PDA

View Full Version : Black carapace and sensation

The_Chaos_Seer
30-04-2009, 05:25
Hm, Space Marines are neurally linked to their armor through their black carapace. Can they feel environmental sensation through the surface of their power armor? If they run their power-armored hands across metal and wood, but couldn't see it, could they tell the difference?

NightrawenII
30-04-2009, 07:09
If they run their power-armored hands across metal and wood, but couldn't see it, could they tell the difference?

In one of Ragnar books is hit about this but not specified.

Lothlanathorian
30-04-2009, 07:10
I don't think it would be that good in most power armor, although I am sure that some awesome high-end =][= suits might be able to

The_Chaos_Seer
30-04-2009, 07:20
If they run their power-armored hands across metal and wood, but couldn't see it, could they tell the difference?

In one of Ragnar books is hit about this but not specified.

Hm, can you clarify what you mean?

NightrawenII
30-04-2009, 14:00
Hm, can you clarify what you mean?

nope:)
Read the first book.
(hit in my post is hint:D)

TheBigBadWolf
30-04-2009, 14:15
Hm, Space Marines are neurally linked to their armor through their black carapace. Can they feel environmental sensation through the surface of their power armor? If they run their power-armored hands across metal and wood, but couldn't see it, could they tell the difference?

Mmm, probably not it acts more like a second skin, movement style not sensory style.

Lord Malice
30-04-2009, 14:27
The only way a Marine would be able to 'feel' objects in this manner would be if the material of the armour had nerves built into it which is something I have never seen in the background and seems unlikely in any case.

If the material of a marine's gauntlets was flexible (which is how they are depicted in some instances and in others as a metal) he might be able to get enough of a sense of what he was touching to have a guess at what it was if touch was the only sense he had to rely on.

Burnthem
30-04-2009, 14:32
I've certainly always been under the impression that 'normal' Marine PA does not offer tactile sensation, only movement and strength assistance etc. As Lothlanathorian said though, i wouldn't be surprised if the more 'high end' suits present in the imperium (Inquisition equipment, rare Marine equipment, Officio Assassinorum stuff etc etc) did have the capability though.

PondaNagura
30-04-2009, 14:38
i'd imagine they would have some tactile feedback from their gauntlets, temperature, texture, as well as smaller sensors around their bodies, to know where they've been hit or tears in their armor may be.

the second skin is more in terms of motion and flexibility, where the interfaces connect the artificial musculature of their armor to the same relays of their natural limbs.

Lothlanathorian
30-04-2009, 19:47
I wouldn't really think they 'feel' where they get hit so much as they know because the armor is telling them. Of course, I am also trying to figure out how you would 'feel' being shot without actually feeling the pain. It wouldn't be like being numb, you would just know that is where you were hit.

PondaNagura
30-04-2009, 20:00
probably in a similar way that someone wearing body armor can get struck and still 'feel' where the bullet impacted...though less acheness and bruising.

Krieg Marshall
30-04-2009, 20:39
I think that wearing a power armor is almost like wearing a mid age armor, with gloves. The only difference would be the neural link between the armor and the person how wear it, the strenght, the movement, etc. To sum up it's more like being in ventilated tin can, you don't really feel something, bearly you can guess what you're touching.