PDA

View Full Version : Grey Company/Arnor/Pelennor - 2000 pts WotR

Guardian of the Rage
28-04-2009, 15:14
Hey guys,

I've been fiddling around with WotR for a while and I've come up with this list. It is based on a kind of Grey company in arnor, with elements of Pelennor.

Epic Heroes:

Aragorn - 200
Elrohir & Elladan - 70
Arwen (Thranduil) - 125

Aragorn, Elladan and Elrohir are pretty much given, did think about removing Aragorn for the 3 hunters however. The grey company convinced me not to. I wanted at least one magic caster, thought of Arwen, but why on earth is Thranduil so much better for the same cost?

Legendary formations:

Grey Company (4) BotK - 285 (Aragorn here - obviously)
Court of the Dead King (4) - 265

Grey Company are a must (the list started with them in mind!) and the army of the Dead seem reasonable (and easy to paint!)

Common Formations:

Rangers (2) x3 OR Rangers (3) x2 - 180
Warriors of M.T. (4) Banner, musician - 150 (Elladan & Elrohir go here?)
Warriors of M.T. (4) Captain - 150
Knights of M.T. (4) Banner, musician, shields (Arwen/Thranduil goes here?)
Hobbit Archers (2) x3 OR Hobbit Archers (3) x2 - 90 (don't laugh, OK do)

This is 2 fairly solid blocks (Warriors) supported by plentiful archery. Rangers are a given, Hobbits are only relevant in the Arnor context (but they are amusing). The cavalry with Arwen/Thranduil should provide some sort of hitting power.

Rare:

Riders of the Dead (3) command - 265

Not sure about these at all, just in there because the King is too. Certainly Dol Amroth would be better value, but some semblance of theme?

Fortune:

either Blessing of Galadriel or Wise council - 50

That will be 4 infantry Formations, 2 cavalry Formations and 12 companies of supporting archers. Plenty of 'epic-ness' in there too.

I have tried to remain broadly within the theme whilst maintaining some appearance of 'competitiveness'. I don't think that the army is all that special, and many of its 'tricks' are pretty obvious I think.

Summary:

Aragorn - 200
Elrohir & Elladan - 70
Arwen (Thranduil) - 125
Grey Company (4) BotK - 285 (Aragorn here - obviously)
Court of the Dead King (4) - 265

Rangers (2) x3 OR Rangers (3) x2 - 180
Warriors of M.T. (4) Banner, musician - 150 (Elladan & Elrohir go here?)
Warriors of M.T. (4) Captain - 150
Knights of M.T. (4) Banner, musician, shields (Arwen/Thranduil goes here?)
Hobbit Archers (2) x3 OR Hobbit Archers (3) x2 - 90 (don't laugh, OK do)

Riders of the Dead (3) command - 265

either Blessing of Galadriel or Wise council - 50

What changes would you make and why? particularly looking at the Riders of the dead.

Many Thanks in advance,
regards,

GotR

Guardian of the Rage
05-05-2009, 10:10
After some consideration, i'm considering dropping the riders of the dead and taking some for of either Rohan outriders, or standard riders as mounted dunedain or something similar.

What are peoples thoughts on that? too cheesy?

Regards,
GotR

Nu Fenix
05-05-2009, 10:28
I'm not a Gondor player, but since no-one has replied, I'll give what limited opinion I have.

There are some people who hate Army of the Dead, and by association Ghostly Riders, so I doubt you will have complaints about swapping them for other cavalry.

In a game of 2000 points, I feel that having your Warriors of Minas Tirith at only 4 companies strong is under-sized, and would do better being beffed up to 6 strong.

Definately don't put an Epic Hero with your Knights - They would end up in the second company, and so would die once you lose 5 Knights. Keep them with your infantry.

Desperate Heroics is better then Blessing of Galadriel by a mile! Burn Might from your Captain [for example] if Aragorn runs out, giving him a longer Might use.

Why not have Elladan and Elrohir in seperate formations, that way you can have each decalre a seperate Heroic action, and let the other copy for free.

Jorgen_CAB
05-05-2009, 11:22
Ok, some input from a Gondor player...

Riders of the Dead are too expensive, I would settle for the Kings formation...

If you want to put an Epic Hero with your knights you need to buff it up to five or preferably six companies, otherwise you stick with a Captain.

Your formation of Minas Tirith Warriors are way too small in a 2000p game, at least one of them should be six companies, preferably both should be six companies.
I would simply not put any command in them at all, they are just there to pin your enemy so that you can attack them with the rest of you army. Such as rangers showering them with arrows and knights attacking them in the flanks etc.. Since Aragorn provide his courage to all formations they really don't need any captains. Whether they charge or not is not important. Just that they stall the opponent.

I would put Elladan and Elrohir in each of my Ranger formations. They need mobility and their special skill will be put to good use as well. The rangers will move up into defensible terrain and then shower the enemy with flanking missile fire, charge if the opportunity presents itself.
If you want support archers that will not move about you should get archers of Minas Tirith, they are much better with their defense of five in that role.

Warriors of the dead and Grey company goes to each flank, the cavalry goes into you reserve so you can reveal them when you see what the opponent are up to.

The hobbit archers guard each flank of your warrior units and simply attack the enemy as best they can, they are cheap and will be expendable to you. ;)

Do not put any formation with only two companies, that makes the formations very weak. Missile formations most optimum number are three companies.

And last, I would replace Arwen and Riders of the Dead with Prince Imrahil and a large formation of Knights of Dol Amroth. This leaves you without a caster, but I really don't think that you need one anyway.