PDA

View Full Version : Spiders...

hwd
29-04-2009, 09:30
I'm currently pondering on starting a war of the ring army but will only do so if I can take what I wanted to. I haven't got the rulebook and so wanted to see if what I intend is possible before I spend all my monies!

I understand that you cannot take an army just consisting of ents, which is just annoying as this is exactly what I wanted to do. Grrr

So, second choice, is spiders, and alot of them. Is it possible to take a whole army that just consists of spiders?

Cheers all,

Hwd

Rirekon
29-04-2009, 09:59
I think so - can't remember off the top of my head for certain but I believe there is a Common Spider Formation...

On the subject of an Ent only army you could always discuss the idea with your regular play group (assuming you have one of course) and see what they say. It won't work for tournaments but in friendly games I can see ways to make it playable.

Emissary
29-04-2009, 11:49
Yup, the giant spider swarm in the misty mountains list is common so it can be done.

Sedge
29-04-2009, 12:04
Is there a Epic spider hero or a legendary spider formation? If not then it wouldn't be a legal army.

Rirekon
29-04-2009, 12:16
I'm pretty sure there's Shelob (or generic Spider Queen) as a Legendary Formation

Sedge
29-04-2009, 12:59
But isn't that in the Mordor list?

hwd
29-04-2009, 12:59
The consensus seems to be that it is possible which is all coolio but I'm still desperate for an ent army...

How can Ents be taken? How much other stuff (and what other stuff) would I need to take to get 2 or 3 ents?

Leogun_91
29-04-2009, 13:22
The consensus seems to be that it is possible which is all coolio but I'm still desperate for an ent army...

How can Ents be taken? How much other stuff (and what other stuff) would I need to take to get 2 or 3 ents?Ents are common formations but are part of a list that can only be allies so no more than 25% of you´r points may be ents, if you take expensive formations (say elfs or Dol Amroth knights) as you´r main you don´t need too many others models, many expensive heroes helps with this as well. You can have up to 3 epic hero ents but they are expensive. Also the Isengard doom scenario forces you too take an all ent army. What battles did the ents take part of in Middle-earth? Was the siege of Isengard the first? Otherwise you can take those that they fought with in one of those battles.

Rirekon
29-04-2009, 14:12
But isn't that in the Mordor list?

Doesn't matter, you can ally it. Allies count towards your minimums, so you could for instance take Goblin allies as your only Common Formations in an Isengard army.

Emissary
29-04-2009, 14:19
I think the point is that you couldn't use Shelob as the leader of your army. You still have to have a legendary formation or epic hero to lead the army. If you wanted an all spider army, you'd have to have a non-spider to lead the army.

Rirekon
29-04-2009, 14:25
Where does it say that legendary can't be from an ally? Need to check but I'm pretty sure the bit about how allies count for minimum formation counts doesn't exclude legendaries or epics.

Sarah S
29-04-2009, 17:04
It doesn't say that exactly, but what it does say is that after choosing your army, you choose your leader and your common formation, and then you can choose allies.

So the leader and the first common formation which make the army legal have to be from your original army.

xxRavenxx
29-04-2009, 18:30
The other thing to consider is "who would argue?"

If I saw my opponent take out a themed all spider list, I would in no way be upset that they bent the allying rule to be led by shelob.

The Adept
29-04-2009, 19:14
There's a spider leading goblin called Druzhag the Beastcaller. He's really quite good, with Imspiring leader (beasties), 3 might, a caster, and he can summon more beasties! For a bargin basement price, as well. I think he's your best bet.

fubukii
29-04-2009, 21:28
theres a spider queen in the misty mountains list it has might as wel and can lead your army.

Sarah S
29-04-2009, 21:31
The rule isn't that something be a Hero or have Might points to be the leader.

The leader must be either:
1.) an Epic Hero, or
2.) a Legendary Formation

Rirekon
29-04-2009, 23:30
Now I have access to my book I'll confirm Sarah S is right (as usual :p), so from a rules perspective you can't field a pure Spider (or Ent) list.

However unless you intend on playing in tournaments I would just discuss this with your opponents before hand. It really doesn't seem that it would break things too badly (if at all really) if you just built an army using only those units;
i.e.
Treebeard
Lots of Ents

or

Shelob
Lots of spiders (obeying the Common/Rare rules)

So I say go for it if it's what floats your boat, just talk to other people before dropping the list on them :)

Sarah S
30-04-2009, 00:13
I think the Spider list might be a little more friendly than an army of Ents...

I would personally be willing to accommodate against a Spider army, if someone were so inclined, but I think I might be leery about the sort of game that an army of Ents would provide. I'd try it, but I don't know if I'd ask for a repeat too soon!

Bulwark
30-04-2009, 03:31
I'm building an all spider army. Druzhag will be the non-spider leader. But hey, any goblin that is inspiring leader (spiders) and can create 3 companies of spiders a turn is ok in my book.

Angelust
30-04-2009, 06:58
Last game my druzhag summoned 18 spiders over 3 turns...nastiness for his point cost (two lores too!)

Axis
30-04-2009, 07:48
Take Druzhag as your leader. He has inspiring leader to spiders so it fits the theme! For a cavalry option (since spiders are cav) model him on a spider.

Also shelob as allies is nice too.

I would be uninclined to play you since i;m a bit arachnophobic. I'd still play, i'd just try get more satisfaction out of killing them lol.

jaws900
30-04-2009, 08:12
Its the same fro a troll army and thet would ahve a fair few diffrences (Cave, Morodr, Isengard, Drummer, Chieftain and Buradur)
For spiders you only have Spiders, Spider queens and Shelob. You could go with a wild WOTR army combining Bats and wild Wargs in there (And not having the new goblin hero in there would be sinful.)

JHK
02-05-2009, 15:39
Troll armies are hard because they are always a rare choice, so you need something there to "allow" you to take all of those trolls.

But I do think that a "wild" army would be great fun. I was saddened that they didn;t make an Epic Warg hero.

Kroot Lord
11-05-2009, 19:39
You also have Broodlings, which are quite interesting, and Bats are excellent allies too, mind you.