PDA

View Full Version : Weapons

Griffery
29-04-2009, 03:10
When it says two handed weapon under the weapon does that mean that you can not have an additional hand weapon, or a shield or what. Also can you get a magic weapon and an additional hand weapon? Also does anyone know if WoC Knights have lances when charging and then their ensorcelled weapons or do they have lances then normal weapons.

ICLRK625
29-04-2009, 03:12
If it takes 2 hands, you can use nothing else at the same time. That being said, however, some models can have (for example) both a great weapon and a hand weapon and shield (or two hand weapons, etc), in which case they must choose what they want to use when combat begins.

You can never have a magic weapon and mundane weapon, although you can have a magic weapon and mundane shield, or vice versa.

You choose either lances OR ensorcelled weapons, so after the charge with a lance, they count as having hand weapons (no bonuses).

Necromancy Black
29-04-2009, 03:21
When it says two handed weapon under the weapon does that mean that you can not have an additional hand weapon, or a shield or what. Also can you get a magic weapon and an additional hand weapon? Also does anyone know if WoC Knights have lances when charging and then their ensorcelled weapons or do they have lances then normal weapons.

The WoC has been faq'd to say that if you take Lances you loose the Enscrolled weapons.

The rules in the BRB for magic weapons say you can not use magic weapons with other weapons and you must use a magic weapon if you have one.

With lances you fight with them the whole time. They give +2 str on the charge but then do normal str.

With 2 handed weapons you can have other weapons and shields but when you use the 2-handed weapon you can't use another weapon or shield at the same time.

rottahn
29-04-2009, 07:51
With 2 handed weapons you can have other weapons and shields but when you use the 2-handed weapon you can't use another weapon or shield at the same time.

which makes me glad they didnt have a gift of chaos in the WoC book that was called "mutation-extra arm". the gift would undoubtedly have horrible wording(along with the rest of the WoC book).

oh the arguments that would have ensued on teh interwebz.

Griefbringer
29-04-2009, 08:32
You can never have a magic weapon and mundane weapon

Actually, you can have both: however, normally you are required to use the magic weapon as long as it exists, and can only revert to the mundane weapon once the magic weapon breaks.

Exception being Bretonnian characters, that can use a mundane lance on charge and then a magic weapon afterwards. They are also about the only ones who can actually change a weapon during the combat.

ICLRK625
29-04-2009, 12:15
Actually, you can have both: however, normally you are required to use the magic weapon as long as it exists, and can only revert to the mundane weapon once the magic weapon breaks.

Exception being Bretonnian characters, that can use a mundane lance on charge and then a magic weapon afterwards. They are also about the only ones who can actually change a weapon during the combat.

That's what I meant, thanks for clearing it up.

I meant to say you can never use a mundane and magic weapon at the same time, and in most cases, if you have a magic weapon, you MUST use it.

Veloxnex
29-04-2009, 14:11
That's what I meant, thanks for clearing it up.

I meant to say you can never use a mundane and magic weapon at the same time, and in most cases, if you have a magic weapon, you MUST use it.

UNLESS the magic weapon is a "hand weapon" too, then it can be used with a shield for the bonus or another mundane hand weapon for +1 A. There are however only a handful of these in the game. Eg. the Dark Elf whip of agony is: A Beastmaster Scourge that always strike a str 5. rules for the Scourge say its a hand weapon that armour piercing, so can becombined with an additional HW as normal.

And if you don't believe me on this it's in an FAQ, the second main rulebook one iirc.

Griefbringer
29-04-2009, 15:56
AFAIK magic hand weapons can not be normally combined with mundane hand weapon for the additional attack, due to the wording on BRB page 121: "A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons".

I could not find anything in the FAQs that would contradict this.

However, combining a magic hand weapon with a shield definitely gives the armour save bonus.

Keller
29-04-2009, 17:19
UNLESS the magic weapon is a "hand weapon" too, then it can be used with a shield for the bonus or another mundane hand weapon for +1 A. There are however only a handful of these in the game. Eg. the Dark Elf whip of agony is: A Beastmaster Scourge that always strike a str 5. rules for the Scourge say its a hand weapon that armour piercing, so can becombined with an additional HW as normal.

And if you don't believe me on this it's in an FAQ, the second main rulebook one iirc.

You cannot combine a magic weapon with anything but a mundane (or magic) shield, and only then if it is not a 2 handed weapon. You cannot use a mundane weapon w/ a magic one to gain +1 attack. Also, as stated, if you have a magic weapon, you must use it.

Also note:
If you have a magic weapon or magic shield, you cannot claim the additional +1 save for hw/shield on foot. Both items much be mundane in order to claim that bonus.

stripsteak
29-04-2009, 17:59
with the usual caveat of unless the item says otherwise such as the dark elf Dagger of Hotek

Griffery
29-04-2009, 20:21
Thank you very much for all of your replies. I just started playing two weeks ago so I am very noob and myy friend and I are still figuring things out yet. This definitely helped out alot. Thanks

Griefbringer
29-04-2009, 20:53
Also note:
If you have a magic weapon or magic shield, you cannot claim the additional +1 save for hw/shield on foot. Both items much be mundane in order to claim that bonus.

Not what the FAQ says:

"Q. Does a character benefit from the "Fighting with hand weapon and shield (infantry)" rule found on page 56, if armed with a mundane hand weapon and a magical shield?
A. Yes. However it will not if armed with a magical weapon and a mundane or magical shield, because the magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons."

The intention of the later part is debatable, since we know that there are some magic weapons that specifically state that they are hand weapons.

Nurgling Chieftain
29-04-2009, 21:44
The intention of the later part is debatable...How is it so debateable when it's actually stated plainly in the FAQ? :p

AndrewGPaul
29-04-2009, 21:52
Read his post again; the FAQ says you don't get the HW+shield bonus with a magic weapon "because the magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons". Thing is, some magic weapons retain the hand weapon special rule.

Griefbringer
29-04-2009, 21:55
I meant that by strict interpretation, magical weapons that have the special rule "hand weapon" do not benefit from the rules of hand weapons, which makes it a bit pointless for them to have the said rule in the first place.

A usual amount of "unless otherwise specified in item description" would have been helpful here.

Chipacabra
30-04-2009, 00:53
I meant that by strict interpretation, magical weapons that have the special rule "hand weapon" do not benefit from the rules of hand weapons, which makes it a bit pointless for them to have the said rule in the first place.

A usual amount of "unless otherwise specified in item description" would have been helpful here.

They lose the 'hand weapon' rule by virtue of being magical, but then they get the rule right back, so it all works out OK.

Kalandros
30-04-2009, 01:16
Man, the spelling of some people here make it so hard to comprehend whats going on and the answers are all over the place.

Mundane Hand Weapon + Mundane Shield = Parry Bonus
Mundane Hand Weapon + Magical Shield = Parry Bonus
Magic Weapon + Any Shield = No Parry Bonus
Magic Weapon with "Hand Weapon" in its rules + Any Shield = Parry Bonus

Magic Weapon with "Hand Weapon" in its rules cannot be combined with a second Hand Weapon
Magic Weapon with exception (Dark Elves - Dagger of Hotek) may be combined with a Mundane Hand Weapon for +1 Attack or second Magic Weapon (Dark Elves - Crone Hellebron).