PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knight (in acrylic, baby!)

Hideous Loon
20-12-2005, 15:58
Hello all. I've been working for the last month (in Art class) on a big painting of a Grey Knight, based on a drawing made by some guy around here. (I hope he's around, and if so, take a bow! You've inspired me!) I thought: I suck at painting in small-scale things, so maybe bigger things are my thing? Well, on with the piccies!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/hideous_loon/MVC-001F.jpg

Close-up on hand and stormbolter (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/hideous_loon/MVC-002F.jpg) (to make you see the exact brushstrokes)
Close-up on head (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/hideous_loon/MVC-003F.jpg) (for all those yummy eye highlights)
The artist with his masterpiece (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/hideous_loon/MVC-004F.jpg) (for scale, mostly)

Well, that's all. What do you think?

Zanusiekk
20-12-2005, 16:38
I find it amusing that when you say you suck at painting small-scale, you seem to have used those very same techniques when painting large:p.
The composition is nice, but the highlights and gradients are too crude for the format. The larger your work, the more important the blending and detail work becomes, or the piece will suffer from acute flatness.
Also, the name looks kind of scribbled. For something that takes up that much of the surface, more effort should be put into it, or it will just bring the overall impression down.
Still, it is a very nicely drawn suit of power armour, something that everyone who has tried their hand with it knows is horrendously difficult to do:)

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-12-2005, 17:08
Oh, this drawing again. It looks alot worse painted.

Also, the Stormbolter is still FAR TOO SMALL!

Hideous Loon
21-12-2005, 14:39
Wow. SonOfAbbadon, you need to develop some humility. I'd like to see you performing the same act as I have. Do you think it was easy? Think again. And Zanusiekk, the name's supposed to look scribbled. (I know, it's easy to say that now, but that's the way it is.) Let me remind both of you (and all the other people who watched, but didn't reply as well) that this was the FIRST time I've ever pulled off such a big thing. I'm sure that you didn't paint like Raphael or Michelangelo the first time you put pen on paper.

TheSonOfAbbadon
21-12-2005, 16:59
How can you paint with a pen?...

For one of your first drawings it's pretty good.

Bloodthirster90
21-12-2005, 19:43
i think he was being metaphorical (like i said, i think)

anyways, pretty good for the first time. cant say much except it is a little messy at parts, but hey we aren't all pros.

Excelsis
22-12-2005, 03:05
I think it's a good picture. I can remember tring to draw marine armour in large drawings when I was in high school and it's outrageously hard like Zanusiekk said, but the thing I found most difficult is that the proportions that are present on the actual marine miniature don't work if you're drawing at A3 scale and above. If you try to correct the proportions, it doesn't really work very well as power aromour was designed to look cool with oversized heads, arms and legs. However, I like the solution that you've come up with by shrinking the shoulderpads to stop the head looking too small, and increased the area taken up by the inside of the elbow joint to stop the arms looking fat. I never thought of doing that.

The dynamic pose is the strongest point of this picture, and I think the shading is good (especially considering that you're using acrylics, which I found fiendishly hard to use!). The only problem is the lack of borders between armour plates, as it makes the colours look like they've run. In order to fix this, it would be simple and effective to use an extra fine ink pen to trace around the edges to the armour plates.

Anvils Hammer
28-12-2005, 10:53
i like it, the robe especially is well done.

the storm bolter is a fraction too small, but its a minor point, remeber that all the guns on 40k minis are atlest twice as big as they should be.
the head is bent forward to much, it looks like his wind pipe is cut off, but other that that i really like it.

Jritz15
29-12-2005, 06:51
Its looks really good, the only thing is in larger picturs like this you need to use more gradients of the same color for youre blending. Or you could take a nmm stylw which you seem to have done in which case you really need to refine the lines between two differentr colors.

JESSE

FearFrost
09-01-2006, 06:25
Take a black and white photo of the painting, if you can. If you do so, you will notice that all the values are VERY close.

What Im getting at is that the image needs more contrast...establish a lightsource, work in some darker shading and higher highlights, and this image will pop a LOT more.

The composition is good, and the drawing of the armor looks right (really tough, as mentioned before).

Just push it further with more contrast.

juddski
09-01-2006, 13:36
Take a black and white photo of the painting, if you can. If you do so, you will notice that all the values are VERY close.

What Im getting at is that the image needs more contrast...establish a lightsource, work in some darker shading and higher highlights, and this image will pop a LOT more.

The composition is good, and the drawing of the armor looks right (really tough, as mentioned before).

Just push it further with more contrast.

very good and wise advice from fear frost ;) ,you managed to convey exactly what i was trying to say.....another tip i do which might help you is ,when i think it's finished i scan/save it ,then go back and experiment (sometimes it works ,sometimes it dosen't) ,:confused: but for a first attempt this is really good except the head tends to blend in with the rest of the body IMHO