch business out of here.

unfortunately, i'm not from sweden. i live in phoenix, arizona, and my name's max.

/:

and finally, i was under the impression that the war banner listed in the magic items page was no different than making a unit the bsb.

is it a seperate magic banner??

because that'd be awesome.

thanks for the feedback guys, i genuinely appreciate it.

ZombieMans
01-05-2009, 14:27
Yes, it is seperate. You can throw a Warbanner on a unit that also has the BSB on it, and get a grand total of +3 combat rez from all of your combined banners/standards in that unit.

shredshredxx
02-05-2009, 01:03
revised list!!

i still had room for the varghulf [:

Characters

=395 points
=190 points
Vampire w/ avatar of death(hw+shield), lord of the dead, enchanted shield, book of arkhan
=190 points
=170 points

Total=945 points

Core

=172 points
Skeletons x14 w/ full command, war banner
=197 points
Zombies x20
=80 points
Dire wolves x 5
=40 points
Dire wolves x 5