PDA

View Full Version : paradox in SM codex

Cythus
29-04-2009, 20:06
ok, in the vanguard section of the SM codex it says that, for the majority, to get into the 1st company requires decades/centuries of services, usually as a veteran sargent
however in the tactical squad section it says thast the veteran sargents are very experienced usually spending decades/centuries in the 1st before transferal

obviously these are conflicting statments. Any thoughts on the subject/ways it can be resolved?

Count de Monet
29-04-2009, 20:13
Same solution as with other problems in GW books.

Proper proofreading and editing.

AbyssRaven
30-04-2009, 10:42
Dont you know? All tactical veterans are the age of Logan Grimnar, and often older then chater masters who are only nominated by their height, not age or skill (10 interweb points if you spot the referance!)

Nicha11
30-04-2009, 10:45
Poor editing in a GW book?

I thin I need to sit down for a bit....

hawo0313
30-04-2009, 10:50
man thats weird let me think.....

doesn't it say that the tactical marines themselves are the more experienced of the assault, devastator and scouts and then I believe the next rank would be sergeant or maybe you have a choice like the scout sergeants and you can stay and remain a sergeant or move to the first company this is really weird.:confused:

AbyssRaven
30-04-2009, 10:52
I think dev's are now the youngest after Scouts.

used to go
Scout->tac->Assault->Dev->veteran from memory now i think its
Scout->Dev->Assault->tac->veteran
I may be wrong though

pookie
30-04-2009, 11:23
bit like Sternguard are also noted as Vanguard in the same paragraph ( ie - se above - proof Reading)

hawo0313
30-04-2009, 11:29
I think dev's are now the youngest after Scouts.

used to go
Scout->tac->Assault->Dev->veteran from memory now i think its
Scout->Dev->Assault->tac->veteran
I may be wrong though

think your right but does the veteran in your flow chart also represent terminator?

AbyssRaven
30-04-2009, 11:32
Terminators are Veterans in a different sort of armour.

So yes it does. By Veteran i mean 1st Company.

Also Squad Veterans apply after the Veteran Selection.

Though in the old codex, for tactical at least, Squad veterans were a step before 1st Company if i recall, i may be wrong on this

Pendragon
30-04-2009, 15:03
I think it's more like this:
Scout
Devastator - Tactical - Assault
Veteran

The question is wether veteran sergeants are picked from the 1st company or the 1st company is picked from the veteran sergeants...

/Joel

Boss Kopstud
30-04-2009, 15:40
The new progression is Scout, Devistator, Assault, Tactical, Veteran (1st Company). IIRC, Vet SGTs have not necessarily been inducted in to the 1st Company yet, but could have been, then reassigned back to a line unit. After all, there's only 100 slots in the 1st Company, and you could have more that 100 "vereran" Marines in service to the chapter. I think some of this stems from using the word veteran in two different ways, first to represent level of experience and length of service AND as a title (i.e. Veteran squad, Veteran Company). As far as Terminators go, that's simply an equipment option for members of the 1st Company.

Secondwind
30-04-2009, 16:08
Are you sure thid isint just a typo in that normal sergeants take a few centuries to get to 1st company then once in first company can go to be a veteran sergeant after brushing up their skills further?

Narf
30-04-2009, 22:55
Dont you know? All tactical veterans are the age of Logan Grimnar, and often older then chater masters who are only nominated by their height, not age or skill (10 interweb points if you spot the referance!)

I'm gonna sing the DOOM song now! doom doom doom doom............