PDA

View Full Version : Which Race Needs Updates?

Imperius
29-04-2009, 02:38
Ok, so wondering what you guys think.
My list from 1-3 would be
Dark Eldar
Chaos Daemons
Tyranids

What do you guys think, and no matter what DARK ELDAR IS YOUR FIRST CHOICE.

tuebor
29-04-2009, 02:41
Dark Eldar
Necrons
???

Several races/factions would be up after those two, but those are the two that I think need updating most desperately.

MDMK
29-04-2009, 02:41
Dark Eldar.
Demonhunters.
Chaos.

LordofWar1986
29-04-2009, 02:42
Well I think it should be the following:
1.Space Marines
2.Space Marines
3.Space Marines

jk :p

Actually I feel it is
1. Necrons
2. Inquisition Forces (which could all be thrown into one codex)
3. Tyranids
4. THEN Dark Eldar (just for kicks :) )

Drogmir
29-04-2009, 03:28
Now that IG are done DE need it bad.

They're so out of whack it's not even funny

Inquisition also needs some serious future implications

Necrons would eventually be nice to have. But at well off IMO

Tyranids are also relatively well off IMO

BLARGAG!!!
29-04-2009, 03:31
=][= Armies
DE (this and the =][= armies could possibly switch order)
IDK after this, but I don't think that Necrons or Nids need a boost. I think that they are finr the way they are.

Razarael
29-04-2009, 03:34
Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Tyranids (or the Inquisition). And any other race that hasn't gotten an update in a long while.

@OP, why do you think Chaos Daemons need an update?

Imperius
29-04-2009, 03:45
@OP, why do you think Chaos Daemons need an update?

They are urrrgly. Lol, and I know they are a really strong army but its very very 2-d.

Frostmane
29-04-2009, 03:47
Seeing that most people are saying that Space Wolves are next I wont place them on the list in hopes that it is true.

1. Dark Eldar
2. Necrons broken in good and bad ways, an update would be nice
3. Nids are in need of an update just to fix some balance issues

=][= the inquisition doesn't seem broken, just out of date. so it can come later

Yarick Zan
29-04-2009, 03:47
1) Dark Eldar
2) Necrons
3) Inquisition

Khornies & milk
29-04-2009, 03:50
I'm happy to put DE first, then Inquisition, then Necrons.
Overall, bring all the current armies up to 5th Edition, then move on from there.

Reinholt
29-04-2009, 03:50
My view:

1 - Dark Eldar. Old, with many poor models, rules that are totally out of whack with the current edition, and a rapidly eroding player base... despite having major potential to be a top-tier army in terms of background, sales, and gaming fun.

2 - Necrons. I only put them ahead of the Inquisition because, while the Inquisition books are old, the Witch Hunters still fare at least decently on the table and the allies rules means you see them occasionally. Necrons are extremely one-dimensional, have really been hurt by some of the changes in 5th edition, and are currently a rather boring army to play and play against. Again, major potential here to dramatically improve them, in terms of models, playability, and backround.

3 - Inquisition. Great background scattered throughout the 40k universe, but terribly in need of plastic models and updates (especially the Daemonhunters). The upside is that the guard book actually helps them out as well, but truth be told, they could use their own book to solidify the Inquisition forces with small scale tactical additions from either marines or the guard, depending on how it is done.

After that, Tyranids could use some work in terms of playstyle, and I'm leaving Space Wolves off the list because they are obviously coming.

SirSnipes
29-04-2009, 04:32
Dark Eldar, Necrons, and Tyranids (or the Inquisition)

Strikerkc
29-04-2009, 04:37
Tyranids need it bad. They're over costed for what they do, and they need a ton of rules brought into alignment with the current eddition. A hormagaunt that can actualy hurt something is over twice the cost (almost 3 times the cost even) of a basic Ork boy, and is still basicaly worse than the ork boy in every way but one (hormagaunts don't need trucks to cover ground as reliably).

Necrons need an update, not becuase they're behind the curve, but becuase they need a bunch of rules changed to be brough in line with the current rules set and give a reason to take some of the units in the army.

Dark Eldar are still actualy fairly competative, but they need to be brought in line with the new rules, and get some new stuff (half of the special rules and abilities in the game that are perfect for DE didn't even exist when the codex was made)

Deamon hunters need a codex brought into the current eddition.

Sisters of battle need To be made "Codex Curch" and just drop the whole inquisitorial thing from them.

EdFireborn
29-04-2009, 04:39
=][= mainly, specially daemonhunters....
also DE need a new codex, just for asthetic purposes...

Squallish
29-04-2009, 04:47
Dark Eldar - out of whack compared to anything released after Eldar.

Necrons - need an update to fix their AT and useless choices.

Chaos SM - mostly because there are too many no-brainer choices and not enough competition in any slot other than Troops.. and because I actually play them :P

Fideru
29-04-2009, 04:50
Definitely Dark Eldar. No one else (in my opinion!) NEEDS it as bad.

Kradle
29-04-2009, 04:55
Dark Eldar are in desperate need of a new dex and models.
Necrons need to be brought up to scratch with the current edition.

And to be honest.. everything on top of that is just a bonus.. these two need it most.. Not bloody more space marines!

Peace

JustTony
29-04-2009, 05:07
This is assuming that Space Pups are released before the end of the year.

Dark Eldar are the oldest book ( I think ) and need updated the worst. They're a great army, truly deadly in the hands of a pro but you can't even find the models anywhere except eBay and the GW site. Dark Eldar would most likely benefit GW's bottom line ($$ are important) the most and should be done next.

Lord knows my poor Grey Knights are in nearly as bad a shape as the DE, but aren't as competitive as the current DE book is. I'd like to be able to run a pure GK army but there's just no way. I played a 1500 point game against an Ork friend of mine, I put 31 models on the board, he put down 115. Yeah I tore up several of his units then the mob simply buried me. The "Shrouding" is worthless, since I have never had anyone fail to spot GKs that were close enough to fire their stormbolters, since the average spotting roll works out to about 30"-38" or so. And even against the new Chaos Deamons, yikes, once again you just get buried. At least Deamon players should go "Oh Crap, Grey Knights!" :eek:
I keep hearing about plastic Grey Knights but unless they can equal or surpass the detail on the current metal models, then leave well enough alone. The fantastic GK Termies are what originally drew me to the GKs and I don't think GW can equal them in plastic YET. I can handle GKs being an expensive (in both $ and points) expert's army, but they should at least make Chaos players sweat when one shows up and be able to give hoarde armies a scare with some luck. As is GKs have a hard time with hoardes and Armor heavy lists.

They probably need the biggest updates/changes to be competitive and are mostly likely the furthest away from a shiny new codex, assuming they get one at all, and don't just become a unit in someone else's list. I've heard ugly rumors at the local shop about that possibility. :cries:

Necrons are most likely the next most messed up list, having real issues in close combat. I've also seen some real messed up lists. Played against a kid the other day and at 1500 points he had the Nightbringer, two squads of 12 warriors and 3 monoliths :confused: against my Nids. I sent 90 gaunts (3 units) after his warriors, took my losses from his fire and phased him out on turn 2. :evilgrin: Not a smart build but he was convinced it could not be stopped. I think the necrons need some real help. He sure did.

My Nids could also use a little help, since a good number of biomorphs ( for example, extra rippers, thornback) no longer have any effect in the game. Also I'm not convinced that a Hormagaunt should cost 10 points when an Ork Boy is 6, heck a lousy Spinegaunt is only 5. :wtf: But the Nids are still a going concern and doing okay, not great but okay.

Afterwards the Tau and Eldar could both use minor updates but these both have relatively new codexes and are likely far off.

Oh and I want to see some plastic superheavies and/or flyers for someone other than the darned Imperials and Orkies. Plastic Trygons please, a Revenant would be stupid easy to do ( I have a FW Revenant, it's not a difficult model to build at all the plastic Stompa is a much bigger pain) and a Scorpion/Cobra combo kit (ala the Stormsword/Stormlord) would likely fly off the shelves. So would Tau flyers I think.

Peace: through well written, timely and updated codexes.
Come on GW, I know you can do it! :D

Ddraiglais
29-04-2009, 05:09
1-Chaos Legions
2-DE
3-A combined Inquisition dex with AH included

Nonalyth
29-04-2009, 05:13
Chaos SM - mostly because there are too many no-brainer choices and not enough competition in any slot other than Troops.. and because I actually play them :P
I agree (maybe also because I play them). Chaos got hit with the bland stick, back when that was GW's new design philosophy, but then they forgot about that and came out with the new SM codex. Chaos needs the character put back in the army.

Not that they need it right away. Dark Eldar/Necrons/Inquisition need it beofre anyone else.

squeekenator
29-04-2009, 05:18
Daemonhunters and Necrons need a revision much more than Dark Eldar do. Dark Eldar are a very powerful army if you avoid the obviously pathetic units (and it really is obvious how bad they are) and are intelligent enough to use cover. One the other hand, Daemonhunters have 4 units that aren't overpriced in their entire codex and can be combined with Witch Hunters to update two armies at once, and Necrons are underpowered across the board, have totally useless units, are a chore to play against and are more popular than Dark Eldar or Daemonhunters. After those two, either Dark Eldar because they're neglected or Tyranids because they're a one-trick pony whose only trick is pretty boring and unfluffy.

Eirich
29-04-2009, 05:32
1 - Dark Eldar, oldest one out there and deserves some time in the spotlight.
2 - Necron, needs to be brought up to date.
3 - Inquisition/Daemon Hunters, same case as the Necrons.
4 - Tau, might be affected by personal favouring but 2010 is the 5 year celebration of their codex.

Over all I'd like to see a plastic flyer (or equal) for each faction to add some new flavour and fluff to the battles.

Tomalock
29-04-2009, 05:41
I love my Daemonhunters, but the stormshield rule in the codex makes me sad. Although to be fair, giving a Grand Master or an Inquisitor Lord a 2+/3+ save would be brutal in some lists. In any event, I would like to see the Daemonhunters brought in line with the rest of 5th ed. but I am aprehensive because I have seen how badly GW can mutilate old books. I have spent a lot of time and effort on my Grey Knights, I'd hate to see it all for nought with some crazyass revision.

NightrawenII
29-04-2009, 06:35
1- Necrons, uncompentive, repetive, boring:(
2- DaemonHunters, they get bitchslaped by deamons:rolleyes:
3- Dark Eldar, ugly models, old dex but overal competive

NightrawenII

Charistoph
29-04-2009, 06:47
Which Codex need updating?

Dark Eldar - way to far behind, either update or kill the concept.
Space Wolves - Same as above.
Tau - Running and other 5th edition changes has seriously changed this army to the detriment.
Necrons - needs salt.
Inquisition - too spread out, mixing Grey Knights, Sisters, and Death Watch would improve all of them.

Other SM codeci sprinkled in for flavoring after SW get done, Black Templars, Dark Angels, and Blood Angels, in that order.

By then Tyrannids and Eldar would need updating to keep up with Codex creep and we will begin time for Orks, SM and 6th Edition, and Chaos to come back around.

a squig
29-04-2009, 07:05
1. tyranids this new ED has serverly crippled them
2. =][= need to be redone and put in one book
3. necrons

i think dark eldar need to taken out like the squats and zoats and replaced by a new fresh army

Lord Of The Avatars
29-04-2009, 07:19
I think dark eldar have no place in 40k anymore, so like squig said, should be taken out (its too late for them) and replaced by a new army... Like flying spiders that crap on you...yeeeeah thats better than dark eldar... And i have heard that tyranids have been properly made rubbish, so i think they should be one of the first with new miniatures and a new codex.
Anyway, necrons still have a place and need another troops choice, atleast another 3, and need the rules patching up with a brand new codex!
Whereas the inquisition can hold out with metal models for another year i'd say, and the rest just need codexes redoing and a few more plastic models and styles =):D But make sure eldar are the first to be updated!

Darth ryanus
29-04-2009, 07:31
I think they should leave the humans alone for a while they have already done Marines,Guard and wolfs(soon) how about some of the other races to make the 40k universe more interesting because at the moment it seems the only race out there is humanity and they are killing them selves of.

1-Dark eldar they do have a place in the game they just need a complete fluff and rules reset.
2-Tau most of the new 5th ed rules screw this army over treu los and run have made there JSJ unique ability naff.
3-Tyranids are meant to be the ultimate threat but they are a very lacking army at the moment
4-Necrons need a complete rethink get rid of all the phase out rules for a start.

Inach
29-04-2009, 07:37
1 Necrons; uncompentive, repetive, boring. Give them a complete revamp, be creative but follow the fluff.
2 Dark Eldar; some ugly models, old dex. Our DE player can paint very well, so his models look awesome... :D They can still perform pretty well if played well (somethin Crons cant). If they get an update a big revamp is needed.
3 DaemonHunters / Nids / Dark angels; No big revamp but a update of the dex (and some new plastic models).
4 Chaos SM; fix twin lash oblit spam.

Nezmith
29-04-2009, 07:43
Now that's not very fair to the Dark Eldar players, their army represents Warhammer 40k just as much as anyone Else's.

I won't mention Space Wolves since they are getting their update after Planetstrike comes out.

Dark Eldar deserve to be updated and brought into line, which is exactly what is happening.

Necrons deserve to be updated and brought into the 5th edition as well, as the army now has glaring weaknesses.

The Inquisition should just become a single Codex again, so that there are less codices to update. But yeah, it needs an update as well.

After that I guess the cycle starts over again.

genestealer_baldric
29-04-2009, 08:02
well GW has done it before to much loved races like squats and zoats so almost nothing i think is safe from Gw's point of view. i do think it likely they will get rid of Dark eldar but i also think they have there time, and arnt that well thought out concept and dont realy "click" with the modern 40k game

Darkstar2586
29-04-2009, 08:04
That time if the week already for another of these posts? *sigh*

Hypaspist
29-04-2009, 08:14
1) Dark Eldar - It's not that they are uncompetetive, but they need a new codex that properly gives the Dark Eldar player many ways of playing the army - see Ork Codex, (almost) every unit is worth taking. I also happen to think that it would be a great revenue stream if done correctly.

2) Necrons - From what I understand the Necrons are in serious need of codex love.

3) Inquisition Forces - Placed third due to Imperial overkill on Codices recently (DA before 5th, SM and Guard and SW on its way post 5th) I think we need to have some Xeno updates before we go back to the 'good guys' however when we do i think the Inquisition is a real opportunity to make an excellent codex three in one. also this range needs the plastics probably more than any other.

Kettu
29-04-2009, 08:18
The Inquisition should just become a single Codex again, so that there are less codices to update. But yeah, it needs an update as well.

Ok, now I really know I'm out of sink with reality.

Unless you mean the Sisters, who were not even in the slightest way, shape or form related to the Inquisition till 2004 when GW suddenly goes to all the SoB collectors, 'Oh yeah, Sisters are the inquisition's army. Have a new HQ mini, crappy rules and don't bother us till the next millennium.'

Anyway, my order;

I) Dark Eldar, for no more reason then it was, is and remains to be the absolute OLDEST codex in current circulation.
II) Sisters of Battle, We need the following, PLASTICS, non-nerfed everything that isn't Basic Sister Squads, Exorcist or Cannoness and a noticeable LACK of Inquisition.
III) Daemonhunters, you know, those guys who are paradoxically crap space marines.
IV) Necrons, need to be brought into alignment with Vth ed.
V) Everything else BUT Marines of any colour.

genestealer_baldric
29-04-2009, 08:21
demonhunters who actually are pathetic against demons need if not a whole new codex but at least an update to be good against demons

Max_Killfactor
29-04-2009, 11:19
1) Dark Eldar: They have so much potential. With new models and a new codex, I think they will be roughly as popular as Eldar. Their current codex can win games still, but some of the wargear doesn't work anymore, half the units are hard to justify taking, and they could really benefit from some of the new rules (outflanking comes to mind).

2) Necrons: Not many options in this army and the new rules hurt them.

3) Witch/Demon Hunters: If either of these had plastic troop kits, I would probably be playing them.

Souleater
29-04-2009, 11:39
Dark Eldar - Codex needs more background so that players can get behind the army. DE need some lovely new figures to replace the very, very old miniatures they have now.

As to the codex being competitive...um...yes and no. Half the unit entries are pointless after two editions of 40K or were poorly designed to begin with (e.g. Scourges).

That leaves most DE players only using a few specific units. Old DE players such as myself throw in some of the poorer units now and again for fun because we can 'get by' with the good stuff. That is not indicative of a balanced Codex.

I know GW have done some work on these guys but I really would not be surprised to learn they had been Squatted. That would be a real pity as a good range of figures would sell like hotcakes to old and new DE players alike - and you wouldn't be able to pick any of them up on ebay second hand!

Second up I'd say are Necron. 5th ed really boned them in assault and anti-vehicle. Could do with new figures (e.g. Pariah, plastic FOs or Immortals) and intelligent tweaking of existing units.

Next, Tyranids. Apart from some plastic gargoyles and Tyrant guard who are big enough to look as if they can guard a Hive Tyrant they don't need any figures.

They need a tweak to their ranged anti-vehicle and to be made back into an army that is feared for its hand-to-hand combat prowess rather than it's close ranged shootiness.

Captain Micha
29-04-2009, 11:41
I'm going to do this by the least playable races.

1 Tau, they don't even have a single build that is good anymore. At their strongest they are the bottom of the middle.... that's a crappy army when even number 2 on this list can beat your *** reliably. Everything they can do other armies can do better, in both mobility and shooting (often at the same time.. Guard and Eldar). Let alone be better at the assault phase. Every army should be able to build a strong assault army if they so desire. "fluff" be damned here. I'm sorry in a universe were CC is that important the Tau would pick someone up that is -good- at assault sooner or later. Let alone their mediocre on a good day shooting.

2. Necrons pretty much the only army Crons are strong against right now is the Tau. And that ain't sayin much. Crons at least have the option to survive... mostly they need a pt cost revision and a serious overhaul of Guass. Bonus cookies would include giving Necrons a unit that is actually -good- at assault. There's also no excuse what so ever for any of those minis to be metal.

3. Dark Eldar... there's only really one build in this army that works. When it's down to one, it's time to update. Don't get me started on the hideous model range.

Trogdor
29-04-2009, 11:43
You are ALL wrong, it's blatantly the squa-

Ironhand
29-04-2009, 11:47
Here's my list, again assuming that the Space Wolves are coming out by the end of this year:

1) Dark Eldar - by far the most in need of an update, regardless of whether or not they are a "competitive" list.
2) Tyranids - need to be revised to be in line with 5th Edition.
3) Necrons - need to be revised to be in line with 5th Edition.
4) Black Templars - very much out of date considering both the 5th Edition Changes and the new SM Codex.
5) Dark Angels - need to be brought into line with the new SM Codex
6) Blood Angels - same situation as Dark Angels
7) Tau - Need some minor fixes to bring them into line with 5th Edition
8) Daemon Hunters/ Witch Hunters - Sure they need fixing, but I think they should be GW's last priority for existing Codexes.

Bellygrub
29-04-2009, 11:52
I'd like to see Tau redone with a few new races tossed into their book...maybe a squat squad or two. But that's mostly selfish.

DE are in bad shape and Necrons could use some new units.

PapaDoc
29-04-2009, 12:03
Here are mine:

Necrons
They can't deal with terminators or tanks very well. Mech armies are simply unfair to them. They are also at a huge disadvantage in close combat. Most units are ridiculously overpriced. If there is any codex need to be fixed it is necrons.

Tyranids
They simply have no ranged way of dealing with vechicles. Shaking a transport is very not very great. I know that if I bring 4+ Rhinos and 2+ possessed tanks the nid player simply can't win. Nids need an a relieble ranged antitank weapon (even if the range is 12"). Their anti-infantry works fine.

Dark Eldar
Haven't played against them very much. Every game I played versus Deldar was a loss though so they are ok gamewise I guess. I know a lot of the choices in the wargear section don't work. Some units are made of suck and are overpriced (jumppack heavy weapons??? Give them relentless or something instead!!). They are in dire need of new models.

Deamonhunters and Witchunters
Some units and wargear can't be used. They are also hard played but still very deadly. I cannot figure out why people claim that deamonhunters are easily defeated by deamons. New plastic models would be the best thing I guess.

Tau and everybody else
Tau and everybody else are fine.

Oh yeah and one more thing. Codex Chaos should be removed. You should get chaos marines by buying marks for the loyal ones. Also all chaos vechicles should cost 50 % more than loyal ones.

Goodbye

captainramoz
29-04-2009, 12:06
Ok, so wondering what you guys think.
My list from 1-3 would be
Dark Eldar
Chaos Daemons
Tyranids
What do you guys think, and no matter what DARK ELDAR IS YOUR FIRST CHOICE.
Chaos daemons and tyranids?
Their codex came out 1 or 2 years ago they are not really neglected or forgotten on the other hand DE and SW are starving for some renewal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Bunnahabhain
29-04-2009, 12:25
DE, the ]I[ armies and necrons all have very strong bids for the most in need, both for rules and models.

Past that, it would be Tau an Nids, both of which could do with updated rules, but have very limited model related issues -plastic gargoyles are about it...

Lotoc_Sabbath
29-04-2009, 12:33
Surely I go for necrons they are just insane and have many problems.
Phase out needs to be eliminated and they need to be revised in too many points.

also dark eldar isvery very unbalanced with the other codexs. they need surely to be revised

And more than that witch and deamon henters need to be greatly revised.

Bob Hunk
29-04-2009, 12:39
Assuming Space Wolves are on their way for later this year, I'd go as follows:

1. Dark Eldar
2. Necrons
3. Combined =I= codex (inc. Ordo Xenos)
4. Tyranids
5. Blood Angels
6. Chaos Space Marines
7. Dark Angels
8. Tau Empires

x-esiv-4c
29-04-2009, 13:01
1 - Chaos
2 - DE
3 - Inquisition

Gloom
29-04-2009, 13:03
1. Dark Eldar (must contain lots of pretty boys with peircings and drugs; kinda like the clubs I like ;p)

2. Necrons (must actually try to show how advanced they are or continue with the retcon of them being all broken down)

3. Inquisition (or give SoB their own codex with more options)

4. Tau Empire (Have not seen them win a single game in over a year now)

aberrant_unc
29-04-2009, 13:16
Assuming space wolves come out soon.

1. Dark Eldar
2. Necrons
3. Inquisition WH/DH
4. Lost and the Damned - the #1 enemy of the imperium in the fluff should be an army.

Tau and Nids aren't really that bad, but would probably be next in line after these four. If they get all that done before 6th edition screws it all to hell, then they can look at chaos legion books, SM legion books, adding a new army or something.

I would love to see GW accomplish all of that before 6th ed comes out, AND I would like to see 10-15 pages in the back of the 6th ed core rulebook devoted to errata-ing the 5th ed codexes to keep them playable in 6th.

Razarael
29-04-2009, 13:25
I'm still amazed at all the people saying Chaos. Their book is far more recent than the vast majority of others. Just being unhappy with some selections doesn't mean an army needs an update. An army needs an update if they haven't seen any GW love for a while or there is something seriously wrong with it. If armies don't work well with the new rules, then surely they need an update.

Not just because there are no brainer choices or insta-win armies made possible. :)

Poseidal
29-04-2009, 13:25
Squats.

They haven't had an army list since the all encompassing Black Codex/Codex Imperialis. :(

aberrant_unc
29-04-2009, 13:28
I play chaos, and I wish they had included some form of cult lists in the codex.... but saying chaos needs redone is silly. There are at least 5 or so codexes that need it worse.

Ixquic
29-04-2009, 13:30
If GW were to remove the Inquisition branches from the Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle armies, what would happen to them? It's pretty clear that they are not going to be doing the allies thing anymore and there isn't enough pure DH/WH stuff to make a book. I don't want the Inquisitors to be totally removed from the game since they are just cool and really important to the whole story and background. Maybe they could be extra HQs (like Primaris Psykers for Guard) but the overall theme related more to the Sisters and Knights.

I don't think jamming them all into one book is a good idea. Grey Knights and Sisters really don't have any real connections (especially since Grey Knights tend to kill off witnesses) and including them into the same army is kinda weird.

Culsandar
29-04-2009, 13:40
If GW would get off it's rump and issue an Errata or book of wargear to upgrade the Astartes books (BA/BT/DA) to C:SM wargear standards, it would resolve alot of issues and bring the older codexi more in line with 5th edition. This would prevent the need for new books for a time.

The actual codexi they should be focusing on imo are DE, Crons, DH and SW, as even gear changes wouldn't get them close.

I'd like to see them bring back Chaos Legions, but that's a distant second to bringing these up.

All imo anywho.

Troah
29-04-2009, 13:46
Dark Eldar NEED it so bad! They're my only army for 40k and it's frustrating seeing everyone else get a new codex with cool fun things and DE just get pushed aside to collect dust while Space Marines (GW's favorite child) get gifts every day like it's christmas. >:-/

The Imperium must die!!! =D

W0lf
29-04-2009, 14:01
Space wolves.

Because i live in the real world where a full redo of Dark eldar is not a good move due to risk/profitability.

Lets face it space wolves are 1/10tht he work and probably sell 2x better. Theres a reason DE havnt been updated for so long, Guard got an update to push sales of the super heay IG tanks, Valk and forgeworld upgrades for tanks.

Vepr
29-04-2009, 14:04
I would say DE first just in terms of the wait they have had for a new dex.

Then again from a game play view I would say Necrons, Tau, DH/WH, then DE.

The biased gamer in me wants to see Tyranids done because they are my main army and I don't play nidzilla. One thing I don't want is them to do the new nid dex last before they bring out 6th edition. I would rather they just wait until after they realease 6th and then write a new nid dex for it.

Colonial Rifle
29-04-2009, 14:07
I'm still amazed at all the people saying Chaos. Their book is far more recent than the vast majority of others. Just being unhappy with some selections doesn't mean an army needs an update. An army needs an update if they haven't seen any GW love for a while or there is something seriously wrong with it. If armies don't work well with the new rules, then surely they need an update.

Not just because there are no brainer choices or insta-win armies made possible. :)

A new Chaos codex is not a priority, but the whole CSM + Daemons codexs just needs to be binned and started again (minus Alessio & Gav).

Assuming we get SW near Xmas (and they do need a new book), it should be:

DE: This army has suffered from not having a champion on the design team. The list is still conceptually strong, so there shouldn't be a problem. I would actually look forward to the new background instead of the same old cut and paste jobs GW do.

Necrons: actually in a worse state on the battlefield than DE. Need a heavy rules rewrite + more plastics. They could really expand the range here too.

Deamon hunters / Tau / Tyranids: These could be quick fixes. No huge model revamp required, but their rules are flagging badly under 5th.

W0lf
29-04-2009, 14:12
Space wolves are september.. in time for games day. Isnt that blatantly obvious?

the1stpip
29-04-2009, 14:15
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Grey Knights.

Although I am looking forward to the Dark Eldar, Necrons probably need an update before Dark Eldar.

Kyrios
29-04-2009, 14:24
If anyone wonders how old DE is...

When Codex: Dark Eldar was released:

Pluto was a planet
No-one had ever seen an Euro
or Sponge-Bob Square pants
There was a war in Kosovo
File-sharing/pirating was pre-Napster

Xelloss
29-04-2009, 14:29
This is my wishlist of sorting order :

1/ Dark elfdars - show you care about old armies GW !
2/ Necron - obvious reasons already said previously
3/ Ecclesiarchy - nowadays plastic is nice enough to do their powerarmour so we can do conversions without resculting each model... Zealots should be rethinked so they can be upgraded from their chapter approved status. Priest as IG (still really expensive but better the present one), and we should be able to take arcoflagellant, repentia and penitent engine without making every-one burst in laugh.
4/ Forces of the Imperium - no allies but vanilla IG, SM and SoB as choices directly in the codex. More radical options. Maybe planetary governor as HQ or something like that for additional choice. Grey Kight or not (they can have their own codex, but they can fit inside too). LatD can be fit inside (they are "inside" enemies, so it means they are part of the Imperium) that can be taken as a pure army, or choice for a radical inquisitor (Xanthism anyone ?)
5/ Tyranids - with the soooo quick release rate of codices it will then be quite old enough for a new version
6/ Tau - same reason ; It would be nice that kroot (and other tau allies ?) could run pure forces.
7/ Black Templars - we need it, but we can wait until then
8/ Chaos Space Marines - With real choices inside, like legions, cultists and such
9/ Elfdar - I don't really know them so I put them only then
10/ Dark Angels or Blood Angels

druchii lord narakh
29-04-2009, 14:34
Dark eldar need to be done right after SW. the tyranids dont need an update there good if you run them right. orks need to have a points increase for the basic boy. and necrons should come after inquisition cause the necs are good right now.(will be back still good).

Brotheroracle
29-04-2009, 14:45
well GW has done it before to much loved races like squats and zoats so almost nothing i think is safe from Gw's point of view. i do think it likely they will get rid of Dark eldar but i also think they have there time, and arnt that well thought out concept and dont realy "click" with the modern 40k game

They will not get rid of DE, for one there are far too many mentions and nods to them in the fluff. I'm not sure how they dont "click" ad I think there's room for a bunch of piratical raiders dragging their victims away to some horrible fate and if they would update the the models (other then the raider, well new gunner maybe) I would buy them in a heartbeat the little fluff they have is conceptually different enough from other races in terms of weapons, wargear, and motive that they are not a copy of another army.

If you want to talk about an army that dosnt quite click with the rest of 40k look at the tau not that there isnt a niche for the play style of the tau army (aggressive mobile shooting) but in a game where every other race is as old as dirt (or older) and have been struggling to rebuild lost empires/not get wiped out and are generally xenocidal maniacs the tau are new and friendly breaking with the theme of "everyone fights forever and has been fighting thousands of years"

Captain Micha
29-04-2009, 14:48
Tau are more like "Join us or die". Not friendly.

In any other universe the Tau would be universally seen as the bad guys.

The Laughing God
29-04-2009, 14:51
1.Dark Eldar
2.Necrons
3.Tyranids
4.Inquistion

Wow, I play all those armies beside 4:rolleyes:

Dark Eldar have been said to be already worked on, GW just wants to make it perfect because they've had it so bad for so long.

No more marines please!;)

Troah
29-04-2009, 14:53
Tau are good guys. =D
Even if they're just tools that the Necro god's use. czan or w/e they're called.

For the greater good? <3

Brotheroracle
29-04-2009, 14:53
Tau are more like "Join us or die". Not friendly.

In any other universe the Tau would be universally seen as the bad guys.

Join us or die is allot better then "Die or die horribly."

druchii lord narakh
29-04-2009, 14:54
i play DE and i tell you now that we need a rules update before anyone else. the only way we can win is if we keep pushing on the enemy and if we dont or get bad rolls... well then we lose no mater what. i mean we have no troop unit that is good at holding stuff. WE NEED UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troah
29-04-2009, 14:58
i play DE and i tell you now that we need a rules update before anyone else. the only way we can win is if we keep pushing on the enemy and if we dont or get bad rolls... well then we lose no mater what. i mean we have no troop unit that is good at holding stuff. WE NEED UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

So very true.

Vepr
29-04-2009, 15:02

Nids are in the same boat. Large gant squads die by the handful and have to have a synapse baby sitter to claim anything. The other alternative is 16 plus point assault oriented creatures with tissue paper for armor that can be upgraded to paper towel armor for a hefty point increase. After trying to hold objectives I have turned to the more fluffly solution.

The Tyranids only objective is to eat you alive and the only thing they "hold" is the brief memory of your taste. :p

Captain Micha
29-04-2009, 15:02

True.

Anyone else notice though how the Tau get darker and darker with each new bit of fluff released?

I wonder how many jaded Shasos there are out there now.

Vepr
29-04-2009, 15:04

There are worse things like "You may now kiss the bride" or "You have to move to Detroit..." ;)

getupandgo
29-04-2009, 15:05
This is my wishlist of sorting order :

1/ Dark elfdars - show you care about old armies GW !
2/ Necron - obvious reasons already said previously
3/ Ecclesiarchy - nowadays plastic is nice enough to do their powerarmour so we can do conversions without resculting each model... Zealots should be rethinked so they can be upgraded from their chapter approved status. Priest as IG (still really expensive but better the present one), and we should be able to take arcoflagellant, repentia and penitent engine without making every-one burst in laugh.
4/ Forces of the Imperium - no allies but vanilla IG, SM and SoB as choices directly in the codex. More radical options. Maybe planetary governor as HQ or something like that for additional choice. Grey Kight or not (they can have their own codex, but they can fit inside too). LatD can be fit inside (they are "inside" enemies, so it means they are part of the Imperium) that can be taken as a pure army, or choice for a radical inquisitor (Xanthism anyone ?)
5/ Tyranids - with the soooo quick release rate of codices it will then be quite old enough for a new version
6/ Tau - same reason ; It would be nice that kroot (and other tau allies ?) could run pure forces.
7/ Black Templars - we need it, but we can wait until then
8/ Chaos Space Marines - With real choices inside, like legions, cultists and such
9/ Elfdar - I don't really know them so I put them only then
10/ Dark Angels or Blood Angels

Pretty much agree with this list.

A couple to add:

Orks: fix nob bikers, they're broken beyond belief.

Chaos; make lash more expensive

Add AdMech to it, and we'd have a pretty much complete, playable game!

druchii lord narakh
29-04-2009, 15:06
id say hering "honey im home" is worse.

genestealer_baldric
29-04-2009, 15:12
Nids are in the same boat. Large gant squads die by the handful and have to have a synapse baby sitter to claim anything. The other alternative is 16 plus point assault oriented creatures with tissue paper for armor that can be upgraded to paper towel armor for a hefty point increase. After trying to hold objectives I have turned to the more fluffly solution.

The Tyranids only objective is to eat you alive and the only thing they "hold" is the brief memory of your taste. :p

absolutley correct i second this point and hope they get done in the near futer as is rumored at the moment

Poseidal
29-04-2009, 15:52

Actually, Tau are not Join us or die.

They're Join us AND die slowly as 2nd class citizens or die a bit faster.

At least the Imperium is honest about it. "We hate everyone so prepare to be killed when we get there."

40kdhs
29-04-2009, 16:27
Inquisition <---->GK. The fact of the matter is GW know which race needs the update but they don't care.

Sorros
29-04-2009, 18:49
1) DE
2) Neos
3) ???

I've played against a few DE's, they all say there needs to be new rules...and from the way the battles turned out, I would agree.

I also hear that Neos need a new codex, and again, having played them, there are some odd imbalances.

dooombot
29-04-2009, 19:08
hmmm

lets see how long everyone can endlessly repeat post after post after post of the same xact thoughts

The_Outsider
29-04-2009, 19:42
1) Chaos - because GW personally persecuted both of my armies - what was wrong with the balanced and fluffy infiltrating alpha legion forces and the colourfull and not cheesy IW army?

It is a blatant oversight by GW to shaft chaos players, now the current codex is completwly unplayable - even necrons have a better codex, how *dare* GW go and remove the brilliant (and balanced) cult rules and abilities from the codex chaos? Not once did anyone complain ad the 4th HS slot for IW, or the Siren prince or the infiltrating first turn charging alpha legion lord - the fact that he costed 190 points made it balanced!

Frankly DE/nids/tau/necrons/etc can wait, chaos have far more pressing issues that need seeing too.

If you think i'm serious, then I feel sorry for you.

HereticLosMorte
29-04-2009, 19:43
1. dark eldar (badly)
2. Necrons
3. Inquisition forces

nids aren't too bad as it stands, even if they are a previous version's codex, so maybe a #4 for them

i personally would like to see a chaos legions book, so that i can use my emperor's children army again -_-

Corrode
29-04-2009, 19:50
1) Chaos - because GW personally persecuted both of my armies - what was wrong with the balanced and fluffy infiltrating alpha legion forces and the colourfull and not cheesy IW army?

It is a blatant oversight by GW to shaft chaos players, now the current codex is completwly unplayable - even necrons have a better codex, how *dare* GW go and remove the brilliant (and balanced) cult rules and abilities from the codex chaos? Not once did anyone complain ad the 4th HS slot for IW, or the Siren prince or the infiltrating first turn charging alpha legion lord - the fact that he costed 190 points made it balanced!

Frankly DE/nids/tau/necrons/etc can wait, chaos have far more pressing issues that need seeing too.

If you think i'm serious, then I feel sorry for you.

T_O every once in a while I read one of your posts and my mancrush gets a little more passionate.

popisdead
29-04-2009, 21:47
Eldar as 40 pts for a weapon upgrade that on a good day kills 1 marine a turn,.. really doesn't justify itself against a free heavy bolter on that marine squad.

CordovaLemonSlayer
29-04-2009, 22:14
1. Dark Eldar (Reason being, they haven't gotten a serious update since 1998)

2. Daemonhunters (Come, everyone loves inquisitors.)

3. SQUATS! (I know, they're dead, a guy can dream can't he...)

victorpofa
30-04-2009, 02:15
Space Wolves (Rumors say September to November)
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Daemonhunters
Witch Hunters

This should get the 3rd Edition Codices out of the way. Only then should the 4th Edition Tyranids be updated. IMHO of course.

Imperius
30-04-2009, 02:20
Space Wolves (Rumors say September to November)
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Daemonhunters
Witch Hunters

This should get the 3rd Edition Codices out of the way. Only then should the 4th Edition Tyranids be updated. IMHO of course.

Wait what? I thought Dark Eldar were like....-(negative)2 Edition?

TheDarkDuke
30-04-2009, 02:24
Man a top 3... I put the first a head simply do to extremely old books:

1. Dark Eldar
2. Space Wolves
3. Necron

If you want to continue on:

4. Daemon Hunters
5. Tyranids
6. Black Templar
7. Witch Hunters (If not made into one book with DH)
8. Tau

SirSnipes
30-04-2009, 02:25
Wait what? I thought Dark Eldar were like....-(negative)2 Edition?

they had a small update, that added a few new rules and some characters

TheFloatingHead
30-04-2009, 02:25
Ultramarines baby, they totally need an update! Marneus needs a gun that shoots power fists!:p

Empire
30-04-2009, 02:34
I feel disappointed in the Witchhunters; anything that's not a Sisters of Battle Unit or Vehicle sucks. Penitent Engine sucks, Arc Flagellants suck, Sisters Repentia suck... Really, they need an update. Penitent Engine should be a complete kicker of a****; just look at those blades and spikes and who-knows-what!

Of course, I don't know enough about the Dark Eldar or Necrons to comment, and they probably do need an update more.

The_Outsider
30-04-2009, 07:09
they had a small update, that added a few new rules and some characters

Yeah, how dare us DE players demand an update! GW already added vehicle upgrades because the first printing had none and actually made wych weapons work rather than simply being a cluster**** of rules.

Hell, DE are so special they get fluff removed from their codex!

Corrode
30-04-2009, 10:42
Yeah, how dare us DE players demand an update! GW already added vehicle upgrades because the first printing had none and actually made wych weapons work rather than simply being a cluster**** of rules.

Hell, DE are so special they get fluff removed from their codex!

I think he was actually just confirming that the DE were in fact 3rd edition, rather than being 2nd edition or something stupid like that. ;)

The number of people posting that X or Y released-since-2006 Codex needs updating because 'it's so broken that I have some useless upgrades' or 'this unit is under/overcosted!' is both sad and amusing.

The Clairvoyant
30-04-2009, 11:15
Where have all the Dark Angel players gone? A couple of months ago, they were the ones who "desperately" needed an update because the blue marines had better stuff than them and it was like really unfair and stuff.

Nice to see people posting with real issues and pointing to codex books that have gone a long time without an update :)

On a personal level, i find dark eldar, witchhunters and necrons incredibly dull. If i were on the design team i'd feel 'meh' about working on those codex books when there are far more interesting armies to work on. Drop dark eldar back to fluff only or better still, have them eaten by the squats. *waits for the hate*

genestealer_baldric
30-04-2009, 11:17
Where have all the Dark Angel players gone? A couple of months ago, they were the ones who "desperately" needed an update because the blue marines had better stuff than them and it was like really unfair and stuff.

Nice to see people posting with real issues and pointing to codex books that have gone a long time without an update :)

On a personal level, i find dark eldar, witchhunters and necrons incredibly dull. If i were on the design team i'd feel 'meh' about working on those codex books when there are far more interesting armies to work on. Drop dark eldar back to fluff only or better still, have them eaten by the squats. *waits for the hate*

the tyranids havent won anything for a while, give them to the interstella dustbin

i also think dark eldar need to be retired to the fluff, because they dont do anything, no empire expansion, no tech devlopment. They just evil eldar like chaos are evil humans , but at leat chaos try to do stuff. why not add in peacefull orks and dieting tyranids :evilgrin:

Hypaspist
30-04-2009, 11:27
Where have all the Dark Angel players gone?

Hi!
No seriously though, If DA need anything its just a white dwarf tweak. I worked under the impression that we are talking full codex treatment here, in which case I consider DA to be way way down the list. We have chapter specific models (Vets and RW box set), we have a decent codex (note by decent I am not trying to say its the best, buts its relatively solid, with options (Ravenwing, Deathwing, mix of forces)

More a nice to have than anything else. Other Codices have many more pressing issues than you will find in Codex DA (imho)

I am sure there will be people who disagree.
an update would be nice, do we need/deserve it above others... nope.

aberrant_unc
30-04-2009, 11:32
Not having a codex for 11+ years makes it a little hard to do stuff. I'm sure the dark eldar codex will have a lot of good fluff talking about raids they have been doing, etc. I'm hoping we see a lot of tie ins with the Tau and other worlds. DE have always had interesting fluff, unique rules and should not just be lumped in with the eldar.

Honestly, the fact that they are still a mostly playable army with a codex that is 10+ years old tells you that was one of the better written codexes of 3E.... If I tried to use the 3E chaos codex (the one with angry face on the cover) to play in 5th edition I would get absolutely slammed!

squeekenator
30-04-2009, 11:41

Well, the least offensive thing I can say here is that either you really suck or your opponents are cheesy gits who play Nob Biker/Lashprince spam. For a start, you have the best assault unit in the game. Raiders are excellent, Warriors are quite useful and border on overpowered when you mass dark lances. Ravagers with disintegrators dish out ridiculous amounts of firepower, and are very fast on top of that. Your characters are capable of easily wiping multiple squads off the table unless your shadow field hates you, and an Archon with a retinue of Incubi is, while expensive, an extremely effective assault unit that rips through anything that isn't a vehicle. You also have a practically guaranteed first-turn charge combo on your super-characters and the ability to deploy everyone's favourite webway portals, which let your super Wyches move onto the table and assault pretty much anything on the table in the same turn, thanks to Raiders.

Dark Eldar are pretty weak if you take Hellions, Scourges, Grotesques or the weaker wargear options, and Reavers are hardly optimal, but if you stick to what's strong you have one of the best armies in the game.

genestealer_baldric
30-04-2009, 12:25
last night in a 1500 point game i faced 16 darklances realy good combat troops and combat drugs ??? made them even more insane. granted he was realy realy unlukcy and only kiled 1 dreadnought and one pred in 6 turns with the lances, granted its a second ed codex and i was using a 3rd wolf codex but it still very very strong. i still think its stronger than some newer armies like necrons and even nids

Necromancer2
30-04-2009, 12:36
Dark eldar
Deamon Hunters
Necrons

then...
Space pups
Blood Angels
sqauts

Empire
30-04-2009, 12:40

Yeah, let's drop them and every other non-Marine squad! They're all too boring! Imperial Guard is team cannon fodder, Tyranids can only swarm, Orks have bad spelling, Chaos Demons look ugly, Tau are too short, Eldar have funny hats.

There, we still have a varied codex! It consists of Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Ultra Marines, Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines, and all the other marines!

Or not.

genestealer_baldric
30-04-2009, 12:48
just because people dislike dark eldar dosnt instantley make them marine lovers

Mannimarco
30-04-2009, 12:57
true i dislike the DE (dang theyre some ugly models) and im not overly keen on marines either (wow you play marines as well? far to many marine players)

dont get me wrong i dont want marines to be a niche army but it gets a little samey when everybody and their dog has a marine army

JustTony
30-04-2009, 13:05
true i dislike the DE (dang theyre some ugly models) and im not overly keen on marines either (wow you play marines as well? far to many marine players)

dont get me wrong i dont want marines to be a niche army but it gets a little samey when everybody and their dog has a marine army

My dog doesn't have a Marine army.

Wait a minute, I don't have a dog.

Wait another minute, BOTH cats have Marine armies. How'd that happen?

genestealer_baldric
30-04-2009, 13:13

the reason that everyone has a marine army is becasuse it part of the 40k Dogma :evilgrin:

Joewrightgm
30-04-2009, 13:16
I've got an interesting point of view:

Necrons first: Here's why; the codex I feel has gotten the biggest hit out of all the codices with the change to 5th. Units that no one took became marginally worse, units that everyone took became marginally worse, and they come from the "special rules have at least a page dedicated to them for each unit" era of codex development.

Dark Eldar: really, every time I've seen a dark eldar player, they have tabled myself or their opponent really quickly. There is really not a whole lot wrong with the Dark Eldar codex, but the models are HORRENDOUS. I would most definitely play a Dark Eldar list if not for the awful models.

Inquisition: These guys have a fairly defunct codex mostly because of the wargear being an absolute mess with the new demons.

Kettu
30-04-2009, 15:36
Honestly, the fact that they are still a mostly playable army with a codex that is 10+ years old tells you that was one of the better written codexes of 3E.... If I tried to use the 3E chaos codex (the one with angry face on the cover) to play in 5th edition I would get absolutely slammed!

Uhhh... They have one of the WORST codices ever written, but by utter chance they are still playable with their list even today simply because the rules have been allowing it. It was no brilliance to the plan, ever.

[SNIP] granted its a second ed codex and i was using a 3rd wolf codex but it still very very strong. i still think its stronger than some newer armies like necrons and even nids

Uhhh... They had no second edition Codex. Sisters of Battle were the last army to have a 2nd ed codex and even they, as ignored as they are, received a third ed codex.
The 2nd Ed you see on it's cover is simply telling everyone that GW ******** up the first time around and had to ADD new gear that should have been there from the beginning, ADD and new HQ choice that should have been there from the beginning and CHANGE some rules that shouldn't have been what they were in the beginning.

You know, things that make a codex playable to start with.

Thanatos_elNyx
30-04-2009, 16:06
I agree the only help Dark Eldar need are better Models.

But for a new Codex Necrons, a kingdom I will give.

laudarkul
30-04-2009, 16:15
DE need a new codex/major refit...
DH/WH aso need a new codex/medium refit (maybe some Custodians:D )...
So this three factions seems in my opinion the the next project for GW after the SW.
Necrons need some update...

Razarael
30-04-2009, 16:25
Dark Eldar as it stands have several problems. Most glaring and obvious is the utter crap that is most of the models. On this site alone, which is just a small sample, there have been tons of people that said they would play them if only their models were more appealing.

Second is the dire lack of background and fluff. If/when GW takes the time to put out a codex that has some meat to it, the stories will help bring in people that the current codex doesn't do. Their lack of support comes from awful timing, when pamphlet codices were the norm. In this era of 100 page+ codexes, the Dark Eldar dex is simply outshined. I also think, although I could be wrong about this, they were released in a boxed set that did more harm than good.

In a lot of ways, Necrons got the same treatment, although their codex does have more to it fluff wise. If both armies got new plastic models/kits, surely their popularity would increase. It's just a matter of GW doing it.

loveless
30-04-2009, 16:54
Sisters of Battle/Ecclesiarchy/Witch Hunters/Inquisition.

Easily the most entertaining portion of the 40K universe for me. There isn't a thing about that army that doesn't make me happy. I look at everything else that comes out (that I want) to be a mild distraction from my constant waiting for fancy new Inquisition goodies.

mkhurly
30-04-2009, 21:08
Dark Eldar

Ironhand
30-04-2009, 22:07
the tyranids havent won anything for a while, give them to the interstella dustbin

i also think dark eldar need to be retired to the fluff, because they dont do anything, no empire expansion, no tech devlopment. They just evil eldar like chaos are evil humans , but at leat chaos try to do stuff. why not add in peacefull orks and dieting tyranids :evilgrin:

Sorry to disappoint, but Jervis and Rick Priestly have both stated that GW will never "Squat" another race again. So Dark Eldar and Tyranids will be in the game for the forseeable future.

I suspect we won't see any Inquistion Codexes of any sort for quite a while simply because I suspect GW has not decided how they want to approach them.

Under the current paradigm each Codex has to stand on its own - no references to other Codexes, no allies, all rules contained in the Codex. Compare for instance the (very) old Space Wolves Codex and the Dark Angels Codex to see what I mean.

That means in addition to the fundamental decision of one Codex or two (or even three considering the Ordo Xenos) they have to decide whether to include things like Space Marine Tactical Squads and Imperial Guard platoons and tanks in the Codex, and exactly how.

So Inquistion players, be careful what you ask for - you might get it and find it not at all to your liking.

LonelyPath
30-04-2009, 22:09
Just to be quick:

Inquisition
DE
Nids
Necrons

tacoo
30-04-2009, 22:16
1.) Necrons- expensiveis everywhere, but monolith underpriced. Extremely expensive to get anti vechicle (3 H.destroyers cost almost as much as a squad of warriors for 3 fast lascannon). HtH units are useless, and overpriced. boring to play against and with, nearly all games turn to phase out.

2.) Space wolves- as old as DE, but never even seen anymore due to codex disaperance.

3.) Dark eldar- old, and wargear is complicated somtimes to new players.

4.) Daemonhunters- expensive, only comes after DE because recent IG codex will provide a minor bost if always allied with IG

Empire
30-04-2009, 22:21
Which Dark Eldar models REALLY need a redo? Which ones are the ugliest?

just because people dislike dark eldar dosnt instantley make them marine lovers

I'm sorry, I wasn't actually trying to imply that he liked the Marines; I was just tired of looking on GW, seeing the models, and noticing that the Marines have about ten times the amount of awesome stuff that, say, the Dark Eldar have.

I'm sorry, The Clairvoyant, if you took offense at my post. I sometimes write a bit too loose.

Imperius
30-04-2009, 22:26

Oh my... Have you read the Catalague in GW? The very first thing: HQ Archon, you look at the picture and you get this uglry horrible fat person who was suddenly dehydrated and then the wrinkles blast all over his skin.
Look through any Dark Eldar product list and you will scream.

Murphys Avatar
30-04-2009, 22:39
Dark Eldar, Necrons and then Tyranids.

Hopefully this should be the order of it too!!

Bloodknight
30-04-2009, 22:44
Actually that is not the Archon's face. The Archon wears a helmet with somebody else's face strapped over it. Take a look at my boss: (frankly, I think that the DE models are not that bad, they just tend to get unfitting and overly colourful paintjobs that make them look a lot goofier than they are).

Ivellis
30-04-2009, 22:58
I'm another one of those people that would play DE if they had new models. They were actually my first choice when I got into 40k during early 4th, but everyone told me not to play them because they'd get a new book soon. :P

Necrons are another army I'd play, but this time if they had a rules update to make them more competitive and less bland. Necron armies really lack character.

Inquisition definitely needs an update.

Tyranids and Tau should be the armies after those. They both got hit pretty hard by 5th. And 'nids are just totally overshadowed by Orks.

Side Note: I think every army should have a plastic HQ box with tonnes of options!

Razarael
30-04-2009, 23:29
@Bloodknight - that's a really good paintjob, and the incubi/warriors that I can see are fantastic. Although, no fault of your own, I have never liked the Archon model because of the Hell Mask (it is a hellmask, right?). It doesn't look scary or terrifying, it just looks like his face is dripping off.

In my opinion, all Eldar models, craftworld, dark, or otherwise, should never been seen without their helmets. For a race that is supposed to be beautiful to look at, all models without helmets look pretty awful to me. If I can avoid it, and I usually do, I use the fewest number of models without helmets as possible.

For the Archon, if only he didn't have that stretchy face over his... He'd be rather nice.

I'm still looking forward to them whenever they come out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Bloodknight
30-04-2009, 23:40
I agree on that. The Archon would be a better model without the mask, but the basics are alright :)
(Sorry for the bad pic of the Archon and Retinue, I just took a shot with my mobile through my display case's door, that's what the reflections are from). It was just an example for how much a paintjob can make or break a model. (These are of course not showcase quality; they are my tournament army, I don't have the skills or patience to do really good stuff. Too many minis to paint...). Most DE models are quite acceptable, IMO.

Here's another example, Lelith:

Straha
01-05-2009, 01:36
Dark Eldar: The models and codex are ancient. I've been putting off an army for years because I'm waiting for the update.

Necrons: They were a fairly popular army until gettin jobbed in 5th Edition.

Grey Knights/Witch Hunters: Both should be in a single codex with all plastic troop choices.

solkan
01-05-2009, 02:42
I agree on that. The Archon would be a better model without the mask, but the basics are alright :)
(Sorry for the bad pic of the Archon and Retinue, I just took a shot with my mobile through my display case's door, that's what the reflections are from). It was just an example for how much a paintjob can make or break a model. (These are of course not showcase quality; they are my tournament army, I don't have the skills or patience to do really good stuff. Too many minis to paint...). Most DE models are quite acceptable, IMO.

Here's another example, Lelith:

I have to agree, most of the Dark Eldar models aren't bad. Cruella d'Vile is a crime against humanity if only because of the inept "Let's paint a jumpsuit over a half naked crazy person" paintjob on the GW site, and it would be awesome if the Raider got the same supersizing and renovation which the current rhinos got compared to the original versions, but the figures are good if they're painted well.

40kdhs
01-05-2009, 04:58
GKs needs the update bad because of new chaos and demons.

genestealer_baldric
01-05-2009, 06:42

I'm sorry, I wasn't actually trying to imply that he liked the Marines; I was just tired of looking on GW, seeing the models, and noticing that the Marines have about ten times the amount of awesome stuff that, say, the Dark Eldar have.

I'm sorry, The Clairvoyant, if you took offense at my post. I sometimes write a bit too loose.

nah prob man, iam to rather sick of having marines rammed so far down my throat all the time.

i hear the dark eldars points on having some of the worst models currentley out, i was just trying to say from what ive seen and played they are still a more competative army than some newer armies.

i just guess iam not a fan of that race is all Jumpjetting lascannons grumble grumble ;)

The Clairvoyant
01-05-2009, 07:43

no probs. It takes a lot more than that to offend me :)

My post was based on my opinion - that i find some armies dull. Incidentally, yes i do have a marine army but i haven't used it for over 10 years. I have an ork army and a tyranid army (though i haven't used the tyranids for 10 years either!)

Nachturne
01-05-2009, 10:18
DE of course. Not just becuase the codex is out of date and not just because some of the models are hideous (I will never buy an archon) but I had to convert like 25% of my army just so I could field what I wanted. You cant buy an archon on a bike even though so many people field em that way and you cant find warriors with shredders or blasters besides ebay. I had to do a google search just to find what a blaster looked like cause there is no pic of it in the codex!

Not to say that converting isnt fun just make some bits or something kneadite aint cheap.

firechao
01-05-2009, 10:22
I think:
1) Space wolves (more because we already know they're coming then anything)
2) Dark Eldar
3) Necrons
4) Tau
5) Tyranids (im not sure about tyranids, i havent read the codex, so maybe we can change 4 and 5)
6) Inquisition
7) CSM

Now why:
2) old models, and as far as i know they have no way to destroy a monolith....Plus, they could cheapen their transports the way GW has made all transports cheaper (rhinos and Chimeras)
3)Absolutely no AT.... Pariahs also need reviewing, and so do a few other details...
4)Right now their AT is the only thing that makes them competitive in my opinion...
5)Not really sure, havent viewed their codex, but as far as i know their old....
6).... I just dont like them that much...
7) more because of the new SM codex, it kinda made them look.... too primitive, their vehicles arent as good, and they have less options.... and i do wish we had better fast attacks.... (Something along the lines of a land speeder, not an actual land speeder though, although i do looove nurgle bikers (T6, whats NOT to like???)) I do think they should also allow the marks to have more of an impact on the army, but thats it...