PDA

View Full Version : New Dwarf Mini question

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 14:51
Anyone else that was lucky enough to pick up the new dwarf army box started putting them together yet? I pulled out a box of the new warriors last night and I have to say that I am unimpressed to say the least. Why oh why did they decide to mold them that way? Am I missing something here? I put together 300+ Skaven and 150+ Wood elves in the last year and both were much better done.

For anyone who hasn't seen the sprues yet, instead of just being molded waist down and waist up they are 2 pieces that connect in the middle of the back. Piece 1 is the head and chest, piece 2 is the back and legs, it is sort of hard to explain. I could post a picture if it doesn't violate any rules.

Maybe I got a bad box or something, at least I hope so. Models that have HW+S won't be too bad as I can skip doing something about the gap under the beards, but there is still a gap behind the head where the 2 pieces meet that will need to be GS'd. Models with GW's however are going to take forever to fix with GS.

Has anyone else noticed this at all? Please tell me I just got a bad mold or something.

Stouty
20-12-2005, 14:57
Nope, I'm afraid not, even if you look at the pictures in the new army book you can see gaps. It's the same for thunderers and quarellers to. I'm mighty pissed of, but I should be able to get around it.

Big dissapointment, though they still look good when painted up and put in regiments, but closer inspection reveals all manner of flaws.

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 15:04
:wtf: Oh well, good thing I just bought some new GS I guess.

Crube
20-12-2005, 15:06
heh, i just bought some too, for my treeman

may have to get some more now...just as soon as i finish these Wood Elves (my dwarrf army box is STILL in its shrink wrap...)

Stouty
20-12-2005, 15:07
Aye, I put on that little face when I opened the box to.

Hell, as long as I get to beat up the local wood elf players I'm sure I'll get over it. :evilgrin:

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 15:09
Hell, as long as I get to beat up the local wood elf players I'm sure I'll get over it.

Heh, good point, I feel better already... Thanks Stouty:evilgrin:

Blackadder
20-12-2005, 17:16
Anyone else that was lucky enough to pick up the new dwarf army box started putting them together yet? I pulled out a box of the new warriors last night and I have to say that I am unimpressed to say the least. Why oh why did they decide to mold them that way? Am I missing something here? I put together 300+ Skaven and 150+ Wood elves in the last year and both were much better done.

For anyone who hasn't seen the sprues yet, instead of just being molded waist down and waist up they are 2 pieces that connect in the middle of the back. Piece 1 is the head and chest, piece 2 is the back and legs, it is sort of hard to explain.

Do you have taken a closer look at assambled old Dwarven plastics? One of the reasons they do not look good is their thin beard. This was needed to make models with seperate heads. I think the new sollution with the single head/chest piece is a better option. I have been told the Chaos Warriors have the same head/chest combo.

athamas
20-12-2005, 18:05
nope chaos warrirs are multi part, front, back, arms and head...

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 18:48
I'll agree that the beards a lot more full now, and well modeled. However, I can't help but think there might have been a better way to go about it. As it stands with this iteration, there is a quite noticable gap at the waist, behind the head and under both arms. If you only use the longbeards, or only HW+S you can eliminate one of those, but the rest are going to require some GS work.

m1s1n
20-12-2005, 18:51
Most metal and large models require some work with greenstuff. Filling gaps is pretty minor work as I see it. If it really is a huge problem don't buy anymore of the new product and just use the old models instead.

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 19:03
It is not so much that it is a huge problem, other than perception. I have had probably 1000 friggen skaven models all told over the years, and the latest incarnation were a many-fold improvement. Added to the fact that they required little if ANY modification with GS to appear gapless. So, if anything, the problem stems from my mistaken expectation that new = improved.

Stouty
20-12-2005, 19:11
Indeed. Damn you muzzle for expecting newer more expensive products to be better! (However that said I still much prefer these to the old dwarfs, the only reason I haven't had a dwarf army is because of the old ham hands)

Muzzle
20-12-2005, 19:24
Yea, very true. Too bad we still have to use the old ironbreakers and hammerers.