PDA

View Full Version : Elysians and the New Guard Codex

NovaScotius
28-04-2009, 23:34
Hello,

I've been wanting to start a Guard Army for a long time now, but have never really been a fan of any of the GW models for them. Just had a look on Forgeworld, and I really like the look of these Elysian chaps, they seem really dynamic looking, and appear to be every kind of awesome.

Now, I know that the new Guard codex has caused a lot of changes in the organisation of people's armies.

I was wondering if Elysians are able to be effectively fielded under the new Guard rules, or whether the shift in balance between infantry and tanks has made the model line fairly redundant?

One of my main concerns is that the Elysian Sergeants have Las guns instead of the pistol/CCW combo.

Does anyone else use the Elysian model line with the new Codex?

Thanks

boogle
29-04-2009, 00:05
There are 2 things you can do:

1) play counts-as on the stuff that doesn't quite fit (such as Lasguns)
2) wait until FW do their IA update for the Elysians and Kreig as well as IA1

Maine
29-04-2009, 00:14
Yes, you can, with some considerations:

1. Most of your army won't be deep striking unless in a Valk that deep strikes
2. Sergeants are automatically vets, and so can take power weapons, plasma and bolt pistols, etc
3. If you build your army as Veterans, you can give the whole squad (including sgt) shotguns.
4. Your Valkyries will be in squadrons if you have more than 3 (you can fit up to 9)
5. Sentinels cant be transported in Valkyries or deep strike.

All in all, the new codex does allow you to play one of the Elysian styles, but it won't give you a perfect reproduction, if that is what you are after.

Explodingboy
29-04-2009, 01:41
Take Valkyries and vet squads.

Then take Captain Al-rayhem, for any plain infantry platoons as Outflanking is about as close as you'll get to deep striking.

boogle
29-04-2009, 02:11
What may also help you a lot to play Elysians properly is the release of Planetstrike, where, as the attacker, your whole army can deepstrike

Inquisitor Engel
29-04-2009, 02:14
Make lots and lots and lots of money.

Formerly Wu
29-04-2009, 05:25
Rumor mill has it that an upcoming IA book will focus on Elysians vs. Orks. You may want to wait until then to see what kind of variant army list FW puts out that jives with the new codex.

Marshal2Crusaders
29-04-2009, 06:05
You mean in two years?

TheOneWithNoName
29-04-2009, 06:14
You don't own an Elysian army so you can easily adept them to the new codex. You don't have to play them with mass Valks and the such.

Sir_Turalyon
29-04-2009, 09:29
Elysians could be played as eighter as drop troopers (plenty of valkyries with small platoon or special weapon veterans in them) or any guard army (they had already dropped and are fighting their way out after mission / holding objective).

As for laspisol issue, get straped pistols if you want all weapons modelled. There is plenty of marine players out there with sprues full of pistol holsters, I doubt most of them uses them for marines. I know I don't.

Bunnahabhain
29-04-2009, 11:07
I'm expecting a PDF update from FW for their army lists in the IA book. They have been very good at doing so quickly ( ie within a month) of the release of the new Codex that makes them semi-obsolete.

For the Guard, expect revisied points cost, a way to cover the doctrines, and something done about the bits made obolete by 5th ed.

Forlorn
29-04-2009, 16:23
I've been wanting to start a Guard Army for a long time now, but have never really been a fan of any of the GW models for them. Just had a look on Forgeworld, and I really like the look of these Elysian chaps, they seem really dynamic looking, and appear to be every kind of awesome.

PM Sent. :D