PDA

View Full Version : Empire on Warhammer Fantasy

Orwin
29-04-2009, 01:35
I'm new to fantasy and wonder if a big discrepancy on 40K also happens here: the Space Marines should be the rarest, most elite force around but are the most common sight on the tables. Their numbers also don't represent their combat efficiency, even because in 5th you can field more marines with the same points, which, fluffwise, should be the strong opposite.

Now, concerning the Empire, which seems to be GW's jewel on Fantasy: the number of miniatures you can field nowadays is in accordance to what the fluff dictates about it? Would it be fluff-right to see more Empire armies around than everything else, considering the Empire's length and population, or there should be more common armies, like orks or skaven?

Death Disco
29-04-2009, 01:54
Basic Empire troops are actually pretty bad-one on one they'll lose to most things save Goblins, Skeletons, etc. The Empire is the biggest nation of the Old World-they outnumber all the Elf nations (combined, probably), the Western human nations, the Dwarves and probably the Lizardmen. The "horde" lists-Skaven, Greenskins, Beastmen-in turn outnumber them. Seeing Empire armies all over the plus is not what I'd call unfluffy-they are plenty numerous and placed so that they have contact with most other races.

Emeraldw
29-04-2009, 02:03
Unlike in 40k I see a rather large variety of fantasy armies around. Though in my local gaming group we have a lot of Elves.

Sir Charles
29-04-2009, 02:25
I terms of armies the Empire doesn't seem to benefit from the same favoritism that some time seems to be directed at SM, in terms of the amount of background attention they receive....

Charistoph
29-04-2009, 06:16
Empire doesn't receive the same favoritism because they are closer to being IG, than SM, and we all know why IG is so popular...

There really is not SM equivalent in Fantasy. There are some that get close, but are limited in one form or another. SM are just so good at everything (and there is a bit of cool factor involved), that it's easy to get attracted to them as an army. Lizardmen have the toughness and strength, but largely are incredibly slow. Bretonnians have speed and skill, but largely don't have the strength and toughness to match.

So we can see why such a comparison just doesn't work between SM and Fantasy.

Johnnyfrej
29-04-2009, 06:21
Don't cross the streams.

isidril93
29-04-2009, 06:26
they were meant to be 40k chaos warriors

sirbone
29-04-2009, 07:26
Don't cross the streams.

Great film.

Condottiere
29-04-2009, 08:02
Empire is IG, there are no super warriors that are the equivalent of SM, except Chaos Knights.

yabbadabba
29-04-2009, 08:09
Don't cross the streams.

QFT.

You are confusing the reality of marketing with the fantasy of the game. Orcs and Empire hahve had more focus than any other army in WFB over the years, with chaos following a very close third. What determines the most popular armies these days is effectiveness vs cost for tournaments.

My advice - pick an army that you want to paint and play with, then learn to be good with it.

Keller
29-04-2009, 16:56
Empire doesn't receive the same favoritism because they are closer to being IG, than SM, and we all know why IG is so popular... I don't know why IG is popular, or even that is is...

When I dabbled in 40k years back, I chose IG because I had little interest in any other army. I like playing humans. I went with all infantry, since thats what I like. I was told I'd have liked Tau's playstyle, but their fluff and models were not appealing to me at all.

My 40k interest didn't last long anyway...

Charistoph
29-04-2009, 20:38
I don't know why IG is popular, or even that is is...

When I dabbled in 40k years back, I chose IG because I had little interest in any other army. I like playing humans. I went with all infantry, since thats what I like. I was told I'd have liked Tau's playstyle, but their fluff and models were not appealing to me at all.

My 40k interest didn't last long anyway...

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm marker in my statement.

It may get popular once their book it's the floor, they do get some incredible toys to play with, and I play Tau!

O&G'sRule
29-04-2009, 23:21
I'm new to fantasy and wonder if a big discrepancy on 40K also happens here: the Space Marines should be the rarest, most elite force around but are the most common sight on the tables. Their numbers also don't represent their combat efficiency, even because in 5th you can field more marines with the same points, which, fluffwise, should be the strong opposite.

Now, concerning the Empire, which seems to be GW's jewel on Fantasy: the number of miniatures you can field nowadays is in accordance to what the fluff dictates about it? Would it be fluff-right to see more Empire armies around than everything else, considering the Empire's length and population, or there should be more common armies, like orks or skaven?

Fluff wise Orcs and goblins, chaos or skaven should probably be the most common (though as most would be attacking the empire I guess the empire would be quite common), but generally its whats newest. Wood elf and bretonian armies should be very rare. Theres no massive discrepancy is sales of armies in fantasy like in 40k, where I think its around 80% of all gw's sales are SM's though

W0lf
29-04-2009, 23:31
There is no Space marines of the fantasy world. Empire as stated are more IG.

The closest thing to Marines would be warriors of chaos. I think they *just* about outsell other fantasy armies but not noticably.

Oh and for the record Space marines make up 33% of all GW sales which is HUGE.

ICLRK625
30-04-2009, 03:30
There is no Space marines of the fantasy world. Empire as stated are more IG.

The closest thing to Marines would be warriors of chaos. I think they *just* about outsell other fantasy armies but not noticably.

Oh and for the record Space marines make up 33% of all GW sales which is HUGE.

With the amount of kids that play 40k at all of the GW stores around me, I'm shocked it's not higher then that. Seriously, I went into a store once to buy something, and of the 5 or so games going on, 75% of the models were Space Marines.