PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Dogs of War

Templar47
28-04-2009, 00:36
Hey guys. Well after a few months of letting my army gather dust, its time to unleash the dogs of war once again. Got a battle tomorrow against Bretonnia so tell me what you guys what you think:

*Mercenary General:
-w/sword of might, pistol, hvy. armor, shield, barded warhorse

Cheap but effective, get 4 S5 attacks and has a 2+ save.

*Paymaster:
-w/gw, brace of pistols, hvy. armor, enchanted shield

Also cheap, but proven many times to be effective in CC and is centered in the middle of the battle line to help out with leadership.

*Wizard #1:
-w/level 2, dispel scroll, lore of Fire

*Wizard #2:
-w/level 2, dispel scroll, lore of metal

Both good for the extra magic defense and also have a good chance of getting spells off. I always have one take the lore of fire and the other one usually takes either fire, metal, light, or shadows.

*(24x)Pikemen: (6x4 formation)
w/full command, hvy. armor

-w/full command, hvy. armor

Basic infantry. Very intimidating, look awesome on the board, and can dish out 25 S3 attacks when charged, S4 against cavalry. Of course they are expensive and are only WS3, but they still can get the job done if used correctly.

*(23x)Riccos Republican Guard: (6x4 formation)
-w/full command

Probably the best pikemen unit, these guys do great in CC with WS4, can dish out a lot of attacks, and come with a hero to boot. Though weak against missile fire, they can still dish the hurt and if used correctly, can be awesome unit and these guys can easily protect the paymaster from attacks.

*(12x)Crossbowmen:
-w/hw, crossbows

My standard range unit. Good for taking out light cavalry and firing on other long range units the enemy may have.

*(14x)Duelists:
-w/hw, pistols

*(14x)Duelists:
-w/hw, pistols

Guarding the flanks, these guys pack a punch when shooting and being skirmishers makes them all that harder to hit. Mages go with them and so far this has worked out very well.

*(5x)Volands Ventors:
-w/full command

My only heavy cavalry unit, these guys pretty much go where the fight is the thickest and destroy everything in there path. General goes with them.

*(5x)Light Cavalry:
-w/spears, shields

*(5x)Light Cavalry:
-w/spears, shields

These guys do what every other light cavalry do. Hold the flanks, war-machine hunt, and disrupt enemy formations.

*Cannon

*Cannon

[I]My only artillery. Have done fairly well in my experience and have only blown up once each!

sephiroth87
28-04-2009, 05:53
Am I reading that you have 2 cannons and a hot pot in the same list? If so, I thought they were all rares. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the list goes, those pikes should eat some bretonnian lances. I really like the list and I think it would do well against most lists, not just the Brets. They'll just hurt knights the most.

Templar47
28-04-2009, 06:08
Yeah I just noticed that, so i switched it out the hot pot for some more dueliests. They can pack a punch and more is better :)

RossS
28-04-2009, 07:04
Hey guys. Well after a few months of letting my army gather dust, its time to unleash the dogs of war once again. Got a battle tomorrow against Bretonnia so tell me what you guys what you think:

*Mercenary General:
-w/sword of might, pistol, hvy. armor, shield, barded warhorse

Cheap but effective, get 4 S5 attacks and has a 2+ save.

*Paymaster:
-w/gw, brace of pistols, hvy. armor, enchanted shield

Also cheap, but proven many times to be effective in CC and is centered in the middle of the battle line to help out with leadership.

*Wizard #1:
-w/level 2, dispel scroll, lore of Fire

*Wizard #2:
-w/level 2, dispel scroll, lore of metal

Both good for the extra magic defense and also have a good chance of getting spells off. I always have one take the lore of fire and the other one usually takes either fire, metal, light, or shadows.

w/full command, hvy. armor

-w/full command, hvy. armor

Basic infantry. Very intimidating, look awesome on the board, and can dish out 25 S3 attacks when charged, S4 against cavalry. Of course they are expensive and are only WS3, but they still can get the job done if used correctly.

*(23x)Riccos Republican Guard: (6x4 formation)
-w/full command

Probably the best pikemen unit, these guys do great in CC with WS4, can dish out a lot of attacks, and come with a hero to boot. Though weak against missile fire, they can still dish the hurt and if used correctly, can be awesome unit and these guys can easily protect the paymaster from attacks.

*(12x)Crossbowmen:
-w/hw, crossbows

My standard range unit. Good for taking out light cavalry and firing on other long range units the enemy may have.

*(14x)Duelists:
-w/hw, pistols

*(14x)Duelists:
-w/hw, pistols

Guarding the flanks, these guys pack a punch when shooting and being skirmishers makes them all that harder to hit. Mages go with them and so far this has worked out very well.

*(5x)Volands Ventors:
-w/full command

My only heavy cavalry unit, these guys pretty much go where the fight is the thickest and destroy everything in there path. General goes with them.

*(5x)Light Cavalry:
-w/spears, shields

*(5x)Light Cavalry:
-w/spears, shields

These guys do what every other light cavalry do. Hold the flanks, war-machine hunt, and disrupt enemy formations.

*Cannon

*Cannon

[I]My only artillery. Have done fairly well in my experience and have only blown up once each!

It's nice to see a Tilean style list.

That said, as I guess you are aware, pikes can be effective against certain adversaries (generally poorly armored infantry that cost around 50% as much as they do), but they can still be rolled over by any even remotely hitty infantry unit and, improbably enough, heavy cavalry. Chaos Knights, if equipped for the job, could pulverize your phalanx. I would scrap one unit of pikes and bulk up the remaining two. I would like to see 30 each.

I think that you need more crossbows to help eliminate flankers, light cavalry and skirmishers. A second unit of 12 is, in my opinion, necessary. Sometimes you just need to shoot the hell out of something. Like Swordmasters.

My main problem with the list is that I think it lacks sufficient hitting power. Voland and his "hunters" are a great investment, but they are rather lonely in this list. I think some Ogres and a small, detachment-style unit of great weapon armed Norsemen would help out immensely. A second unit of heavy cavalry wouldn't be out of place either. You just need something to smack the enemy with after he/she has fallen on your pikes.

Why are the duellist units so massive? I've never seen them fielded in such numbers before.

Hope this helps, and good luck.