PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of Dark Elves for fun/casual play

bob_the_small
27-04-2009, 18:19
Well, here is my 2000pt DE list for fun play...(sort of)

2000 Pts - Dark Elves

Dreadlord - 211 Pts
Great Weapon
Armor of Darkness
Ring of Darkness

Master (Battle Standard Bearer) - 165 Pts
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Battle Standard Bearer
Sword of Might
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress - 150 Pts
2 Dispel Scrolls

Sorceress - 150 Pts
2 Dispel Scrolls

19 Dark Elf Warriors - 173 Pts
Full Command
War Banner ( BSB goes here)

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - 100 Pts

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - 100 Pts

17 Black Guard - 316 Pts
Full Command
Ring of Hotek
Banner of Hag Graef (Lord Goes here)

5 Cold One Knights - 175 Pts
Full Command

5 Shades - 80 Pts

War Hydra - 175 Pts

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100 Pts

Total Cost: 1995

LKHERO
27-04-2009, 20:17
Yeah this list is hysterically fun to play against..

And you have too many scrolls. Drop one of the scroll caddies for more Shades.

bob_the_small
27-04-2009, 20:30
2000 Pts - Dark Elves

Dreadlord - 211 Pts
Great Weapon
Armor of Darkness
Ring of Darkness

Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Battle Standard Bearer
Sword of Might
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress - 150 Pts
2 Dispel Scrolls

Full Command

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - 110 Pts
Shields

Shields

17 Black Guard - 316 Pts
Full Command
Ring of Hotek

5 Cold One Knights - 210 Pts
Full Command
Standard of Slaughter

5 Shades - 90 Pts
Great Weapons

5 Shades - 90 Pts
Great Weapons

War Hydra - 175 Pts

With upgrades, minus sorceress, but now i have only 3 dispel dice....

Time of Madness
27-04-2009, 20:34
Fun/Casual play?

You have all the items people hate playing against

- Pendant *Check
- Black Guard with ASF banner *Check
- Black Guard with Hotek *Check
- Hydra *Check

To make it more fun to play against I'd drop the scroll caddy all together. The ring is usually enough on it's own. That gives you another 150pts to play with.
Time of Madness

MTUCache
Seriously... this is not even close to a "fun" list. You'd be taking some serious comp hits at a competitive tournament with this.

- Pendant of Cheese
- Hydra/RBT/RBT rares
- BG/ASF/RoH
- 4DD/4 Scrolls

About the only three things that look relatively "soft" about this list are:
- No Dark Riders (granted, a very minor concession)
- No monster/lord. (again, minor, when you consider you've already got your terror causer)
- You spent 300 points on magic "defense" instead of 350 points on a heavier magic phase.

Now, for a "competitive" list? I'd say you're pretty much fielding the standard build at the moment. I personally would rather have DRs than RXBs, but that's just me. Everything else is stock-standard hard-core DE tournament list.

LKHERO
Ring of Hotek should be all you need really :) Most Dark Elf armies don't even have a Scroll caddy.

The entire army moves up and shoots.. so Magic shouldn't be a problem. If your opponent casts anything at you within 12" of the Ring with 3 die, he has a 44% to miscast.

bob_the_small
27-04-2009, 20:38
Seriously... this is not even close to a "fun" list. You'd be taking some serious comp hits at a competitive tournament with this.

- Pendant of Cheese
- Hydra/RBT/RBT rares
- BG/ASF/RoH
- 4DD/4 Scrolls

About the only three things that look relatively "soft" about this list are:
- No Dark Riders (granted, a very minor concession)
- No monster/lord. (again, minor, when you consider you've already got your terror causer)
- You spent 300 points on magic "defense" instead of 350 points on a heavier magic phase.

Now, for a "competitive" list? I'd say you're pretty much fielding the standard build at the moment. I personally would rather have DRs than RXBs, but that's just me. Everything else is stock-standard hard-core DE tournament list.

Well TBH, this is a fun list for me, I normally field a dragon, or a gunline or cavalry spam so....

mikepm07
28-04-2009, 03:11
Well TBH, this is a fun list for me, I normally field a dragon, or a gunline or cavalry spam so....

Well aren't you being generous!

Nothing wrong with the list, just don't try to justify it to yourself by saying its either fun or casual.

Its neither.

amade0
29-04-2009, 18:03
Whine whine hydra,hotek, banner of hag graef whine..... bet all the moaners play vampire counts,daemons or mortals with **** loads of chaos knights with ward saves.

Yes this time the dark elves have a competitive army book.....apart from the hydra the army is still all T3, executioners are still crap versions of swordmasters, dark elf spears are still crap versions of high elf spears, even with the banner of hag graef black guard are still crap versions of phoenix guard.

Every army has good combinations and a decent player will find a way around their enemies strengths.

Stop moaning about 1 hydra in 2000pts if this was competitive there would be 2.

LKHERO
29-04-2009, 18:25
Whine whine hydra,hotek, banner of hag graef whine..... bet all the moaners play vampire counts,daemons or mortals with **** loads of chaos knights with ward saves.

Yes this time the dark elves have a competitive army book.....apart from the hydra the army is still all T3, executioners are still crap versions of swordmasters, dark elf spears are still crap versions of high elf spears, even with the banner of hag graef black guard are still crap versions of phoenix guard.

Every army has good combinations and a decent player will find a way around their enemies strengths.

Stop moaning about 1 hydra in 2000pts if this was competitive there would be 2.

lol.

You entertain me.

amade0
29-04-2009, 19:21
lol.

You entertain me.

:):):)

cheers dude

zak
30-04-2009, 00:06
I take it your last to one post about DE's was a very late April fools joke as it was extremely funny. DE spearmen at 6pts with hatred are not crap versions of HE spearman at all. Black Guard are possibly the best elites in the game. They are 2 points cheaper than Phoenix Guard, have eternal hatred, 2 attacks and are stubborn. Admittedly PG will survive longer, but thats about it. The Black Guard are just so much better and CHEAPER! Add in a cheap banner and they also ASF!!!

Back on topic.

Your list is still very competetive and as others have stated it's neither fun nor casual compared to what most would think as a casual/fun list, bt I suppose it all depends on perspective. If you take even harder lists then you opponents may view this as a fun/casual list. I suppose they will decide that.

Dark14
30-04-2009, 00:11
its comped not cheesy and yes DE spears are crappy HE i play both armies hatred means nothing if your all dead.

zak
30-04-2009, 00:25
So what makes HE spears so much better. It certainly isn't the cost! They are still s3 and t3. They may attack in 3 ranks when charged, but they can't wound for toffee. DE spearmen can be used as sorceress fodder or as small bait units. HE's are just too expensive for this.

W0lf
30-04-2009, 00:34

Probably not. Why whine when you can beat it?

Just lol @ you.

T3 is not a weakness, plenty of armys are T3.

- Executioners suck.. great but they are never used so ill ignore that.
- DE spears are better then HE spears. 2 pts less, hatred and M5 anway. HE spearmen suck
- Black guard are nothing like Phoneix guard...

They have I6 + Halberds like PG
2 Attacks and effectivly better WS like sowrdmasters
Stbbourn like white lions with the boon of immune to psy.

They are infact a hybrid of the 3 untis and cost less... hmmm

DE are in everyway better then HE. Anything HE do you can bet your **** DE do it better.

Cats Laughing
30-04-2009, 01:34
HE can cast Lore of Life better than DE can

Yay!

(wait, that's it...)

sob

Cousteau
01-05-2009, 06:32
2000 Pts - Dark Elves

Dreadlord - 211 Pts
Great Weapon
Armor of Darkness
Ring of Darkness

Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Battle Standard Bearer
Sword of Might
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress - 150 Pts
2 Dispel Scrolls

Full Command

Shields

Shields

17 Black Guard - 316 Pts
Full Command
Ring of Hotek

5 Cold One Knights - 210 Pts
Full Command
Standard of Slaughter

5 Shades - 90 Pts
Great Weapons

5 Shades - 90 Pts
Great Weapons

War Hydra - 175 Pts

With upgrades, minus sorceress, but now i have only 3 dispel dice....

-Your magic defense is pretty low here. The Ring of Hotek really isn't everything that this echo chamber would have you think, a lot of magic doesn't need to directly target your units to be dangerous. Not to mention the tactical handicap that comes with keeping your entire army shuffling next to each other within a bubble. Frankly, I'd take it out, maybe find room for the Seal of Ghrond on your lord, and get a little magic offense. Those two sorceresses you had before would be much better if you just upgraded them to level 2.

-The Black Guard don't need the lord in them. To round them out as a unit, give the champion Soulrender or Crimson Death--that should help them if they get charged by tough, armored targets. Having your Lord in your Black Guard seems like too many points in one unit that can be avoided or lead astray. You could also shave a couple BG if you wanted, if they're protected from shooting they don't rely on numbers for success. As a Dark Elf, you don't really want to be staying in combats too long.

-Instead, you could try giving the lord a Cold One and put him with the Cold One Knights--he'd make them much more dangerous. Standard of Slaughter is good.

-I like the BSB in the spearmen, you might want a couple more spearmen to ensure you get your combat res. though. Don't feel bad about taking the Pendant, god forbid our thousands of years old characters that have somehow remained as tough as the average joe from Altdorf should get some survivability.

-I feel like you could use another infantry unit--spearmen, or corsairs. Maybe drop some crossbowmen?

-You have no Dark Riders or Harpies. I know they're one of those things everyone takes, but light speed is always useful.

-People are going to give you **** for having a Hydra. You're just going to have to weigh what's more important to you: having a big scary monster that's the only tough thing in a frail army, or not having to deal with opponents saying "well, you took a Hydra" no matter what happens. 2 Chariots seem like they'd fulfill the role you want the Hydra for (fast, great charge, fear causing, pretty tough), cost only 25 points more, and will save you a lot of ****-talk. Plus they get to take pot-shots!

amade0
01-05-2009, 15:05
So what makes HE spears so much better. It certainly isn't the cost! They are still s3 and t3. They may attack in 3 ranks when charged, but they can't wound for toffee. DE spearmen can be used as sorceress fodder or as small bait units. HE's are just too expensive for this.

you answered your own question.....
they can use 3 ranks when charged and asf..... thats a pretty big bonus as already said hatred means nothing if ur dead.

amade0
01-05-2009, 15:17
Probably not. Why whine when you can beat it?

Just lol @ you.

T3 is not a weakness, plenty of armys are T3.

- Executioners suck.. great but they are never used so ill ignore that.
- DE spears are better then HE spears. 2 pts less, hatred and M5 anway. HE spearmen suck
- Black guard are nothing like Phoneix guard...

They have I6 + Halberds like PG
2 Attacks and effectivly better WS like sowrdmasters
Stbbourn like white lions with the boon of immune to psy.

They are infact a hybrid of the 3 untis and cost less... hmmm

DE are in everyway better then HE. Anything HE do you can bet your **** DE do it better.

well you play tzeentch chaos mortals, real under powered army there.... ur knights have ward saves?

u have left out the fact that pg are also stubborn and have a 4+ ward which makes them better than bg as it means some of them will make it into combat,
give 15 bg the asf banner and they now cost more than pg
they are not better ws "like swordmasters" their ws5 like PG where as SM are ws 6

Lex
01-05-2009, 15:24
u have left out the fact that pg are also stubborn and have a 4+ ward which makes them better than bg as it means some of them will make it into combat,
they are not better ws "like swordmasters" their ws5 where as SM are ws 5 like PG

PG aren't stubborn, they cause fear.

amade0
01-05-2009, 15:34
HE can cast Lore of Life better than DE can

Yay!

(wait, that's it...)

sob

are you saying HE dont have access to a decent magic phase?.... yeah having drain magic and the vortex thingy must really mess with ur games.

In a HE v DE game yes DE have an unfair advantage due to all the re-rolls but against other races i dont thing HE players have much to moan about.

At the end of the day anyone can make a broken list from pretty much any army book, this list has powerful elements but a list doesnt have to be full of ***** choices to make it 'fun'

LKHERO
01-05-2009, 16:41
well you play tzeentch chaos mortals, real under powered army there.... ur knights have ward saves?

they are not better ws "like swordmasters" their ws5 where as SM are ws 5 like PG

PG has 1 attack with no re-rolls and aren't Stubborn...

LKHERO
01-05-2009, 16:42
are you saying HE dont have access to a decent magic phase?.... yeah having drain magic and the vortex thingy must really mess with ur games.

In a HE v DE game yes DE have an unfair advantage due to all the re-rolls but against other races i dont thing HE players have much to moan about.

At the end of the day anyone can make a broken list from pretty much any army book, this list has powerful elements but a list doesnt have to be full of ***** choices to make it 'fun'

When's the last time someone took a Vortex Shard against you in a game? That game must of been pro sauce.

amade0
01-05-2009, 16:50
ok their not stubborn but they still asf, cause fear, have a decent mundane and the same ward save as my dreadlord

2 days ago was the last time the vortex shard was used against me i lost a lvl2 to it as id just used power of darkness generated 4 new dice he ended the phase with the shard and i took 3 wounds:mad: is that within the rules?

LKHERO
01-05-2009, 17:57
Yes.. it's valid.. but the Vortex Shard costs 75 points and its 1 use only.

It's probably one of the most cost ineffective things in the entire book.

amade0
01-05-2009, 18:26
still made its points back+more chewing up 185pts of lvl2
But yeah i can see how it would be crap against most races

Monsterzonk
04-05-2009, 08:09
ok their not stubborn but they still asf, cause fear, have a decent mundane and the same ward save as my dreadlord

2 days ago was the last time the vortex shard was used against me i lost a lvl2 to it as id just used power of darkness generated 4 new dice he ended the phase with the shard and i took 3 wounds:mad: is that within the rules?

Sorry if this is a little late, but actually, no, he can't do that. The Vortex Shard has to be used "at the beginning of the Magic Phase", so if you already had cast a spell, that moment would be gone, and he couldn't have used the Shard until the beginning of the next Magic Phase...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Rubicon
12-05-2009, 18:43
What makes me laugh, between the name calling and redundant comparison of PG and BG, is that the OP stopped posting ages ago...

bob_the_small
12-05-2009, 21:47
What makes me laugh, between the name calling and redundant comparison of PG and BG, is that the OP stopped posting ages ago...

Funny you should say that....

limkopi
13-05-2009, 07:51
I would say it's quite ok because the pendant is on the bsb rather than the lord.