PDA

View Full Version : 2250 VC List

ZombieMans
30-04-2009, 15:57
I've been playing a few games, and this is what I've come up with as a viable list.

2250 Flying Vampire List

Vampire Lord (General)
With:
Master of the Black Arts (+2 dice)
Forgotten Lore (Knows all of 1 Lore)
Lord of the Dead (+1 to raise skele’s)
Wristbands of Black Gold (+3 vs Ranged attacks)
Cadaverous Cuirass (Immune to Killing Blow and Poison)
Helm of Command (Gives WS to other unit)
+1 ML
Hellsteed (flying)

Vampire (BSB)
With:
Dark Acolyte (+1 ML)
Avatar of Death (Hvy armor + shield)
BS
Banner of Drakenholf

Vampire (Summoner)
With:
Dark Acolyte (+1 ML)
Black Periapt (Save 1 power die)
Book of Arkhan (Bound Van Hals)

Wight King
With:
Skeletal Steed
Barding
Lance

Skeletons (10)
Skeletons (10)
With:
Standard
Skeletons (10)
With:
Champion
Muscisian
Standard
Banner of Hellfire
Dire Wolves (5)

Black Knights(6)
With:
Champion
Barding
Black Knights (5)
With:
Champion
Barding
Standard
Banner of Barrows
Grave Guard (10)
With:
Champion
Standard

Varghoulf
Cairn Wraith (3)

I've heard the criticism about the sizes of the skeletons and grave-guard units, but I find they list. I use the GG as a flanking unit, and with the Drakenholf banner they become nigh unkillable. And I have enough power dice to summon up the skeletal units early on, especially with 2 Lords of the Dead.

Any suggestions regarding the rest?

Malorian
30-04-2009, 16:09
Why not give the banner to the wight king? It's safer there.

And that lord is really risky... and seeing as how he isn't set up for combat I can't see why you wouldn't just put him in a bunker. (Unless you are hoping for the flaming sword and then that makes it even more risky...)

(I know you said you've heard it, but those units are dangerously small...)

jax40kplyr1
30-04-2009, 16:20
Not a bad list - 9 pwr dice and 1 bound. I would put your BSB on the Wight King - makes it alot more surviveable.
Would also watch out for the Hellsteed on your General - he can't hide in a bunker unit and if your going to use the Helm effectively, he'll need to be close to your advancing infantry.
Would swap out the Banner of Hellfire onto either your GG or your Black Knights - skellies just don't do enough damage to really justify it. They win through comb res.
The black knights are vulnerable in small numbers like that - most VC lists I see run them 10 strong. It will take alot of your pwr dice to bring them back, which you'll want to be focusing on raising up skellies.

ZombieMans
30-04-2009, 19:04
Just about everyone I play with tells me that cav should only be taken in blocks of 5, so I figured 6 wasn't too bad.

As far as the General goes, I know that he could be safer in a bunker, but the maneuverability of the flying mount means I can jump from one side of the board to the next and give support wherever it's needed. It makes the list alot more versatile. The only thing I should ever worry about is getting shot at, and when I have a 3+ ward save, I'm not too worried on that account. I would have to do something stupid, like leave my general in the open so a great cannon can take a shot at him. Plus, I will always be able to use the helm because my general should never be in hand to hand.

And yes, I could give the banner to the Wight King... You guys think I should switch the Vamp into the unit of BK's? I would lose the bonus of having the banner of the Barrows with the BK's, because the Wight King gets that bonus too.

Also, the banner of hellfire seems redundant in either the BK's or the GG... I mean, they have killing blow. If I roll any 6's to wound, I negate a regen save anyway.

Malorian
30-04-2009, 19:54
Personally I think 6 is fine for black knights, and I would actually put the banner on the wight king AND join him to the knights. But at that point you are looking at a high priority deathstar and you might as well combine the two untis for maximum effect.

VC armies are typically very tight (needing to stick near the vampires) and with the range of your magic you really shouldn't be needing to fly from one side of the board to the other. The 12 inch march into a closer unit and the 12-18 inch range of the spell should be plenty.

And if you are hiding from cannons (not being in the open) then you are reducing he effectiveness (assuming there is a series of small woods going up the center of the board).

ZombieMans
01-05-2009, 04:12
Well, cannons can't target something behind a bunch of rank and file, can they? Even if their on hills?

And it seems really hard to flank people if I keep things that close together. I like the option of being able to deploy across the board instead of bunching everything up.

Edit: Though don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the advice. Gets me thinking =)

Malorian
01-05-2009, 14:31
You bet they can. On a hill you can target anything you see and even if it isn't on a hill it can bounce or over-guess (yes sure it's debatably cheating, but good luck proving he's just not bad at guessing ranges).

I think if you like to deploy across the board that you might have picked the wrong army ;) But more power to you if you want to try and make it work.

Keller
01-05-2009, 15:10
Vampire (Summoner)
With:
Dark Acolyte (+1 ML)
Black Periapt (Save 1 power die)
Book of Arkhan (Bound Van Hals)

This is illegal, as you have two Arcane items.

ZombieMans
01-05-2009, 17:54
Good call! Didn't see that. Thanks.

ZombieMans
04-05-2009, 16:26
Ooooook... so I played a friend of mine who uses Chaos Dwarves. He had four bolt throwers on a hill, and let loose all of them at my Lord.

He hit three times, then wounded twice. I failed 1 save, then he rolled 3 wounds.

Ba-dum, insta-dead Lord.

I see what you guys were saying, now =P

Time to come up with a new list.

GreenSpeed
04-05-2009, 19:12
I would be really worried about the size of your skelly units. One turn of shooting and magic can kill a unit in the first turn if he focuses his fire.

Once your units are gone their gone. My bunker is 12 guys big just for that reason.

ZombieMans
05-05-2009, 00:36
Yeah, I'm thinking of bumping the Skeletons up to 15 and the GG up to 14.

Having now faced a shooty army, I can see how a -really- shooty army would be able to hurt small units.

CrimsonLord
10-05-2009, 21:23
I have the same problem against 2 spear chukkas. They usually cut down my infantry before I can get my wraiths to attack them.