PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Warriors of Chaos..new to warseer be kind :)

Aussie_Made
28-04-2009, 09:44
Hey first army list i posted so hope it doesnt get torn apart too bad lol but at the same time i welcome any input and tips. Ive been playing around with different styles of lists since the new chaos book was released...magic heavy...all mounted etc etc.. so this "deathstar" kinda list is something i never tried before so would be good to hear from people who have and how it went for them. anyways here it is:

Chaos Lord - 317pts
MoT
Collar of Khorne
Helm of Many Eyes
Great Weapon
Armour of Morrslieb
- joins chosen

Exalted Hero - 275pts
MoT
Battle Standard Bearer
Banner of the Gods
Shield
-joins chosen

Sorcerer - 135pts
2 x Dispel Scroll

5 Marauder Horsemen - 101pts
MoS
Flails
Throwing Axes
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen - 101pts
MoS
Flails
Throwing Axes
Musician

5 Warhounds 30pts

15 Chaos Warriors 322pts
MoN
Shields
Additional Hand Weapons
Standard Bearer
Warbanner

14 Chosen 409pts
MoT
Shields
Great Weapons
Champion
Favour of the Gods
Standard Bearer
Blasted Standard
Musician

5 Chaos Knights - 295pts
MoN
Standard Bearer
Banner of Rage
Musician

Giant - 265pts
MoS
- i know alot of people dont like giants...either did i until i realized how good and fast they are at killing things with multiple wounds.

Total = 2250pts

Obviously the main strength of the army lies with the chosen and 2 characters joining the unit. There is 1001pts tied up in that one unit so it wil be hard to score a solid victory or better unless the enemy engage and kill the entire unit...and killing it could prove difficult..has MR2 and 4+ ward against shooting, causes terror, is stubborn in combat and chaos lord always strikes first with 5 Str7 attacks.. Idea is to deploy the other unit of warriors and the Choas knights within 6'' to get the stubborn bonus from the banner of the gods. Giant sumwhere close by too so will make 4 stubborn units..sounds good in theory :)....Anyway as i said i havent used a list like this before so im after any tips or suggestions anyone might have..

Althwen
28-04-2009, 10:16
I must say that this kind of army appeals to me as well. I like the idea of a lot of warriors and marauders taking the fight to the enemy where you can be sure you'll kick the living daylights out of them.
But it never works in my experience...

This is one of those armies that can probably be easily dealt with, piece by piece, while they ignore the core of your army. After having eliminated your cavalry with some seriously focused magic and shooting, they can just run circles around your main force and harrass them to death.
hell, I even managed to do that with a WoC army of my own when I was facing a DoC Nurgle Death star army...
So I guess it all comes down to what you're up against. Any Army that has the same approach to tactics as you will probably allow you to use the full strength of this army. But everything else will probably end up in your rear and flanks.

Then again, that's my experience and my opponents of late mainly include dragon-fielding DE and HE generals.

SchultzChaos
28-04-2009, 13:07
I think that your Banner of the Gods-hero should be more usable with a disc, and so giving the "stubborn"-bonus to those who needs it the most, when the times calls for it. By giving him the disc, he becomes more flexible (with his 20" movement!) and can get out of trouble faster, if some sneaky oppenent tries to encircle him.
I fielded such hero against an army of dwarfes, and the disc-rider was beyond expectation. He alone made the whole army hold and win the most important combats (after a turn or two of grinding).

And why do people hate giants? I think giants are a superb unit in a WoC-list. If every gun, cannon and bow is pointed at the big fella, it means that our chosen can jogg quietly over the killing-grounds to reach the enemy's battleline.

Aussie_Made
29-04-2009, 03:58
yea i wanted to mount the BSB on a disc because i love the model lol...but then i was thinking he is quite defenceless against shooting didnt really wanna risk a character so expensive with only a 2+ AS, 6+ ward. But i could easily make that change by taking the war banner off the other warriors that would make points for the disc.. would be a good idea against some armys so will definately give it a go thanks for the tip...dont think i would be too game to use him vs a dwarven gun line though. Good to know someone else is with me on the giant...i cant leave him at home ever since i played a lizardmen army and he took out 2 steggs before he went down :)

Korphamet
29-04-2009, 06:34
Well... My thoughts on the whole "bullet distraction thingy" is to use a warshrine for that. Cheaper and doesnt fall over things it shouldnt :p

In case you wonder, i plan on making my warshrine look absolutely spectacular. We all know people find themselves drawn to killing those things that looks the hottest on the battlefield :D

On the list, personally, im not much to putting that many points in one basket. Few units can stand up to your chosen on their own or with just a single hero... If you spread your points more evenly, the enemy cant just ignore that big a part of your army.

Also, footsloggers are slooow... And more vulnerable than knights... In case you insist on the dual character + elite unit thing... Consider using knights.. :)

Dexter099
29-04-2009, 06:53
Lord is configured incorrectly, though you are on the right track.

Battle Standard bearers may not have shields, simply a hand weapon if they carry a magic banner. Needs a Chaos Steed for a 2+ armor.

Sorceror is good.

Warhounds and Horsemen are good.

Chaos Warriors don't need hw/shield, just shield is fine.

Chosen should have banner of rage.

Knights are problematic: mounted units should never have frenzy. They also should be fielded in units of 7 at least for the combat rez and attacks. MoT is a better choice. If you are worried about shooting, take the banner of 5+ ward save vs. shooting.

Giant are good, but it's problem leads back to...

..you having only 2 blocks of infantry, and 1 uncontrollable undersized shock troop block, plus an unreliable monster.

You need another Chaos Warrior block. Consider dropping the BSB and giant for a block of marauders and more warriors, something your army badly needs, as well as filling out your undersized knight unit.

Althwen
29-04-2009, 08:56
Lord is configured incorrectly, though you are on the right track.

Battle Standard bearers may not have shields, simply a hand weapon if they carry a magic banner. Needs a Chaos Steed for a 2+ armor.

Sorceror is good.

Warhounds and Horsemen are good.

Chaos Warriors don't need hw/shield, just shield is fine.

Chosen should have banner of rage.

Knights are problematic: mounted units should never have frenzy. They also should be fielded in units of 7 at least for the combat rez and attacks. MoT is a better choice. If you are worried about shooting, take the banner of 5+ ward save vs. shooting.

Giant are good, but it's problem leads back to...

..you having only 2 blocks of infantry, and 1 uncontrollable undersized shock troop block, plus an unreliable monster.

You need another Chaos Warrior block. Consider dropping the BSB and giant for a block of marauders and more warriors, something your army badly needs, as well as filling out your undersized knight unit.

I think I might just disagree with every single point you just made... but that's just down to personal style, I guess.

Eta
29-04-2009, 12:18

Of course he may have a shield. I would give him a flail in addition so you will have these S7 attacks if you need them.
And those knights are fine, although I'd field them six strong. If you have one or two screening units for them (hounds, horsemen) their frenzy will not be a big issue.

Greetings
Eta

Dexter099
30-04-2009, 04:10
He may not carry a shield in his off hand. But yes, against shooting attacks, he may use a shield. You have to carry the banner in the other hand, too, so no sword + shield.

I think I might just disagree with every single point you just made... but that's just down to personal style, I guess.

Could you tell me why? I might learn something, or vice-versa. While I'm experienced with WoC, I don't know everything.

Aussie_Made
30-04-2009, 08:46
I was considering changing the warrior units to chaos knights and adding another 5 marauder horsemen to cover the other core choice...but sadly dont have the models at the moment to do that...but yeah the idea behind the army was to "put all my eggs in one basket" with the chosen who recieve the free roll on the eye of the gods table for an extra buff so the second warrior unit must stay to accompany them. Though i probably will drop the war banner and 1 chosen to find the points to make the knights unit 6 strong. Never used them in groups of more than 5 but i think its time to start because one or two usually go down from magic and shooting before they reach combat anyway and this leaves the remaining few very underpowered. The flail on the BSB is another great idea :) thanks for all the input so far. Hopefully will get time to play test the list sometime this weekend.

Eta
30-04-2009, 11:53
He may not carry a shield in his off hand. But yes, against shooting attacks, he may use a shield. You have to carry the banner in the other hand, too, so no sword + shield.

Where does it say that in the rules?

Greetings
Eta

SiNNiX
30-04-2009, 12:54

Could you tell me why? I might learn something, or vice-versa. While I'm experienced with WoC, I don't know everything.

Banners don't give any penalties for carrying weapons or shields. They don't count as anything. You may carry a sword + shield or 2H as normal. Check the rulebook. Although this goes against common sense or logic, rules are rules and nothing in the WOC states otherwise.

SiNNiX
30-04-2009, 13:04
In addition, you must listen and watch this video when you play Warhammer:

Super Badass Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1k81E_1UGI)

jax40kplyr1
30-04-2009, 14:55
Its not a bad list - I would just hesitate about throwing so much into your chosen unit. It'll cream just about anything that it gets into HTH with - don't get me wrong, but you've got your BSB, Lord and a majority of your points into a Mvt 4 unit. Thats at least 3 turns, provided you don't get march blocked before you can get into combat, IF they deploy at the furthest edge of their deployment zone.
Personal preference myself, I would look at dropping the flails on the horsemen and adding a shield - great fast cav that can march block and throw axes and immune to fear, terror, panic.
Not crazy about Giants - Chaos Knights are incredible for the points cost and will do alot better with such a small army.
Biggest keys for a Chaos army now are how fast you can get your guys into combat, where they'll tear up just about anything they can get to. Would also look at getting your Chaos Lord mounted on a horse and throwing him in with a unit of knights.
Magic is going to hurt you big time - with as slow as your uber units move, Lore of Metal is going to be a killer.
Knights generally go max 6 wide, as you can have issues wheeling a 7 wide unit around. Additionally, as a majority of units are 20mm, you won't be able to get them all into combat 7 wide anyways (20mm x 5 = 100mm) vice (25mm x 7 = 150mm)