PDA

View Full Version : Treeman v Treekin?

The Pale Lady
20-12-2005, 16:27
Hi,
I'm building a Forest Spirit army led by an Ancient Treeman and have reached a quandary on how to spend the last 285 points.

Do I buy a normal Treeman or do I buy a spite for a Branchwraith + zenith banner for the Wild Riders + 3 Treekin (inc Elder)?

Any advice or alternatives out there?

ps Please don't suggest the new Great Stag (Moose on steroids)

Banesword
20-12-2005, 16:42
My vote is on the Treekin, rock solid defensively. T5 4+Sv 5+Ward makes for the 2nd toughest unit in the WE list. Also, a unit of 3 is 100pts less then a Treeman.

god octo
20-12-2005, 18:59
Yeah, i put another vote in for treekin. They are tougher then a treeman and although they cant deal out sooo much hurt, your opponent wont focus on them as much,( fool, underestimating treekin:D ) as they are a unit and he will have faster things to deal with. I vote for treekin by the way!

i have an eldar for cos i used my old treeman model in the unit, so to explain the slight difference in height, i called him the eldar. Plus now, a three strong unit has 10 attacks.

Crazy Harborc
20-12-2005, 19:47
Door number one or two?? Option one or two?? Go for more, the Treekin and the rest. The Branchwraith is very good, IMHO.

Kahadras
20-12-2005, 21:40
I would go for the treekin as well just to back up what other people have said. They are a really solid unit IMO and are cheaper than a Treeman to boot. Can't ask for more than that.

Kahadras

Crube
21-12-2005, 08:08
As much as I love the Treeman, i also say option2. I gives you a bit more variety, especially with the Branchwraith (who is potentially very dangerous)

Another Treeman may just be a bit too much, eggs, one basket...

Da GoBBo
21-12-2005, 14:01
Personally I'd drop the treeman ancient, get 4 branchwraiths with one magic level and use an ordinairy treeman. Magic is gonna be dangers so you need those dispelldice. A treeman is gruesom, no need to make him any thougher then he allready is.

As for the treeman vs. treekin part. I'd need to see your armylist for that. Their evenly tough but a treeman is more flexible. The question is wether you need this flexibilty. Probably not, wielding woodies and all, but still. For the overall look of the army, I'd definitly take treekin instead of a second treeman.

m1s1n
21-12-2005, 22:12
Survey says . . . Treekin. Units are always better than single models.

Keller
21-12-2005, 23:34
Units are always better than single models.

Not always. You have to consider that the Treeman has the extra shooting attack, can cast Tree Singing, and causes terror. Those can be some pretty powerful abilities in the right situation.

I too would say Treekin though, especially if you already have the Ancient. Two treemen working together, or one on each flank, could work well, but the better buy seems to be the Treekin from what you have mentioned.

m1s1n
22-12-2005, 01:45
Okay, I over-stated "always"--but I think you get the jist. Single models have a tendency to be a point sink, and something that is imposing on the field has a tendency to get picked off before it can do much.

Trunks
22-12-2005, 03:42
However, when there are two of them, it can allow the other to make it to the enemy . . .

m1s1n
22-12-2005, 03:46
So spend 285 points on a single model just to make sure your other 285 point model will make it? I still don't think this is a better tactic than just abandoning Treemen altogether.

Da GoBBo
22-12-2005, 08:27
Other than this, you can't compare single models and units like this. These two trooptypes have different objectives so how can you say one is better than the other? For instance, i'd never use eternal guard to attack a warmachine (exeptions, such as this warmachine bein the last enemy model, not included). I'd use a great Eagle for that, which is a single model.

The Pale Lady
22-12-2005, 09:53
Thanks for all the input folks. It looks as though I will be going with the Treekin and the other extras. This will make three units of Treekin in my army. I only thought of the second treeman because so many battle reports seem to have two treemen in their forces.

I thought the idea of 4 Branchwraiths was really interesting and I'm going to have a look at that.

Has anyone used Drycha? I like the look of her teleport ability.

chumchu
22-12-2005, 10:06
Drycha is really good. She is a L2 mage with two bound spells and she gives you 3 dispeldice. She is nasty but a bit fragile in close combat. Try to avoid fighting characters with her. And her teleport rules are great. Imagine the look on your opponents face when their are two units of treekin strolling out behind his line, ready to charge the rear next turn.

If you use special characters in your games i would definitly recommend her. She only costs 375 pts.

oma
22-12-2005, 10:12
isnt the treeman a largetarget? making it more vounerable than the treekin that can be screened?

Scythe
22-12-2005, 12:38
Yes it is. It is imho more vulnerable anyway, since it has 3 wounds less as the treekin (altough you have T6).

Da GoBBo
22-12-2005, 13:12
You didn't mention already having 3 units of treekin before if I remember correctly. In that case I'd definitly take a second treeman. 4 of those units will use a tremendous amount of space, which you don't have most of the time.

The Pale Lady
22-12-2005, 14:34
No, what I meant was that will make three units of treekin in total. There should be enough room for that.

Scythe
23-12-2005, 08:32
3 units of Ogre sized creatures are definitely deployable, especially since practically everything else will be skirmishing (Dryads).

Da GoBBo
23-12-2005, 10:59
:rolleyes: Doh, a should be reading more carefully. You have a final list we could see?

The Pale Lady
23-12-2005, 14:39
Sure, this is what I am looking at:

Treeman ancient + 2 spites

Branchwraith, L1 Mage, 1 Spite x2

8 Dryads + Nymph x4

2 Treekin + Elder x3

6 Wild Riders inc. full command + Zenith Banner

They are all painted and based apart from the third unit of Treekin which I haven't bought yet.

I used the bulk of them in a 1500 battle v Ogres which I won.