PDA

View Full Version : Genestealer Cult?

Hexfourth
29-04-2009, 06:00
I've recently gotten into 40k and Tyranids and have played a few games (loving my army choice). I was thinking about if I were to go for another army which I might choose. Of course this will be a while off as Nids are too much for my wallet at the moment, I still wanted to keep my eyes peeled for something that seemed interesting.

I've heard of the Genestealer cult on warseer and at my game shop. Hell I even sold a few extra bits to a guy who wanted to make a cult army a week or two back. I just recently aquired the .pdf file and have been looking through their stats and rules. I can't make heads or tails of if I like the army or not. There're also a lot of questions in how I play the army since some of it seems really outdated (old rending rules, genestealers as elites and with strange reserve rules, etc.). I really like the idea and feel, however.

Basically I'd like to know if anyone has played them or played against them, if (in their opinion) it's a decent army to collect / build, and what can be done about the outdated items in the codex.

squeekenator
29-04-2009, 06:11
There is no official Genestealer Cult codex, so anything you've come across is fan-made. Because it's fan-made stuff, there are a lot of GC codexes floating around on the interwebs, so no-one can really help you there, and there's a chance that people won't agree to play against you. If you want a Genestealer Cult, your best bet is a counts-as army.

Logarithm Udgaur
29-04-2009, 06:20
The second and third edition Genestealer Cult codexes would beg to differ on that point. What you probably meant to say is there is no current GC codex.

squeekenator
29-04-2009, 06:23
Really? I never knew there was a 3rd edition version. Well, that shows how much I know.

Hexfourth
29-04-2009, 06:41
The one I found seems to be too old for comfort. I found a mini-dex on Bell of the Lost Souls for the cult and it seems to flow much better in regards to present rules.

I really think I'll just keep the idea floating around, but for now I'm probably simply going to focus on my Nids.

Thanks for the comments.

Lungboy
29-04-2009, 09:20
The BoLS list is pretty good, and if anything rather underpowered. In a friendly environment i doubt most people would object to you using it.

Muncher666
29-04-2009, 11:29
It was actually used in a local tournament recently - apparently it went off a treat (the BoLS one).

As far as I'm aware, there never was a codex for stealer cults in 3rd ed, and the list for 2nd was more the equivalent of a 'ravening hordes' sorta thing that came with the 2nd ed rulebook.

Allan.

Leftenant Gashrog
29-04-2009, 11:43
There was no separately published codex book for them in 3rd edition, but there was an army list published in Citadel Journal.

Random factoid: In RT there were 3 Genestealer army lists: Invasion Force, Clan and Cult.. and the Cult was by definition a Genestealer Chaos Cult.

Bob Hunk
29-04-2009, 12:05
It was actually used in a local tournament recently - apparently it went off a treat (the BoLS one).

As far as I'm aware, there never was a codex for stealer cults in 3rd ed, and the list for 2nd was more the equivalent of a 'ravening hordes' sorta thing that came with the 2nd ed rulebook.

Allan.

As others have mentioned, the Citadel Journel (now sadly departed) published a list in the early days of 3rd edition.

There was indeed a 'ravening hordes' style list in with the 2nd edition box that was a mish-mash of Tyranid and 'Stealer cult units. When 2nd edition Codex:Tyranids came out it included a seperate appendix list in the back for Cults. I used to have a lot of fun with this back in the day. :)

I've been meaning to revisit my Genestealers for a long time, but IMHO none of the fan lists really capture the right feel of the cult for me, so if I ever get around to this project it'll be 'counts as' using the current Tyranid codex.

Broodlord > Patriarch
'Stealers > 'Stealers
Gaunts > Hybrids
Zoanthrope > Magus

Alternatively, you could use the Guard codex I guess...

Primus psyker > Magus
Battle psyker squad > Hybrid Acolytes
Penal legion > Hybrid Neophytes
Everyone else > Brood brothers

Hmmm...not a bad idea actually.