PDA

View Full Version : Harbingers of the Storm

Pages : [1] 2

Dezmord
28-04-2009, 20:56
Hello fellow warseers!

Once again I'm here with a new painting log - some of you might know my other two logs for Bad Moons and Thousand Sons. Several days ago I had the oportunity to buy some really cheap Necrons on ebay and I bought them just to try out how I would paint them.

As I had read the Medusa V campaign-booklet some time ago I remembered the story in there I liked most. It wasn't a big story, just a small narrative about a Necronlord called the "Bote der Stürme", which would be harbinger/messenger of storms. In apocalypse reload there is also a datasheet for this harbinger of storms and I wondered what he and his army would look like. Having an idea for a theme and some models at hand, I tried out paint scheme. I used scarabs for a test 'cause they are part of every warriorbox, so it wouldn't matter if I'd mess them up.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6893/scarab1.jpg

I tried to achieve a very cold appearnce, so I decided against any rust-effects and for a blue-ish metal. The eyes where painted in hawk turquoise as that's also a pretty cold colour.

Satisfied with the scarabs I tried my colourscheme on a warrior. A quick search of my kitchen gave me a blue cocktailstick (?) that I used to see how the warrior would like with a blue instead of the standard green rod in his weapon. Apart from the front part of his weapon, the warrior is pretty done.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4886/wipkrieger1.jpg

As you can see, the silver highlights are a bit harsh on this warrior, so I tried a second one and used a finer brush for the final highlights.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/6295/wipkrieger2.jpg

Dezmord
28-04-2009, 21:01
Trying the colourscheme on the warriors wasn't that satisfying, because their overall appearance depends strongly on the rod of their weapons - that's why I had to try it on a model that doesn't need a rod: a wraith.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9508/phantom1a.jpg
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/6972/phantom1b.jpg

I have to apologize for the harshness of the silver highlights on the photos. I have the same problem with pics of models with silver highlights in my ork log - somehow I'm not able to take pics that don't look like as if I had used a tankbrush to apply the silver on the miniatures....

I'd be interested to hear how you like the colourscheme and what you all think about using blue rods. Do the models look too plain by using only blue/blue-ish colours?

[sgt.Harris](voltarian)
28-04-2009, 21:09
I like them alot, i would like to try this scheme if i make a new army of them , but i may go for tau or dark eldar :D

anyways back to the scheme , it looks awesome and i like the idea of using blue cocktail sticks for the gauss chamber , it looks awesome! (man ive used that phrase twice)

subscribed :D

laters , volt

Dezmord
28-04-2009, 21:11
Thanks! I'd like to add that I intend to by some blue acryl rods instead of using cocktail sticks.

[sgt.Harris](voltarian)
28-04-2009, 21:14
that sounds like a good idea because they will probably be bigger then the cocktail sticks and you might get a bit more in a pack :)

[sgt.Harris](voltarian)
28-04-2009, 21:22
Btw i rated 5 stars, just thought id say that :)

swifty2
28-04-2009, 21:32
Nice work mate, they look really cool and the blue is a nice change.

BobTheZombie
28-04-2009, 22:25
Excellent, another Dezmord project. The blue tints add a lot of character to the silver, good work. What sort of army composition do you plan to end up with?

Dezmord
28-04-2009, 22:41
Thanks again! Seems like the colourscheme isn't such a bad idea ;)

What sort of army composition do you plan to end up with?
Good question. I bought 3 wraiths, a tombspider, 12 warriors, 3 scarabswarms and a mono for 70 euro on ebay. I think I'll just add a lord and battleforce and 1-2 destroyers to get a playable force.
There are no concrete plans for a competitive necron-army right now, as I'm still haveing much fun painting and playing my Bad Moons. This necron army might well be only a side project.
On the other hand, the painting of the wraith tokk only about 70 and the warior 30 minutes - so it shouldn't be too hard to get some results soon.

bob_the_small
28-04-2009, 23:20
Nice work on the highlights, although they could be a bit more subtle

Dezmord
03-05-2009, 18:02
Just a small update with no new pics yet.

I received all the stuff I bought on ebay in the last days and have to say that some of it was a complte mess. One wraith and the tombspider were covered in about 20 layers of badly applied metallic colour. It took two baths in paint remover and a scrubbing with ametal brush to get all the stuff off the models. there were also two "fingers" missing on the spider, so I had to build some from plasticcard.

Another important note would be that I was able to place an order for blue plasticrods at my local games store. they think it might take some time for the company to deliver, but that doesn't matter right now. I still have my orks to paint and I'm also able to paint all the necron-stuff that doesn't require rods.

only joking...
03-05-2009, 20:49
Very, very nice, love that blue

Ganymene
03-05-2009, 23:44
Glad to see you starting another project Dezmord. :)

I really like the blue metallic color for the Necrons. With those blue rods, they have a unique look without being too extreme.

If you were looking for more contrast, you could paint the eye a bright, contrasting color such as red or yellow. It would draw attention to them without taking away from the muted color scheme.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Dezmord
04-05-2009, 19:19
Glad to see you starting another project Dezmord.
Guess what? There might even be another project soon: after having read the IG codex I might rework some of my guard stuff - or even add some things... Time will tell... :angel:
But it's god to ahve people here in this log that already now my other stuff - so thanks for dropping in!

If you were looking for more contrast, you could paint the eye a bright, contrasting color such as red or yellow. It would draw attention to them without taking away from the muted color scheme.
As interesting as that would be, I won't do that. The reason is a simple one: I want to try out painting some models (or an army?) only in cold colours, so yellow or red would be a no-go.

I painted another wraith today:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1368/phantom2a.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6813/phantom2b.jpg

It took me even less time than the first one, so I also managed to start painting the tombspider.

Elazar The Glorified
04-05-2009, 20:32
These are really good Dezmord. It's amazing how much of a difference that blue makes to their appearance but I feel it gives them a bit more menace as I always found the green to be almost cartoony evil. Great stuff! :D

Ganymene
05-05-2009, 01:57
As interesting as that would be, I won't do that. The reason is a simple one: I want to try out painting some models (or an army?) only in cold colours, so yellow or red would be a no-go.

I can respect that. :) I think the cold colors look great on the Necrons.

The new Wraith looks awesome. I see you toned down the silver highlights a little bit. I also just noticed the source lighting on the eyes. It is subtle, but combined with the blue on the shoulder pads, it really produces a nice glowing effect on the whole model.

tinfoil
05-05-2009, 02:38
Nice work. I like the hard highlights, on this army. Works well with the cool colors and the general look of the army. Kind of cartoony, and vivid, and eerie. Great start.

lord marcus
05-05-2009, 03:04
very nice scheme there. the black/blue contrasts well

Inquisitor Engel
05-05-2009, 04:17
It's nice to see something interesting done to Necrons that isn't crazy or impossible to use for inspiration. Very sweet.

projectkmo
05-05-2009, 04:37
I don't normally click on Necron threads too often.... and I'll admit that your title had me curious and unawares that it was a Necron thread.

But WOW! Those are some of the coolest Necrons I've seen. I love the blue tint scheme. Very nice indeed! This is one Necron thread that I WILL continue to follow.

Dezmord
05-05-2009, 07:32
Thank you guys for the kind words!

I see you toned down the silver highlights a little bit.
At least I tried it - and since you noticed it, I guess it worked :D

I also just noticed the source lighting on the eyes.
It's my first try on source lightning so any criticism is highly appreciated! There will be more source lighning on the tombspider.

I don't normally click on Necron threads too often.... and I'll admit that your title had me curious and unawares that it was a Necron thread.
The thread-title was intentional: I also seldom looked at necron-threads...

Dezmord
05-05-2009, 22:09
Some more work on the necrons:

The tomspider is redy. It took me about two hours yesterday evening and half an hour this evening - it looks like this will be the fastest army I've ever painted!

I tried a source lightning effect on her eyes, so pic number three is an extree close-up to show that. If you have any ideas how to improve the effect - please let me know them!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6886/gruftspinne1a.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8719/gruftspinne1b.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/594/gruftspinne1c.jpg

Ganymene
06-05-2009, 10:15
The Tomb Spider is looking great!

The lighting effect on it's head is very similar to your Ork energy field effect. It gives it a very unique look, but I think it is more of an 'electricity' look, rather than 'light'. Personally, I think it looks awesome. :)

The source lighting on the eyes of the Wraith is excellent. Did you use the same technique on the Tomb Spider as you did on the Wraith?

Caprosmaster
06-05-2009, 11:07
awesome work there, 5 stars easily..

oh and it would be some extreme kudos to you if you HAd painted those highlights with a tank brush( i know you didnt), mine are like that with a normal brush :p

Caprosmaster

Dezmord
06-05-2009, 14:06
Thanks again for the encouragement!

The source lighting on the eyes of the Wraith is excellent. Did you use the same technique on the Tomb Spider as you did on the Wraith?
Yes, it's painted in the same way. Only difference is that the wraith has a bigger brow, so I painted the light only underneath the eyes where the eyes are supposed to shine on. The tombspider is a bit different. It has no brow, so I painted the light all around the eyes.

I got somehow bad news from my lgs: the plasticrod I ordered will probably take a month 'til it will be delivered - it's completely out of stock at the production company :cries: So it looks like I still won't get any warriors done and have to go on with the stuff that doesn't need a rod.

Tsen
06-05-2009, 17:34
These crons are looking sweet, really like what you did with the blue, I've always had that same idea to change out the green stick with another colour, only I was going to do them red.

Xarius
06-05-2009, 18:16
very neat and literally cool looking

Saradiart
11-05-2009, 16:28
neat 'crons, I like...
love the painting scheme, I also use blue on my crons, it makes em look refined and highly technological

love to see more!
laterzzz

bora
13-05-2009, 13:57
Dezmord. I hate you :-)

Ok, I admit they look great and I hope your skills will somehow transfer into my hands and brain as well :P

Maybe when we meet for the game in june we can make a 2vs2 together as Necrons?

Dezmord
14-05-2009, 18:07
Small progress on my necrons: the plasticrods finally arrived!

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1785/plastikstab.jpg

When I first saw the rods (there was no pic in the catalogue), I was quite disappointed, as they are so light, compared to the dark blue cocktail-stick in the picture. On the other hand, this might be quite good, as a stronger blue diverts the attention maybe too much from the actual paintjob of the miniatures. Now I'm gonna try it on my two test warriors - hopefully I'll be able to post ome pics of them tonight.

BobTheZombie
14-05-2009, 20:27
The pale blue could work. The unsettling thing about your colour scheme is that the colours you use are not traditionally considered menacing or aggressive, so I think it could work. You're subverting the traditional imagery associated with light blue, so the subtle shading of the rods will be fine I think.

@ bora, I browsed through your log the other day, you have some excellent stuff there. don't be so self deprecating :p

Dezmord
14-05-2009, 20:43
Ok, here's the first test-warrior. Remember, it's the first testwarrior I had painted, so all the highlights are a bit bold. unfortunately, I had a problem with my varnish - which means that all the colours are a bit dull...

I'm not sure if this unfortunate warrior will be part of the army :(

Anyway, I think the model should suffice to show how the overall look of my colourscheme together with the light-blue rods.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8114/krieger1.jpg

RTJ
14-05-2009, 21:26
You could dry brybrushing the silver instead of edge highlighting - would work particularly well if you used a very thin blue wash....

Dezmord
14-05-2009, 22:01
Thanks for the input RTJ. The model in the last pic is actually only my very first test-model, to see what the paintscheme looks like. At the moment I'm already drybrushing all the models with chainmail over a boltgun metal undercoat before giving everything a blue wash. Final highlights are applied as "fine" as possible - an example for this would be the last wraith I have posted.

Dezmord
14-05-2009, 22:49
Sorry for the doublepost, but I am really unhappy with the ast warrior pic - mainly because of the damnable dullcoat-varnish...

I quickly got the second warrior done. Still not perfect (I have to be more careful with the brows!), but at least the colours are more vivid:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/20/krieger2.jpg

warflag
14-05-2009, 23:28
Like all your stuff, this is of very good quality. The colour choice fits the necros very well, better than the default scheme.
The OSL on that tomb spider (?) is real cool.

Keep it up.

Cheers
Bart

Ganymene
15-05-2009, 01:39
The new rods aren't better or worse, they are just different.

They give it an 'icy' feel rather than a cold or muted feel. I think they work out pretty well.

Incoming
15-05-2009, 01:50
Coolest Necron army I have seen.

DirtJumper
15-05-2009, 04:44
Nice stuff. That Tomb Spider in particular is just spot-on!

Dezmord
15-05-2009, 10:07
@bora: Sure, a 2v2 would be a nice idea - seems like I have a deadline for the necrons now ;)

@warflag: Thanks for stopping by. I have to admit, that the OL of your scriptor was one the reasons that I wanted to give it a try - but I feel like I'm still far away from the OL results that you achieve.

@Ganymene: I was a bit disappointed when I saw the rods for the first time as I was used to the test-cockstil-stick. I decided to just "sleep over it" (that's something like a german proverb: "to let something go/settle and take a closer look the other day") - result is, that I think I like the "icy-look", as you describe it - and, as no-one protested 'til now, it seems like the rest of the posters in this plog would agree with me :D

@Incoming/DirtJumper: Thanks for the cmpliments, I appreciate them!

I took anopther pic this morning, just to show how the different models in this army fit together. Here it is:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2473/gruppenfoto1.jpg

Elazar The Glorified
15-05-2009, 11:03
I really liked the blue-er rods you had to start with and when you posted the pics of the new ones before they went on the test subjects I was very dubious as to how they would look. But seeing them on the models makes me think they look great. They don't hog the focus of your minis as much and the icy feel as Ganymene describes it is brilliant they're pure cold killers. Definitely like the way they've improved the effect of the army :D

Hauk
15-05-2009, 12:33
Very nice stuff here :)

Hauk

bora
16-05-2009, 00:09
When we meet, you will have the honor to take nice pictures of my models like you do, as you obviously have the lightbox and lightning for it :)

Dezmord
16-05-2009, 11:43
@Elazzar: Glad to hear that the rods even improved the look! The decision is made: the rods will stay this way :chrome:

@bora: A lightbox? I don't use one. It's just a sheet of paper (actually it's the backside of a letter from the local financial-office...) under a normal desk-light. But surely I could take some pics of your minis.

Finished the third wraith (only about 1 hour work - I'm getting faster painting necrons by the minute):

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/476/phantom3.jpg

And here's the group-shot of the finished unit:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3465/phantome.jpg

bora
16-05-2009, 12:01
They look soo clean and shiny.... niiice. Must be the latest Tombworld patch v.2.4? :D

Mine used to look very gritty and rusty but they slowly get their polished plates, so they have a nicer touch.

PS: Damn, Finanzamt papers? I wouldn't dare to put my nice models on that kind of heresy! ;)

Dezmord
17-05-2009, 11:01
They look soo clean and shiny.... niiice. Must be the latest Tombworld patch v.2.4?
I wanted to try a look that makes them appear cold, menacing and old - but GW rust-scheme looks like all the models will fall apart in a few moments. When I see some of GW's necrons I always wonder how the necrontyr manged to conquer a galaxy when their main problem was that all their technology rusted into oblivion...

PS: Damn, Finanzamt papers? I wouldn't dare to put my nice models on that kind of heresy!
It adds to the menace of the army :evilgrin:

Dezmord
22-05-2009, 12:29
Hi again!

This is not really a complete update but more like a "I'm still here!". The last days had been pretty busy with real life, so there was only little time for 40k. I still managed to at least build some models and started painting a few.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6446/currentstatus.jpg

My plan is to get the scarabs and one squad of warriors done, with a lord on destroyer body next. After that I'll paint a second warrior-squad to be able to play some, albeit small, games with the necrons.

bora
22-05-2009, 12:33
Looking good Dezmord,

I made some pictures and progress but I had no time to post them :(

Also I started an Eldar army some days ago, which is so much more fun to build and convert... I did a dozen jetbikes in a night ;-)

PS: the destroyers can assume some nice shooting poses with a bit of tinkering, I will post one or two on my plog today - maybe you like it.

Elazar The Glorified
22-05-2009, 12:47
Looking forward to seeing these guys painted Dezmord.

Dezmord
22-05-2009, 12:56
PS: the destroyers can assume some nice shooting poses with a bit of tinkering, I will post one or two on my plog today - maybe you like it.
I would indeed be interested in some examples - I found the kit to be a bit "restricting"...

Ganymene
22-05-2009, 22:28
I think those Destroyers will look great with the icy blue paint scheme.

Will they be getting some source lighting like the Tomb Spider?

bob_the_small
22-05-2009, 22:46
Thats such a cool idea with those blue rods!!!

Dezmord
23-05-2009, 09:08
Will they be getting some source lighting like the Tomb Spider?
At least a little. I 'm going to give all the eyes of my necrons some SL and as the destroyers have foru of thme, there should be a little more SL than on the wraiths.

Dezmord
23-05-2009, 22:51
Another update: Even though I had only little time, I wanted to get some models done - so I decided to paint three more scarab-swarms:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8650/scarab2m.jpg

I also painted all the metal parts of one warrior and tried to improve the final mithril-highlight - more of him when I have him ready.

Caiphas Cain
23-05-2009, 23:01
These are THE coolest looking Necrons I have ever seen. Ever. The blue gives the models a cold, crule, uncairing look to them. 5* easy!

Ganymene
25-05-2009, 10:10
Metallic gribblies!

With small models like that, it's nice be able to get a whole unit finished quickly.

xedric
25-05-2009, 10:30
Blue is so nice and cool on necrons. Id go with a warmer base though to contrast but thats just me.

Beautiful paintjob. You make it look so simple and easy :P

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 00:15
@Caiphas Cain: Thanks a lot - that's exactly the feel I wanted to create for the army!

@Ganymene: Next unit will be the warriors. Only 8 more to go...

@xedric: Normally I'd agree with you on the contrasting base, but I think it would disturb the overall feel of this army.

I promise, that this is the last pic of a single warrior that I'm going to post - it's only because I think I've managed to get a better final highlight on the metallics.
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6937/krieger3.jpg

a dying fashon
26-05-2009, 07:11
never liked necrons til now good job might have to borrow that scheem if its ok with you?

Neo Ninja
26-05-2009, 07:40
Awesome colour scheme, blue is a brilliant difference to the normal metallic schemes.

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 08:05
@a dying fashon: Sure - borrow whatever you like :)

@Neo Ninja: Thank you mate!

Dayspringer
26-05-2009, 16:37
I'm going to repeat what others have said, normally I find necrons kinda dull, but these guys are sweet. I wasn't sold on the pale rod at first, but it's grown on me. You could maybe use the much bluer one on your lord, make him stand out a bit more?

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 16:48
@Dayspringer: Thanks! Interesting idea - I built a destoryerlord this morning and I might try it out.

make him stand out a bit more?
I've got a nice idea for a lord on foot, involving the nightbringers base, some green stuff and several other parts - he'll hopefully be a centerpiece :D

bora
26-05-2009, 16:51
Damn Dezmord, you are advancing faster than me with your Necrons :-)

Good job, they look fantastic!

Verkehr
26-05-2009, 18:46
Crikey; I'd happily commit murder to get my Necrons looking as good as that! Congratulations on such a fine force of coldhearted murder machines.

On a sidenote, do you paint the weapon arm and main body seperately before gluing them together? It's just that I find trying to paint the model in one piece a pain and it means I can't get at the chest of back of the flayer as easily as I'd like, but painting the models seperately takes ages.

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 22:05
@bora: :D I'd like the necrons to reach 1500 points until the end of june, if possible.

@Verkehr:

On a sidenote, do you paint the weapon arm and main body seperately before gluing them together?
Nope, I don't paint them separately - I admit that it's a bit complicated to paint the chest, but I always mess up infantrysized models when I paint them in separate parts...

As some people have asked how I paint the army and that the army progresses pretty fast, I thought I'd try a step-by-step guide with pics of some models.

Step 1: Prime models with chaos black spray

Step 2: Paint models boltgun metal

Step 3: Wash metal parts with badab black - after that, the models should look like this:
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/513/wipt.jpg
The models shown in the pic took me about one hour to get to this step.

Next steps will follow as I go on painting these models.

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 22:23
Step 4: All metal parts, except the scythe of the lord and the bayonet (?) on the gauss flayers are heavily brushed with chainmail (watered down a bit to make it smoother)
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4743/wip2z.jpg

Took ten minutes for the whole bunch.

Dezmord
26-05-2009, 22:42
Step 4: All parts that received the chainmail during the last step (ecept the tubes) are heavily washed with asurmen blue - takes another 10 minutes.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5961/wip3k.jpg

As I'm tired now, I'll stop this guide for today and go on tomorrow.

Ganymene
27-05-2009, 10:43
Nice tutorial Dezmord, the blue wash really makes the difference on the metal. And with every step going so quickly, the army will be finished in no time.

I look forward to seeing that Lord fully painted too.

Dezmord
28-05-2009, 18:07
Step 5: This is one of the most important and time consuming steps: All edges on the metal are carefully highlighted with mithril silver. The bayonets and the warscythe also received some silver lines.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8997/wip4m.jpg

This step took me on the models shown about 85 minutes (45 for the warriors and 40 for the destoryerlord).

Dezmord
28-05-2009, 22:23
Step 5: Time to get them more colourful: Necron Abyss was used to paint the weapons, joints on arms and knees, the trims of the shoulders and the small breastplates.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7592/wip5d.jpg
30 minutes for this step.

Step 6: I mixed two drops of skull white with some necron abyss to give the blue parts a first highlight.
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3281/wip6d.jpg
Took about 25 minutes.

Dezmord
30-05-2009, 10:08
And here's the next step of my little tutorial:

Step 7: I took the mix from step 6 and added some more skull white. I used the new mis to further highlight the blue parts. Be careful to make this highlight even finer than the last one!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6513/wip7.jpg
Again 25 minutes.

Rik a Kadrin Kazad
30-05-2009, 10:57
Looking great :)

Ganymene
31-05-2009, 05:43
Wow, those highlights really bring out the blue in the weapons.

The Mithril Silver also really lightens up the metals, and gives them that cold steel look.

bora
31-05-2009, 09:18
Dezmord, how about a complete army shot to see how far you have come?

Tyruin son of Ages
31-05-2009, 09:47
I like these, because although i am a massive fan of necron background, i hate the models with the exception of the c'tan which i love.
But the way you have painted these is wonderful, really makes them look evil and ancient as necrons should be.
Are you going to include a c'tan in your force? I would love to see how you would do the nightbringer :p
Tyruin out.

Dimitrios
31-05-2009, 10:32
I like these, because although i am a massive fan of necron background, i hate the models with the exception of the c'tan which i love.
But the way you have painted these is wonderful, really makes them look evil and ancient as necrons should be.
Are you going to include a c'tan in your force? I would love to see how you would do the nightbringer :p
Tyruin out.

I second that!

Dezmord
31-05-2009, 16:35
Step 8: The final blue highlights: Taking the blue mix from step 7, I added even more white for the final highlights. These were applied to the most prominent parts only, like the tips of the weapons. Also part of this step was the drybrushing of the bases with a 50:50 mix of chaos black and space wolves grey. The symbols on the breastplates of the warriors were painted in mithril silver, the ones on the lord with shing gold and highlights with mithril silver.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9059/wip8n.jpg
30 minutes for this step.

Dezmord
31-05-2009, 17:28
Step 9: All the tubes and the eyes were painted with hawk turquoise. I applied an SL effect under the eyes by mixing skull white with hawk turquoise. Additional layers were painted by mixing more and more skull white into the turquoise. The bases received a final drybrush with space wolves grey.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7331/wip9.jpg
20 minutes for this step.

All the painting is done on the warriors and the lord could also be considered finished but I want to go a bit further with him.

Alltogether the painting for 5 warriors and a destroyerlord took me about 5 hours.
Left to do is the gras on the bases, varnishing everything and putting the plasticrods into the weapons.

@bora: I'm going to finish the last warriors for the first squad first, then I'll take a groupshot.

@Tyruin son of Ages/Dimitrios: I'm sorry, but I have to disappoint you: There will be no C'Tan in this army, as our gamingclub has banished the use of special characters (consent of all players).

Dezmord
31-05-2009, 18:31
Ok, some further work was done on the lord and I think he's finished now.

Meet Lord Vash:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8830/lordvashdestroyerlord.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7786/lordvashdestroyerlord2.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6872/lordvashdestroyerlord3.jpg

xedric
01-06-2009, 08:31
Looks very very nice. Im impressed.

Ganymene
01-06-2009, 11:15
The Lord looks awesome!

I really like the symbols on the Destroyer hull, they will make him stand out from the other models in the army. I think free-handing the symbols was a great idea because they match up with the icy theme of the army. If you had use the transfer ones, they would have looked out of place.

Nice work!

Elazar The Glorified
01-06-2009, 11:51
Lord Vash looks absolutely brilliant. Top painting from you as ever Dezmord. The freehand looks great, very well done and very very effective! :)

spekkiebig
01-06-2009, 13:46
The models you've painted so far look pretty sweet Dezmord. Nice break from the orks i guess. I like to see hoe the Monolith will look in this colour scheme. Do you have a blue crystal for it?

Proiteus
01-06-2009, 13:47
Excellent modeling love the clean cold look of the necrons good work with the rod changes.

Any chance of a monolith? :D

Devillocks
01-06-2009, 15:30
Ok, some further work was done on the lord and I think he's finished now.

Meet Lord Vash:

My first thought was "Meet George Jetson" lol. Hard to come up with a comment that hasn't already been said, but these are some very scary models, the blue is a excellent choice. Looking at the groups, you almost can hear this quiet, soothing humming sound coming from them as they "sterilize" the area you are in :). Keep up the good work, can't wait to see a complete army picture! Cheers!

Dezmord
01-06-2009, 18:44
Thank you all for the kind words!

@Ganymene:
If you had use the transfer ones, they would have looked out of place.

I hate these transfer sheets. I tried them in my early days of 40k and never manegd to use them properly...

@Proiteus/spekkiebig: There will definately be a monolith! I already have some ideas to exchange the crystal with a more mechanical device. The main problem I have with the mono ATM is what I could do with the portal. Ideas are greatly appreciated!

@Devillocks: :p

I had planned on working a bit on some more warriors today, but for reasons unknown, I ended painting a destroyer. Here it is:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4489/destroyer1a.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5863/destroyer1b.jpg:p

Dezmord
01-06-2009, 21:44
The destroyer wasn't the only thing done today. I've also built some more warriors and finished the last base for my scarab-swarm. Here's the whole unit:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9418/gruppenfotoscarabs.jpg

bob_the_small
01-06-2009, 22:17
I absolutely love your paint scheme, simple and effective, well done sir....

Proiteus
01-06-2009, 22:24
Wow that destroyer is awesome, too bad about the codex being 2 editions behind rules wise.

only joking...
02-06-2009, 20:35
Another very impressive log Dezmord!

Dezmord
03-06-2009, 10:52
Thanks again!

@Proiteus:
Wow that destroyer is awesome, too bad about the codex being 2 editions behind rules wise.

I hope the army won't do too bad... Our gamingclub usually plays for fun, with competitive, but not tournament oriented players. My whole army is chosen by the look of the models and theoretical analysis - I have no clue if it will work on the battlefield ;)

I did some more painting yesterday (4 warriors) and can proudly announce the first finished squad of warriors (2 more squads to go):

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3016/gruppenfotokrieger1.jpg

spekkiebig
03-06-2009, 11:31
Since it is a fairly thin piece, couldn't you make a portal by making a cast of it with some pva glue mixed with blue ink/wash/paint? Or just paint a portal on the monolith if you feel up to the task.

Ganymene
04-06-2009, 10:31
I really like the Destroyer, the highlight on the barrel of the gun make it look like it's glowing.

The Warriors also look very nice. The unit looks cold and menacing all together like that.

I didn't notice this until now, but those 'legs' on the Scarabs' sides, are they the same things as the three on either side of the Destroyer bodies? Did you consider painting them black with blue highlights like on the Destroyers?

Keep up the great work!

Dezmord
04-06-2009, 11:15
@spekkiebig: thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in my mind.

@Ganymene: The scarabs have small legs and the destroyers have vents, but yes, I had tried to paint them in dark blue on the scarabs, but it looked out of place 'cause the models are so tiny.

Since you liked the first destroyer, here's a pic of the second one I painted yesterday:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2711/destroyer2.jpg

Nocturn
04-06-2009, 11:38
von deiner signatur her denk ich mal du sprichst auch deutsch ;)

deswegen mal auf deutsch: echt klasse, des blau sieht echt mal anders auch, auch schön mit den andersfarbigen energiestäben, des war ne gute idee :) und sieht auch super aus, wie die Bases zu den Necrons kontrastieren, mach weiter so :)

english:
really good, the blue is a good variation to the other standard necron colors, especially nice with the blue energysticks, very nice idea :) and it is also super, how the bases contrast with the necrons, keep it up :)

Noc

Dezmord
04-06-2009, 23:08
@Nocturn: Ja, das hast Du ganz richtig erkannt :D und vielen Dank für's reinschauen!

Here's the next project for my necrons: The Messenger, a necron lord on foot, with staff of light and ressurection orb.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3971/wipmessenger1.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/452/wipmessenger2.jpg

I started with bulking out his shoulders with brown stuff, as they seemed to small for such a highranking model - it looks like GW copied the design of the warriors for the lord, and not the one of the immortals...
The base is the one from the nightbringer, with additional scarabs to make it broader for the lord to stand on. The orb and the tipp of his staff are from the destroyer-lord kit. I had to clip several pieces off the warscythe the model usually carries, to be able to give the lord a reasonably sized staff (it's still a bit bigger than normal).

Indreth
05-06-2009, 13:10
Ich muss mich Nocturn anschließen :) echt mal was anderes zu den üblichen grünen Gaußwaffen. Echt eine gute Sache, vorallem das Thema der Armee. Umbedingt weitermachen!! Ich werd hier öfter mal vorbeischaun.

English:
Nice army. I like the blue gauss-weapons, it's different to the typical green ones. continue work!

MfG

Aegius
05-06-2009, 13:34
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/452/wipmessenger2.jpg

Is it my imagination or does it look like hes dropped all his m&ms. No wonder he is angry. :)

A very nice looking necron army, I like the move away from green and into blue. It makes them look even less living.

Ganymene
07-06-2009, 08:06
The larger shoulder pads give the Lord more presence, they should have been designed like that originally. The Warscythe also looks suitably deadly with that double blade on the end. Nice work Dezmord, simple but effective!

Looking forward to seeing him painted!

Kriegfreak
07-06-2009, 09:42
If someone can make necrons look good, that usually says something.

Talent.

keep it up.

Dezmord
08-06-2009, 10:24
Thanks again for commenting!

For the sake of completeness: the next batch of warriors, painted on sunday.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7535/krieger4.jpg

Next will be the lord.

Dezmord
08-06-2009, 16:48
I had some free time this afternoon, so I painted the lord on foot:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4029/messenger1.jpg

Edzard
08-06-2009, 18:44
Your Necrons look really cool! Are you hoping for a new 'dex?

Nocturn
08-06-2009, 19:09
really sweet so far, i like them.
the orb of your lord is really nice , also the eyes are.
keep it up :)

Ganymene
09-06-2009, 06:34
The Warriors look great as always. :)

The Lord is fantastic! He will definitely stand out from the other models as the force commander. The eyes look great, and the staff looks suitably high tech.

bora
09-06-2009, 11:18
Looking great Dezmord. Please make a shot of all the minis you have painted so far!

Tyruin son of Ages
10-06-2009, 10:10
Love your lord, looks very powerful and spooky! keep up the good work!

Mega Nutz
10-06-2009, 11:13
Really liking these, especially the effect you've obtained with the orb... fantastic!

Dezmord
12-06-2009, 23:38
Thank you all for stopping by!

@Edzard: Yes, a new 'dex would be nice, but I think the old one should suffice for now. We have lots of younger players in our gaming club, and I don't need the most competitive army there.

@bora: I'll promise I'll take a shot on sunday!

Here's destroyer number 3, which I painted today:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2589/destroyer3.jpg

BobTheZombie
12-06-2009, 23:47
Good stuff as always Dezmord, although your new Destroyer looks like he's just spotted an acquaintance and is returning their greeting. Good conversion on the Lord too, job well done there. Will we be seeing a Monolith?

Kriegfreak
13-06-2009, 06:37
Love it. I think the extreme highlights work perfectly with necrons.

Ganymene
13-06-2009, 08:46
You're making nice steady progress on the Necrons Dezmord.

The new Destroyer looks great. I can really see the blue metal from that angle.

Looking forward to seeing everything together!

Dezmord
13-06-2009, 10:16
@Bob:
Will we be seeing a Monolith?
Yes, you will. I'm currently priming one.

@Ganymene:
Looking forward to seeing everything together!
Me too ;) I hope I'll be able to get a playable army of 1500 points done 'til the end of june.

Here's the next progress: some immortals.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5323/extinctoren1.jpg

bora
13-06-2009, 10:51
What amazes me the most is, that you havent played them yet. Am I right? :)

If so, I think its a huge effort to paint an army before playing - respect!

Dezmord
13-06-2009, 11:04
What amazes me the most is, that you havent played them yet. Am I right?
You're right. I started painting a few models and wrote a 2000 points list after that - the first game with the necrons will be on june, the 27th. I hope the army will work...

Elazar The Glorified
13-06-2009, 13:39
The newest Destroyer looks great and I love the Immortals. I think they're great models and your paint scheme really suits them. Particularly like the effect of the metal on the 'bayonet' style fixings on their weapons.
Hope your first game goes well, I have no experience of Necrons whatsoever but I've heard they can struggle a bit as the game has left them behind some!

Dezmord
13-06-2009, 17:24
Weekend always has some spare time for painting, so I started working on some more warriors and on the monolith. I ainted it's front, just to try out the colours.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7241/wipmono1.jpg

I haven't glued the porta in it's place yet, but despite it being green, I think it could work with my cold colours and the blue rods.

Fold
13-06-2009, 18:18
You've made necrons look good, so well done. Really like this army. :)

However, I gotta say you need to repaint that portal - the green just doesn't work with your colour palette IMO.

spekkiebig
13-06-2009, 18:18
Telling by the pace in wich you paint Dezmord, you don't have much of a social life... :D ... and it al looks so nice to. I wouldn't go for the green portal though as it distract to much from the overall colour scheme. You'll figure out a way to make it nice and blue i'm sure.

bora
13-06-2009, 18:58
Now you see the horror of painting highlights on large armor plates... I hate it. Its so damn hard to draw straight lines.

The others are right, the portal doesn't match. Maybe have a grey undercoat and ink blue? similar to the resorb I suggest.

Ganymene
13-06-2009, 22:27
The Immortals look awesome! The white face masks fit them perfectly.

The Monolith is looking good so far. I like the robo-insects. The symbol above the portal also looks excellent.

Though, I have to agree with everyone else, the green portal looks out of place. My suggestion would be the same as bora's. I think if you painted the portal like the Resurrection Orb (blue and white and swirly), it would look fantastic.

I think the biggest problem you are going to have is when it is time to put the large crystal on top. Maybe you can find a plastic crystal at a local shop or something that matches the color of the rods.

Dezmord
13-06-2009, 23:50
Ok, everyone seems to be against the portal, so I'll have to do something about it. I guess I'll go with boras and Ganymenes suggestion and paint the portal like the orb - thanks you guys for the idea!

I think the biggest problem you are going to have is when it is time to put the large crystal on top. Maybe you can find a plastic crystal at a local shop or something that matches the color of the rods.
I don't want to use a crystal - I'm currently trying to build a more technical looking device to use instaed of a crystal.

Kriegfreak
14-06-2009, 10:02
Do a blue portal similar to the rest of your stuff and you are good to go. Though honestly even in its current state its awesome man. If it was painted like the orb (I see you said you would be painting it like that) theN I can't wait to see it changed!

Dezmord
14-06-2009, 10:05
Telling by the pace in wich you paint Dezmord, you don't have much of a social life...
lol - Have no fear, I'm quite social :D I'm just a steady painter who tries to paint on a regular basis.

Ok, I started work on the "technical device" for the mono. Bear in mind, that this is just the start and nowhere finshed:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5885/wipmono2.jpg

I thought about adding some cables to the upper and lower "corners". Any ideas how to improve the thing?

Caprosmaster
14-06-2009, 10:10
very nice, altough i agree some cabling would like very nice

Black_Omega
14-06-2009, 10:43
Wow necrons that look awesome. I never thought it was possible. Keep it up!

Dezmord
14-06-2009, 22:25
@Kriegfreak: The decision is made - I'll paint the portal.

@Caprosmaster: I'm currently waiting for some GS to dry, then I'll see if some cables can improve the thing.

I had promised a groupshot of everything painted so far:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3418/gruppenfotoarmee2.jpg
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9567/gruppenfotoarmee3.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6976/gruppenfotoarmee1.jpg

I'm quite pleased wth the progress so far - I started on April, 28th, and I've got already about 1k points painted.

Word Bearer
14-06-2009, 23:00
Wow, the blue certainly works ALOT better than the traditional green, though think the darker blue cocktails work better then the rods (bit late to say now though I guess).

Can't wait to see the finished Monolith

bob_the_small
14-06-2009, 23:28
You say you use blue cocktail sticks? What are they exactly?

That monolith looks likea good start and the army looks great.... pity they have such limited choices

Konstantine
15-06-2009, 05:09
will not copy you and do the same type of necron, or necrons at all in general... must resist uhhhhh....
-Calvin

spekkiebig
15-06-2009, 07:03
The army so far looks great. The blue colourscheme realy makes them look even more menacing. I'm curious how the finished device will look on your Monolith. It's nice to see someone do something original to a Monolith for once.

Ganymene
15-06-2009, 07:52
The whole army looks fantastic together! The wide angle shot really shows off the glowing effects on their weapons.

I'm glad you decided to do something unique with your Monolith. I think a 'device' will work very well.

Maybe if you suspended the 'device' with the cables (in real life), so it would appear to be floating above the hole in the top of the Monolith. With the cables slack (on the model), it could look like it is just hovering up there all by itself.

Dezmord
16-06-2009, 13:04
@Word Bearer: The daker blue cocktail-sticks were just a test. To get enough of them, I would have needed to buy dozens of packages with all colours inside, just to get enough blue ones for one unit...

@Konstantine: You know you cannot resist.... get some Necrons! :chrome:

I've tried some cables on the device, but it looked eiter silly or just out of place. Instead, I added some spikes, between which the energie of the device could build up (at least that's my imagination...).

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/835/wipmono3.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9269/wipmono4.jpg

Ganymene
16-06-2009, 18:19
The device keeps getting more and more interesting, I like the addition of the blades. It looks like they would be the part of a focusing array for some sort of weapon.

I'm very interested in how it is going to turn out. :)

Dezmord
17-06-2009, 22:46
Here I am with the next update. I think it's the most important step in the painting of this army (with the exception of the progress of finding a colourscheme): I'm done with my second warriorsquad, which means that I have the two required troops and the required HQ and I am able now to field a completely painted and legal army of 1200 points!

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/156/gruppenfotokrieger2.jpg

Dezmord
18-06-2009, 00:04
Hi again,

I just managed to schedule my first game. It will be a 1750 points game on the 27. of june against a CSM army.

My list will look like this:

Lord (Orb, Veil)
Lord (Warscythe, Destroyerbody, Phaseshifter)

8 Immortals - 6 still need to be painted

11 Warriors
11 Warriors

3 Wraiths
6 Scarabs (D-Field)
5 Destroyers - 2 still need to be painted

Tombspider
Monolith - 1/3 of painting is done

As I only want to use painted models, I'll have some work for the next days...

Aurelius 12
18-06-2009, 01:22
Unlike a lot of people here I really like the Necron models anyway, but your blue scheme is just fantastic! I love it and I can't wait to see how that device turns out when painted.

Ice cold and deadly; just the way I like my millenia old killing machines!

Ganymene
18-06-2009, 11:17
I've never faced off against Necrons, but from what I do know that looks like a solid list. Going up against the Chaos Marines will be tough, but hopefully you can take them down.

Be sure to take some pictures to show off the army in action.

Dezmord
19-06-2009, 16:14
@Aurelius 12: Nice to see that I'm not the only one liking the necron-model-range!

@Ganymene: From what I know, my opponent will field a mostly nurgle-dedicated CSM army - not really the best match for necrons with their severe lack of AP1/2 weapons... But we'll see. I'll see to it that I can take some pics!

I worked some more on the monolith. Both sides, the front and the device are painted now.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9963/wipmono5.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3269/wipmono6.jpg

Things left to do are:

- the portal (will be painted like the devices' blades)
- the back
- the 4 corner-guns (name?)

Edzard
19-06-2009, 18:04
Looks awesome :) The Tomb Spider head is a great idea!

I think the 4 corner guns together are the "Flux Arc", so 1 would probably be a Gauss Flux arc gun?

Monsterzonk
19-06-2009, 18:08
Great work on those 'Crons, Dezmord! I usually don't like these guys, but you really bring them to life. Wait... :wtf: Ah, well, you know what I mean. The blue works really well on them, and I really like the OSL you've used on their eyes! The Monolith device also looks cool!

Keep it up!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Ganymene
19-06-2009, 21:58
The Monolith is progressing nicely.

Even with all the large flat surfaces, you have picked out enough detail to make the Monolith very interesting to look at. The runes and the device go a long way to making it look great.

Dezmord
21-06-2009, 19:41
It looks like I repeat myself all the time, but again I'd like to thank all of you for commenting! All those comments help me to keep up the work on this (and other) army (armies).

This is what I did today:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8554/wipmono7.jpg

That's the last WIP-shot of the mono. I painted the portal in the same colours as the orb and eyes and also finished two of the gauss flux arc guns (thanks for clearing that up, Edzard!). Other parts painted are the backsides of the four corner turrets (not visible in the pic).

The only parts left to do are the backside and the other two guns - I hope I'll be able to finish the mono tomorrow.

only joking...
21-06-2009, 20:41
Woah that portal is hypnotically brilliant!

Word Bearer
21-06-2009, 20:53
Dezmord, that Monolith is just beautiful, it looks just stunning painted in Silver and you've done a superb job on that Portal.
Not totally sold on the Device however, I think just painting the Crystal the same way you did the Portal would have looked amazing.

eltanko
21-06-2009, 20:59
*cant stop staring into portal, urge to kill rising RISING*

im not usually a huge fan of necrons, but these guys are so good!
that Monolith is the best i have seen!!!!
and just the overall blue colour scheme looks excellent.

ElTanko

Nocturn
21-06-2009, 21:23
now that was sure smeothing to paint.
the spirale is amazing, really well done dezmord, well done...

i miss the big crystal on the monolith, 'cause i think he can look really cool selfpainted with osl and in blue..woah would have been nice, but your tomb spider head(?) it looks more technological, it's also good :-)

Noc

bob_the_small
21-06-2009, 22:15
Great work as usual! That portal is brilliant!

Dezmord
21-06-2009, 23:39
Wow... I had hoped for some positive feedback, but I had never dreamed that you all would like the portal that much!

i miss the big crystal on the monolith, 'cause i think he can look really cool selfpainted with osl and in blue..woah would have been nice

I think just painting the Crystal the same way you did the Portal would have looked amazing.
I had thought about painting the crystal, but two things stopped me from doing it:

1.: I don't like the idea of a technologically advanced race using huge crystals for their weapons of mass destruction...
2.: The surface of the crystal has to big, flat sides for me to paint it like the portal or the orb.

your tomb spider head(?)
No, not a tomb spider head. The part that looks like the head is from the apocalypse vehicle upgrade sprue. I think it's a part for Tau vehicles.

Update: I've just finished the back of the mono and I'm currently working on the last two guns. Pics will follow around lunchtime.

Kriegfreak
22-06-2009, 11:44
The Monolith turned out really fantastic man.

spekkiebig
22-06-2009, 11:44
The monoliths is looking great, especialy the portal is realy nice.

bora
22-06-2009, 13:04
Dezmord, its great to see you took our advice for the portal. It turned out perfect. I can imagine how hard it was to paint it like that...

One thing though, the replacement for the crystal is kind of strange. I do not like it for some reason. Maybe it looks low tech with the claw thingies... I don't know.

Instead I suggest you try some kind of high energy ball and leave that other stuff away.
You know.. like a little sun, but in blue with swirling lightnings in it!

Souleater
22-06-2009, 13:29
I confess that when I looked at your first test model I wasn't at all keen on them.

However, unlike me, you then go onto demonstrate clear skill with a brush in the 'figures proper'.

I really like the work you've done on this army. I agree wholeheartedly that rusted and decrpit Necron dont' make a lot of sense.

The individual figures are nice enough but when you put them together as an army the effect is doubly impressive.

/bow

Elazar The Glorified
22-06-2009, 13:38
The monolith is looking awesome Dezmord. Love how you've painted the portal it looks great and really makes the machine look like it belongs in your army. Top stuff as ever :)

Dezmord
22-06-2009, 14:11
@bora: Your idea sounds nice, but the device is settled - at least for this mono. Who knows if there will be a second?

@Souleater: Good to hear that you like them! I have to admit that I also hate the first testwarriors that I painted and I'm pretty sure that they will be dumped when the rest is done...

I had promised pics of the finished mono for today. Here they are:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2609/mono1j.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2377/mono2q.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3295/mono3.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/96/mono4.jpg

You may notice that the sides of the mono don't have the bigger rods above the vents as the mono usually has - reason is, that I haven't ordered bigger plasticrods in blue, yet (and I'm not sure if I'm going to do that, as they are quite expensive).

Piaevo
22-06-2009, 14:21
This army paint job makes me want to paint and play necrons.
/hellatight

Dayspringer
22-06-2009, 14:44
Yes, that looks really good!

Ganymene
22-06-2009, 22:01
The monolith looks amazing! The portal looks very nice, I'm glad you decided to paint it.

I also never realized how much detail that model has on the sides and back. I like the runes running across all the large surfaces, they accent the long sleek lines of the structure perfectly.

For the rods on the sides, if you didn't want to buy and long ones, you could take two of the smaller ones and connect them in the center with a painted piece (maybe plasticard?). This would give it the appearance that the rods are larger, but cover up the gap in the center of them.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Maybe if you used pieces of a Destroyer spine, and connected the rods with that. It would also match the objects above the rear portal.

only joking...
22-06-2009, 22:21
every time I see this monolith I fall in love with it a little bit more!

bob_the_small
22-06-2009, 23:59
I love that monolith! What are you going to paint next? Thats the pity with the necron codex.. after a while.... you find that you run out of conversions and units to paint.. they are so limited!

Dezmord
23-06-2009, 00:04
For the rods on the sides, if you didn't want to buy and long ones, you could take two of the smaller ones and connect them in the center with a painted piece
The rods I have are large enough (I have to cut them into pieces to get rods in normal length for the weapons). The problem is, that they are not broad enogh - but maybe I couldput two rods next to each other?

What are you going to paint next?
I have to finish the destroyersquad (painted one more today - oe more to go) and the immortals (two painted - six to go) for the game on saturday.

Nocturn
23-06-2009, 00:26
I have to finish the destroyersquad (painted one more today - oe more to go) and the immortals (two painted - six to go) for the game on saturday.

seeing forward to this.
and yay, read your response on my post, k didn't know there was such a head, and yes,i thought the same. the surface is plain and undetailed, but i think it leaves options to paint it. funny, that you thought the "technichal improved-crystal weapon?" thing, too. kind of soul-linked we both haha :D

all in all faszinating necrons.
i like them such a lot for myself, and the new pics of the mono look very good from every side ;) well painted (and highlighted) runes, too.

Noc

Dezmord
23-06-2009, 10:13
As I've said in my earlier post, I painted destroyer number four yesterday. Here's the obligatory pic:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/102/destroyer4a.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7628/destroyer4b.jpg

spekkiebig
23-06-2009, 18:24
You may notice that the sides of the mono don't have the bigger rods above the vents as the mono usually has - reason is, that I haven't ordered bigger plasticrods in blue, yet (and I'm not sure if I'm going to do that, as they are quite expensive).

Maybe you could paint the green ones to match the portal?

bob_the_small
23-06-2009, 19:07
Yay! More of your lovely necrons!

Elazar The Glorified
23-06-2009, 19:17
Another awesome looking Destroyer. It does surprise me how much I like them with your colour scheme as I think they're rather odd looking models otherwise but the blue makes them very menacing :)

only joking...
23-06-2009, 21:48
Great work as usual.

Dezmord
23-06-2009, 23:20
@spekkiebig: Thanks, that could be worth a try.

@Elazar: When I built the first destroyer, I thought "Oh, it will be boring to get 5 of them done", but at the moment I have to say that they are my favourite necrons to build and paint! I'm currently working on the last one...

@only joking/bob_the_small: Thanks! Nice to see that you still like the models - I was afraid that my current painting speed may have a negative effect on the models, but it seems like that isn't true.

Anyway, here are the next models: some more immortals.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8472/extinctoren2.jpg

Putting the rods into their weapons is the most frustrating thing I have to do for this army...

So there are still 5 models left to paint 'til my game(s) on saturday: 1 destroyer and 4 immortals. Let's see if I can handle that...

eltanko
24-06-2009, 00:00
They are all round very solid, nice highlights and colours, very big fan of the blue, and like the blue below the eyes on the face, really good.

ElTanko

Nocturn
24-06-2009, 00:02
now these immortals have much character imo.
i think i have this feeling, because of the weak light source from their eyes.
i imagine it on the same moment as some underlined, grim looking eyes.

i like where you going, your speed painting isn't reducing your quality, that is very possitive :-)

*edit* lol, tanko and me do so often write approximately same comments, it's kinda funny..

Noc

Deus Ruinus
24-06-2009, 00:05
wow very nice paint job, likening the blue guass effects rather than the green. looking uber!

Ganymene
24-06-2009, 02:38
The rods I have are large enough (I have to cut them into pieces to get rods in normal length for the weapons). The problem is, that they are not broad enogh - but maybe I couldput two rods next to each other?

I think two rods next to each other would work well. If they fit, and span the entire distance, it will look just as nice as the rest of the rods. :)

Another sweet looking Destroyer, nice work!

I love those Immortals. Those and the Wraiths are my favorite Necron models, and your paint job really makes them look awesome.

Dezmord
24-06-2009, 11:45
Thanks again for all the positive feedback!

I love those Immortals. Those and the Wraiths are my favorite Necron models
When finished, I like them very much, too - but when I have to put the rods into their weapons, I just hate them :mad:

You may have guessed it: the last destroyer is done!

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8219/destroyer5a.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2923/destroyer5b.jpg

...and here's the obligatory groupshot of all my destroyers:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2129/gruppenfotodestroyer.jpg

schnatzke4
24-06-2009, 12:56
Oh hell.
These Necrons are just amazing!
I don't like the color sheme of the GW painted Necrons very much - so this is a new Necron standart which should be used by GW :D
I hope we'll see new minis soon.

P.S. Echt geile Arbeit - weiter so =)

And a question: How can you draw such straight lines to highlight them?
If I highlight edges, it looks unclean. -.-

Dezmord
24-06-2009, 13:17
And a question: How can you draw such straight lines to highlight them?
I try not to drink too much coffee before painting them ;)
I usually steady my painting hand by resting my lower arm against the table edge.

Nocturn
24-06-2009, 14:05
the shot of the whole squad looks amazing :-)
you, sir, really pimped the "rusty necrons" up ;)

Noc

Emilio101
24-06-2009, 14:12
Wow Dezmord. I've never been a huge fan of necrons but these are beautiful. Using blue instead of the standard green is a simple thing that makes a huge difference!

nik
24-06-2009, 15:46
I agree with Emilio101. The new color scheme brings new life to the necrons. They look great.

are you planning on doing a monilith?

Nocturn
24-06-2009, 15:53
I agree with Emilio101. The new color scheme brings new life to the necrons. They look great.

are you planning on doing a monilith?

...why do people never look at pages before...?
he already did.
go watching.
be astonished.

;)

nik
24-06-2009, 17:49
...why do people never look at pages before...?
he already did.
go watching.
be astonished.
;)

Must have missed it. Thanks for the heads up. Although i was expecting i giant blue crystal.

only joking...
24-06-2009, 17:59
The blue highlight under the eyes of the immortals is stunning. Really beautiful work.

Ganymene
26-06-2009, 03:40
The Destroyers look great as a unit!

So what do you have left, just a few Immortals?

Looking forward to seeing the whole army together!

Dezmord
27-06-2009, 13:19
Just a quick written update:

It's done! My first game with the necrons will be in about 1-2 hours and just in this moment, I've finished the last 4 immortals for my 1750 points list.

Expect pics of the immortals and the game later!

Flying Toaster
27-06-2009, 15:52
Hi there, just to say that your army is brilliantly painted! A very original colour scheme!

I was also working on some test rules for the Necrons and was wondering what you thought of them and if you wanted to give them a go?

Dezmord
28-06-2009, 13:14
@Flying Toaster: Thanks for your feedback. Judging by the look of your list, I'd say that there are some good and some not so good points: I like your differnet kinds of lords, but something I dislike would be the two wounds on the destroyers, as I think that they are already a good unit.

Back to topic:

As I had said in my written update, the immortals are finished. Here's the groupshot of all eight.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2586/gruppenfotoextinctoren.jpg

Yetserday was the meeting of our games-club, and I managed not only one, but two games! I took the following armyshot prior to the first game.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4120/gruppenfotoarmee4.jpg

The CSM player I had scheduled a game againts had no time unfortunately, so I had to look for another opponent. I ended up against a Black Templar player with the following list (as far as I remember it):

- Grandmaster, Plasmapistol, Lightning Claw, Iron Halo, Artificer Armor
- Champion of the Emperor
- Chaplain, Lightning Claw, Artificer Armor
- 5 Stormterminators (3 with Claws)
- 15 Black Templars, including 1 Powerfist and 4 Neophytes
- 15 Black Templars, including 1 Powerfist and 4 Neophytes
- LR Crusader
- LR Crusader

My firts thought was "Great, this is the complete antithesis of my army" - two vehicles I could barely scratch with my guns and the hardest SM CC force possible with three toooled up CC-characters...
Anyway, I was up to the challenge.

We rolled five objectices and a spearhead deployment with me going first.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2624/einsatz1.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4219/einsatz2.jpg

Dezmord
28-06-2009, 13:25
My shooting agaisnt two LR was pretty poor and I only managed to immobilise one, while poor driving of the second brought him into a place where I could hinder its embarked squad to climb out and assault me in the same turn.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3605/einsatz3.jpg

The shots of my monos energy-matrix certainly helped thinig out his squads. It was also a turning point, when my tombspider managed to charge one, while the destroyerlord charged the second LR - and destroyed both LR!

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5672/einsatz4.jpg

Revenge was fast, when the now diesembarked squad killed the immortals, the emperors champion, who was with them 'til now, finished off the scarabs and the formerly attached grandmaster destroyed my TS. Shooting saw one of his termis dead, which allowed his surviving ones to get additional movement towards my destroyers (WTF???).

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4527/einsatz5.jpg

I won the game by teleporting my lord with a squad of warriors into my enemies deployment zone and thus securing two objectives!
As I had strongly disliked what his characters had done to my poor army, I used the destroyerlord to hunt the Chaplain and the Grandmaster down, in which he succeded greatly!

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3305/einsatz6.jpg

only joking...
28-06-2009, 18:48
Always nice to see cron's take out the black templars... just like the artwork predicted ;)

bob_the_small
28-06-2009, 19:08
Nice looking army! Looks like a good game

only joking...
28-06-2009, 23:09
Damn I want to play 40k right now!

Ganymene
29-06-2009, 10:49
Wow, the army looks fantastic on the table together!

Glad to see the Necrons pull out the win. That looked like a tough list for them to handle, but it seemed to work out in your favor.

folnjir
29-06-2009, 14:14
Great work. nice to see someone doing something a bit different with Necrons.

Dezmord
30-06-2009, 23:25
Thanks for all the kind words!

Not much work was done since last weekend, but since Ganymene had asked in an earlier post, what's left to do, I thought I'll give a quick rundown of how the army will evolve:

I currently own all the models needed to reach 2k points, which is one additional tombspider, which I'm currrently converting a bit, a scarab swarm to accompany her and a third warriorsquad of 11 models. As the army is named the "Harbingers of the Storm", I think it's appropriate to include the apocalypse formation of the same name, which means that I'm going to search for 6 additional wraiths on e-bay.

Other than that, I'll be waiting for a new codex with reasons to expand the army - I like the army as it is at the moment, but some more cool model would be nice.
Have no fear, I won't stop painting when the necrons are finished - I'm currently pondering on some interesting conversions for my Thousand Sons, so I think about reactivating that plog.

Dezmord
03-07-2009, 10:08
There was next to no time for 40k this week, but I managed at least a little work on my second tombspider. The model itself is quite static and doesn't look very menacing, so I decided to give it another pose by adding some scrabs, repostioning the whole model and cutting/bending it's legs, arms and head. Here's the result:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1335/wipts2.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8131/wipts1.jpg

warflag
03-07-2009, 10:43
Quite good, the pose I mean. It´s a shame the models are so static. I remember some artwork from the codex, next to the spiders entry I think, which looked so menacing and had that special living metal being feel. And then you see the model and think wtf?

SO a couple more wraiths and then hope for new stuff with the next codex?

A pity, I hoped this log would go on longer...

However, paint that spider, I´m sure it will look great!

Cheers
Bart

Dezmord
03-07-2009, 11:10
SO a couple more wraiths and then hope for new stuff with the next codex?
Unfortunately, yes. I have painted everything from the codex, apart from three units. But as I understand the rumours, a new codex isn't that far away. Until then, I'm planning to finish some orks and reactivating my CSM log.

A pity, I hoped this log would go on longer...
It will only be a stasis :chrome:

Ganymene
03-07-2009, 11:32
That is a very dynamic Tomb Spyder Dezmord, it looks awesome!

It takes a lot of patience to convert a large metal model like that, but I think the end result is excellent. I also think the Scarabs on the base add a lot to the overall look of the model.

I look forward to seeing it painted. :)

warflag
03-07-2009, 13:00
Well then, your CSM very pretty damn good as well. And the bad moons also!
See you there.

Cheers
Bart

Proiteus
04-07-2009, 23:22
how did you create the power matrix weapon? cause as you know I making a Mechanicus army and i've got a monolith conversion that needs a main weapon and that might do the job? is ifs okay with you?

bob_the_small
05-07-2009, 00:20
Nice conversion, it looks quite menacing and evil now.

Dezmord
05-07-2009, 01:23
Thanks for the feedback on the spider. Seems like it's the way to go.

@Proiteus: If it fits for you, copy it! Good to see that my log is good for inspirations :)

Parts used:

- wooden ball
- plastic card
- tau sensor array from the apocalypse upgrade sprue (the one with the command upgrades for all races)
- space marine sensor array from the same sprue
- spine of a necron destructor
- 3 spikes from dark eldar jetbikes

This post shows the first step of the creation of the power matrix: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3674088&postcount=125

I hope this was of help for you!

Dezmord
02-08-2009, 17:53
It's been some time, since I last updated this log, but the 2k are not finished and until then, the log won't go into stasis.

Here's my second, finished tombspider:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3595/gruftspinne2a.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9717/gruftspinne2b.jpg

Note that it's not varnished yet. Our actual temperature and humidity here doesn't work well with GW's purity seal.

thoughtfoxx
02-08-2009, 19:40
@ Dezmord. I'm sorry I only noticed this blog once it had gotten so far down the track! Your painting is excellent and your change from the traditional is inspired. The Necrons really do look like they are harbingers of ice and lightning. Respect for the quality of the painting! I am more of a conversions guy and I only tend to paint my models because all the guys at my games club complain if I dont! I'd love to be able to paint like you do. I gave my Necrons an old tarnished feel - and no tarnish doesnt mean they are rusting [I have an army profile report in one of my blogs that explains that position.]

I very much like the 'Tomb Spyder Rampant' pose above as well!

Just another thing I couldnt help noticing whilst I read the entire blog. I was saddened to see the amount of hate that necrons recieved in this thread, but kudos to you despite people despising the race they still appreciate what you did with it, as do I.

You've made necrons look good, so well done. Really like this army. :)

Great work on those 'Crons, Dezmord! I usually don't like these guys, but you really bring them to life.

im not usually a huge fan of necrons, but these guys are so good!
that Monolith is the best i have seen!!!!
ElTanko

Wow Dezmord. I've never been a huge fan of necrons but these are beautiful. Using blue instead of the standard green is a simple thing that makes a huge difference!

I love that monolith! What are you going to paint next? Thats the pity with the necron codex.. after a while.... you find that you run out of conversions and units to paint.. they are so limited!

These comments are unfortunate. As almost an exclusivly necron player myself I have to ask why you dont 'click on necron threads too often?' I'm not asking you specifically but the whole 'necrons are boring and limited', or the 'I just hate necrons' crowd. Are they really that limited or just that much of a waste of time?

I can understand people not relating to the fluff but the models are generally very good and there are just a wealth of conversion opportunities out there. All it takes is a little imagination as shown by Dezmord here.

I'd appreciate your comments on my necrons and my upside down monolith in particular. [the links are in my sig]

bob_the_small
02-08-2009, 22:27
Im loving the eyes on that spider!

only joking...
02-08-2009, 23:02
Yeah amazing work Dezmord...

eltanko
02-08-2009, 23:51
The eyes really do stand out, very nice.

ElTanko

Dezmord
03-08-2009, 15:42
As almost an exclusivly necron player myself I have to ask why you dont 'click on necron threads too often?' I'm not asking you specifically but the whole 'necrons are boring and limited', or the 'I just hate necrons' crowd. Are they really that limited or just that much of a waste of time?

I think the main problem with necrons is, that you need to be a bit more imaginative when you try to convert/paint them. I own several other armies and, for example, with CSM, converting can be as easy or as complex as you like. For simple conversions you can mix and match the different sprues of CSM, some demon parts and SM. For a more complex conversion, you can start building stuff on your own with GS or plasticcard.
What I try to say is, that everyone can start small conversions with GW's core armies, while converting stuff like Necrons or Tau is way more difficult and seldomly done, which makes the armies look more uniform and somehow "bland".

thoughtfoxx
03-08-2009, 16:11
I think you are correct. Personally I find the very lack of options inspiring anything you try will be typically non standard. Take the aforementioned CSM 'conversions'. You have so many options and combos available to you as standard that I dont rate these as conversions per say, merely mixing and matching std parts. You need to do something unique [and usually scratchbuilt] to qualify as a true conversion, much like what you did with your mono weapon. That was a totally different take on non standard parts giving a truly unique interpretation of a model that fits with your army aesthetic.

Ganymene
05-08-2009, 11:32
The Tomb Spyder looks awesome!

I think the his eyes are the best you have done so far. With the pose, the bare metallic underside, and the glowing eyes, he looks truly fearsome. Great work!

Romanus
05-08-2009, 12:07
The tomb spider look really good mate, and as others have said the eyes are great. Also just had a look through the whole log and there is some absolutely brillant stuff in here. Love the look of the monolith, and especially the painted portal (when I read that you where thinking of leaving it green, I just yelled in my head NO, it has to be blue, and glad you did go with it). Really like the details on the lords as well. Overall a really nice looking army.

Cheers,
Rom

Dezmord
07-09-2009, 18:08
You may have already read it in my other logs. the decision is set: I'm going to finish the last 200 points to get this army done!

I've played several games with the necrons in the last weeks and noticed some points:

1. the army is way harder to play than my other armies - makes them more challenging :D
2. warriors don't work as good as I supposed they could...
3. fast armies not only outrun me, but they find ways to let my wraith, scarabs and the destructrlord strand in the open
4. my army has serious problems with medium tanks and transports (AV 12-13), especially chimeras, falcons, hammerheads and serpents - they are fast enough to avoid close combat with wraith and destructorlord and their armor is to high for my shooting to stop them

Conclusion: To reach 2000 points, I always wanted to include a third squad of warriors - the new idea is, to only use two squads and get three heavy destroyers instead of the third warriorsquad. I'm currently working the first model.

Nocturn
07-09-2009, 18:24
Hey Dezmord,

yes, that sounds better.
I for myself think, that warriors should always go to the front, because even if you miss your we will be back roll, you can teleport them through a monolith and they only have 24 inch range.
The destroyers make much more damage than the warrior squads.

Noc

Dezmord
07-09-2009, 19:04
I for myself think, that warriors should always go to the front, because even if you miss your we will be back roll, you can teleport them through a monolith and they only have 24 inch range.
Doesn't work for me. If the warriors are at the front, they get assaulted and caught in sweeping advance - no wbb...

My current tactic depends on a strong center, holding a position and strong, fast unit on the flanks who are supposed to attack the enemies flanks. This works against non-mech armies. At the moment usually two transports storm my center and kill my warriors - so no chance to hold an objective. I'm usually able to stop a transport or two each turn, but that means sacrificing all my anti-infantry-weapons for taking chances for glancing hits on vehicles...

Back to painting/modelling:

The first HD is prepared to be painted.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3403/wipheavydestroyer.jpg

Nocturn
07-09-2009, 19:10
Doesn't work for me. If the warriors are at the front, they get assaulted and caught in sweeping advance - no wbb...

I only get it half, sorry for that :-)
if they get assaulted, you can use your necronlords regenerator or, as said, the monolith next turn to bring them back or out of combat.
Aren't the warriors able to shoot after they got through the mono? sorry, no exact rules here.
hm, what about a unit of flayed ones? to hold a stong center and be able to prevent your warriors from cc?

A heavy destroyer is always a good choice :-)

Dezmord
07-09-2009, 19:18
if they get assaulted, you can use your necronlords regenerator or, as said, the monolith next turn to bring them back or out of combat.
Aren't the warriors able to shoot after they got through the mono? sorry, no exact rules here.
I don't want to go too uch into tactis - that's what the tactics forum is there for, but: You're right: If the warriors are in CC, they can be teleported out of it in the movement phase of my turn, but the following thing usually happens: an assault unit attacks warriors and kills about four models (wbb happens in my turn). Warriors have to take a morale-check on 6 - they usually run - sweeping advance kicks in (Yeah, that means Ini 2 + W6...), resulting in a dead unit (wbb doesn't work against sweeping advance). At the beginning of my turn, there are no dead models from the unit for wbb and no unit to teleport out of CC...

Nocturn
07-09-2009, 20:26
aah thank you dezmord :-)
yes you are right, but thank, now I got it.
Why haven't you said earlier that you mean the morale test ;)
yes, that's bad...but like said a cc-unit in front of the warriors, but I leave this tactics now :-)

I want to see that heavy destroyer painted! :-)
Do you have any intentions to convert one of them?

Noc

Solun Decius
07-09-2009, 23:00
Oh, wow! I seem to have missed this one pretty much from start to finish!
So I ran through the whole thing now and must agree with most posters here that it's a very cool feel on a Necron army. The blue tint on the steel along with the blue weapons gives a very cool uniform style.
I think you really nailed the scheme when you were painting a whole unit of warriors along with the destroyerlord. Until then the edge highlights seemed a bit too wide and maybe too contrasty or something. Then you did the tutorial, almost speedpainting the bunch and they just looked perfect. Funny how these things sometimes look the best when you do it fast and don't think too much about it.
From then on it's been brilliant. The monolith is great and the white masks on the destroyers and the immortals really make them stick out without killing your blue style or making them too busy.

I also think it's good idea to focus on these until they're "finished" and then go on to each project in a "least work to finish" order ;)
As fun as it is to have multiple projects, sometimes one has to focus on finishing something to get a sort of peace of mind.

Ganymene
08-09-2009, 22:20
More Necrons, nice!

I've never actually seen a Heavy Destroyer up close. They look nice, there seems to be a lot of detail on the model. Looking forward to seeing him painted.

I saw the message in your other log. What do you have planned besides the Heavy Destroyers?

Dezmord
08-09-2009, 22:52
Well, it's only 200 points that I need to get done, so I think it will be just a squad of three heavy destroyers. I'd also like to get some more wraiths to be able to use the apo datasheet "harbinger of the storm".

Elazar The Glorified
08-09-2009, 22:56
I'd never realised they were metal gun arms, are they as awkwardly weighted as I'd imagine them to be?

Dezmord
08-09-2009, 23:00
Oh yes, they are! It means, that I have to glue the HD's on their flying stands, because they won't hold on them properly without glueing - which means that the whole model will in danger of breaking off the stand... As with all metal-plastic-hybrid-models, it was a pain to glue it together - size and weight of the gun made it even more difficult than other hybrid-models I have built (like Thousand Sons, for example)

Dezmord
10-09-2009, 19:10
Here he is: the first finished heavy destroyer

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8636/heavydestroyer1b.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2733/heavydestroyer1a.jpg

After everything was apinted and varnished, I realised that the rods didn't really fit into the appropriate place - I had to bend the gun to make them fit, without splitting up the paint :mad: Lesson learned: I'll make the spaces bigger on the next two HD's.

Solun Decius
11-09-2009, 01:13
Looks good! I really like the mask and the Icon on his chest. Maybe the blue edge highlights are laid on a bit thick on the gun. That's always been your highlight style though, so maybe there's just a little too many edges highlighted on the gun or something.
Anyway ... what does that leave? 2 more Heavy Destroyers and your done?

I also write "apinted" every other time ;)

Dezmord
11-09-2009, 09:40
Maybe the blue edge highlights are laid on a bit thick on the gun. That's always been your highlight style though, so maybe there's just a little too many edges highlighted on the gun or something.
You're right, the highlights on the blue are always broader than the silver ones. I tried it out once to make them finer, but I didin't like the model afterwards. Fine highlights work on the silver or on my chaos-models, but with my necrons, the somewhat broader highlights on the blue help me break up the monotonous silver.

Anyway ... what does that leave? 2 more Heavy Destroyers and your done?
I think so. The models are ordered and should be delivered on monday/tuesday. In the meantime I'm painting a chaos-sorcerer for a freinds birthday.

eltanko
12-09-2009, 00:25
The destroyer looks great, lovely highlights, nice blue tinge to the silver parts aswell, and very nicely lit up face!

ElTanko

Ganymene
13-09-2009, 06:58
The Heavy Sestroyer looks very nice. The glowing eyes get better and better with each model!

Knowing that the entire weapon arm is metal makes it seem really imbalanced on the stand. Have you considered putting some sort of weight on the back end to balance it out (maybe inside the bodies of the next two models)? That may prevent it from tipping over and breaking the stand.

EDIT: I just noticed, how did this log end up in General?

Dezmord
13-09-2009, 10:18
Have you considered putting some sort of weight on the back end to balance it out (maybe inside the bodies of the next two models)?
That idea didn't occur to me. Thanks! I'll try it out on the next two.

EDIT: I just noticed, how did this log end up in General?
I have no idea. If a mod reads this, please move the log into the 40k xenos forum.Thanks!

Don't get confused: the next model I'll paint isn't for the necrons, although they are my number one priority. a freind of mines has his birthday and he plays a CSM army. He usually uses a winged sorcerer of slaanesh. Unfortunately can't afford the time to paint his army (only one squad is finished) - so 've bought a sorcerer and I'm going to paint it up in his army colours as a small present for him.

spekkiebig
15-09-2009, 12:08
Nice to see you painting some more Necrons Dezmord. I was wondering if you solved the problems you were having with the rods on the side of the Monolith?

Dezmord
15-09-2009, 22:26
I was wondering if you solved the problems you were having with the rods on the side of the Monolith?
No, I haven't really given much thought to it recently - I think I'll end up buying the expensive blue rod in a fitting size.

Back to the destroyers:

The last two HD's arrived today and the first one was built this evening. I tried to give him a differnet position from the first one.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2853/wipheavydestroyer2a.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4361/wipheavydestroyer2b.jpg

Dezmord
16-09-2009, 23:10
I've started painting the second one and built the third and last HD:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2323/wipheavydestroyer3.jpg

Solun Decius
17-09-2009, 01:01
OK, cool! This should be done in no time ;)

Dezmord
02-10-2009, 11:34
This should be done in no time
I thought so, too. Unfortunately I had an eye-infection, that lasted for several days, so I had to stop right in the middle of painting the second HD.

Well, the infection is nearly completely cured and I finished the HD yesterday.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2870/heavydestroyer2.jpg

One more to go...

The_Dark_Raven
02-10-2009, 22:45
Looking good Dez, i love the blue and silver contrast, really makes the masters of metal pop. Can't wait to see more and i hope the eye-infection doesn't bother you anymore!

Solun Decius
02-10-2009, 22:45
Eye infection? ¡Dude!
Good thing you're rid of that.

The Heavy destroyer looks great. It's like there's more confidence in the paint job than the first one, even though it's the same. Maybe the highlights are a bit more selective rather than exactly the same strength on every edge.

Either way, good stuff and I can't wait to see the last one and that mandatory finished army shot!

Dezmord
02-10-2009, 23:41
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, the eye-infection is nearly gone, but I still have a strong desire to rubb my left eye (it feels like as if there is dirt inside...). if the doc is right, everything should be fine 'til sunday.

The Heavy destroyer looks great. It's like there's more confidence in the paint job than the first one, even though it's the same. Maybe the highlights are a bit more selective rather than exactly the same strength on every edge.
It could be because I painted some parts with one eye closed (involuntarily) :p

Solun Decius
03-10-2009, 00:47
Maybe the highlights are a bit more selective rather than exactly the same strength on every edge.
Just to be totally clear, I think this is a good thing, that is, I think this may be making the model more natural and a bit sharper.

Hope that stuff'll be out of your eye soon for good!

Dezmord
03-10-2009, 09:57
Just to be totally clear, I think this is a good thing, that is, I think this may be making the model more natural and a bit sharper.
I understood it! I just wanted to joke around ;)

BTW, the I've already started the third one...

Ganymene
05-10-2009, 09:59
An eye infection, that is one way to slow down your incredible painting speed. :p Glad to hear that it has cleared up.

The second Destroyer looks great! Once you finish the last one, do you have any more to add, or are you going to work on something else?

Dezmord
08-10-2009, 15:23
Glad to hear that it has cleared up.
Thank you!

An eye infection, that is one way to slow down your incredible painting speed.
It still slows me down a bit :( Though the infection is cured, my eyes tire faster at the moment (doc says it may take it's time) and as my main painting time is in the evening, I'm still not as fast with painting as I used to be...

Anyhow, the last HD is done!

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5760/heavydestroyer3.jpg

...and here's the groupshot of all HD's:

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6957/gruppenfotoschweredestr.jpg

The army consists of 1999 points and is completely painted. I'm planning on some games at the end of october where I'll hopefully be able to take a nice armyshot.

schnatzke4
08-10-2009, 20:55
Hey,
a friend just started a Necron army and he wants to know how you created this wonderful color sheme.
Also he wants to know where you ordered the blue stangen in den waffen :D
(wegen bestellen, er wohnt in deutschland)
-Cheers!

BTW: 5*

Dezmord
08-10-2009, 22:17
a friend just started a Necron army and he wants to know how you created this wonderful color sheme.
Tell him to look on page 4 of this thread - there's a step-by-step guide.

Also he wants to know where you ordered the blue stangen in den waffen
(wegen bestellen, er wohnt in deutschland)
No problem, here is the information about the blue rods:

Hersteller: Krick Modellbau
Bezeichnung: FARB-3H Neon Rundstab blau (8 Stk.)
Durchmesser: 2,4 mm
Bestell.-Nr.: 190252

They can only be ordered via a store that has a contract with krick modellbau (they have a list on their homepage).

schnatzke4
09-10-2009, 09:54
Thank you very much ;)
Now he's happy :D
-Cheers

The_Dark_Raven
10-10-2009, 03:59
HD's are looking great especially when they all come together like that.

Really nice work, can't wait to see the completed force all in one shot.

Solun Decius
10-10-2009, 12:49
Really nice work, can't wait to see the completed force all in one shot.
Yeah! Where dat army shot at?

Congrats on finishing this project! Which one will get full focus next?

Dayspringer
10-10-2009, 15:29
Nice work, looking forward to a full army shot!

Dezmord
11-10-2009, 18:57
Congrats on finishing this project! Which one will get full focus next?
I haven't decided yet. There are several things I want to finish: Three grots for my stompa are not done yet and I have a Lord of Change that is halfway painted. When these models are done, I'll make a decision :)

Ganymene
12-10-2009, 09:06
The Heavy Destroyers look awesome!

Glad to hear that the army is all finished. I am looking forward to that army shot.

... I have a Lord of Change that is halfway painted...

Nice!

thoughtfoxx
12-10-2009, 10:20
Your models are looking better and better! I really like the shoulder pad trim and the free hand glyphs. They really give a solid themed look to the army.... and on that score I really need to add my voice to the rest and say

Show us the army pic!

Dezmord
01-11-2009, 01:18
When I had finished the last HD, I promised you a group-shot of the whole army. Well, here it is:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/894/armee2.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3281/armee3.jpg

The army consists of:

The Harbinger (Necronlord): Veil, Orb
Lord Vash (Necronlord): Destroyerbody, Phaseshifter, Warscythe

8 Immortals

11 Warriors
11 Warriors

8 Scarabswarms
5 Destroyers
3 Wraiths

2 Tomb Spiders (+ 2 Scarabswarms)
3 Heavy Destroyers
1 Monolith

Points total: 1999

My goal to paint a 2k Necron-Army is reached. Prior to the group-shot, they fought a Tau army today and managed to completely annihilate them - which is a nice final for the Necrons, as they will enter their stasis-tomb now (at least on the painting side).
The project is complete now and it will be ressurected when the new codex is on the horizon.

Thank you all for stopping by and commenting! Painting is much more fun when you get feedback from a broad community!

Slaaaaaanesh
01-11-2009, 17:32
Nice Necrons, the silver and blue work well together.