PDA

View Full Version : An Amusing valkyrie Thought..

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 18:51
So i was thinking about the valks 24" move and ramming.. along with scout..

not something i would ever do.. but...

scout to the side and line up a row of ork trucks parked side bye side..

move 18" and ram first one.. doing a strength 7 hit.

getting lucky and blowing it up.. then would be strength 8 vs next.. and 9 vs 3rd..

I just had the thought of a valk flying throu them dumping off a squad mid way as they hit each truck.. then the truck's doing theirKreen result flying off to the sides as you plow throu 3...

highly unlikley that it would work but i amused myself thinking about it :P

Lord Damocles
28-04-2009, 18:52
I had assumed the Valk' wasn't a tank.

Spacker
28-04-2009, 18:53
Only Tanks can ram, and the Valk isn't a tank ...

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 18:54
Only Tanks can ram, and the Valk isn't a tank ...

o rly... hadn't thought of it that much if it was really RaW legal :P

I dont Play Eldar but doe their skimmers count as tank ? :P

Gearhead
28-04-2009, 18:57
Eldar Tanks are, in fact, tanks. It says so in thier profile. A valkarie, being a flyer/skimmer thing cannot ram as it does not have the word "tank" anywhere near it's description.

I'm wondering if the reverse is possible, and Valkaries can be rammed (which would make less sense).

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 18:57
Eldar Tanks are, in fact, tanks. It says so in thier profile. A valkarie, being a flyer/skimmer thing cannot ram as it does not have the word "tank" anywhere near it's description.

I'm wondering if the reverse is possible, and Valkaries can be rammed (which would make less sense).

Valks would get the 3+ ( I think its a 3+) dodge save vs rams as skimmers do.

BobTheZombie
28-04-2009, 21:36
Well, I for one will use a looted Valkyrie in my Ork army with a Deffrolla on the front. Rules be damned, dogfights will be much more interesting in Apocalypse.

Frep
28-04-2009, 21:39
I just want to see a rhino smash into a valkerie at full speed. Now THAT'S a rhino rush, even though they have the same chance of going ka-blamo.

Kyrolon
28-04-2009, 21:47
I just want to see a rhino smash into a valkerie at full speed. Now THAT'S a rhino rush, even though they have the same chance of going ka-blamo.

Why am I getting an image of a Rhino hitting a small hill at 50 MPH and going airborne like the scene in Die Hard 4(?) Live Free or Die Hard with the car vs helicopter?

SimonL
28-04-2009, 22:31
Why am I getting an image of a Rhino hitting a small hill at 50 MPH and going airborne like the scene in Die Hard 4(?) Live Free or Die Hard with the car vs helicopter?

Space Marine Scout - "Man, you just blew up a Valk with a Rhino!"

Marneus Calgar - "Heh heh heh"...

FaztGitz
28-04-2009, 22:44
Its a skimmer, skimmers can tankshock but I wouldn't lol...

Murrithius
28-04-2009, 22:59
Only if they are also tanks.

Seen an Ork Trukk successfully ram a valk...

Iceheart2112
29-04-2009, 00:50
Only tanks can Tank Shock/Ram. There are tanks who are also skimmers, in which case they can Tank Shock/Ram. There are skimmers who aren't tanks, in which case they can not Tank Shock/Ram (Valkyrie being one of these). There are vehicles who are neither skimmers or tanks (Ork Trukk and Dreadnaughts being two of these), in which case they can not Tank Shock/Ram.

Apologies for the tone, but I have seen this tactic thrown around a bunch of times lately, and its been driving me nuts.

Warboss Antoni
29-04-2009, 01:27
I would say Ork Trukks could ram out of good-will, considering trukks are used as examples in the rulebook, they have wargear specific to ramming, and it's also orky.

szlachcic
29-04-2009, 01:46
Its a skimmer, skimmers can tankshock but I wouldn't lol...

This is not true. There is nothing wrong with a skimmer ramming if it is also classified as a Tank, such as a Falcon, but if it isn't, such as a Raider, then you are not allowed to.

Also, according to RAW, even if the vehicle can tank shock, such as Trukks or Raiders with appropriate upgrades, that does not allow it to Ram as it is still not classified as a Tank. I personally I have no problems with something like a Trukk equipped with a Reinforced Ram being allowed to Ram, but some might take issue with this.

Warforger
29-04-2009, 01:52
This thread gives me facepalms......

You get a mere bonus for being a tank, nothing saying Valks and Speeders can't ram. Also notice how they say "Vehicles" and not "tanks"

Vaktathi
29-04-2009, 02:13

You get a mere bonus for being a tank, nothing saying Valks and Speeders can't ram. Also notice how they say "Vehicles" and not "tanks"

Ramming is a special type of Tank Shock.

Only Tanks can Tank Shock.

the +1 for being a tank is there for taking the hit *back* (e.g. ramming a rhino is going to inflict a bigger hit back than ramming a DE Ravager as the Rhino is a tank).

Iceheart2112
29-04-2009, 02:19
Sweet Jeebus, would you like the page numbers?

Pg 68, second sentence: "Tanks follow the normal rules for vehicles, with the additions and exceptions given below." With Tank Shock being the very next section.

As for ramming, pg 69, under Ramming: "Ramming is a special kind of tank shock move and is executed in the same way, except that the tank must always move at the highest speed is its capable of."

You must be a tank to Tank Shock or Ram.

Again, apologies for the tone...I've not gotten any nicer it seems...

Gensuke626
29-04-2009, 02:23

That "Mere Bonus" for being a tank is not to designate that Non-Tanks can perform a Ram. The "bonus" is more like an indicator that Non-Tanks cause less damage to a Tank when they are Rammed. Remember, the Rammed tank does Damage to the Ramming tank.

MDMK
29-04-2009, 02:42
I am using battle mage dragons with guns attached for my vendettas.

Gensuke626
29-04-2009, 03:20
Chaos Vendettas?

StormWulfen
29-04-2009, 06:22
I am using battle mage dragons with guns attached for my vendettas.

that was so random, it took me a while to realise it wasn't part of the ramming arguement:p

slasher
29-04-2009, 07:36
heared one of the funniest thinks about ramming at a club last night - a wave serpent rammed a ravenger, ravenger was fine and the serpent blew up.

genestealer_baldric
29-04-2009, 07:51
but.. but.. but.. its a plane ive never heard of someone ramming a flying harrier in flight with a tank and so could a tank? .(no that rambo bit dosnt count)

Even when its dropping troops off its still higher above the ground look how high it is on its base.You can ram an eldar and tau skimmer becuase as the model show they float only a few feet above the ground, but you can easily place any 40k tank under the valk without touching it so no raming you silly people :)

if its the valk ramming something you should allow it but instantly also destroy the valk due to crashing into somthing hard and solid on the ground.