PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Deamonsword, revealed in the first round?

chaos spawn
28-04-2009, 05:48
A question about the Chaos Deamonsword:

In the rules text it says: "roll ... at the start of each round".

Does this mean I have to roll for the number of attacks etc. in the beginning of the first round, no matter if in contact with an enemy? Or does it mean in the beginning of the bearers close combat round (which is actually not the wording but might be intended).

devolutionary
28-04-2009, 06:08
Well a round is not a game turn. So at worst, you could interpret the item as needing to be rolled whenever there is a round of combat. Though now that I look, I can't find any definition for a "round" anywhere. Perhaps someone else can find it?

Jabroni the Wise
28-04-2009, 06:17
I'm gonna assume this is combat, it would make no sense and serve no purpose to roll at any other point in the game.

Nurgling Chieftain
28-04-2009, 06:39
It's right before EVERY round, just like it says! So, for example, if you have three combats to fight in a given assault phase, and your Chaos Lord isn't in any of them, he has to roll each time anyway!

...No, that's ridiculous. Roll at the beginning of any round of combat the Chaos Lord carrying it is actually in.

devolutionary
28-04-2009, 06:44
Of course it's ridiculous. But I am now curious as to what a round is. I can't seem to find a definition.

chaos spawn
28-04-2009, 06:53
It's right before EVERY round, just like it says! So, for example, if you have three combats to fight in a given assault phase, and your Chaos Lord isn't in any of them, he has to roll each time anyway!

...No, that's ridiculous. Roll at the beginning of any round of combat the Chaos Lord carrying it is actually in.

It might sound ridiculous, but my opponent might blame me for cheating if he charges the unit with my sorcerer lord in it and I haven't rolled the number of attacks every round before, revealing the sword. If my opponoent knows from the first round which weapon my sorcerer is wielding he might not want to attack at all. So it is a serious question: Can I wait untill the first combat or will my opponent be upset? (especially in tournaments)

Nurgling Chieftain
28-04-2009, 07:06
But I am now curious as to what a round is. I can't seem to find a definition.My guess is the designers were playing Dungeons and Dragons at the time of writing that. :p

So it is a serious question: Can I wait untill the first combat or will my opponent be upset?I've seen a lot of silliness in tournaments, but I doubt you'll ever face anybody who'll claim that.

Briohmar
28-04-2009, 10:44
I would just roll a dice each time, and look at the result then put it away. This way, you rolled, you know the result, and your opponent wonders why the hell you're rolling a die each turn. He can ask, but you don't have to say why until its time to unveil the item. But only if you're playing against someone who would be that anal retentive about ludicrous things.

Shamfrit
28-04-2009, 10:56
You roll at the start of the combat round, and no other time. If you're in combat, you reveal the item. Any other time, you don't, simple as.

rottahn
28-04-2009, 18:20
the rulebook talks about fighting a "round of combat" i assume that is what its referring to.

Despoiler
28-04-2009, 19:47
i took it as each 'round' of combat. so you role each time he attacks in the combat phase. This means he has a differing number of attacks each turn.

So it is a serious question: Can I wait untill the first combat or will my opponent be upset?'

Yes, yes you can wait till the first time you attack in combat to reveal the deamonsword. cause magic weapons only work in combat (except maybe an odd few but its usually noted in the description if it can be used at any other point).

if he hasn't been in combat before then then theres no need to reveal your magic weapon to your opponent. (unless they have a magic item that means you have too- not sure if they still exist, they seem to have petered out that kind of magic item in the new books).

as for the second half of your question. well if they do show them the items description. but really here no need to complain about it. there isn't anything in the rules that say you need to reveal your characters magic items so you aren't cheating. just make sure its clearly written in your SL entry in your army sheet before the battle to show he does have it.

on a partially related note. i once had a sorcerer with the rod torment. it was a huge 5k battle and i lost track of him having it for the first turn and so i didn't use it. i realised in the second turn and used it then. my then friend accused me of cheating even though i showed him my army sheet (which was a computer print off). he then ended the battle saying in was cheating and that i tricked him into moving one of his units close to the sorcerer just so i could blast them with the rod the next turn...

i just laughed. so much fuss over something that wasn't even cheating if i had done it on purpose :D

theunwantedbeing
28-04-2009, 19:49
Feel free to let him demmand you roll for your attacks every single combat round, even those he isnt in.

Just take the berserker sword on somebody and demamnd that you get an attack for every enemy model in base contact with another model (freind or foe) as the item doesnt specify that base contact is abse contact with an enemy, or the bearer, or a freidn or anything...so it blatently means all base contact.
So the guy weilding it will get some absurd number of attacks.

Your opponent will resort to common sense quickly enough.

Dexter099
29-04-2009, 07:03
It's like the demon weapon in 40k; you roll to see your bonuses as your weapon activates in the combat round. Plus, you don't reveal magic items until you are actually using them.