PDA

View Full Version : Whats best to support a sorceress on dragon?

Mullitron
27-04-2009, 19:16
Thinking of starting a dark elf force and tempted to go for a lvl four caster on dragon. Something like:

Supreme Sorceress,
Level 4,
Black Dragon,
Pendant,
Focus Familiar,

Any suggestions what kind of list supports this lord choice? An all cavalry force? Or a mix of shooting and cavalry? Any suggestions would be great aswell as any advice on how to use a lvl 4 caster on dragon or the best item selection for one? Thanks for any help.

PeG
27-04-2009, 19:34
Why would you want to have a sorceress on a dragon? Better with dagger and in a unit of extra PD or possibly mounted on something that is not supposed to be in combat. If you really want to have your T3 lord in combat I would go for inverse ward save and as much armour as possible. Not very suitable for a sorceress though.

bob_the_small
27-04-2009, 20:36
Please never go for a sorceress dragon combo!

Go for a dreadlord on dragon, level 2 on DP with focus familiar wirth harpy skirmish screen and 2 more level 2's... then 2 RBT, 2x10 xbowmen, dark riders, CoK, hydra, shades and whatever else...

sulla
28-04-2009, 00:01
Why would you want to have a sorceress on a dragon? Better with dagger and in a unit of extra PD or possibly mounted on something that is not supposed to be in combat. If you really want to have your T3 lord in combat I would go for inverse ward save and as much armour as possible. Not very suitable for a sorceress though.

Because, with a sorceress on a dragon;
1) she doesn't need to be the general (so your flying villain doesn't fly away with all of the general's Ld bubble),
2) The dragon can breathe so she can be spreading terror and panic (as well as Ld tests to charge) besides just casting,
3) with the pendant and focus familiar, she can still cast in combat and is not a liability when fighting so can engage softer units,
4)Unlike the dagger example, she is in range to cast every spell in her inventory from very early in the game.

That's why. Not my cup of tea because I play vs very magic heavy opponents so I imagine my magic phase would get fairly negated.

But if I did play her, I would support her with a master on cold one in the centre of the army as the general, and with a dagger/scroll lvl2 in some spears. That should create enough magic to be competitive. Also, a pair of harpy units near her to screw with potential enemy charges or run down panicking units.

You other main focus should be artillery hunters. Losing the dragon or her can nerf your game pretty well so any army based around 700 pts of large target should be willing to spend points on artillery hunters and/or mage hunters.

I'd probably be tempted to play an avoidance army too, rather than a combat one.

sroblin
28-04-2009, 01:28
Why would you want to have a sorceress on a dragon?

Because you can have the sorceress from Sleeping Beauty and the Black Dragon she shapeshifts into.

Seriously it seems kind of fun, and with the Pendant as an option, much more viable than it is for most army lists. Not strictly very efficient, but not useles either, and you can still make a snack of annoying support units or just toast or scare them away. Still does suffer from the so-many-eggs in one basket problem, same as any combat lord on a dragon though.