PDA

View Full Version : New Guard Thread #1001; Topic: I HATE it!

Eulenspiegel
28-04-2009, 18:23
That was just to grab your attention.

I just got the Codex today, and to be more truthful, I´m very "meh" about it.
Everything that´s fun costs points, so to be competitive, you´ll be limiting yourself to one, maybe two if the´re cheap, gimmicks in the army list.

The army I was playing (hybrid gunline, 3 tanks, countercharge) I think didn not come out so good. After I´ve added everything up I´ve lost my entire Inquistitorial allies (Lord + shooty retinue, 2 DCAs)! I´m particularly shocked about the new points cost for my tanks (Hellhound, LRBT, LREx).
The other points of criticism is one that doesn´t bother me at all: they kept the Preacher almost the same cost and didn´t remove his IC status. Yay for a model with T3 and one wound!

Ok please don´t mistake this for whining! This is just a new toy unpacked, you´ve been looking forward towards it for years, and it just doesn´t live up to your high standards.

The complaints I DO have are with unnecessarily dropped options. Why for ******* sake do I have to ditch my Sergeants and have to build new ones?
Why is my Standard Bearer, THE ONE I PAINTED UP JUST YESTERDAY, now illegal? *whine*

Now I´ve unpacked all my bitz boxes, the IG one, the vehicle one, and the random one, plugged in the drill, and yet I have no f***cking idea how to turn this guy into Jarran Kell.
Mind, if I just ripped his arm off and stuck it to that other guy, I would still be left
- with a lovingly half-painted mini I have no use for
- a Jarran Kell without a (left-handed) Power Fist

He could be a generic Standard Bearer, but that would still mean I´d have to rip his left arm off. I still remember what a bitch that Bolter strap was to get it look right.

This is a grown man almost in tears. FEEL MY PAIN!
(On the plus side: when I heard the rumours about Sergeants not getting Lasguns, I painted up Mr. Usual Subject #2 there; first "high standard" (by my standards I mean) I´ve painted for years.)

Angelwing
28-04-2009, 18:33
I'd just squint at your standard bearer. 'Yep thats a las gun'

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 18:46
I'd just squint at your standard bearer. 'Yep thats a las gun'

*counts as lasgun* Works good enough for me.

Long as im told at start of the game

Max Jet
28-04-2009, 18:47

Thehehe... it worked! XD

Everything that´s fun costs points, so to be competitive, you´ll be limiting yourself to one, maybe two if the´re cheap, gimmicks in the army list.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just look at the price of ogryns, stormtroopers and the special HQ units. Even rouge rider squads! Admitted they get the hunting lances, but where is the option of taking them without these lances? There was no point in taking away these options. I think most of the list nowadays will be swarmend with conscripts (They still have the same costs right?) Guardsmen and basic tanks... maybe Valkyries. A powerfull list may be written, indeed, but the Codex does not support variety.

they kept the Preacher almost the same cost and didn´t remove his IC status. Yay for a model with T3 and one wound!

BWAHAHAAH! Now that was good!

Ok please don´t mistake this for whining! This is just a new toy unpacked, you´ve been looking forward towards it for years, and it just doesn´t live up to your high standards.

Well the last guard codex was a more "Fun" approach. Do not know who designed it, forgott the name.. but he explicitely mentioned that he wanted to emphasize the "Freaky Imperium" flavour in the last guard codex and allow for doctrines to let you costumize your codex just like it has been possible with the Tyranid Codex. Now you get a more "serious" and somehow streamline Codex, though I have to admitt I pretty much like the new organisation and "Order" rules. (But the thing with vox casters pretty much IS stupid)

The complaints I DO have are with unnecessarily dropped options. Why for ******* sake do I have to ditch my Sergeants and have to build new ones?
Why is my Standard Bearer, THE ONE I PAINTED UP JUST YESTERDAY, now illegal? *whine*

Oh God.. er... because now it forces you to buy even MORE MODELS!! YAAAY!!! THROW ALL YOUR MONEY AT GW! They could easily illegalize ALL the options in the last Codex, but then they would have to come up with a 100% new model range and deal with the swarms of angry guard players who will have to buy their overpriced new boxes.

Now I´ve unpacked all my bitz boxes, the IG one, the vehicle one, and the random one, plugged in the drill, and yet I have no f***cking idea how to turn this guy into Jarran Kell.

You have to play a game against me then. A buddy of mine converted a Fire warrior into an awesome "Action hero style" Guy with two pulse rifles.. one in each hand. Then this guy comes over shouting at him "BLAAAAARGH!!!! THIS IS NOT WYSIWYG!!!!! SCREW YOUUUU!"
Afterwards I came over to him and said. "Buddy.. whenever you play against me and use THAT model your Pulse rifle counts as twin linked for free, because that model ist AWESOME!"

You forgott to complain about the stupidly high costs of starting a new guard army.

Gen.Steiner
28-04-2009, 19:03
There is always eBay. You have to be quick and clever tho'!

As for the complaints - this is why I build a new army for each edition. :)

Bassik
28-04-2009, 19:04
This topic makes me sad. Sad to the head.

hereticdave
28-04-2009, 19:04
You forgot to complain about the stupidly high costs of starting a new guard army.

You're not kidding! Though i did manage to get in and grab a couple of boxes of 20 man Cadians. I think my army will be limited to a very small amount of points. Particularly as this is my 'whim' army :)

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 19:05
There is always eBay. You have to be quick and clever tho'!

I picked up 3x Leman Russes on sprue for only $25 each a few weeks ago there :P

Eulenspiegel
28-04-2009, 19:07
:wtf: Stop playing with my feelings!

tuebor
28-04-2009, 19:07
That really sucks about your standard bearer as he is really nice. Perhaps you could have him just be an officer who is a young nobleman carrying his own personal heraldry or familial heraldry into battle. It wouldn't have any in game effect, but it's far too nice a conversion to not use.

Bassik
28-04-2009, 19:08
I mean, its like getting a new and awesome toy you have been looking forward to for years, and then somebody else says its not good. :cries:

wartorngetahroun74
28-04-2009, 19:09
Im dreading picking up my codex on Saturday. I have a lot of guard and feel like 25% or more of it I wont be able to use without conversions.

Edit: ot having to buy more models and bitz.

Bloodknight
28-04-2009, 19:15
Admitted they get the hunting lances, but where is the option of taking them without these lances?

Nowhere, but at the same time there was no point in fielding them without in the last codex. As a shooting unit they were not worth it, since they moved just like infantry if they wanted to shoot. And they were worse in combat than the new guys thanks to no frag grenade option in the old codex.

but he explicitely mentioned that he wanted to emphasize the "Freaky Imperium" flavour in the last guard codex and allow for doctrines to let you costumize your codex just like it has been possible with the Tyranid Codex.

If that was his intention, he failed badly. Nobody took the freaky units in the last codex, they were all crap. Doctrines basically meant: Take Iron Discipline, Take Grenadiers, Take Drop Troops, take two that you happen to like; Forget about the restricted units, they all suck.
In the few games I played with the new codex already I have probably fielded more "freaky" units than in the 6 years before that. And none of them were bad. I even tried the preacher, and he worked (he doesn't interfere with shooting anymore, and I put him far back in the platoon, so he didn't reach combat himself. I just wanted his rerolls ^^).

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 19:16
Im dreading picking up my codex on Saturday. I have a lot of guard and feel like 25% or more of it I wont be able to use without conversions.

Edit: ot having to buy more models and bitz.

main change is..

Srg's require Las pistol / ccw now.
Lasgun guardsmen are safe.. Which is the bulk of armies ( most of the time )

kendaop
28-04-2009, 19:16

Happens everytime a new codex is released. Not really a surprise. You should've waited a few weeks to see the codex before converting/painting your models.

TrooperTino
28-04-2009, 19:51
I even tried the preacher, and he worked (he doesn't interfere with shooting anymore, and I put him far back in the platoon, so he didn't reach combat himself. I just wanted his rerolls ^^).

thats exactly how i imagine the preacher to work: short behind the line of actual close combat (a few feet) and yelling/preaching inciting things to the men. And T3 one wound... he's not a fantasy-sigmar-close-combat-killer-kind-of preacher, just a small man devoted to the emperor. But thats just my view.

on Topic: Its really sad iff the little (mostly efectless but fluffy) options are gone now. To give the seargents special weapons like Bolters or shotguns was a nice way to make them unique and give them some personality. Nowhere did you make your list more powerful with that, just a bit more unique.

I don't really know the new dex, just what I read here on warseer, so I wait till I say it's good or bad, but things I read here later days are concerning me a bit :(

Latro_
28-04-2009, 20:02
[QUOTE=Eulenspiegel
[/QUOTE]

Thats what you get for thinking a mere guardsman could hold a bolter like that in one arm :D

sweet conversion thou old bean.

Johnnyfrej
28-04-2009, 20:09
You got to look at the glass half-full, not half-empty.

Pros:
-Guard get a much needed new codex.
-Guard can now throw down with the best of them.
-We get vehicles in squads.
-More Tanks then any other codex.
-Everything is either cheaper or got more expensive but worth it.
-Things that we would never use are now a viable option (Ogryn, Techpriests, Ratlings)

Cons:
-Some models are now "illegal" (Lasgun sarges).
-Doctrines are gone (Oh, what will we do?!).
-Costs more money than other armies.

sigur
28-04-2009, 20:10
Feeling bad for you, Eulenspiegel. The suggestion about the officer holding his own standard isn't too bad I think. Imagine it being based on the guy's family and he really takes pride in their colours because his old grand-grand-grandfather "old stoneface" Noskins got some medal or something.

I, for one, seem to be the only person in the world who hasn't got the codex yet. Sheesh.

And concerning the argument of "3rd edition codex having been better"....no, Isch don't think so. Doctrines were a nice idea, just like SM traits and the oh so individual chaos lord. As most good things, this just failed when being faced with the human nature.

And IG has always been more expensive than other armies. Why keep people nagging about what's obvious as if it was something new?

Landsknecht
28-04-2009, 20:11
No reason to complain, really.

Infantry are cheaper.
Equipment (except plasma) is cheaper.
Veterans are slightly more affordable.
Still lots of heavy weapons.
Leman Russes are similar to old points costs and can fire all weapons.
Hydras can tear up light APCs
Lots of artillery like Griffons and Basilisks
Cheaper Chimeras :)
Valkyries! (even though I won't be taking them, huge and expensive $$$ wise)

Really nothing seems bad to me. We have a couple of fun expensive options if we want them, like the Colossus, Medusa, Deathstrike, Storm Troopers, Lord Commissars, some nifty special characters, advisors, Psykers, Penal Troops, etc.

There's nothing this codex does worse, in my opinion, than the last one did. All we got were cheaper and more effective baseline choices, and some neat expensive options to compliment at higher point games.

Damocles8
28-04-2009, 20:11
You could always count him as an officer.....work it out that he counts as two different models.....I've seen Fantasy conversions doing the same thing.....

Awilla the Hun
28-04-2009, 20:27
Poor standard bearer. I've got some Horse Artillery that needs rebasing, so I feel your pain...

MrMojoZ
28-04-2009, 20:30
They removed options for configurations that didn't have models, thats why they dropped options. We've known what is in the codex for months, why did you paint something with no rules yesterday?

Khornies & milk
28-04-2009, 20:50
They removed options for configurations that didn't have models, thats why they dropped options. We've known what is in the codex for months, why did you paint something with no rules yesterday?

I have to agree with this, and I've always thought that that was one of the main reasons why the Rumour Threads were there, to keep everyone informed .

Also, new Army Editions nearly always require some sort of re-jigging with the minis - it goes part and parcel with this hobby.

Me, I'm as happy as a pig in _ _ _ _ about the new Codex, and having just got the Codex last night along with the Command Box I'm going to have a very enjoyable day today making my Al'Rahem mini plus the others.

Bunnahabhain
28-04-2009, 22:44
So far, I'm at " not overly impressed"

It doesn't really fit with my vision of the Guard, nor make the Core units of the Army as underpriced as the Ork book.

There is an increase in number of viable units in the book, but that's not hard given the old book.

The basic infantry have got a little better, but not vastly, I currently feel. Maybe, given a bit of time to get used to the orders system, they'll seem better.

Sir_Turalyon
28-04-2009, 23:45
Feel your pain, man. Most of us has his existing army invalidated / weakened by new codex, and those who hadn't will have, then will come on Warseerwhining like the world was ending as soon as it happens to them for first time. Still remember how I felt when my 2000 points 5th edition Bretonnian army became 750 points force with tons of extra unfieldable paladins. Took me a year to reorganize them as playable 6th edition force, and few more years to realise they are better that way :roll:.

But when GW does it again to your another army, it won't hurt that much.

The army I was playing (hybrid gunline, 3 tanks, countercharge) I think didn not come out so good. After I´ve added everything up I´ve lost my entire Inquistitorial allies (Lord + shooty retinue, 2 DCAs)! I´m particularly shocked about the new points cost for my tanks (Hellhound, LRBT, LREx).

New codex requires new army compostions - otherwise, it would be "more of the same" codex.

The other points of criticism is one that doesn´t bother me at all: they kept the Preacher almost the same cost and didn´t remove his IC status. Yay for a model with T3 and one wound!

And rosarius, and ability to hide in big squads like conscripts or merged infrantry squads while boosting them.

Why does every bit need to have useful rules? You have great decorative models of standard bearer and sarge, with some characterful bits that do nothing *pats his comm-link operator armed with bolter, option removed in 2003 by codex now being replaced*. Your standard bearer eighter has laspistol (if you modeled straped pistol on him) or lasgun (default option).

boogle
29-04-2009, 00:10
If you ever played me, i'd go 'your guy has a Boltgun? cool lets get playing', because as far as i'm concerned, you've took to time to convert, so you can go and use it as a Boltgun, myself i have a whole platoon of IG, all the Sgts have lasguns and guess what? I'm not changing them

DarkMatter2
29-04-2009, 00:46
I thought I was going to hate it, but I have come around.

freddieyu
29-04-2009, 01:07
Well it has "forced" me to get off my lazy butt and make new sergeants, as well as make a lot more grenade launcher guys and autocannons....which is fine really since I enjoy modelling the minis and just needed a reason to start doing this again...and since mech is much more viable I will finally complete my 4 half painted (actually 3/4th painted) chimeras bringing my total to 6.....again I'm glad I got the reason to do this! (that's the problem when you collect too many 40k and whfb armies, your effort gets spread around..)

If you think about of course that is what GW wants...and it is working with me...(can't wait for the valkryie model as well as the hellhound variants!!!)

Grom Hellscream
29-04-2009, 15:26
i'm just on my knees thanking GW that my Vanquisher is in the codex now, and cheeper than the 175 pnt it was listed at nine years ago when i bought my first 'dex.

Captain Micha
29-04-2009, 15:31
I danced on Doctrines grave when I saw how they did the "doctrine system".

It is so much better than what we had before.

Fixer
29-04-2009, 15:36
Lots of armies go through the same thing. Emperor's children can no longer have sonic weapons on tanks. Most of my Lion Guard space marines are now all illegal unit sizes and my Bike mounted Librarian has a Storm Shield on his arm he can no-longer equip.

http://www.perfect-design.co.uk/lionguard/battle1.jpg

but there's nothing wrong with having a model with standardised equipment being non WYSIWYG as long as your opponent agrees. For the rest, we just have to adapt!

lqtrev
29-04-2009, 15:38
Persoanlly I agree with the ogional statment the book is very Meh....

Usually i can pick up a book and come up with a fluff list and a cheese lsit within 2 hrs the guard took me over a week to even come up with a fluff list im still working on the chesse list.

So far i ahve come up with only one nice idea and thats creed with infiltrating unit of rougth riders for first turn charge sure everyone saw that straight away. It pretty much 1 st turn kill on most things that arnt terms with Storm Shields.

Another thing id like peoples opinions on are missile launcher teams im taking 2 heavy wep squads what with new orders i can make them twin linked vs vehicles or losoe your cover with blast.

please Discuss

sliganian
29-04-2009, 15:44
to OP:

As I mentioned in another thread, ask me how happy I am that most of my 2 Veteran squads and my filler guys on Special Weapons teams are now all Illegal. No more "Lp/ccw" Veterans standard, or extra SW Lp/ccw Team guys. :mad:

Fay_Redd
29-04-2009, 15:47
Ive played the new guard 1v1 against a staffer, blue shirt and he said i would just like to count them as lasguns if thats alright. I said yeah, that's all you need to do outside of tourneys.

Spider-pope
29-04-2009, 16:44
As i said in the other thread that popped up a few weeks ago, if an opponent is anal enough to call you on your sergeants having Lasguns, then chances are they arent worth playing against anyway.

Captain Micha
29-04-2009, 16:47
I know why they did the serj thing. It's pretty simple really. That way you know who the serj in the squad is at all times.

Captain Corallis
29-04-2009, 17:34
I was reading through the new codex and the rules for sergeants annoyed me a little at the time, having only started putting lasguns on my better painted sergeants.
When i got home I was reading the new white dwarf and it mentions that an Infantry squad with 10 lasguns will be rolling 20 dice at rapid fire range in the new codex. I thought about this for a couple of seconds before realising that this was an error about the codex in an article about the codex by the codex developers.:wtf:
Freudian slip maybe?

Cpt Corallis

Eulenspiegel
01-05-2009, 10:51
Well Jarran Kell has been WYSIWYG´ed. I´ve found a left handed powerfist. Alas, a rogue trader era Commissar had to bite it for that...

Straha
01-05-2009, 13:22

I just got the Codex today, and to be more truthful, I´m very "meh" about it.

Mind, if I just ripped his arm off and stuck it to that other guy, I would still be left
- with a lovingly half-painted mini I have no use for
- a Jarran Kell without a (left-handed) Power Fist

He could be a generic Standard Bearer, but that would still mean I´d have to rip his left arm off. I still remember what a bitch that Bolter strap was to get it look right.

(On the plus side: when I heard the rumours about Sergeants not getting Lasguns, I painted up Mr. Usual Subject #2 there; first "high standard" (by my standards I mean) I´ve painted for years.)

Sweet Jezuz, I wish I could play against armies painted as nicely as yours. That Sergeant is really nice.

As for the Codex changes, you have to figure whatever you are playing won't come out as good. It sucks, but the whole idea is to make everyone redesign their armies every few years. Once you sort things out, it will be fine.

The costs to start Guard are really high, but like other posters I watch Ebay. Also, I play against people who don't really care about the models being strictly GW. I just picked up over 100 Warzone models for $48.00 on Ebay. They are static as hell, but at less than .50 a model.............

For another twenty bucks I'll get a blend of Cadian & Catachan bits (heads, canteens, and such) and do them up. We don't have GW stores around here, so people don't really get upset about the models. It also leads to some really cool looking armies.

And lets be honest, for 90% of us it is all about the cool looking armies.

Mojaco
01-05-2009, 13:42
Can't you just cut off the bolter and replace it with a lasgun? Shouldn't be that much work.

Eulenspiegel
01-05-2009, 14:17
Thanks for the uplifting replies guys :)
For the not-so-uplifting ones: this thread was reall meant a little tongue-in-cheek. I am annoyed to have to work over some completed minis. Rearming Sergeants, rebasing my Missile Lancher teams, and converting said Standard Bearer into a respectable Jarran Kell counts-as.

Let me put it that way: if these are the only gripes I´ll have with the Guard codex, it will be my bible.

Doing over an already painted mini really is a major thing for me ... I just can´t get the time (and, alas, motivation) to paint as much as I have to ...
And Straha: thanks! :) But ... nice looking army ... more like 20 painted miniatures. That´s why I was griping.

Who can guess which italian stallion I built up to be painted next?
(I just have to greenstuff his crotchular region ... it didn´t look quite as bad prior undercoating ...)

Gloom
01-05-2009, 14:27
As i said in the other thread that popped up a few weeks ago, if an opponent is anal enough to call you on your sergeants having Lasguns, then chances are they arent worth playing against anyway.

Try telling that to all the people who dont live places with a ton of 40k players; alot of times there arn't other people to play with...

Lamoron
01-05-2009, 14:54
I think the new guard codex is a big chunk of vomit, concentrated into 104 pages of poor fluff and streamlined units that bore the hell out of me. I played six games with the new codex, trying and evaluating all the codex units, and then I put it on a shelf to collect dust.

I'd rather loose than play an utterly and completely boring army, and I've played Imperial Guard since 1996. Six games in the new Codex, and I started an Ork army... at least there I can make a fun army that's slightly effective, instead of the two available New IG armies.

a) Utterly horrible and only slightly amusing army...
b) Exceptionally powerfull but mind-destroying boring army...

Maybe I'll come back when Forge World manages to cook some alternative lists up that actually makes it fun again.

/whine out

Mojaco
01-05-2009, 15:10
How on earth did the guard get more boring?

Ubermensch Commander
01-05-2009, 15:17
I think the new guard codex is a big chunk of vomit, concentrated into 104 pages of poor fluff and streamlined units that bore the hell out of me. I played six games with the new codex, trying and evaluating all the codex units, and then I put it on a shelf to collect dust.

I'd rather loose than play an utterly and completely boring army, and I've played Imperial Guard since 1996. Six games in the new Codex, and I started an Ork army... at least there I can make a fun army that's slightly effective, instead of the two available New IG armies.

Maybe I'll come back when Forge World manages to cook some alternative lists up that actually makes it fun again.

/whine out

Interesting. My friends and I have had quite a different experience with the Guard book. I have my own gripes with it, but boring would not be one of them.
Dividing the Sentinels into two different types, several Hellhound varieties, bringing back Grffons and introducing things like the Collosus, etc, etc, has made one friend think to expand his guard and two others get back into them/start them up new (they had a lot of false starts with Guard and LatD...got small not quite legal army, played it, got smashed, said ******* it)

What makes you think they are boring?

Eulenspiegel
01-05-2009, 15:22
I guess he means the demise of doctrines (which I applaud).

Mojaco
01-05-2009, 15:55
Ahhh, the docrtines. Of which everyone use the same, unless you didn't want to win.

New guard are more varied then ever.

freddieyu
01-05-2009, 15:58

/whine out

I guess you do not like point b)...then play necrons with their current codex....because I know point A is not true with this codex...

Killgore
02-05-2009, 14:47

/whine out

did you play interesting scenarios/ missions or just bog standard line em up and knock em down games?

Guard in city fights are great fun :P

LupusNobilis
02-05-2009, 17:00
I still think Valkyries are hella expensive. BUT I have a local Hobby Lobby with ~$30 Chinook models for a nice proxy, so it's all good.

BuFFo
02-05-2009, 17:11
Sweet Jezuz, I wish I could play against armies painted as nicely as yours. That Sergeant is really nice.

As for the Codex changes, you have to figure whatever you are playing won't come out as good. It sucks, but the whole idea is to make everyone redesign their armies every few years. Once you sort things out, it will be fine.

The costs to start Guard are really high, but like other posters I watch Ebay. Also, I play against people who don't really care about the models being strictly GW. I just picked up over 100 Warzone models for $48.00 on Ebay. They are static as hell, but at less than .50 a model.............

For another twenty bucks I'll get a blend of Cadian & Catachan bits (heads, canteens, and such) and do them up. We don't have GW stores around here, so people don't really get upset about the models. It also leads to some really cool looking armies.

And lets be honest, for 90% of us it is all about the cool looking armies.

If you live in the US, Florida, you can attend the Necronomican. This is an Indy GT sanctioned by GW thats allows ANY wargaming figures to be used in your armies.

So if you live near Orlando (or like to travel), there is atleast one GW backed GT that allows non GW models. Been that way for more than a decade too.

Oguleth
02-05-2009, 18:06
I found the book pretty good, like most other new codex releases compared to say 3rd ed ones.

My only complaint about the content was the rather badly written rules on Orders. That really needs to be FAQed or something to make it clearer. And a small detail was the pics of models and such was pretty boring for once (no proper armyshots, just tonnes of various regiments single models..).

As I have never played Guard before, I can't theoryhammer the rules to see if I would find lists to be more fun or better or whatever than before however.

boogle
02-05-2009, 20:36
Things i'm finding bizarre:
- No Lasguns/Shotguns for Sergeants
- No Shotguns for non Veteran Squad Veterans
- No options for Bodyguards to exchange their LP/CCW for BP/PW, especially when the artwork shows a bodyguard with a PW
- Lack of Laspistol for Commissar (sort of buggers up my proposed conversion based on the best bit of commissar artwork ever - 2nd ed IG codex, Commissar standing ramrod straight firing a laspistol), also the fact that one of the Kreig Commissars comes with one
Heavy Weapons Squads having a single Lasgun with their Heavy Weapon, and Frag Grenades
Special Weapon Squads not having access to Grenades or the Lasgun for LP swap.

None of these directly affect me or my army choice as i left building the interesting stuff until i got the book in my hands, but does anyone find any of the above odd?

the1stpip
02-05-2009, 21:45
I have to say I like most of the new codex.

Priests should have been a squad upgrade, and should therefore be allowed a mount. But other than that, I have nothing to complain about.

I will probably change a few things around. Chuck some flamers into an infantry squad and combine them.

I would have liked some of the new characters to play with the FOC, and I shall not be using sentinels again. I have two to go with my Command Squad, but I can't now, as my FA choices are full, I can't even fit a Valkyrie in there.

But, at the end of the day, I have an extra 100 points to play with with the nw codex. Yay!

boogle
02-05-2009, 22:25
I have to say I like most of the new codex.

Priests should have been a squad upgrade, and should therefore be allowed a mount. But other than that, I have nothing to complain about.

For the guys who play for fun, just pay 5 points for your priest to be mounted.

Orwin
03-05-2009, 12:04
Use the old codex. Easy!

Commissar Vaughn
03-05-2009, 12:28
For laspistol armed commissars Im just assuming its some sort of powerful duelling pistol, which just happens to have similar characteristics to a boltpistol.

I suspect that for the most part people wont notice or care if your sergeants have a lasgun/shotgun instead of a laspistol. Half the people round here get confused if you show them an army with more than 40 models in it and none of them are wearing power armour anyway!

boogle
03-05-2009, 12:48
For laspistol armed commissars Im just assuming its some sort of powerful duelling pistol, which just happens to have similar characteristics to a boltpistol.

I suspect that for the most part people wont notice or care if your sergeants have a lasgun/shotgun instead of a laspistol. Half the people round here get confused if you show them an army with more than 40 models in it and none of them are wearing power armour anyway!

You're so right, but i try and play WYSIWYG as much as possible, even yesterday reconfiguring my lasgun toting Sergeants to having LP/CCW (or in other word they're just bared-headed lasgun troopers now and the new Sergeants have LP/CCW, but i'm sure you'll get my gist.

Straha
03-05-2009, 12:58
If you live in the US, Florida, you can attend the Necronomican. This is an Indy GT sanctioned by GW thats allows ANY wargaming figures to be used in your armies.

So if you live near Orlando (or like to travel), there is at least one GW backed GT that allows non GW models. Been that way for more than a decade too.

Thanks for the heads up. I live in Utah, but I like to travel. It has been raining here all weekend.

Go to Florida for the wargamming, stay for the weather. :)

Grand Master Raziel
03-05-2009, 13:32
Well, I, for one, don't miss doctrines because I never used them. My IG army began life as inductees to my Daemonhunters army, so I couldn't use them with doctrines there. When I got enough of them to make a standalone 1500pt army, I couldn't decide on which ones to use, and the new IG dex was rumored to only be about a year away (and even then the smart money was on the removal of doctrines), so I just said "the hell with it" and played them without. So, losing doctrines hasn't affected me in the slightest.

What does affect me a bit is the removal of Armored Fist Squads, as that was one of the Troops choices that could be inducted into a DH list. I used one AF Squad and one Infantry Platoon so I could take a Leman Russ. No worries though, because the Platoon was 45-men strong, so I can just split that up into 2 smaller Platoons, and even get an extra Chimera out of it, because they cost almost half as much as they used to.

Here's one thing I've been thinking of: Heavy Weapon Squads are part of Infantry Platoons now, and Platoons have the ability to merge squads into larger units. I've been toying with the idea of attaching a HW Squad to a Platoon and regularly having one of the squads merge with it to give it some expendable meatshields. I don't have the new dex yet, so I don't know if the squad merging will allow that kind of thing, and I'm also unsure how viable it is as a tactical idea. Thoughts?

boogle
03-05-2009, 13:40
You can't merge Heavy Weapon squads with infantry squads i'm afraid, only infantry squads can merge, however if you take 3 infantry squads, you can merge 2 together and send them forward and let the 3rd squad pull protection duty on the HW Squad