PDA

View Full Version : The Almighty Comet

Dark_Ritualz
29-04-2009, 04:38
Heres an interesting thought i had the other day.

lets say that you have a vampire lord in a 10man unit of GraveGuards, anf an ugly little skink priest throws a comet at ure feet.

he gets the ball down and manages to roll 12 on the 2d6 at number of hits.

now to the tricky part. if he manages to score these 12 wounds but there is only 10 GGs to take the hits, would u reroll to wound those 2 left wounds on the vampire? since they got different thoughness it makes a lot trickier.

what do u think?

//Dark_Ritualz:chrome:

Chiungalla
29-04-2009, 04:42
If there are 5 or more rank & file models (not champions) when the unit got hit by the comet, you can not damage the characters in the unit at all.

The unit will be completly destroyed, leaving the vampire lord as a single model.

Isabel
29-04-2009, 06:50
Chiungalla is correct. You would go about the wounds from the comet just like shooting attacks.

Urgat
29-04-2009, 06:52
now to the tricky part. if he manages to score these 12 wounds but there is only 10 GGs to take the hits, would u reroll to wound those 2 left wounds on the vampire? since they got different thoughness it makes a lot trickier.

what do u think?

//Dark_Ritualz:chrome:

That we all agree. Your friend did an overkill on the GG, the two wounds left are lost.

Milgram
29-04-2009, 07:28
but your vampire has to do a panik test. well... at least he would have to do one if you throw him back in time so he'd be alive again and therefore not ItP.

Necromancy Black
29-04-2009, 07:33
There is no wound allocation like there is in 40k. Characters in units with 5 or more non-champion models are basically immune to normal shooting hits until there is less then 5 other models.

Cats Laughing
29-04-2009, 09:14
Is the "quick rolling" rule no longer an optional suggestion?

In past editions of WHFB, rolling all your "to hits" "to wounds" etc... at once was a optional suggestion, and not the "only way to play." So you could conceivably roll each "to wound" individually, until no graveguard remained, then roll remaining hits on the now "all by himself" Vampire.

Not suggested, as it can really slow down play and cause arguments, but an option that was available in older editions and might still be (no book here to check).

Necromancy Black
29-04-2009, 09:31
No, can't do that. In fact, things like Conflagration of Doom have been FAQ'd to say roll for all hits first to avoid such weird things like hitting characters.

T10
29-04-2009, 09:52
If a unit of more 5 or more rank-and-file troops and any number of characters get hit by a shooting attack then all hits are applied to the rank and file.

If the unit contains less than 5 rank-and-file troopers then hits are first distributed evently among the models, and any left-over hits are randomized with an equal chance of hitting each model. Hits on rank-and-file models are resolved collectively, hits on characters are resolved specifically.

E.g.: A unit of 4 rank-and-file and 1 character suffers 18 hits from shooting. Distributing the 15 first hits evenly among the 5 models results in 12 hits on the rank-and-file and 3 hits on the character. The 3 remaining hits need to be allocated randomly. Here is one way to do it:

Take five playing cards. Indicate one of them to represent the character. Shuffle the cards and place them face down. Pick three cards at random. If the character-card is picked then the character suffers a total of 4 hits and the rank-and-file suffer 14 hits. Otherwise the character suffers 3 hits and the rank-and-file suffers 15 hits.

There are other methods.

-T10

Necromancy Black
29-04-2009, 10:52
If a unit of more 5 or more rank-and-file troops and any number of characters get hit by a shooting attack then all hits are applied to the rank and file.

Remember that champions count as characters for all purposes of shooting, so you need 5 non-champion rank and file models.

Ultimate Life Form
29-04-2009, 11:04
Remember that champions count as characters for all purposes of shooting, so you need 5 non-champion rank and file models.

Wait, but I thought under the current rules, a Champion dies along with itīs unit? For example, in close combat, thereīs 4 regular guys and a champ. The attackers strike at normal guys only and cause 5 wounds. Because the Champ is in effect, as my tournament playing mate told me, still a normal unit member, heīll die even though he has not been targeted. Did I get something wrong here, or is it different for shooting purposes?

Chicago Slim
29-04-2009, 11:07
s the "quick rolling" rule no longer an optional suggestion?

In past editions of WHFB, rolling all your "to hits" "to wounds" etc... at once was a optional suggestion, and not the "only way to play." So you could conceivably roll each "to wound" individually, until no graveguard remained, then roll remaining hits on the now "all by himself" Vampire.

Quick-rolling isn't the issue, and doesn't even come into play, here. The issue is that Characters don't take shooting hits directed at large (> 5 rnf models) units that they've joined. As a side-note, the most recent FAQ has again noted that you don't HAVE to quick-roll-- but in this particular case, it still wouldn't allow you to hit the vampire.

Well, all purposes except one: if there are enough RnF hits to kill all the RnF and still have one left over, the champion will take that hit, and be killed.

(edit: Ha! I was beaten to this point, as I was typing!)

So, to be clear, the Comet blows up, kills all the regular RnF, kills the unit champion, leaves the Vampire unscathed. Let us know if you need page number references-- I don't have my book in front of me, but I can supply citations if needed.

Necromancy Black
29-04-2009, 23:06
Ah yes, forgot to mention the exception in the champion rules saying if there are enough wounds done to a unit to wipe it out the champion must die as well.

This really annoys people in Close Combat where if you can do enough wounds you can kill the unit champion without actually directing attacks against it :p

Mercules
30-04-2009, 02:22
Hits are allocated BEFORE wounds are rolled for. At the time of rolling the wounds to damage the unit the Vampire has already been saved because ALL the hits would have to be allocated to the 5+ unit.

Chicago Slim
30-04-2009, 03:37
That's a good way to explain, Mercules-- thanks!